Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box DS

8.8

1. [ANONYMOUS]
    Oct 3, 2009
    I was counting down the days until this game came out and finished it under 10 hours when it did. Amazing gameplay, storyline, puzzles, soundtrack, everything! Level-5 definitely need to bring out more epic games. Should be apart of every DS player's collection.
  2. JoshN
    Aug 29, 2009
    When I first played the original game, Professor Layton and the Curious Village, I found myself staring in awe at the amazing visuals a DS game can offer. So it's no surprise that I completed it as fast as I could and throughly enjoyed the adventure. The only problem I had with it was that it grew incredibally difficult near the end. I waited for ages for the new Layton to come out When I first played the original game, Professor Layton and the Curious Village, I found myself staring in awe at the amazing visuals a DS game can offer. So it's no surprise that I completed it as fast as I could and throughly enjoyed the adventure. The only problem I had with it was that it grew incredibally difficult near the end. I waited for ages for the new Layton to come out and once again, it fails to disapoint. I first noticed that his game has much more video anime than the first one which I thought was a good idea as I enjoyed watching the video's in the first one. Also the voice of the main parts of the text is also an amazing addition to the already amazing game. The puzzles have been eased down from genius to the fact that you now have some chance to complete the game, if you new to the series. The brilliance of the game lies in the remarkable story behind it all. I found the story gripping and suspense to say the least and I thorughly enjoyed it. I think this is a must buy for any Layton fan, as the next one hould be even more promising, and a must buy for any new fan to the series. In short, one of the best game ever made for DS and any other console! Expand
  3. ChrisD
    Sep 22, 2009
    All Professor Layton and the Diabolical box had to do to satisfy fans was give more story and more puzzles and it succeeded. It took a great game and made modest improvements (more mini-games, a memo pad for your puzzle solving, more areas to explore instead of just one town) that make this one of the best series for the DS. The drawback for this series is replay value but between the All Professor Layton and the Diabolical box had to do to satisfy fans was give more story and more puzzles and it succeeded. It took a great game and made modest improvements (more mini-games, a memo pad for your puzzle solving, more areas to explore instead of just one town) that make this one of the best series for the DS. The drawback for this series is replay value but between the weekly puzzle downloads and the unlockable content between titles help stave off the staleness from setting in. Expand
  4. DanF
    Sep 24, 2009
    I'm honestly surprised this game didn't hit 90 on the Metacritic scale. I absolutely love this game. I can't put it down when I start playing. It is without a doubt the best DS game I have ever played.
  5. Jun 7, 2015
    An improvement over the already very good first game in the series. Pandora's Box has all the charm of the first, with a more interesting, less convoluted story. A very sweet ending too. The puzzles are largely more of the same thing, with different wordings but basically the same patterns as before, which is a shame but it is helped by leaving a little time between playing each game inAn improvement over the already very good first game in the series. Pandora's Box has all the charm of the first, with a more interesting, less convoluted story. A very sweet ending too. The puzzles are largely more of the same thing, with different wordings but basically the same patterns as before, which is a shame but it is helped by leaving a little time between playing each game in the series.

Very worth playing, but mainly for the story.
  6. Jan 23, 2012
    Having greatly enjoyed the Curious Village I was expecting something at least as good, but I was disappointed. The story is good and the mystery fascinating, with graphics, music and videos always of top-notch quality. The puzzles instead are rather unbalanced. Too many 25 picarats puzzles, with the difficulty (in picarat terms) being assigned seemingly at random, and too many unclear orHaving greatly enjoyed the Curious Village I was expecting something at least as good, but I was disappointed. The story is good and the mystery fascinating, with graphics, music and videos always of top-notch quality. The puzzles instead are rather unbalanced. Too many 25 picarats puzzles, with the difficulty (in picarat terms) being assigned seemingly at random, and too many unclear or ambiguous puzzles. Compared to the first game, I felt much less challenged and much less surprised of the puzzles and of the events in the game. What I really enjoyed was the overwhelming dark mood (which could be a deterrent to people looking for joyful and sunny settings), the characters and the mini-games. There are at least 4 mini-games to be had this time and all of them are simple and relaxing. Overall, I was disappointed by this title, but I'm definitely looking for more in the next episode. Expand
  7. Apr 30, 2012
    If I could give this a 7.5 I would. I love Curious Village and Unwound Future, but this was a slight disappointment. While there are some great mini-games and puzzles, the story's final twist is too silly and requires to big a suspension of disbelief. It was a real let down. It's almost made up for by the oddly charming gimmick of the final puzzle, but not quite. But worst of all are theIf I could give this a 7.5 I would. I love Curious Village and Unwound Future, but this was a slight disappointment. While there are some great mini-games and puzzles, the story's final twist is too silly and requires to big a suspension of disbelief. It was a real let down. It's almost made up for by the oddly charming gimmick of the final puzzle, but not quite. But worst of all are the endlessly repeated "Disappearing Act" puzzles, which I cannot forgive. Expand
  8. Mar 8, 2013
    I will start by saying every layton game is a treat. This one is no exception. Compared to other layton games i would say the plot is average, with a beautiful ending that is worth waiting for. The puzzles are great as always and the scenery is amazing. Very well worth your time. I would say this game improves on the original on every aspect possible.

#18 Most Discussed DS Game of 2009
#3 Most Shared DS Game of 2009

1. A predictable and challenging sequel. It has a nonchalant appeal that can capture anyone’s heart. And good news, as far as the sequel... wait, solve this puzzle first.
  2. A spectacular sequel. It retains the wonderful and challenging puzzles from the original while offering grander story. There's a wealth of content, with over 150 puzzles and three different mini-games.
    Overall this is a great puzzle game with both an entertaining story and mind-bending puzzles. The numerous locations are both a burden on the art style and a blessing for the expanded scope of the game.