Professor Layton and the Unwound Future DS

9.1

1. Nov 13, 2011
    Most of the 5 points I've awarded this title are for the story, which is lovely, as in previous Layton games. Unfortunately the gameplay lets it down - many of the puzzles are rehashes of those from the previous games, and some really clutch at straws - some really convoluted questions and solutions.

The graphics have improved from the previous title, and there are a lot more animated sections that add exposition to the tale. Layton himself shows a different side throughout the story, fleshing out the character beyond his desperate need to be a gentleman.

Side missions this time around include the completion of 3 sticker books, where you need to place the correct stickers on the correct pages to tell the story; a radio controlled car game where you have a limited number of direction-changing arrows to guide the car to the end; and a parrot delivery game in which you draw perches to guide you parrot to it's goal. You get to name the parrot when you meet him - the potential for hilarity is great ;)

These side missions add a lot of time and value to the game, and provide some of the most difficult puzzles on the cart.

Fans of the series will surely enjoy this, but the challenge is slight compared to the previous two titles.
  2. Mar 2, 2013
    Sorry to say, but I just didn't feel this as much as I felt the others in the series. The location got pretty old quick, puzzles could be guess and checked which is exactly what you don't want to happen. The story was also pretty farfetched. Now I know, all of the stories are farfetched, but this one was so out of it. I could count several plot holes that arose from the last few twists,Sorry to say, but I just didn't feel this as much as I felt the others in the series. The location got pretty old quick, puzzles could be guess and checked which is exactly what you don't want to happen. The story was also pretty farfetched. Now I know, all of the stories are farfetched, but this one was so out of it. I could count several plot holes that arose from the last few twists, and this seriously ruined the experience that Layton is known for. I will give credit, however, for that emotional ending, and for some puzzles that did keep me engaged. It was just the weakest of the series, that's all, and that's still saying a lot, since this entire series is fantastic. Disappointing, on a medium scale. Expand
  3. Oct 24, 2014
    Play If: You enjoyed previous Professor Layton games. If you were the kind of kid who insisted on grabbing a puzzle book for a long car ride.

Don't Play If: You are the kind of person who gets easily frustrated with puzzles and quickly jump online to find the answer. Or, have an issue with unbelievable and problematic stories.

1. Jan 20, 2011
    As a standalone adventure, The Lost Future can't help but disappoint once its bite-sized, unimaginative nature begins to show through. [Issue#102, p.120]
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    If you haven't picked up Unwound Future yet, do it. If you haven't played any of these games yet, what are you waiting for?
  3. Jan 18, 2011
    A more-than-worthy sequel in this inherently awesome franchise. Once you start playing, you won't put it down. That's a guarantee.