• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Feb 22, 2011
  • Also On: 3DS
8.5

1. Feb 26, 2014
    Radiant Historia created a fresh battle system that I really enjoyed and would love to see another game pick up and improve on what was there. The beauty of this game comes in the simplicity of the battle system and menu scrolling.

Considering you spend a lot of time going into historia you need a clean and easy to use system to travel throughout the story and it delivers. They could have added lots of fancy mechanics to it but I am glad they didn't.

The battle system while simple to use and understand still manages to become a challenge as you try to shuffle the turn order to maximise your attack and minimise the damage you take.

Presentation is where this game is let down. The graphics are nothing special and the environments are pretty boring with no real chance for exploration. While the character designs are good I don't feel their characters developed as much as they could of done, only Stocke I felt got this. This music is nothing memorable as well, which is a shame.

Overall Radiant Historia is substance over style but well worth a playthrough. My playthrough took 45+ hours.
  2. May 27, 2011
    While far deeper and better done than what I've come to expect of Atlus, this game reminds me more of Xenogears or Chrono Cross than CTrigger or FFTactics.. It lacks a true polished feel from moving around, and the combat system, while gimmicky (admittedly par for the course nowadays) is at least playable and as the game progresses, increasingly enjoyable. The story is extremely slowWhile far deeper and better done than what I've come to expect of Atlus, this game reminds me more of Xenogears or Chrono Cross than CTrigger or FFTactics.. It lacks a true polished feel from moving around, and the combat system, while gimmicky (admittedly par for the course nowadays) is at least playable and as the game progresses, increasingly enjoyable. The story is extremely slow to get started, and I found my palm on my face more than a few times wondering why I should bother to try to save this game world once it did. The characters, while strange-looking, generally lack the two dimensional quality I've been forced to endure all too often as of late in the genre, even though it takes a very long time for some of them to be fleshed out. Learning when to back off, move forward or backward in time or change story lines can be frustrating, and while sometimes you have a few leads, there were several times where I simply got lost. The ability to skip through long-winded exposition is definitely a saving grace, given the inherently repetitive nature of some parts. It's not the best ever made, but it's definitely above mediocre, and should be on the purchase list of fans of the genre. Just be patient when you're getting started. Expand

#6 Most Discussed DS Game of 2011
#1 Most Shared DS Game of 2011

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 11, 2011
    Radiant Historia's take on time traveling is a bit of a letdown, but it's nevertheless a strong and addicting JRPG. [Oct 2011]
  2. Aug 18, 2011
    Radiant History is a great game, mainly due to the serious plot and the mature characters.
  3. Jun 27, 2011
    Nintendo DS, without a doubt the queen of the RPG genre in recent years, gains another incredibly good addition to its library in Radiant Historia.