Retro Atari Classics DS

3.7

1. A.W.
    Dec 21, 2006
    Right, I'm trying to think of a polite way to describe this, but I'm having a hard time. I love retro games, and I adore MAME, but this compilation... No. I hate it. The remixes are dire, every time you lose a ball in arkanoid you're told "You Suck!" - actually no, if anyone sucks that'll be the developers, testers and graphicians ;) However, I could live with the Right, I'm trying to think of a polite way to describe this, but I'm having a hard time. I love retro games, and I adore MAME, but this compilation... No. I hate it. The remixes are dire, every time you lose a ball in arkanoid you're told "You Suck!" - actually no, if anyone sucks that'll be the developers, testers and graphicians ;) However, I could live with the nastiness of the remixes, if it weren't for the damage they've done on the originals as well... Breakout is a prime example - the play area is split across both screens, sounds good in theory, right? Wrong! Why? Well, the playfield alignment assumes there's no gap between the two screens... I've got news guys - there is a gap! This means that the ball suddenly seems to jump when it's halfway up or down the screen. Did anyone even playtest this on a real DS?!? Expand
  2. DukjinI.
    Dec 1, 2007
    0 Absolute 0, well deserved. I can't believe critics rated this anywhere close to 50. If you look at the review list, you'll notice all the REPUTABLE reviewers put it in the red, low scores. Given that there are ports of these games out there, I figured, "how bad can it be?". None of these games appear to be emulations of the originals in any way. They are each shoddily written 0 Absolute 0, well deserved. I can't believe critics rated this anywhere close to 50. If you look at the review list, you'll notice all the REPUTABLE reviewers put it in the red, low scores. Given that there are ports of these games out there, I figured, "how bad can it be?". None of these games appear to be emulations of the originals in any way. They are each shoddily written games that sort of look like the original visually... until you play them. Then you find that the controls are bad, the movement doesn't match up... it's all incredibly annoying, because these are LICENSED! Why can't they just put the original code in? (and the remixes are even worse) I bought this for $10, and I want my money back. I only bought it because I figured if even ONE of the games was good, I'd enjoy it... DEFENDER, TEMPEST... CENTIPEDE... but they ALL look like the original, and play HORRIBLE (This is SHOVELWARE. Do not buy at any price. I would not take it for free. Categorically inferior to any PC emulator version. Horrible controls for several of the games (tempest is unplayable) ) Publisher should be ashamed. Expand
  3. AB
    Apr 5, 2005
    The idea of having portable classic Atari games is great. The idea of having only ten ridiculously translated, nearly unplayable portable Atari games with corny graphics is not.

#43 Most Discussed DS Game of 2005

Ten "okay, kind of accurate" conversions of arcade games add up to a barely average package on the Nintendo DS.
  2. Your veritable cast iron "mixed bag" of timeless gems and pointless curios in which some work well on the DS, some don't and as long as you can deny all knowledge of seeing the Remix mode retro gamers won't be totally offended.
  3. Cheat Code Central
    What game would include a version of Pong as part of its compilation? That has to tell you something. I can live with Breakout - but Pong? That's digging to the bottom of the barrel.