Rune Factory 3: A Fantasy Harvest Moon DS

• Publisher: Natsume
  • Release Date: Nov 9, 2010
8.6

1. Jan 9, 2012
    It's an underrated addictive game. Even compared to the other Rune Factories, this one is perfect in all it does. Expedited travelling, a quest system that adds story depth and more opportunities for exciting new items. Easier forging with instant access to storage, better dungeon design and bosses. A story that you actually kinda care about, more convenient farming. Deeper, moreIt's an underrated addictive game. Even compared to the other Rune Factories, this one is perfect in all it does. Expedited travelling, a quest system that adds story depth and more opportunities for exciting new items. Easier forging with instant access to storage, better dungeon design and bosses. A story that you actually kinda care about, more convenient farming. Deeper, more interesting characters, more strategy to battles, the list of improvements to this gem go on and on. Probably one of the best DS games I've had the joy to play and I've played a lot of good DS games. Expand
  2. Feb 23, 2014
    Sensational game. I don't know why I skipped it when it first came out, but I'm so glad I discovered it. It's like playing Harvest Moon, Pokemon, and Zelda at once. I don't think I have seen an RPG this involved in a long time: you can do everything from item crafting to cooking, have countless weapons and spells, have multiple relationships, take any character into your dungeon party--andSensational game. I don't know why I skipped it when it first came out, but I'm so glad I discovered it. It's like playing Harvest Moon, Pokemon, and Zelda at once. I don't think I have seen an RPG this involved in a long time: you can do everything from item crafting to cooking, have countless weapons and spells, have multiple relationships, take any character into your dungeon party--and it has a good story with multiple endings. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a great JPRG or Action RPG. Expand
  3. May 25, 2014
    Buy it .... Good game !!!! The graphic and system is the best among the ds series , you wont regret for it , follow the game main story line but also tackle the girls and fighting with dragons , best!
  4. Nov 20, 2011
    The best Run Factory to date but that does not mean that close to be THE GAME, there are things that need improvement for become a best game. With high replay value and bright is the right game for those for those who want an alternative of mainstream.
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    I find this game even better than the ones on the Wii. It's much more responsible than the older games and I also find the characters much more interesting. I was never attracted to Harvest Moon styled games nor Rune Factory 1 or 2, but this one is so good I actually had fun playing it.
  6. Jun 7, 2011
    this is the first rune factory game i have finished the rest are hard.its a really fun game.im sure its worth a 10/10.the game may be a little short but its worth the time.
  7. Apr 18, 2015
    The rune factory series definitely does not receive the attention it deserves. While my experience is with only Rune Factory 3 and Rune Factory 4, both are fantastic. These games are really an all in one package!

To start off, despite Harvest Moon being in the title, you really do not have to farm much, if at all. There is an RPG element to these games, so you can go fight monsters and craft instead.

Another delightful element is that you are not restricted on areas that you can access for the most part. While yes, you may die because you are going to an area that is above your level, you sure can try! This idea of having more freedom rather than following a set path makes the gaming experience more enjoyable in my opinion.

A particularly enjoyable element of the game is that you can capture monsters. I for one have a pet pineapple in my barn named Papple. You can also mount some animals, like a wolf or a Buffamoo (part buffalo, part moo of course). And this is all in addition to the base game play.

For the RPG element, you have several types of weapons to choose from, you can also use magic (alongside your weapon of choice). The magic attacks vary in terms of what they do, so you can find what suits you best! There are not too many tactics for battling, but if you are finding things too easy, it is very easy to find a monster above your level to battle.

As far as leveling goes, everything has a level, your combat ability, crafting skills, friendship, there is even a level for sleeping and eating. The nice thing is that stats go up based on their frequency. There is a "Death Resist" stat. i.e. the more you die, the harder it is to die. In a way, the game adjusts to your play level.

If you are planning on playing both Rune Factory 3 and Rune Factory 4, I would say start with Rune Factory 3. Rune Factory 3 has some nice elements to it that Rune Factory 4 loses out on, in particular, the ability to transform into a monster yourself! The problem with going in the opposite order is that Rune Factory 4 improves a lot of features that you didn't realize you wanted improved until they were improved. These updates make it difficult to go back to Rune Factory 3 after playing Rune Factory 4.
  8. Feb 13, 2012
    Totally awesome game, ok story really fun game play and the marriage candidates are all good looking, oh and it has a little bit of voice acting in it, i gave it a 10
  9. Dec 10, 2010
    I bought this game at GameStop thirty dollars almost two weeks ago. Since then, I have been up til 3 in the morning playing through this game. Quick Review? This game is ADDICTING. [Gameplay] The game starts off like any other RF game. You start off as a hero who loses their memory and you make money by farming, gathering, forging, cooking completing tasks, ect. You are a boy who has aI bought this game at GameStop thirty dollars almost two weeks ago. Since then, I have been up til 3 in the morning playing through this game. Quick Review? This game is ADDICTING. [Gameplay] The game starts off like any other RF game. You start off as a hero who loses their memory and you make money by farming, gathering, forging, cooking completing tasks, ect. You are a boy who has a secret. He is half human and half monster (a golden wooly). Throughout the game you are trying to unite an old Univor tribe with the town of Sharance (if spelling errors, I am sorry). The games customization features hit the mark, giving you customization over clothes, names and even little quirks in relationships. You will be playing for hours and talking to people over and over again just so you can see their reactions or even what would happen next. [Graphics] Despite hardware limitations, the games bright and vibrant overworld and character sprites really give the game it's initial appeal. With a beautiful and entertaining cast, the sprites really sell it. [Sound] Pretty adequate. Repetitive, but whatever. [Overall] A fun time. You will be up late at night farming your crops or trying to get your girl. It's best not to miss this title, for such a reasonable price, and you will definitely get your money out of it. Expand
  10. Apr 25, 2012
    this game is great! the gameplay is really good, the graphics are nice too, i also like the music, although you'll think the main character is like a girl until you hear his voice acting, but still a great game :)
  11. Oct 5, 2011
    As an avid fan of the older Harvest Moon games which Rune Factory is based on, I can say this is easily the best I've played of the series. The developers simply did everything right with Rune Factory 3.
    Here is a quick rundown for those unfamiliar with these farming simulators. You, the player, are given a farm with the job of sprucing it up, growing crops, and raising animals along with other miscellaneous methods of earning a living. Another aspect is relationship building, whether it's gaining friends or wooing a love interest and potential spouse. Rune Factory carries the core game play of Harvest Moon, but with the addition of combat and a fantasy twist.
    An issue with most entries in both Harvest Moon and Rune Factory is that they'll have a game play mechanic or gimmick that ultimately ruins the game. Whereas Rune Factory 3 has all of the best parts of those before it, but polished to a new level of excellence. Earning a profit through farming or any other method is simple work. You can stick to growing crops, slaying monsters, fishing, or whatever you prefer without being penalized for alienating the other aspects of the game. However, defeating bosses is required in order to advance the main plot. Fortunately, this can be done at any pace. You won't miss out on anything by taking your time.
    There is some fantastic art direction here. While the art style may be off-putting for some, it is very detailed and easy on the eyes. The 2D backgrounds are incredibly detailed, most being gorgeous when given a good look. Even the characters have fairly complex designs, but this doesn't transfer well to the tiny 3D models. Still, the visuals as a whole are great to say the least.
    Voice acting is somewhat sparse, but still present. The main character has plenty of spoken dialogue as well as grunts and battlecries. There are even fully voiced lines when meeting characters for the first time. Other than that, characters will call out appropriate greetings as you run by along with words of gratitude and other pleasantries. They are well-voiced as well with none being too annoying. Another thing to note is the variety of colorful personalities. There's not a noticeable amount of development going on, but there is tons of dialogue to the point that most have something new to say almost every in-game day. As far as plot is concerned, there is little more than motivation to get from point A to point B. Not that it's devoid of emotional or even epic moments. It's probably just that the interesting characters outshine the overdone premise.
    In the end, Rune Factory 3 offers varying types of game play, tons of different skills to learn, amusing character interactions, fun mini-games, catchy tunes, and so much more. Aside from a few minor problems that hardly detract from the game, the main reason I don't give this game a higher score is that it's not for everyone. Crop growing, item organizing, relationship building, and even the Action/RPG elements will not hold the interest of some. Regardless, I recommend this to casual and hardcore gamers alike as it's an easy game to get into and there is plenty of depth for the more serious players. This is also a must-have if you're a fan of Harvest Moon or Rune Factory.
  12. Jul 7, 2012
    This game, might be the best one of the series of Rune Factory for Nintendo DS, comparing it to the other games, it is outstanding, but, if you are new in this games, you would say "I do not like it", ¿Why? Because the improvement from Rune Factory 1 and 2 is the thing that make this game outstanding, but, into a new gamer like me, I would say some things that look´s horrible,This game, might be the best one of the series of Rune Factory for Nintendo DS, comparing it to the other games, it is outstanding, but, if you are new in this games, you would say "I do not like it", ¿Why? Because the improvement from Rune Factory 1 and 2 is the thing that make this game outstanding, but, into a new gamer like me, I would say some things that look´s horrible, this game has recycled soundtrack from the other games, and if you look good into the enemies, they are the same, a very good improvement might be the number of the women that you can marry, or the storyline of the quests that will give you hours of entertainment.
    It would be a devastating I compare it to Rune factory Tides of Destiny, but there is no case to talk about it.
    I remember the day i bought it, waiting for something that would reach my emotions and heart. The money worth it, if you want something simple, entertaining and cute RPG games

#12 Most Discussed DS Game of 2010
#13 Most Shared DS Game of 2010

1. Official Nintendo Magazine UK
    Dec 18, 2011
    It's all far too familiar. [Dec 2011, p.98]
  2. Nov 14, 2011
    Rune Factory 3 definitely shares many similarities with its Harvest Moon heritage, but successfully branches out into a highly engaging action RPG that stands in good stead when compared to other role-playing efforts on Nintendo DS thanks to its enjoyable battle mechanic, variety of objectives and the above average storyline.
  3. Oct 5, 2011
    If you've played the previous entries, you'll probably already know you'd enjoy Rune Factory 3; it's a prime example of "if it's not broken, don't fix it" at work. The new features are bullet points rather than game changers, but it's the biggest entry in the series so far and a must for fans of farming and fighting.