Scribblenauts DS

7.6

1. JamesC
    Nov 29, 2009
    This is a brilliantly original concept, but a concept doesn't make a game. Several words are given the same sprite, the controls are annoyingly fundamental and the physics are just abhorrent (it *is* Warner Bros, so it isn't a surprise). The only forgiving feature is the massive range of (barely) interactive scenes you can create. Warner Bros blew it big time.
  2. Feb 10, 2011
    A great idea that ended up being more frustrating than fun. your character often will knock over elaborate set ups because you cant control him yourself. and half of the games puzzles are solved by simply creating death or a helicopter with a magnet on it. The best part of the game is on the main menu staging fights between various mythical creatures ridding skateboards...
  3. KyleK.
    Sep 16, 2009
    The concept behind this is indeed pure genius, but let down quite a bit by the very clunky controls and the inability to pause while adjusting objects. Still, I can see myself playing around with the start menu alone for months, and that's quite a feat.
  4. KenW
    Oct 27, 2009
    This is not innovation. This is just a silly gimmick which gets dull extremely quickly. Yes, you can create Satan and God, dress them up and make them fight. You can also create bricks and watch them do nothing. They're pretty much the same thing.
  5. RobertB
    Oct 7, 2009
    I really wanted to like Scribblenauts. Although I found the art direction charming, the core mechanic fascinating, and the premise engaging, ultimately the games challenges left me... wanting something with a bit more substance. Scribblenauts is half a game, or rather a game without a real end goal . Certainly the puzzles force the mind to wrap around problems in interesting ways, but the I really wanted to like Scribblenauts. Although I found the art direction charming, the core mechanic fascinating, and the premise engaging, ultimately the games challenges left me... wanting something with a bit more substance. Scribblenauts is half a game, or rather a game without a real end goal . Certainly the puzzles force the mind to wrap around problems in interesting ways, but the lack of guidance, the clumsy camera controls, and the funky physics made playing this game difficult. Add in the frustration of the user interface, the difficulty in simply playing the game combines with the games unusual challenges to create more of a sense of frustration rather than wonder. Expand
  6. Lagann
    Sep 24, 2009
    The game offers an incredible database that's impressive at first, but very quickly becomes obvious that most of the items are completely useless. It is rare that they work in any way that you would expect. At best it's worth a rental to play around with the summoning, it gets very old very quick though, and quickly forgotten about.
  7. rbee
    Sep 28, 2009
    For gamers buying it for themselves: excellent. For parents: Good but not great. The puzzles can be exceptionally easy or exceptionally challenging, and hinge on, yes, creativity, but also the kind of lateral thinking that does not come easily to all, and even when it does, the game function does not always work the same way the player wants it to. My son is excellent with maths and For gamers buying it for themselves: excellent. For parents: Good but not great. The puzzles can be exceptionally easy or exceptionally challenging, and hinge on, yes, creativity, but also the kind of lateral thinking that does not come easily to all, and even when it does, the game function does not always work the same way the player wants it to. My son is excellent with maths and science, but this game could not compete with his Pokemon obsession, particularly after he stumbled and could not "get the starite" within ten minutes. I played through and enjoyed it myself, but I also enjoy Picross and brain training, neither of which are "games" my son cares for. Educationally the game is also very limited, as it can be beat through same-object repetition. If you're a parent who puts a daily minute/hour limit on game time, the frustration your child feels about Scribblenauts will more often drive him or her to quick-finish levels than to really enjoy the game. My experience only. Also: I love the game, but have already gone back to older titles with stories and character development. We might find more life in Scribblenauts if we created and exchanged levels on WiFi, but cannot. Expand
  8. Nov 20, 2010
    It is a brilliantly innovative game. This really had the potential to be an excellent game. However, it fell flat completely. One of the major problems was the controls. I don't know why it even used the touch screen to begin, but Maxwell is hell to control. The touch screen was bad enough but they are really floaty and irresponsible. However, you'll spend hours using your imaginations onIt is a brilliantly innovative game. This really had the potential to be an excellent game. However, it fell flat completely. One of the major problems was the controls. I don't know why it even used the touch screen to begin, but Maxwell is hell to control. The touch screen was bad enough but they are really floaty and irresponsible. However, you'll spend hours using your imaginations on the title screen, doing whatever, pitting God against Satan, or a tiger against a lion, or whatever your imagination takes you to. The vocabulary on offer is amazing too. Expand
  9. Jan 8, 2011
    The first problem with this game is that the title is a lie. Saying write anything solve everything is a complete lie. Many times when you say you want a spanner you will end up with a drill, because any type of tool you type in has the same result. Many of the items you can't use anyway, and movement is extremely annoying. I got to world 3 before puttingthis down, avoid.
  10. Jan 22, 2012
    The game features an excellent and very original idea, that there is over 20 000 items you can spawn into the level just by typing them. However, poor controls, uninteresting levels and the fact that most objects don't function the way they should, or atleast could, prevents this game from reaching a higher score.
  11. Feb 14, 2013
    This game is based on a brilliant idea. Some of the stages are a little frustrating, but overall it's awesome and really fun. This really has a future.
  12. Mar 15, 2013
    This is the perfect example of a premise that gets anyone wide-eyed in astonishment. I mean, you write up any object and it's in the game. How the hell did they manage that?

The game itself is beautifully colored, with just the right amount of silliness, and a LOT of extremely cool easter eggs (if you write up "time machine", for example, you get an actual time machine that gets you out of the current puzzle's ambient and into one of many different pasts or futures).

Where things start to fall apart is the actual gameplay. As puzzles get garder, it gets increasingly annoying to try to control the main character. A lot of the times, he just refuses to obey the obvious commands, which results in a whole lot of wasted time. As a result, I never really found it in me to play this game all the way through.

Final verdict: one of the most fun premises ever to grace a video game, significantly doused by half-assed controls.
  13. Aug 4, 2013
    A really fun game that lets you create anything you can scribble pretty much.

They fixed the controls in the newer version as they are what slows this one down a lot.

Otherwise it has a lot of clever puzzles and is worth checking out.

7 out of 10.
  14. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (0/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (0/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (1/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (0)

15. Jun 20, 2014
    I heard a lot of recommendations for this game, so I decided to give it a try and overall, I have been having a pretty good time with this game just solving puzzles and things like that.

Pros: -Creative Puzzles -Extensive amount of Words -Cool and fun Easter eggs (One of the levels parodied Back to the Future which I thought was very funny!) -Definitely a game I kept coming back to,

Pros:
    -Creative Puzzles
    -Extensive amount of Words
    -Definitely a game I kept coming back to, I remember being very addicted to this game when I first bought it.

Cons:
    -Puzzles can get really repetitive.
    -Level Editor could be better.
    -Replay value may be there, but what it has to offer is not very fun, but just more repetitive puzzles.

Overall, Scribblenauts is very innovative, but it's not one of the best. I'd still think it's worth picking up if you can find it for cheap.

#4 Most Discussed DS Game of 2009
#26 Most Shared DS Game of 2009

1. Scribblenauts is hugely ambitious, and the odd bit of buckling under its inventory has to be forgiven.
    Even with the flaws in Scribblenauts' controls and the level editor -- which only allows you to make levels for use on your own card, and not share them with others -- it holds a special place in my heart for being the most fun I've ever had improving my vocabulary. It is, dare I say, the best piece of edutainment since Math Blaster.
    You get a wholesome puzzle game in Scribblenauts, with challenges that may well last you longer than you think, but it's not perfect.