• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Mar 23, 2010
8.9

1. Jan 28, 2012
    Okay first of all, I have always like the IDEA of the SMT series more than the actual execution of the games. The very nature of the games causes them to be a bit difficult and grind heavy, so I have never actually completed a SMT game...until now.

With Strange Journey the creators have not only created the best SMT game I have ever played (including all the spinoffs), but they have also created the best first person dungeon crawler I have ever played. This game has an EXCELLENT auto map system that works perfectly with the DS dual screens, making navigation a breeze. Also the compendium and fusion elements travel with you now, so you can view and fuse demons wherever you are, with no need to backtrack to some weird Igor character.

The story and setting are both appropriately weird, disturbing, and exciting at the same time, and the new mission-based angle really gives you excellent reasons to get out there and explore.

And about that grinding...
    Yes, it is there. I can't imagine how they could make a SMT game with demon collection without grinding. However, they have done their best at making grinding more enjoyable and much less frustrating. Healing and saving points are much more available and affordable, so that grinding out levels is equally beneficial to your wallet. And the inclusion of an auto-battle option at the press of a button is a super time-saver. And if you're a fan of instant gratification, each demon has a password, so a quick internet search will give you the ability to summon just the right demon when you want it (assuming your character can afford it).

I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed this game thanks to all the little touches the developers have put in place for this DS release. If you are a fan of SMT, collection-type RPGs, or dungeon crawlers in general, you absolutely cannot go wrong with this game. I picked it up for twelve bucks so you have no excuse. And you can ignore that lowest score in the critic review section. He admittedly didn't even finish the game. In my opinion that reviewer should be pulled from the metacritic ratings. So go, get it now. Go on. lol
  2. Jul 12, 2013
    Pros:
    - Grueling Difficulty, yet Accessible
    - Terrific Gameplay Elements
    - Plenty of Replay Value

Cons:
    - Main Story Themes are done well, but are Cliche to use
    - Characters are under-developed, but still Entertaining
  3. Feb 16, 2015
    This game is really just an amazing ride. It's beautifully executed and wonderfully challenging. The demon negotiation system is at an all-time high for the series, being both as complex and simple as it has to be. Demon alignments play a large role in the gameplay, but don't limit you regardless of what path you take.

The characters and story are splendid. They'll make you seriously

The characters and story are splendid. They'll make you seriously consider the situation and can change the way you view the world. Atlus' portrait of humanity's downfall, the stress of keeping calm during the mission, and how your crew mates slip away from themselves are a testament to what a video game can achieve. I think this game will serve as an amazing game-changer for people for years to come. It does not hold back in any respect, so players have to be prepared to bite back when picking up this gem.
  4. LorneB
    Mar 25, 2010
    The triumphant return of SMT I/II/Nocturne's trademark brand of nut-stomping, soul-crushing fun? I'd say so. The fact that it's a DS game, as opposed to an overpriced console game, simply means I get more gameplay for my dollar. Being able to get sucked in anywhere is a definite boon.
  5. Mar 25, 2014
    One of the most underrated games in the history of the universe.

Strange Journey exudes style in every facet. From the classic dungeon crawling gameplay to the memorable musical score by Shōji Meguro, Strange Journey represents the pinnacle of the SMT series.

Real SMT fans play Strange Journey. Moe fans play Persona.
  6. DanielG
    Mar 24, 2010
    When Devil Survivor came out for DS I was excited. One of my favorite games of all time has got to be SMT 3:Nocturne. Most of the series spin offs have all been stellar too. Gotta love the Persona series especially. But Devil Survivor while it wasn't bad, seemed somewhat lazily slapped together and subpar. What I thought Devil Survivor was going to be when I first saw images emerge When Devil Survivor came out for DS I was excited. One of my favorite games of all time has got to be SMT 3:Nocturne. Most of the series spin offs have all been stellar too. Gotta love the Persona series especially. But Devil Survivor while it wasn't bad, seemed somewhat lazily slapped together and subpar. What I thought Devil Survivor was going to be when I first saw images emerge on the net, Strange Journey fulfills. This is the closest thing to SMT 3 that we have in the States (unless you emulate a fanmade rom with a translation patch which is illegal). Forget about Pokemon, this is the series that started the true "catch 'em all" franchise back on the NES and it is far cooler and darker than it's kiddie competitor. I wouldn't recommend this for kids though, as it does have some language and dark themes/imagery. Not for the squeamish or those that are easily offended religion wise. But if you basically want an adult pokemon on steroids, get this game, NOW! The graphics are great, the story and writing is wonderful and the soundtrack is just plain phenomenal. Seriously, the music is epic for a DS game. I will say that I almost marked this game down to a 9 due to the fact that it doesn't have any online or wifi battles with your friends, period. But it does have an interesting demon transfer system via pass codes like some older games used to have. The nostalgia factor regained the lost point for me. Next time though I hope they implement an online battle system. Expand
  7. Dec 28, 2011
    As the title states strange journey is strange. Quite unexpectedly we are lead back to the old days of the Megami Tensei franchise and no it isn't any less brutal. There is no press turn system and exploiting weakness is less important. The game's main theme is exploration which is why almost every area can be an absolute choir to travel through and can feel borderline impossible withoutAs the title states strange journey is strange. Quite unexpectedly we are lead back to the old days of the Megami Tensei franchise and no it isn't any less brutal. There is no press turn system and exploiting weakness is less important. The game's main theme is exploration which is why almost every area can be an absolute choir to travel through and can feel borderline impossible without some sort of online map. Resource gathering is also tedious. Not to mention demons can only have 6 moves instead of 8. The demon password system works well and while you can abuse it, it is very costly and while you're not hard pressed the game doesn't just hand it out ether. The story is unsurprisingly awesome, and while the demons may seem overtly preachy many of them are connected in some way to the planet that humanity has spend most of it's time desecrating. However the story as good as it is, the DS screen is small and reading a big text dump on the really small screen can get irritating. And because the game's main theme is exploration there is no way you can rush through this game. It's a solid title but the changes added since Nocturne were added for a very good reason and this game will shoehorn that point into you if it does nothing else. Expand
  8. Feb 26, 2015
    If you are a big Shin Megami Tensei fan...this game is for you! The atmosphere oozes out from the DS(or 3DS) with the intense and emotional music to the strange and varied areas. While the game doesn't feature some of the SMT traits(weakness/turn system) it still has that same addictive experience of collecting demons and fusing them. And don't forget the daunting amount of upgradesIf you are a big Shin Megami Tensei fan...this game is for you! The atmosphere oozes out from the DS(or 3DS) with the intense and emotional music to the strange and varied areas. While the game doesn't feature some of the SMT traits(weakness/turn system) it still has that same addictive experience of collecting demons and fusing them. And don't forget the daunting amount of upgrades that'll make some of us perfectionists either laugh in joy or cry in horror.

The story blends in well with the atmosphere with similar themes of earlier SMT games(Law, Chaos, Neutral) that tie in with the players choices. If you are excited about Persona 5 and want to take a look at earlier SMT games, this could be a good entry point. Not as difficult as SMT Nocturne, IV..but still a bit more challenging than Persona 3(and definitely less challenging that Persona 4).

I look forward to want Atlus comes up with after Persona 5. I would LOVE if they made a game similar to SMT: Strange Journey.

Now, go and save humanity. Challenge your fate during this strange journey.

1. As a dungeon crawler, Strange Journey is abominable. As an SMT, it's unforgivable.
    If you're looking for a thoughtful, challenging RPG experience, this is a Strange Journey worth taking; those who take issue with the thematic elements, however, might want to go adventuring elsewhere. [March 2010, p.91]
  3. Uncovering all the Schwarzwelt's secrets will keep you glued to your DS for hours of intense RPG action. [Issue#203, p.96]