• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 16, 2010
7.7

1. Nov 21, 2010
    Classic Sonic gameplay mixed with some fresh ideas that actually work. In short, this is the game Sonic 4 should have been and arguably the best Sonic game since Sonic 2.
  2. Nov 26, 2010
    This is the best sonic game of the past Decade! Maybe Sonic 4 Episode 2 can learn from this. Both the Wii and DS Version are Fantastic and well Worth your Money!
  3. Nov 27, 2010
    I wasn't eager to play this game, since I was disappointed with Sonic Rush and its sequel, but I picked it up anyway, since I was amazed by the Wii version. So I played it for a bit, and all I can say is, "Sonic is back". The game play is so fast and fluid, yet I did not experience any lag while playing, unlike Sonic Rush. The music is also great, it brings back feelings of the old GenesisI wasn't eager to play this game, since I was disappointed with Sonic Rush and its sequel, but I picked it up anyway, since I was amazed by the Wii version. So I played it for a bit, and all I can say is, "Sonic is back". The game play is so fast and fluid, yet I did not experience any lag while playing, unlike Sonic Rush. The music is also great, it brings back feelings of the old Genesis games, while still staying fresh and new. Speaking of Fresh and new, the levels are much more varied this time. I won't spoil anything, but let's just say, it's awesome. The one thing that kills it though, are the boss battles. The boss battles for me are disappointingly generic and bland. Expand
  4. Dec 21, 2010
    It's a very good Sonic game. Better than Sonic Rush, but it appears five years later. It's only a little step forward.

HARDCORE FANS ADVISORY: IT'S NOT A CLASSIC SONIC.
  5. Dec 27, 2010
    Sonic Colors is an enjoyable game until that first gameover screen pops up. You get to go ludicrously fast until you realize that having fun is incompatible with the game's difficulty , mostly boosted by the never-ending memorization and cheap death scenarios. Ugh.
  6. Mar 6, 2011
    Its official...Sonic Team was abducted by aliens for the past 10 years... Because I do not, NAY REFUSE to believe that the same Sonic Team...is RESPONSIBLE for this utter MASTERPIECE...

The music is classic enchanting Sonic fare, and you will be humming the tunes for months if not years. The atrocious 4Kids voice actors have been replaced (except Robotnik) with a far superior cast, that truly befits the nature of the Sonic series. The graphics....BEST ON THE WII...nothing even comes remotely CLOSE... The environmental made me gaze in awestuck wonder, oftentimes I forget its all IN GAME!!!

No **** HUBWORLDS ANYMORE!!! Just straight up classic gameplay. Not to mention the new Wisps mechanic is awesome, and provides tons of replayability throughout.

DID I MENTION 2 PLAYER CO-OP?!?!? Yep its in there.

This is not only the best Sonic game of the DECADE (considering how **** the series games have been over the recent years) but my favorite Wii game of 2011!!! It may even be my favorite GAME of the YEAR!!!

You think I'm kidding don't you? NO. Stop reading if you've ever been a fan of Sonic... This is the game...the one, the one that brings a LEGEND back. BUY NOW! BUY NOW! BUY NOW! BUY NOW!!!
  7. Nov 25, 2011
    Best ds game I owned. The game isnt boost to win and has alot of diversified gameplay because of the wisps which are awesome by the way. This game is nothing short of a great game!
  8. May 18, 2012
    I got Sonic Colors as a gift, and the game is nothing short of a dissappiontment. Sadly, all of the other critics out there are totally wrong about this game. Its not the best Sonic game to come out in years, but it DOES manage to be a better game then Sonic 06. First of, lets talk about speed people. This game is, indeed, a fast Sonic game, as a sonic game should be. But unlike theI got Sonic Colors as a gift, and the game is nothing short of a dissappiontment. Sadly, all of the other critics out there are totally wrong about this game. Its not the best Sonic game to come out in years, but it DOES manage to be a better game then Sonic 06. First of, lets talk about speed people. This game is, indeed, a fast Sonic game, as a sonic game should be. But unlike the daytime stages of Sonic Unleashed, nothing feels spectacular or special about this speed. I just didn't get that feeling of adreniline. The only direction you'll be going in this game is right. You'll be holding down right the whole way through. The game just holds your hand frokm point A to point B. Regular stages are as simple as simple can be. As you progress through the game, you'll receive more wisps and powers to use whenever you find one. But going back to another level just to see what else it offers has little reward. You will get to find some sort of red star, but you need to find all of them through the whole game if you want to get a cheat for unlimited boost. By that time, you've probably already beat the game, and there is no purpose in going back. If you do get a wisp power to explore another area in the game, it will lead you on the same destinated path if you never found the wisp in mere seconds. This completely eliminates the joy of exploration in Sonic Colors. But however, what IS good about this game are the missions that appear throughout the game, 3 in each world. All of these are excelently designed. Instead of having a simple goal as just point A-to-B traveling, It will give you an objective, like get a certain amount of rings, clear the stage in a certain amount of time while collecting boxes the give you more time, defeating enemies, etc. Now I know what you're thinking: "Wait, if you don't like the levels to begin with, then why do you like them if they just give you an objective?" Remeber, adrenaline rush is absent in the regular levels. But these actually have challenge. You need to do the mission orderly well to pass. Its not terribly difficult, and you can pass it with effort. Its a terrific difficulty curve that this game needs. The missions are the only spots in the game that feature any real challenge, all the rest are just boost boost boost and win win win. The boss battles are great, but are still pretty easy. I felt like I had to challenge myself just to make it fun, which IU shouldn't have to do. The boss fights in which you are chasing after a ship are the best boss fights ever in a sonic game that I never thought I would be playing. The length of the game is fairly short. The level design is actually pretty good and fun, but you zoom by it so fast, its hard to recognize it. Sweet Mountain is tremendoulsy boring and irritating. The fireball wisp is incredinly hard to control, and the music in the stage is just plain horrible, and the boss fight is completely cliche'. But the missions with Blaze and Silver are fun. After you beat the game for the first time, theres no reason to pick it up again, unless you decide to try and get all S rank, but guess what? There's no expert mode this time around. Usually, whenever you get all S rank, there is an expert mode to pplay, but you don't get it this time. The two final boss fights aren't anything special. Sure, they might have SOME fun, like Sonic in Super Sonic form charging at Mother Wisp while avoiding red balls of fire. But The Terminal boss fight is nothing special. It goes by way to fast for a final battle and it is simple. Too simple. The special stages aren't anything special either. They are simple as well. Collect the orbs...sigh... Other Sonic games have you runnig through loops and have you having so much fun doing the platforming in the middle of the game while getting to the end. But in Sonic Colors, getting to the end is the entire point!!!! It goes by way too fast, and it is just a hold-down-right-and-hold-down-the-boost-button fest that lacks anything truly rewarding. You will have some fun times running around SOMETIMES, like when a dinasaur head is after you, but you can't survive without the boost. I can describe Sonic Colors 3 words: Right, Boost, Repeat. The missions and bosses are fun, and the music is impressive (ecept for Sweet Montain), and Sonic is fast for once, but in this case, that isn't very good. This game took me about 8 hours to beat. If you take your time and not boost a lot, you'll have more fun, but this will usually lead to sections when SEGA thought you were going to boost, and you just run into enemies going down that ramp. It's not comp[letely awful, in fact, the speed somtimes works, but this is only in the begginning. When you've gotten used to it, extra wisps will only worsen the experience. If you just want a game that will kill 6-8 hours, then you should give this a try. It's not pain ful, it's just too simple. Everyone else should pick up a Genesis game. Expand
  9. Jun 20, 2012
    Why is blue mario running so fast? I may have been playing games for all of my life but this doesn't make sense. I give Nintendo ten points for trying but please slow it down
  10. Mar 12, 2013
    The problem with Sonic Rush and Sonic games is that it's too fast for its own good. The reason that Mario was better than Sonic was there was finesse with Mario over Sonic's hyperspeed.
  11. Oct 5, 2013
    The best out of the Sonic Rush styled handheld Sonic titles, Better than rush, and 10 times better than both Rush Adventure and Generations 3DS, the sonic colors soundtrack was remixed in this version for some reason, but it's enjoyable, and most importantly, the game is a blast to play, no stupid gimmicks like in Rush Adventure. The wisps in this version play like there consoleThe best out of the Sonic Rush styled handheld Sonic titles, Better than rush, and 10 times better than both Rush Adventure and Generations 3DS, the sonic colors soundtrack was remixed in this version for some reason, but it's enjoyable, and most importantly, the game is a blast to play, no stupid gimmicks like in Rush Adventure. The wisps in this version play like there console counterparts, with the exception with two wisps that are exclusive to this version

Overall this is fantastic, I recommend it.
  12. May 14, 2013
    A good game. It contains the best boss battles I've ever played, with a very good soundtrack.
  13. Aug 4, 2013
    It lacks the real "Sonic Feel" from his days of glory, but is nevertheless a solid platformer.

If you like Sonic games, this one is fun and atleast lets you play with our favorite blue hedgehog. But the flaws are simply the feel of the game, and its more of a "speed runner" rather than platformer, which was the biggest strength of the original Sonic games for the SEGA Genesis. 6

6 out of 10 however.
  14. Aug 30, 2013
    Sonic colors Wii was great, the DS version however is horrible. basicly it's the exact same as sonic rush which is a better game than this. all you do is play sonic rush style gameplay. also this game is really short, I beat it in a day, it's only about 5 hours long. now the cutscenes are terrible to, instead of the fully animated cutscenes from the wii version, this version has you readSonic colors Wii was great, the DS version however is horrible. basicly it's the exact same as sonic rush which is a better game than this. all you do is play sonic rush style gameplay. also this game is really short, I beat it in a day, it's only about 5 hours long. now the cutscenes are terrible to, instead of the fully animated cutscenes from the wii version, this version has you read what the characters are saying like comics. instad of being 2D and 3D like the wii version, the DS version is 2D the whole way though, this game proves that it could be in 3D because the special stages are in 3D, the special stages are terrible though, there like a toned down version of sonic 2's speical stages, you move sonic with the stylist and get all of the orbs of one color to win. and the bosses are really easy, you could beat them in like 5 seconds. the music is by far the only good part about the game, it's the same as the wii version's music, but they really ruined some of the best tracks from the wii version like aquriam park. there's also this overworld that's simular to the wii version, you just select which planet you want to go to and then done. I will give this game some credit as the final boss is with super sonic and the wii version did not have a super sonic final boss, and the final boss is in 3D on the DS version, but it's probably the worst super sonic boss fight in the series, but it's good that they actually tried. this game is only bad because of the DS's hardware limitations, but If you have a wii, get the wii version, if you only have a DS, get sonic rush or sonic rush adventure. Expand
  15. Nov 8, 2013
    I hate this game so much, it should die in a fire. I mean..yeah, you can rip-off your WII counterpart, but the graphics are crap, the controls are like a Rush Adventure thing and the story alike is stupid. In my defense, I haven't played this stupid game. The only chance was on Generations for the 3DS and that sucked even more. I just hate how they made the boss look like crap mixedI hate this game so much, it should die in a fire. I mean..yeah, you can rip-off your WII counterpart, but the graphics are crap, the controls are like a Rush Adventure thing and the story alike is stupid. In my defense, I haven't played this stupid game. The only chance was on Generations for the 3DS and that sucked even more. I just hate how they made the boss look like crap mixed together with Eggman's moustache. It's basically a bad game and Sega did a horrible job on this version. Expand
  16. Feb 24, 2014
    FORGET E CRITICS AND LISTEN CAREFULLY. The dark age of Sonic The Hedgehog has been very long sadly. With Shadow The Hedgehog, 06, Labyrinth, Chronicles which at best was half decent, but then they released unleashed which kind of brought the series, but critics nitpicked at the "Boring" wolf sections. That game KIND OF saved the series, but in 2010, I saw the trailer, and since I don'tFORGET E CRITICS AND LISTEN CAREFULLY. The dark age of Sonic The Hedgehog has been very long sadly. With Shadow The Hedgehog, 06, Labyrinth, Chronicles which at best was half decent, but then they released unleashed which kind of brought the series, but critics nitpicked at the "Boring" wolf sections. That game KIND OF saved the series, but in 2010, I saw the trailer, and since I don't have a Wii, which got very positive ratings, I got the DS version, and I loved every Sonic-Second of it. EVERYTHING from the beautiful intro, the gameplay, story, speed, humor, audio, it's AMAZING! This game is so good that it brought the Sonic series back! And Sonic hasn't had a bad game since! Except for the 3ds version of lost world, which at WORST, was pretty, mixed. I just didn't like frozen factory, and Sonic 4 I actually liked. Don't listen to the bad reviews on here and buy the game. And if there's ever a day when your feeling bored, depressed, or just overall down in the dumps, get your Wii or DS, plug in this game, and reach for the stars. :) Expand
  17. Apr 13, 2014
    This game can be summed up in a nutshell. Sonic Rush 3. It's not worthy of the title, but that's the best name for it.
    The game just feels wrong. If I go from Sonic Rush, arguably one of the best Dimps games ever made, to Colors DS, and notice a decrease in quality, I want to go back to Rush. The bosses are slightly harder re-skins of past bosses, the Aquarium Park boss pisses the **** out of me, the voice clip of Sonic taking damage is ****ed beyond repair, and the final boss is the dumbest thing since killing off Sonic in 2006!

This game is TOO easy. I beat the game in 4 hours. If I had a say in which game I got, I would have chosen the Wii version. The Wi-Fi records system is broken, the Wisp control in this game is ass, and I don't feel like I'm playing a Sonic game when I struggle to control the Drill Wisp, and spin into mine after mine. I feel like a drunk person mowing down pedestrians trying to get home.

This game is obviously flawed.

1. Feb 2, 2011
    If you have enjoyed previous Sonic games but were hesitant to pick this one up because of the most recent Sonic outings, worry no more. Sonic Colors is worth the price of admission.
  2. Jan 17, 2011
    Sonic Colors for DS enjoy as the Wii's version. Inheriting many of the mechanical from Sonic Rush and enriched it with the super powers received by the Wisps, this chapter respects the tradition and updates it painlessly.
  3. Jan 10, 2011
    It's true that Sonic Colors is an imperfect game, plagued by dull boss battles and uneven difficulty, but it's still an enjoyable DS title with enough similarities to 16-bit Sonic games to keep both old and new fans of the franchise entertained.