• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Sep 18, 2007
8.0

1. Jul 16, 2011
    After Sonic Adventure I kind of fell in love with modern sonic and the whole 3d + great graphics + even more speed as well. Not to say I dont like the classical sonic, im a fan. So I bought this game not expecting much before a long train trip in Japan. It did impress me... the trip went by quickly cause it is indeed fun! I like the modern feeling they give to 2D portable sonic gamesAfter Sonic Adventure I kind of fell in love with modern sonic and the whole 3d + great graphics + even more speed as well. Not to say I dont like the classical sonic, im a fan. So I bought this game not expecting much before a long train trip in Japan. It did impress me... the trip went by quickly cause it is indeed fun! I like the modern feeling they give to 2D portable sonic games nowadays and this is one of the best examples. Simply put: If you like sonic, you will like this game. If you are one of the gamers that USED to like Sonic, you will like this game as well. If you hate sonic... well.. I wouldnt bother. For me, though....Best surprise Ive ever had because I always think and search for info regarding games before I buy and this one I just picked up and had a lot of fun! Made me play sonic games again! Expand
  2. May 2, 2012
    Way better than sonic rush that explains it all.
  3. Nov 9, 2014
    This is the second time I have played through the game, and I can say really good things about it!

Story: The story is a continuation of the original Sonic rush albeit tropical island themed this time around. Sonic and Tails meet up with this racoon named Marine and a whole new venture starts from there! You will see a few familiar faces along the way, but the game does boast quite a few new characters!

Graphics: This game looks very good for a DS game. Sonic and Blaze are full 3D models while everything else is 2D sprites. Just like the first game, this setup works very well; the colorfulness of some areas are baffling! Some cut scenes are full rendered while some are static character portraits. They both look very good, and keep the story moving along at a nice pace.

Sound: Probably the best part of the game. Everything sounds WONDERFUL from the level themes, to the main hub world theme. Sound effects sound great; like Sonic destroying an enemy or his boost, and all these sounds keep you immersed in the game, and really makes you WANT to keep playing. I would highly recommend looking up the soundtrack for this game!

Gameplay: This game plays GREAT! It plays like an old Sonic game from the genesis days, albeit the physics are a little off in comparison. This was probably due to the fact that they wanted to keep speed in the game in emphasis (It is called Sonic Rush lol). The boost mechanic returns from Sonic Rush, and it works just as well as it did in that game. The level design is built around using it strategically, so if anyone says "Boost to win" That is not a proper argument here. The only thing that is a complaint is that they have added vehicles sections to the game. They really are not bad at all, but they do cut into the actually meat of the game towards the end. The saving grace of the vehicles sections is that they control good, and are fun to play.

Replay Value: This game is very repayable. With the ranking system, missions, and material gathering; there is PLENTY to do in this game! After finishing the main story, there is plenty more content to get your hands on! See if you can get all S ranks! That will prove that you mastered the game!

As you can see, the game is very good, the only thing that keeps it from a perfect score would be vehicle sections popping up a bit too much, and material gathering during the story can be a little bit of a downer (Though playing through levels again is good way to practice for the S rank). So, I would give this game a very strong recommendation!

1. Like these guys say, the standard Sonic action is easily the main draw, especially when it gets more challenging--and satisfying--toward the end. [Oct 2007, p.102]
  2. A reminder why Sonic has lasted 16 years. Fast, frantic and, most importantly, fun. [Oct 2007, p.71]
  3. A consummate Sonic experience, reminding us exactly why the blue blur was great in the first place - plus, it's got tons of replay value tucked inside. [Oct 2007, p.84]