• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 15, 2005
8.4

1. Mar 13, 2015
    Of all the sonic platformers I've played, this is the one I've had the most fun with. The controls, gameplay graphics, and music (especially the music) are all fantastic. While the level design may not be perfect for the same reason most sonic games aren't (taking damage or falling down a pit due to something you couldn't react to or properly see), the fact that the game is very forgivingOf all the sonic platformers I've played, this is the one I've had the most fun with. The controls, gameplay graphics, and music (especially the music) are all fantastic. While the level design may not be perfect for the same reason most sonic games aren't (taking damage or falling down a pit due to something you couldn't react to or properly see), the fact that the game is very forgiving combined with the fact the game takes an effort to properly prepare you for life or death sequences keeps the frustration at minimum; blasting through the levels can be incredibly fun and satisfying. On top of that, this game has some of the best bosses in a platformer I've ever encountered. They're all very well designed, and while the game is guilty of one or two palette swaps, the bosses themselves don't suffer because of it.
    All in all, if you're a fan of platformers or sonic in general, you definitely won't be disappointed. While it's not the longest game, it's fun the whole way through. Definitely give it a shot if you're interested.
  2. Apr 13, 2014
    This is the best Dimps Sonic game. I can easily pick up my 3DS and play this game and have a good time doing so. If you want the final story, then play as Blaze. I don't do so since the running animation feels weird, and she is much slower.
  3. Jan 19, 2014
    Sonic Rush is a great Sonic title by Dimps, It's great fun to go blasting though the levels while boosting, and it is a fun challenge to see how far you can go without running out of boost energy. The only problem I have with the gameplay is how Sonic and Blaze's play exactly the same and how their zones are exactly the same just in a different order.

The story is basically the typical

The story is basically the typical Sonic story. Dr. Eggman is evil. Go stop him. Nothing really worth talking about.

Graphically the game is great. With the very nice looking 2D backgrounds and stages. Sonic and Blaze's 3D models are decent as well. The bosses, which are also 3D models, are also passable.

The soundtrack is phenomenal. Done by Hideki Naganuma, famous for his work on Jet Set Radio. He brings a soundtrack that is very different from any other soundtrack in the series. Which no game in the series has been able to replicate. The soundtrack is made up of most made up of techno and it sounds amazing. It's very up-beat and catchy. Sound Effects are nothing special. And the voice clips work well enough.

Overall a great entry into the Sonic franchise, with it's fun gameplay, great graphics, and phenomenal soundtrack. I recommend it to anyone.

OVERALL-
  4. Jan 12, 2014
    This is platforming to the most extreme level. The game's many long levels have been crafted perfectly to give you a real "rush" like feeling. The basic story may only take you 8-12 hours to beat, but the story isnt really over then. If you do something (can't say), then something will happen, greatly extending the hours to play, and you won't get bored with it! The multiplayer is alsoThis is platforming to the most extreme level. The game's many long levels have been crafted perfectly to give you a real "rush" like feeling. The basic story may only take you 8-12 hours to beat, but the story isnt really over then. If you do something (can't say), then something will happen, greatly extending the hours to play, and you won't get bored with it! The multiplayer is also amazing as you get to race around with your friend, very rush-like! I highly recommend this game to all sonic and platformer fans!!!

Gameplay: 10/10
    Story: 8.5/10
    Music: 9/10
    Presentation: 9/10
    Length: 9/10
    Overall: 9.5/10
  5. Dec 17, 2013
    Sonic Rush introduces a new style of play to 2-D Sonic games, and I for one, really enjoyed the outcome. The goal is the same, but the way you go about reaching the goal has changed. Often, it's hard to get Sonic rolling, and all these enemies in the way made it a challenge to do so. DIMPS had the marvelous idea of adding a boost mechanic in which Sonic can tear through just about anySonic Rush introduces a new style of play to 2-D Sonic games, and I for one, really enjoyed the outcome. The goal is the same, but the way you go about reaching the goal has changed. Often, it's hard to get Sonic rolling, and all these enemies in the way made it a challenge to do so. DIMPS had the marvelous idea of adding a boost mechanic in which Sonic can tear through just about any obstacle with the touch of the button and accelerate to greater speeds.

One would worry that this would create an imbalance in the gameplay. All you would have to do is hit the boost button through the level. To cover for that problem, the trick system was implemented, which has you using the hang time from bumpers and ramps into moments where you're frantically hitting the trick button, which so also happens to be the boost button. You'll find yourself budgeting how much time you have before you hit the ground before you can blast off in a frenzy. Sometimes, it's a danger, and you must carefully finish your tricks before landing, cause otherwise, you may send yourself to your death. The game is smart in forcing the player to think about when to use the boost and when not to. Those that try to just blast through every obstacle will fall right into every trap that this game has to offer.

Figuring out the most efficient paths and how to effectively use the new boost mechanic leaves you on your toes trying to move faster, yet smarter. The game's worlds are enormous and make good use of the 2 screens. Blaze enhances the game slightly by allowing for a different play style as well.

Overall, I enjoyed the change in pacing for Sonic. A great way to modernize the 2-D style of gameplay, and full of frantic fun.
  6. Jan 18, 2013
    Overall, this is a great game and probably the best of the franchise, The levels and are fun, fast and free with so many different paths to sure and use against people on Multiplayer and both characters playble have a good unique skill set. Music is funky and super cool. Graphics are energitic and perfect for a DS game and the boss fights are amazing! You would even feel like beating theOverall, this is a great game and probably the best of the franchise, The levels and are fun, fast and free with so many different paths to sure and use against people on Multiplayer and both characters playble have a good unique skill set. Music is funky and super cool. Graphics are energitic and perfect for a DS game and the boss fights are amazing! You would even feel like beating the game with new scored over and over again and it dosent get boring. Even listining to sound clips are fun and the story is simple and compelling. The only things that went wrong was a huge lack of touch screen for a DS game and there is less thinking and platform. Maybe some extra types of levels other than fast stages would be better as well. Expand
  7. Dec 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Worth the buy....it could be tricky in some parts but it's a fun game and who doesn't like beating eggman a million times:)...fun game and you can play as sonic or blaze and have different endings Expand
  8. Apr 26, 2012
    This is totality one of the best ds games because this game just has it all great storyline kind of good graphics and there are also two ways to play sonic and blaze and this is the main point of the game the two different characters to play as.With this rating you will see what I mean.
  9. Jan 24, 2012
    Sonic Rush showcases the awesomeness of the DS rather well, with fast-paced sonic awesomeness taking place over both screens. I haven't played a Sonic game on a Nintendo Handheld that I haven't enjoyed. It isn't fantastic, just great. Where it succeeds is the gameplay and difficulty, very good. But where it fails is in level design and music. The levels are mostly good, but there are oneSonic Rush showcases the awesomeness of the DS rather well, with fast-paced sonic awesomeness taking place over both screens. I haven't played a Sonic game on a Nintendo Handheld that I haven't enjoyed. It isn't fantastic, just great. Where it succeeds is the gameplay and difficulty, very good. But where it fails is in level design and music. The levels are mostly good, but there are one or two that aren't so great and the game contains what is quite possibly the most annoying soundtrack I've ever heard on the DS. But, it is great and Blaze isn't actually that bad, maybe a tad pointless, but not that bad. Expand
  10. Oct 18, 2011
    best originally handheld sonic game that isnt called sonic advance, so go get its rly cheap actually preowned, so yeah, (agents are...) GO get it now, and i give it a 94%, and i rly dont know what didnt make me give it a ten, but what the heck?
  11. Apr 20, 2011
    Sonic Rush is a great game. It's fast, exhilerating, and action-packed with a trick system to refill your boost gauge. Many old-school fans would dislike the game for its linear level design and focus on speed, but I honestly like it regardless and I believe any casual gamer will adore it as well.

However, it does have a list of problems besides that. Most of it involves a heavy emphasis on bottomless pits and poor enemy placement. There are times where they just put enemies right on the track in front of you, where you are going too fast to react. The boost does it best to alleviate the problem (considering that you're invincible when you use it), but then it leads to the bottomless pit problem, where you would speed right off a ledge and land on a falling platform with no time for a first-time reaction and ending up falling to your death. Levels like Altitude Limit will easily frustrate. You can easily avoid these problems by learning the level layout as you play, but that doesn't change the fact that the problem's still there.

Nevertheless, it's fun and interactive. Definetely worth taking a look at.
  12. Oct 18, 2011

An extremely polished DS title. It does a great job offering a fantastic, energetic old-school challenge that keeps the classic gaming style alive.
  2. Sonic Rush moves Sonic's 2D adventures over to the DS, and that positive trend continues with a platformer that focuses on raw speed while still managing to do interesting new things, particularly when it comes to the handheld's dual-screen format.
  3. Sonic Rush is an excellent pick-up-and-play title that's as addictive as any in the series, and has better graphics, sound, and presentation than any title before it.