7.4

1. Mar 10, 2012
    Only a little above average. Really shallow gameplay nad very repetitive missions. Quite good, but not breathtaking graphics. The soundtrack I cannot even memorize. Maybe the fact that I'm not Star Trek fan is the reason. If you're actual fan of the universe, you cann add a point or two to my score.
  2. Sep 9, 2011
    This game I simply have to grade on a curve. Let's face it. The vast majority of 'Trek games out there just plain suck. The ones that are any good at all usually have massive, game-killing flaws, making for very unhealthy gamer - game relationships marked by lots of abuse from both sides frequently unending due to sheer bloody-mindedness (**coughcoughbridgecommanderhackwheeze**) originating from a diehard fanbase. For a trek game, it's not bad overall. The plot is okay, the missions are challenging but not stupid, and the actual combat system, while not perfect, is at least playable. Once you can play the Klingon campaign, there's an option that allows you to change your controls on the touch screen from English to tlhIngan'Hol pIqaD that appears to be Orkandian-canon friendly. On the flip-side, it seems that it suffers from instability, much like Bridge Commander. I had it freeze on me more than a few times playing through. Ships with cloaking have a serious advantage against you, since they can shoot at you for several seconds before you can even target them. However, when you play with a ship that cloaks, the AI ships seem to have no problems targeting you very quickly and pumping your nacelles full of cohesive nadion pulses. Shield regeneration seems to be very illogical, being very slow and far too brief in combat. Sometimes, the shields will partially be restored when warping system to system, but sometimes not, and a few times I actually lost shield integrity in transit. Topping all that off is the fact that Klingon shields don't restore at all, adding yet another layer of difficulty to the Klingon campaign (no wonder they always seem to be so ticked off). If you're a fan, you'll probably enjoy yourself, but otherwise, don't bother, as for you, I would rate it a 4 instead. Expand
  3. Mar 10, 2012

1. But like so many iterations of the franchise(Star Wars fans think they've got it bad), Tactical Assault ultimately disappoints. [Dec. 2006, p.110]
  2. Tactical Assault is not a typical strategy game, and the original design feels fresh when you first start playing. But it's also a one-trick pony, boiling down to the same basic maneuvers and slow-paced combat. It also horribly overlooks its license.
  3. Although the game contains an interesting tactical set-up and numerous races to choose from (Klingons included), the game just isn't fun to play. Not only is it unnecessarily complicated, but also slow and sloppy.