8.2

1. Feb 12, 2018
    My favourite game of all time and teh ds remake makes it even better with improved grafics, better controls, more stars and a multiplayer mode with a selection of 27 mini games.
  2. Feb 2, 2018
    Super Mario 64 is often hailed as one of the best games of all time. With such a prestigious reputation, I couldn't help but feel slightly underwhelmed when playing it. It's a very good game, and it is fun, but it's​ been overshadowed by so many games after it. Of course, what it did to revolutionise 3D gaming cannot be denied, but that in itself does not define the quality of this game.Super Mario 64 is often hailed as one of the best games of all time. With such a prestigious reputation, I couldn't help but feel slightly underwhelmed when playing it. It's a very good game, and it is fun, but it's​ been overshadowed by so many games after it. Of course, what it did to revolutionise 3D gaming cannot be denied, but that in itself does not define the quality of this game. Super Mario 64 was a milestone in the progression of video games, but although it must have been impressive back in 1996, that doesn't mean it's still just as good today. Games age, and there's nothing wrong with that. People need to accept that what may once have been the best game in existence is no longer amazing. It's still a great game, but nostalgia and the fact that it revolutionised 3D gaming blind people to it's obvious flaws.

What makes SM64 a great game is it's well designed large levels, which are all unique, atmospheric and charming. Conceptually, the idea of finding stars in each level (and in the hub world) is something I like, so it's a shame finding them is often tedious due to the nature in which you find them - collect 100 coins, collect 8 red coins, go to a location shown on the map. The more time you spend in each level the more apparent the limitations of the technology behind the game become - they aren't really that big and some are quite empty. The levels are creative and even iconic, but there isn't much variety in terms of gameplay as many of the challenges are almost identical. More variety would have been welcome, as would rewards for collecting stars - the lack of a sense of progression is caused by the nonlinear journey and lack of rewards, which in turn means difficulty doesn't scale well and there is little motivation to collect all 150 stars (although I did anyway).

Ultimately, it's fun. It's just not special enough to warrant such a coveted reputation. It has charm but so does every other Mario game I've played. The reason I didn't love it like I hoped I would is because of the ridiculously high bar set by it's unjustified reputation. I should have expected a fun Mario game, not a masterpiece - it's great, but not as good as it may have been two decades ago, and that's okay. A game this old shouldn't hold up as well as it does, but unfortunately for Super Mario 64, over the 20+ years since it's release, standards have risen and many games have surpassed it. I hope that Super Mario Odyssey will be a successor to this which builds on its many strengths (charm, unique level design, good atmosphere, collectathon formula, fun) and overcomes it's weaknesses (lack of variation in terms of star challenges, somewhat small levels, lack of a sense of progression, few truly special moments). If you go into Super Mario 64 expecting the best game of all time, you will be disappointed. Go into it expecting a fun time and you will be pleased - the same can be said for any Mario game. What was once amazing is now great - which is commendable given its age, but people need to accept that standards have been raised and that SM64 isn't so special anymore. It's easy to recommend this game, especially the DS port that I played that also contains lots of simple but addictive minigames as well as updated graphics.

Super Mario 64 DS is great - it's charming and most importantly, fun. It's core mechanics are all extremely solid and hold up to this day, and the level design in particular is a highlight despite some levels being small and slightly too empty. The collectathon style is great but many of the stars are found in too similar a fashion. It isn't as amazing as it's reputation would suggest, but it's worthwhile to play due to being very fun and due it being a key piece of gaming history.
  3. Jan 1, 2018
    While I may never be lucky enough to own a Nintendo 64, I can at least enjoy the great game that was Mario 64 for the DS. Mixing great platforming and puzzles with mesmerizing music. Mario 64 will always be good fun
  4. Nov 18, 2017
    the only downside is the dead WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK IS THE CONTROLS MAN use the 3ds
  5. Nov 10, 2017
    One of my favorite games of all time. Great Super Mario game for the handheld. It is a hard, fun, challenging, and unique Super Mario game. It also looks great.
  6. Nov 1, 2017
    This game is super fun! The best way to play super mario 64. So many more characters and ways to play! You should go buy it know GO! GO! KNOW! Overall good game ;)
  7. Oct 23, 2017
    Aquest joc no ho acabí, però amb el temps que ho juguí, vaig poder veure que és fascinant trobar les estrelles que es trobin a cada costat, passar completament aquest joc és un gran mèrit per al jugador.
  8. Oct 21, 2017
    This is the best way to play Super Mario 64. Not as an N64 game, but just this game in general. Yes, having to use the D-pad is a bit different, but the N64 version already feels like it was meant to use the D-pad anyway, probably cause it was originally meant to be an SNES title. Now there's the 3DS and the Wii U (via Nintendo Network), so the D-pad problem is solved, if you prefer theThis is the best way to play Super Mario 64. Not as an N64 game, but just this game in general. Yes, having to use the D-pad is a bit different, but the N64 version already feels like it was meant to use the D-pad anyway, probably cause it was originally meant to be an SNES title. Now there's the 3DS and the Wii U (via Nintendo Network), so the D-pad problem is solved, if you prefer the stick. There's just too much to this game to call it "not as good" as the N64 version. To me, it's the other way around. Some stuff is still a pain to control like the N64 version, but this one is about 5 times better. Expand
  9. Sep 3, 2017
    I think the DS version is actually a bit better than the original, now listen the only reason why I think the DS version is better cause it aged well. The levels are amazing as ever and playing as Wario, Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi?! It's awesome!
  10. Jul 2, 2017
    A perfect example of how a remake should be made. The game is extremely faithful to the soul of the original title, featuring at the same time new characters, some additional content - extra stars and mini-games - and beautifully remastered graphics, which look very good for the limited capabilities of the NDS.
    The game offers a pretty hardcore experience through the 15 locations in which
    The game offers a pretty hardcore experience through the 15 locations in which Mario has to pick up Power Stars in order to save Peach - in fact, there won't be any checkpoints (except for boss battles) and sometimes you'll have to face some tricky bosses.
    However, the game has two big negative aspects: firstly, the input system. The D-pad doesn't fit well with the nature of the game, which should be played with analog sticks in order to drive Mario precisely. You can use also the touchscreen, but it's so uncomfortable that you'll rarely want to use it. Obviously this is more a console fault than a game one.
    And secondly, there's the camera system. More than once you'll want to kill the person who has developed it. Sometimes happens that when you are on a tight platform, the camera suddenly starts to change direction. The possible consequences are two: either you manage to stop Mario and then proceed slowly until the camera stops moving, or you fall down because you didn't notice the camera movement in time (most probably). If they added an option or a button to lock the camera behind Mario, the problem would have been resolved.
    Apart from these inconveniences, the game experience is engaging and the well-designed locations capture perfectly the essence of exploration and adventure. If you are a new Mario fan, play this game rather than the original 64!

PS: Ah, I was forgetting - they ruined the original 64 credits theme trying to make it last a bit longer! What a shame! :(
  11. Jun 23, 2017
    Super Mario 64 DS is a DS port of the original Super Mario 64 for the Nintendo 64, considered by many to be one of the greatest video games of all time. Along with Ocarina of Time, many view it to have set the standard for all 3D open-world games to come subsequently. Personally, 64 DS is one of my favorite video games of all time. The game's worlds are so well designed, that finding eachSuper Mario 64 DS is a DS port of the original Super Mario 64 for the Nintendo 64, considered by many to be one of the greatest video games of all time. Along with Ocarina of Time, many view it to have set the standard for all 3D open-world games to come subsequently. Personally, 64 DS is one of my favorite video games of all time. The game's worlds are so well designed, that finding each individual star in itself feels like an adventure, and when you get that star, it feels so rewarding. The ability to play as 3 additional characters over the 64 version, as well as various mini-games only add to the games enjoyability. The aforementioned intricate world designs allow for multiple replays of the game to feel extremely satisfying, and I found myself just playing through worlds over and over again. However, nothing is perfect. The touch screen controls designed for the DS were extremely hard for me to get the hang of properly. Also, some sections of the game feel like they have appeared before, and many of the boss battles are pretty repetitive. Despite this, SM 64 DS is undoubtedly, one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had since I started playing video games. Expand
  12. Mar 26, 2017
    A fantastic game that's incredibly frustrating to control. The first thing you realize is how VITAL the analog stick is for Mario 64. It's a shame that this upgraded version of SM64 has more content but is less accessible.
  13. Mar 14, 2017
    Graphics - 8
    Music - 10
    Story - 6
    Gameplay - 10
    Content - 10
    Personal Fun - 10 .
  14. Mar 4, 2017
    As a disclaimer, I played this on a 3DS, not a DS, so I had access to a Circle Pad. My review will be based on the experience with that system.
    So overall, this is a pretty great game. The graphics are certainly improved, so everything is visually appealing. I found myself putting lots of time into the mini-games available, they're all very fun in their own simple ways whether it be a memory test or a luck test. The main mode, the story, was just as fun, especially with the unique ways each character could interact with the environment. The controls from my experience are very smooth. There's really just so much I like about this game and I've put hours upon hours into it on road trips. I'd definitely recommend it for anybody looking to pick up a straightforwardly fun DS game.
  15. Jan 9, 2017
    This game is amazing, great plataform game, one of the best, very funy, great level desing, graphics, characters, the only thing that is no good is the camera, sometimes is confuse to control.
  16. Nov 14, 2016
    I loved the original Mario 64. I'd stay up school nights playing it with my dad. It was the father of all 3D platforming BUT it was only able to do that because the N64 controller came with an analog stick. The lack of an analog stick on the DS makes this game almost unplayable. Even with the analog stick the original Mario 64 had camera problems, the DS version ratchets this up to 11.I loved the original Mario 64. I'd stay up school nights playing it with my dad. It was the father of all 3D platforming BUT it was only able to do that because the N64 controller came with an analog stick. The lack of an analog stick on the DS makes this game almost unplayable. Even with the analog stick the original Mario 64 had camera problems, the DS version ratchets this up to 11. It's clear this game was made with love and dedication but this game just doesn't work with this system. Expand
  17. Oct 25, 2016
    It's good, but now you know where the star is because it shows you in the touch screen, otherwise it's really good you have multiple characters to play as like, wario, yoshi, and my favorite:Luigi
  18. Oct 17, 2016
    After 13 years pass after playing the original and never finishing it; I finally finish it in this portable version and still is sounds and plays wonderful. Plus, you now you can play all the characters in the beginning or at lest during the story The only issue is the controls at times have bad angles and the graphics haven't age well.Overall for any 64 console or Mario fan is a mustAfter 13 years pass after playing the original and never finishing it; I finally finish it in this portable version and still is sounds and plays wonderful. Plus, you now you can play all the characters in the beginning or at lest during the story The only issue is the controls at times have bad angles and the graphics haven't age well.Overall for any 64 console or Mario fan is a must play because its still the awesome game that i remember playing as a kid. Expand
  19. Oct 8, 2016
    How do you mess up this bad nintendo

how do you disservice a legend like this it's so disappointing i have to dislike this game enough to never return to it I've beaten this game 100% i have a completed file. it was one of the first games i ever did that with. having done that i can say this without any doubts this is a would be fantastic game that came out on the wrong
    How do you mess up this bad nintendo

how do you disservice a legend like this

it's so disappointing i have to dislike this game enough to never return to it

having done that i can say this without any doubts

this is a would be fantastic game that came out on the wrong hardware.

the controls kill this game

they make this game a chore to get through

honestly go play new super mario bros, that game is super hard sometimes but you'll get more enjoyment out of it then you will with this
  20. Aug 29, 2016
    One of the best DS game ever made, if not the best. Is Super Mario 64, so already a fantastic game, better graphics, much more content, 4 characters instead of one, 150 stars instead of just 120, new great levels and mini-games that are very good, not all of them but the majority are pretty enjoyable. The reason I'm not giving it higher like the original is that playing with a D-pad is notOne of the best DS game ever made, if not the best. Is Super Mario 64, so already a fantastic game, better graphics, much more content, 4 characters instead of one, 150 stars instead of just 120, new great levels and mini-games that are very good, not all of them but the majority are pretty enjoyable. The reason I'm not giving it higher like the original is that playing with a D-pad is not the best way to play this game, it's still fantastic but is not the best, playing it on a 3DS helps a lot thanks to the circle pad but using a controls stick is still the best way, so buy it on the Wii U VC. HIGHLY recommended. Expand
  21. Aug 15, 2016
    awesome remake for one of the first 3D platformers. More playable characters, mini games, & even more stars to collect. It also plays even better on the new 3DS with the analog stick giving you better control of the characters.
  22. Jul 20, 2016
    I love this game cause you get to be Mario, Luigi, Wario, AND Yoshi. The graphics and controls as well as the music are so memorable and perfect! People hate this game for the wrong reasons.
  23. Feb 5, 2016
    This port from the Nintendo 64 to Nintendo DS feels a little solid compared to the original 64 game. The graphics feels a bit choppy, the controls feel weak, and this game is old-fashioned, but anyways... it's a keeper's collection waiting for you.
  24. Jan 2, 2016
    The game is a classic, it is improved with more characters, more stars and more content, but the most important part of a platform game is having tight controls, and Super Mario 64 DS fails at that. The control(s) scheme are abysmal, camera controls are a joke and you will die a lot on the later stage simply because you character is not as responsive as it should be, not to mention veryThe game is a classic, it is improved with more characters, more stars and more content, but the most important part of a platform game is having tight controls, and Super Mario 64 DS fails at that. The control(s) scheme are abysmal, camera controls are a joke and you will die a lot on the later stage simply because you character is not as responsive as it should be, not to mention very sluggish when it's moving/turning at slow speed. This didn't age well. Expand
  25. Aug 24, 2015
    Not as good as the N64 version but it's still good. The music is classic. The graphics are better than the N64 version, but it is so hard to control the characters. It makes me very mad. I die because I can't control my character. It's cool that you can play as Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario. It's also cool that the plot is tweaked because there are more characters. There are more starsNot as good as the N64 version but it's still good. The music is classic. The graphics are better than the N64 version, but it is so hard to control the characters. It makes me very mad. I die because I can't control my character. It's cool that you can play as Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario. It's also cool that the plot is tweaked because there are more characters. There are more stars too. Pretty good game, but I would stick with the N64 version. The DS version does have mini games though. They are pretty fun. Expand
  26. May 9, 2015
    This is the best DS game ever made! If you hate Nintendo 64 or DS or Mario, you're silly as J Bieber. The graphics are good for DS. The controls were good. Yoshi,Wario,Luigi,and Mario are awesome. The Level designs were pretty cool. This is the first game I've beaten 100% all 150 Stars. This is a very great DS game and I would totally recommend you get it.
  27. Apr 11, 2015
    Awesome game! The graphics are really nice, the gameplay is fun, and the music is cool. However collecting all 150 stars could be hard and take quite some time. Overall it's cool
  28. Mar 16, 2015
    Der Vorgänger war schon gut genug , aber dieses Spiel konnte nochmal einiges mehr bieten ! Allein die 30 neuen Sterne konnten mich schon überzeugen ! Der Stick hat mir nicht gefehlt , da ich mit dieser Steuerung auch sehr gut zurechtkam ;3
  29. Mar 13, 2015
    The game is A great update of a classic game.Just enough has been changed to make old players have to think to proceed. Minigames are fun and highly addictive.but some are the same as the new super mario bros ds the boring it Control isn't as tight as the original. Sound occasionally a little tinny.
  30. Jan 11, 2015
    Please note I played this on the 3DS and not the original DS, so I didn't have to use touch controls and had no problem with them whatsoever!

Super Mario 64 DS is a remake of the Nintendo 64 classic Super Mario 64 (that's a lot of 64s). Dare I say that this remake is even better than the original? The main difference is the addition of new playable characters: Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario. You start out as Yoshi and you have to rescue Luigi, Wario, and Mario from the clutches of Bowser by collecting a certain amount of Power Stars. They all have their own special abilities when they obtain the Power Flower, a new item in the game. If Mario gets a Power Flower, he floats. Luigi can vanish, Wario turns into metal, and Yoshi can breathe fire!

Back when Super Mario 64 first came out, it set the standard for 3D platforming! That "standard" is back and better than ever with much better visuals and sound quality! All of the levels are uniquely designed with a few new ones getting thrown in there just for kicks. It's nice to see a lot of effort get put into a remake that could've easily just been a port with advanced graphics.

The bosses featured in the game are all unique and different from each other! You might have to throw Big Bob-omb off a ledge or ground pound the Whomp King. Each painting you go in feels like a whole new, alive breathing world with a whole new, alive breathing boss. Bowser is fought several times in the game but his fights are usually all the same. Mario 64 DS also throws in a few minigames for more replayability. There's one involving Luigi and another involving Yoshi called "loves me, loves me not" which is really quite pointless. They're all fun in their own right though.

Overall, Super Mario 64 DS has done for the DS what Super Mario 64 did for 3D platforming. It's brought a great game to a new generation...and it did a pretty good job at it!
  31. Nov 11, 2014
    You best be playing this game on your 3ds since the control pad doesn't work very well. But other than that, the additional characters and updated graphics make this a splendid remake.
  32. Nov 9, 2014
    I think this game just ruins the older one. because it is way different than the normal one, and it is changes the story mode very easily. with makes no scene.
  33. Jul 12, 2014
    I don't like this remake too much, to be honest, but I still think it's quite decent. The thing that annoyed me the most were the controls. The turning is waaay too slow and it's almost impossible to make a sideflip, which was one of the most useful moves in the original game. The controls just feel clunky overall. I didn't really like how you had to change character or get a cap to doI don't like this remake too much, to be honest, but I still think it's quite decent. The thing that annoyed me the most were the controls. The turning is waaay too slow and it's almost impossible to make a sideflip, which was one of the most useful moves in the original game. The controls just feel clunky overall. I didn't really like how you had to change character or get a cap to do certain missions either. I just want to play as Mario all the time like you could in the original game, but that wasn't a too big problem anyway. But it did have really great graphics for being a DS game, and it felt really amazing to see a classic Mario game with modernized character and level design. The mini-games were really fun too and EXTREMELY addictive, but that's basically the only thing I really enjoyed about the remake. I still prefer the original. But like I said, it's still a decent remake if you ignore its flaws. I kinda understand that some people like it, but I personally didn't enjoy it too much. Expand
  34. Jan 8, 2014
    this was my dream game. the only game i would want for DS. the game that started it all. literally revamped. just remade. i mean, it's just breathtaking compared to the 64. i loved it the first moment i slid the power button.
  35. Nov 27, 2013
    Got this game a few years ago and recently replayed it. Great stuff, vast improvement over the original N64 version. The only fault I could find were the controls and camera, which can easily be forgiven as after only a short time can be mastered and used effectively.
  36. Aug 4, 2013
    When I saw there was a version of Mario 64 on the DS I knew I wanted the system.

This is the biggest reason I wanted a DS in the first place. This game is everything the 64 version is and then some, it also has a fun multiplayer, but the biggest addition is the inclusion of characters, Yoshi, Luigi and Wario with their own unique abilities. The controls arent ideal without a analog

The controls arent ideal without a analog stick, but its a minor issue you will soon forget once you start playing this amazing game.

Quite possibly the best game for the system 10 out of 10!
  37. May 14, 2013
    Super Mario 64 DS is a decent addition to what seems like a system that has a less appealing platformer roster compared to other Nintendo systems. If you are new to the series or new to Mario 64 this is a great game to start on. It includes pretty much the original game but you get so much more such as the multiple types of gameplay with the different characters, mini games and improvedSuper Mario 64 DS is a decent addition to what seems like a system that has a less appealing platformer roster compared to other Nintendo systems. If you are new to the series or new to Mario 64 this is a great game to start on. It includes pretty much the original game but you get so much more such as the multiple types of gameplay with the different characters, mini games and improved visuals and sounds. If you are a veteran Mario fan and a old player of the first game you will enjoy this game but you might find the controls a bit too clunky compared to the original game. Despite its short comings to a veteran player, this game is still recommended as it is still enjoyable. Expand
  38. Feb 21, 2013
    This is a pretty good port of Super Mario 64, taking a step in the right direction by changing up the game, by adding stars, minigames, and more playable characters, plus a new way of going through the game, but suffers from a lousy control scheme. But one thing that people dont realize is... YOU DONT HAVE TO USE THE TOUCH SCREEN TO CONTROL, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS HOLD Y WHILE RUNNING, ITSThis is a pretty good port of Super Mario 64, taking a step in the right direction by changing up the game, by adding stars, minigames, and more playable characters, plus a new way of going through the game, but suffers from a lousy control scheme. But one thing that people dont realize is... YOU DONT HAVE TO USE THE TOUCH SCREEN TO CONTROL, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS HOLD Y WHILE RUNNING, ITS SERIOUSLY THAT SIMPLE. Ahem, with that finally out of the way, using the touchscreen makes this game akward and unplayable, however with the d pad, this makes the game much more enjoyable. the game still controls fairly awkardly, but its not difficult to get used to. all in all, with the different twists to the original game, more characters, really fun and suprisingly addictive extra minigames, and beautifully remade graphics, Super mario 64 DS is a great port, and a definitive title to have in your DS collection. Expand
  39. Nov 16, 2012
    It's like a console game in a handheld, and it doesn't work because of the inflexible controls. It would fit more on the Nintendo Wii than the Nintendo DS.
  40. Aug 12, 2012
    This game is just really fun. Brings back the good old days of the N64 but with some new stuff. More characters to start off. You start as Yoshi and unlock everyone else as you progress. The controls are a little stiff but if you are good at playing than you'll have no problem. The mini games are fun and are also a little fun to unlock. The new levels are also fun and the BowserThis game is just really fun. Brings back the good old days of the N64 but with some new stuff. More characters to start off. You start as Yoshi and unlock everyone else as you progress. The controls are a little stiff but if you are good at playing than you'll have no problem. The mini games are fun and are also a little fun to unlock. The new levels are also fun and the Bowser fights never get old. This game is just really addictive and a great re-release of an already historic game and i suggest it for everybody cause who can get tired of Mario? Expand
  41. Jul 27, 2012
    Is this just a port of Mario 64 to DS? No. They added 30 new stars, enhanced the game experience in many ways by allowing you to play with 4 characters, and best of all, added amazing touch pad minigames - a ton of them. I'm not exaggerating either their quality and replayability is great, along with the ideas they had for them. It's some of the best touchpad fun you'll get on DS. This isIs this just a port of Mario 64 to DS? No. They added 30 new stars, enhanced the game experience in many ways by allowing you to play with 4 characters, and best of all, added amazing touch pad minigames - a ton of them. I'm not exaggerating either their quality and replayability is great, along with the ideas they had for them. It's some of the best touchpad fun you'll get on DS. This is the way all ports should be, if at least companies didn't get to lazy. A great buy for DS even if you've played mario 64 before. Expand
  42. Jun 6, 2012
    This is the game you played back on the Nintendo 64 back in the day with enhanced graphics and Luigi, Wario, and Yoshi this game is the same thing as the one you remember but they added more stars and the ability to switch between all of these characters each character has different powers making this game even more diverse so this is a must play the only problem is the camera anglesThis is the game you played back on the Nintendo 64 back in the day with enhanced graphics and Luigi, Wario, and Yoshi this game is the same thing as the one you remember but they added more stars and the ability to switch between all of these characters each character has different powers making this game even more diverse so this is a must play the only problem is the camera angles still mess you up and directional pad isnt a problem now the 3ds is out Expand
  43. Mar 2, 2012
    Some people criticized SM64DS because the DS didn't have an analog stick. Well try it with the 3DS's analog stick! On the 3DS, it is now truly one of the best game remakes ever!
  44. Nov 16, 2011
    "Mario 64" is definitely one of the best DS game i've ever played up to date. It's a unique platform adventure that's not 2-D (oh joy!) and gives you tons of fun, challenging stuff to do. Overall a game any person of any age would enjoy. Must Buy!!!
  45. Oct 15, 2011
    the first game i remember getting is sensational, so obviously 96% and a 10, cause its got more levels and its awesome and get it asap cause youll want it then, so gogogo!!!
  46. May 29, 2011
    Great game. Super Mario 64 DS allows you to play as Yoshi, Mario, Luigi, and Wario. This, I feel, is the biggest jump. In the original, Mario was the only playable character. And with new levels, new Stars, and new abilities, the game rocks! Controls can be slightly wonky at times, and it's not like the idea for this game is 100% brand new for Nintendo, but that doesn't stop Super Mario 64Great game. Super Mario 64 DS allows you to play as Yoshi, Mario, Luigi, and Wario. This, I feel, is the biggest jump. In the original, Mario was the only playable character. And with new levels, new Stars, and new abilities, the game rocks! Controls can be slightly wonky at times, and it's not like the idea for this game is 100% brand new for Nintendo, but that doesn't stop Super Mario 64 DS from being an amazing game with amazing ideas. Expand
  47. Nov 11, 2010
    I have played both versions of Super Mario 64 and gotten 100% on each, and honestly I think that this version is actually better in terms of design. There were some god-awful character designs in the original, and the graphics are much improved. The controls are annoying, but otherwise this is an awesome port of a classic.
  48. AnonymousMC
    Jan 21, 2009
    This game is amazing! No idea why everyone complains about the control scheme? I use the D-pad, that's right! The only thing that took time to get used to was the fact I had to hold a button to run. That took about 5 minutes to master, then it took me no time to start the collectathon. It didn't take me long to amass all 150 stars in the game, about 10hrs of gametime. TheThis game is amazing! No idea why everyone complains about the control scheme? I use the D-pad, that's right! The only thing that took time to get used to was the fact I had to hold a button to run. That took about 5 minutes to master, then it took me no time to start the collectathon. It didn't take me long to amass all 150 stars in the game, about 10hrs of gametime. The mini-games however, are what brings me back to this game. They're amazing! Expand
  49. AnonymousMC
    Jan 19, 2009
    This was a great game. It was the first I bought for the DS. I know what people are talking about when they complain about the controls. Using the Dpad is a bit clumsy, so I used, and highly recommend, the touch mode.I thought it was great, although I did buy a stylus that wrapped around my thumb. I thought that control was extremely innovative (a virtual analog stick! What a concept!).This was a great game. It was the first I bought for the DS. I know what people are talking about when they complain about the controls. Using the Dpad is a bit clumsy, so I used, and highly recommend, the touch mode.I thought it was great, although I did buy a stylus that wrapped around my thumb. I thought that control was extremely innovative (a virtual analog stick! What a concept!).

The graphics were great, they appeared very polished yet polygonal enough to be noticeable.
    Disclaimer
    I did not play this game on the original Nintendo 64, though.

However, on the whole, I think that this a great first title to buy for somebody. But get the wrapping stylus!
  50. AnonymousMC
    Dec 2, 2008
    Simply awesome! One of the best games on the ds i've ever played. Platforming genius. The puzzles are really clever, and the graphics are very good, it's probably the best- looking DS game so far. The downside? Controls. I just use the D-pad, as the touch controls were still fiddly, but even using the d pad took a while to get used to. Anyway, a superb game. My favourite DS game,Simply awesome! One of the best games on the ds i've ever played. Platforming genius. The puzzles are really clever, and the graphics are very good, it's probably the best- looking DS game so far. The downside? Controls. I just use the D-pad, as the touch controls were still fiddly, but even using the d pad took a while to get used to. Anyway, a superb game. My favourite DS game, next to AC:WW. Expand
  51. AnonymousMC
    Oct 27, 2008
    Almost like having the console version on PSP, but the DS version has been enhanced with better graphics, more characters and more replay value, and a whopping 150 stars to collect. However, for kids, the main game difficulty of solving puzzles, having to use characters for certain areas and trying to get enemies without falling off the roof is just to much. Starting off the game as YoshiAlmost like having the console version on PSP, but the DS version has been enhanced with better graphics, more characters and more replay value, and a whopping 150 stars to collect. However, for kids, the main game difficulty of solving puzzles, having to use characters for certain areas and trying to get enemies without falling off the roof is just to much. Starting off the game as Yoshi isn't very good, and some people will get sick of Yoshi, like me. Expand
  52. AnonymousMC
    Jul 10, 2008
    A very good remake for the nintendo ds of the original super mario 64 Its like an upgraded or modified version of the original super mario 64 because there are 30 more secret stars and you can unlock characters like wario and luigi and in the beginning you play with yoshi!! The game is almost flawless only the controls can be frustrating at times.The game is very long and has niceA very good remake for the nintendo ds of the original super mario 64 Its like an upgraded or modified version of the original super mario 64 because there are 30 more secret stars and you can unlock characters like wario and luigi and in the beginning you play with yoshi!! The game is almost flawless only the controls can be frustrating at times.The game is very long and has nice graphics and sound and gameplay and it has multiplayer and it makes use of the touchscreen for camera control and moving your character. The minigames are also a lot of fun. Expand
  53. ScottL.
    Feb 2, 2008
    A dedicated remake of a timeless classic. I must give kudos to the designers for staying so close to the original gameplay on most levels. The beauty and essence of this title, however, lies in the fact that with all of the new stars to find and levels incorporated into the game, you feel as if this is your first experience with Mario 64. Enhanced graphics are a plus (If you compare it to A dedicated remake of a timeless classic. I must give kudos to the designers for staying so close to the original gameplay on most levels. The beauty and essence of this title, however, lies in the fact that with all of the new stars to find and levels incorporated into the game, you feel as if this is your first experience with Mario 64. Enhanced graphics are a plus (If you compare it to the original version, you'll see that the textures and character models on this game are simply astonishing; a true testament to how superior the DS system reigns over the N64 in visuals) and the DS' sound system still has not been showcased better, even 3 and a half years later. (The tantalizing feeling you got the first time you booted up your DS and heard the start up tone bouncing around the room, or the feeling you get when you here the birds in the Castle's Courtyard chirping [and physically looked around because it sounded as if the chirps were all around the room] was priceless). The mini-games mode could actually hold itself as a separate title, or at the time it could have, anyway. The collectibles keep you popping the game into your DS time and time again, reflecting dust off of your dual-screened console. All of these elements and features make Super Mario 64 the best launch title for the system. What weighs the game down? A terrible usage of the touch screen outside of the mini-games and a D-pad control scheme that takes a long while to get use to, and in the end, feels odd and EXTREMELY clunky and unpolished. So, the bottom line is: Besides for the horrible controls, the game was the best launch title for the DS (either this or Rayman DS which you should really check out). If you're looking for a superb 3D DS platformer, Rayman DS and Super Mario 64 DS are where it's at. Expand
  54. MatthewP.
    Nov 22, 2007
    A good game, but the DS's crappy excuse for a d-pad makes the game only worth 5 stars.
  55. JamesR.
    Oct 12, 2007
    I wanted this game as soon as I saw it for the DS and was disappointed. You start off as Yoshi, of all characters, but get Mario right off the bat, so that's ok. What really bugs me is that I would never have noticed how much I needed that analog stick from the N64 to play this game right, and using the stylus just isn't the same. You'll find yourself frustrated at really I wanted this game as soon as I saw it for the DS and was disappointed. You start off as Yoshi, of all characters, but get Mario right off the bat, so that's ok. What really bugs me is that I would never have noticed how much I needed that analog stick from the N64 to play this game right, and using the stylus just isn't the same. You'll find yourself frustrated at really only having one run speed throughout the game. A real shame, but it's all due to the technical limitations of a directional pad. Other than that, this game is great. It's just frustrating to lose so much control. Collapse
  56. CazC.
    Jun 22, 2007
    Absolutely amazing game. You get to play as your favourite character this time instead of just Mario and quite frankly the moves that some of the others can do makes Mario look untalented! New levels added, extra stars, more fun glitches such as being able to swim under the castle and even mega addictive mini games; especially Luigi's card games! This is definately a game worth Absolutely amazing game. You get to play as your favourite character this time instead of just Mario and quite frankly the moves that some of the others can do makes Mario look untalented! New levels added, extra stars, more fun glitches such as being able to swim under the castle and even mega addictive mini games; especially Luigi's card games! This is definately a game worth adding to your collection, 100% guarenteed to enjoy this game even if you don't like other mario games! Expand
  57. IsabelB.
    Apr 16, 2007
    I thought this game was absolutley brilliant. It kept me interested for hours. If you enjoyed the N64 version you will definantly enjoy this with a few extra twists. There a a few complaints that the plot is lame, but hey its Mario! Everybody knows that Bowser kidnapped Princess Peach and Mario has to rescue her. The controls aren't the greatest but the game is so fun that you barely notice.
  58. Boo
    Mar 31, 2007
    A game that went very well from the N64 to the DS. Tonnes of additional content. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the controls. Using the D Pad is terrible cause you can only walk or run...nothing in between. The touch screen virtual joystick is an excellent alternative that works flawlessly. It is just that the learning curve is really really high. It will take you a while to get A game that went very well from the N64 to the DS. Tonnes of additional content. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the controls. Using the D Pad is terrible cause you can only walk or run...nothing in between. The touch screen virtual joystick is an excellent alternative that works flawlessly. It is just that the learning curve is really really high. It will take you a while to get used to it, and you might just give up and use the D Pad, but once you get the hang of it, it works really well. The only bad thing is that there's no physical restraints obviously but like I said it just takes getting used to. Graphics look way better too! Mario isn't cross-eyed anymore. Expand
  59. RecardoB.
    Feb 17, 2007
    Very good port with new levels and characters to play. DS controls can be very frustrating at times, but game play is fun.
  60. SaraC.
    Dec 25, 2006
    I am a Mario Bros fan, I have all the Mario games and love them all; this is one of my favorite games.
    Dec 20, 2006
    This game is so awesome! It gave me so much fun! Some ppl say (This game is for little babeys Im gunnu go play GOD OF WAR!) Heck, this game is fine without blood! I think if you got a DS get this game, and if you do not have a DS get one, And get this game!
  62. bk
    Jun 14, 2006
    Awesome, it takes a while to get used to the controls, but overall- great!
  63. CoreyS.
    May 20, 2006
    It's almost exactly the same as the original. If you still have SM64, this game isn't really worth it.
  64. CameronC.
    Apr 28, 2006
    This game has took a step up from the original Super Mario 64 by adding more character, and stars to collect. I really like this game because you can use Yoshi in what was one of the greatest games of all time. You get the same quality as from the orignal, but with smoother graphic, and it can go anywhere with you. And the minigames added to this original classic are a really fun way to This game has took a step up from the original Super Mario 64 by adding more character, and stars to collect. I really like this game because you can use Yoshi in what was one of the greatest games of all time. You get the same quality as from the orignal, but with smoother graphic, and it can go anywhere with you. And the minigames added to this original classic are a really fun way to pass the time. Expand
  65. JohnnyW.
    Mar 8, 2006
    this game is really fun, but I can't get wario and luigi.
  66. BretS.
    Feb 12, 2006
    A very fun game, basicly the same as the 64 version with more gameplay and 30 more stars to get and what I thought was a lot of fun mini games. I think they should of at least mixed up the storyline a little though.
  67. ScottH.
    Dec 28, 2005
    best mario game so far love it playerbilitys amazing especially because of multiple player options.
  68. IsaacJ.
    Dec 6, 2005
    This game is just totally awesome. Unlike some people, I had no trouble with the controls. Probably because I have never owned a non-handheld gaming system. :( Some of the stars were tough, but still, this game was unbelievably awesome! :)
  69. JohnnyG.
    Oct 17, 2005
    Was fun but i cant get the last star.
  70. MichaelJ.
    Oct 12, 2005
    I want to like this game. I REALLY want to like it. I just cant play it. It looks great, but ican't play it. who came up with the controls needs a shoe where the sun doesn't shine.
  71. SimonS.
    Oct 10, 2005
    Who devised the control system ? I could cry... They've ruined a beautiful game.
  72. StefanZ.
    Oct 1, 2005
    One of the best games ever, ruined by a terrible control system.
  73. PaulC.
    Aug 10, 2005
    A poor reincarnation of a good game. If jumping and exploring wasn't your thing eight years ago, this game won't change your mind. I immediately realised I do not posess the right number of fingers in the right positions to play. I found myself playing with my right hand "upside down" on the controls, as that was the only way I could make sense of them. (Yes, I tried all the A poor reincarnation of a good game. If jumping and exploring wasn't your thing eight years ago, this game won't change your mind. I immediately realised I do not posess the right number of fingers in the right positions to play. I found myself playing with my right hand "upside down" on the controls, as that was the only way I could make sense of them. (Yes, I tried all the control options, key and touchscreen) Looks like a good game, but I'd be on a course for the fastest RSI injury on record if I continued to play it. In the UK, this looked like the only game worth even looking at (if your not a fan of strange blocky jumpy puzzle games or poorly realised driving games) - with this unplayable (to me at least) and only Advance Wars Dual Strike on the horizon , i'm beginning to regret buying th DS. One year from initial release, and not a single game available in the UK that I actually want. PC Expand
  74. DemonicAngel
    Jul 9, 2005
    If this is truly the fabled Super Mario 64, I'm honestly struggling to see what the fuss was about. Graphics and sound are nice, but what damns this game utterly is the controls. Since the DS lacks the N64's analogue stick, Nintendo have opted to give us the option to control Mario's movement either by using the touch screen as a substitute for the analogue stick, or by If this is truly the fabled Super Mario 64, I'm honestly struggling to see what the fuss was about. Graphics and sound are nice, but what damns this game utterly is the controls. Since the DS lacks the N64's analogue stick, Nintendo have opted to give us the option to control Mario's movement either by using the touch screen as a substitute for the analogue stick, or by using the D-pad and a combination of buttons to simulate analogue movement. The problem is, the D-pad just isn't responsive enough, and the touch screen is much too fiddly thanks to the lack of tactile feedback. And a game like this lives or dies by its controls. SM64DS, unfortunately, dies. The saving grace of the game is the many minigames you can unlock over the course of the game, which make full use of the touch screen and are loads of fun. I never played the original SM64, and based on this, I don't think I ever want to. Expand
  75. Yoshi3caca
    May 26, 2005
    I own the original and I love it,but this one blows the first out of the water I really enjoy it.Its new playable charaters make it that much more fun if you enjoyed the first one than this is a must have.
  76. TheMAYUN
    Apr 26, 2005
    First of all, the original SM64 was phenominal, the fact that they were able to improvew that much on it is ridiculous, however I thought beating it was severely easy. Maybe if they would have made more places to go and maybe 100 more stars instead of however many more they put in there so it would be more difficult.
  77. DanielT.
    Apr 11, 2005
    It was a lot better than the N64 one I liked Yoshi the best it was a great game.
  78. MycoyW.
    Mar 29, 2005
    Nice game with very nice touchable minigames!
  79. JL
    Mar 25, 2005
    Played it, done that!, ... but still a cool game. Addition of Yoshi and Wario is a nice twist twist to an old game. I especially like the mini games!!! Miss the analog controller though =(
  80. WilliamK.
    Mar 23, 2005
    This game is amazing. As soon as you turn it on, you'll be sucked in forever. The changes from are N64 version are mostly good, however there is certainly room for improvement in the touch control. Rainbow Ride is not very easy to get around, but then again, I had problems with the original one. It was a little too short for me. by the end of my first weekend, I had 95 stars, and This game is amazing. As soon as you turn it on, you'll be sucked in forever. The changes from are N64 version are mostly good, however there is certainly room for improvement in the touch control. Rainbow Ride is not very easy to get around, but then again, I had problems with the original one. It was a little too short for me. by the end of my first weekend, I had 95 stars, and finished it in less than 4 days. This will punish you severely for errors but when you finally pull it off, you'll feel like a king. A must for the DS, even if you aren't keen on Mario. Expand
  81. JaeC
    Mar 23, 2005
    People might complain about the controls but once you get used to it, it's Mario 64 x10! And you dont even have to carry your bulky N64 and a TV around while you're playing it! They should have made a few more levels though, I mean seriously, at least make the bowser's levels a bit different!
  82. EmersonC.
    Mar 21, 2005
    This game is the first game I ever got for the Nintendo DS. The game has an adventure mode and a mini game mode. In adventure, you can control four characters. Mario, Yoshi, Luigi and Wario. Mario is a balanced character and is great for beginners. Yoshi is considerably weaker than the other characters but his ability to breathe fire and flutter jump makes up for that. Luigi is the This game is the first game I ever got for the Nintendo DS. The game has an adventure mode and a mini game mode. In adventure, you can control four characters. Mario, Yoshi, Luigi and Wario. Mario is a balanced character and is great for beginners. Yoshi is considerably weaker than the other characters but his ability to breathe fire and flutter jump makes up for that. Luigi is the fastest character, and can actually jump high and then spin like a helicopter which slows his falls. Wario is the slowest character but he makes up for that by being the strongest character. Adventure consists of 15 levels, where you collect 7 stars in each and the 100 coin star. There are also 30 secret stars around the castle and can also be in the levels. The mini game part of the game is the most entertaining, because you can get super high scores and is also funny when your friends stuff up while playing them. There are 36 mini games in all and you start out with 8. To get more mini games, you have to collect the 7 rabbits for each character. This is a must have game... Expand
  83. BenB.
    Mar 18, 2005
    Being my first ever ds game...jumbing on walking mushrooms,playing as our moustahced heros, playing as yoshi, collection stars and coins, has never been so fun, all those that dont like this game are losers screw u all those that dont like this game!!! ( i sent a full review of this game to a magazine hopefully ill make it to reader reviews page)
  84. JamesJ.
    Mar 10, 2005
    I think this game is like the original 64 game but better in a way because even thought the graphics arnt outstanding its a change from the usual mario with a hint of suspense. LOVED IT!!!.
  85. DanielH.
    Mar 2, 2005
    This game is sweet the best of the best for mario .....rock on!
  86. AB
    Feb 16, 2005
    Every bit as good as the addicting 64 version - and better. Why is this game called Super Mario 64 DS? It should be called Super Yoshi 64 DS. You play as Yoshi until you collect a hat. When this hat is collected you can transfer into the character that corresponds with the color of the hat. Both the controls and the aforementioned quirk made me feel slightly uncomfortable playing Mario 64Every bit as good as the addicting 64 version - and better. Why is this game called Super Mario 64 DS? It should be called Super Yoshi 64 DS. You play as Yoshi until you collect a hat. When this hat is collected you can transfer into the character that corresponds with the color of the hat. Both the controls and the aforementioned quirk made me feel slightly uncomfortable playing Mario 64 DS. Still, despite those minor issues, this game rocks. Expand
  87. Astix
    Feb 14, 2005
    It`s so dificult to play it without a joystick. The touch screen don´t helps anything. Is better to have a good joystick than a screachable touchscreen.
  88. JonathanH.
    Feb 2, 2005
    I got the game and the ds for christmas and I have to say I'm disappointed, deeply. the controls on mario 64 ds are just annoying, after playing for just a little while I set it down and haven't felt the need to go back to again. The best thing about the ds is that i can at least play gameboy advance games, I recently bought Zelda, The Minish Cap, and love it completely, I got the game and the ds for christmas and I have to say I'm disappointed, deeply. the controls on mario 64 ds are just annoying, after playing for just a little while I set it down and haven't felt the need to go back to again. The best thing about the ds is that i can at least play gameboy advance games, I recently bought Zelda, The Minish Cap, and love it completely, I've spent hours and hours playing it. Expand
  89. DragonKnightofFinalFantasy
    Jan 23, 2005
    This is a great game. The graphics are great for the handheld standards. The game is still great with 30 extra stars, 3 extra characters, and multiplayer. Its a huge game with solid gameplay. Yet there are problems like since the DS has no analog stick and the original did its harder to control Mario/Yoshi/Luigi/Wario which brings me to the big problem the controls are frustrating This is a great game. The graphics are great for the handheld standards. The game is still great with 30 extra stars, 3 extra characters, and multiplayer. Its a huge game with solid gameplay. Yet there are problems like since the DS has no analog stick and the original did its harder to control Mario/Yoshi/Luigi/Wario which brings me to the big problem the controls are frustrating you'll be jumping off cliffs because the controls are too awkward and the camera can get get a little wonky. Yet this is a great game nonethless and the best game for the DS. If you have a Ds this is a must-buy. Expand
  90. INeedACoke
    Jan 15, 2005
    Ok since every one else has adressed all the other issues in their reviews im not going to go over all of them. The one ill do is the conrol... now lots of people say that the controls suck or are disappointing, but omg other than that this game is great port with extras and some new stuff... Now the controls for this game i will say are...average. I cant beleive people who are giving thisOk since every one else has adressed all the other issues in their reviews im not going to go over all of them. The one ill do is the conrol... now lots of people say that the controls suck or are disappointing, but omg other than that this game is great port with extras and some new stuff... Now the controls for this game i will say are...average. I cant beleive people who are giving this a bad score cuz o bad controls... omg deal with it, its not that hard to do. the controls are the best possible considering no analog stick. So with the controls the D-pad is just fine its not going to make you die SO much that you cant play. Expand
  91. Trave
    Jan 15, 2005
    Come on now! This game is totally awesome! Sure, it's a replica of the older version, and I don't really care about the extra 30 stars, but truly, this game is a need! 4 characters to play with, extra mini-games ... BUY IT and see : )
  92. JonD.
    Jan 12, 2005
    Is it a shameless port of an old game? Yes. Does it have minigames and pointless "extras" tacked on in order to appear "new?" Yes. Does it rock anyways? Hells yes. It may be old, and maybe it's been done before... But it's still worth buying. I'm not going to say that this remake add new depth with its multi-character system... it doesn't. It DOES, however, make it Is it a shameless port of an old game? Yes. Does it have minigames and pointless "extras" tacked on in order to appear "new?" Yes. Does it rock anyways? Hells yes. It may be old, and maybe it's been done before... But it's still worth buying. I'm not going to say that this remake add new depth with its multi-character system... it doesn't. It DOES, however, make it easier to "cheat" for stars - an issue that I appreciate. I loved Super Mario 64, and I love the DS version even more. The control scheme takes getting used to, but it's not NEARLY as bad as everyone says. If anything, get this game because you can carry the greatness of Mario's first 3D debut with you wherever you go. If you need another reason, the minigames are a nice perk, and they come in handy when you want to chew up time because your boring PoliSci professor shows up very late to class. Expand
  93. JonK.
    Jan 9, 2005
    I read Maria W.'s review and he is right. But also quite wrong. Calling Nintendo "greedy" is a huge leap. Like most people who play games, those who lose want to win. And they get frusterated that people like Microsoft is buying most of the production companies that brought good Nintendo games (ie. RARE). Thus, Nintendo moved into the handheld area, since nobody has done so. They I read Maria W.'s review and he is right. But also quite wrong. Calling Nintendo "greedy" is a huge leap. Like most people who play games, those who lose want to win. And they get frusterated that people like Microsoft is buying most of the production companies that brought good Nintendo games (ie. RARE). Thus, Nintendo moved into the handheld area, since nobody has done so. They brought 3D handheld!!! So Maria W., just wait for good games like any console. Super Mario 64 is great I find. I haven't played it in many years, so playing it again, AS YOSHI, is good! I forgot most of the maps, stars, etc, so it's like a new (not brand-new, but new) game. And it is! There are new stars! New secrets! Super Mario 64 was the best game for N64 and it's a great one for the DS. But I apologize on Nintendo's behalf, that it's not GTA: SA or Half-life 2. Expand
  94. ChrisH.
    Jan 5, 2005
    OMG This is the best handheld game ive ever played, it rocks!!!
  95. MariaW.
    Jan 4, 2005
    I can't believe i trailed the Nintendo DS hype. Every launch game sucks. Innovative games, yes yes yes... but every DS game is poorly executed. And the best game of the DS is a fricking 8 year ole port, Mario 64. Wich btw is horrible to play with it's other control mechanics. If Nintendo was not greedy for once, they would have included a analog stick. Mario 64 is btw 0.1 out of I can't believe i trailed the Nintendo DS hype. Every launch game sucks. Innovative games, yes yes yes... but every DS game is poorly executed. And the best game of the DS is a fricking 8 year ole port, Mario 64. Wich btw is horrible to play with it's other control mechanics. If Nintendo was not greedy for once, they would have included a analog stick. Mario 64 is btw 0.1 out of 10 innovation. What's next.... A port of the brilliant Ocarina of Time? Forget the ports for christ sake (i already had enough with ports on GBA SP) and work on new things. I am considering selling the DS if i don't see games that make good use of it's "very touted" features. It's a good thing the Gamecube is not a "port filled" gaming machine. Don't believe the DS hype! Expand
  96. B.Mack
    Jan 4, 2005
    Disappointing.
  97. AndyS.
    Dec 30, 2004
    Definitely not a crappy remake. There's nothinig more to say about this rocking game except, there are better games.
  98. SeanD.
    Dec 27, 2004
    The graphics are more refined then the 64 game. More characters is always good. I didn't even care about the analog. I had no problem with it at all. I didn't even notice. Yoshi or luigi is my favorite. The mini-games rule! Multiplayer is so much fun! More stars makes the already long game even longer. It is better then the already awesome original, in so many ways! Why does The graphics are more refined then the 64 game. More characters is always good. I didn't even care about the analog. I had no problem with it at all. I didn't even notice. Yoshi or luigi is my favorite. The mini-games rule! Multiplayer is so much fun! More stars makes the already long game even longer. It is better then the already awesome original, in so many ways! Why does metacritics even post 1up reviews? If it isn't halo 2, 1UP hates it. Expand
  99. AramisG.
    Dec 22, 2004
    A challenging and fun game. You won't miss the analog controls after about 5 minutes. Too many critics have decided to blast this game for the short comings of the DS as if they are one in the same. I wonder if they will continue this trend when rating FPS that come out on the PSP (way to go Sony, put the analog and the directionals on the left).
  100. T.DOG
    Dec 9, 2004
    1up.com has sh*tty reviews - this game is amazing, and clearly he didn't have the DS long enough to get used to the control scheme. After one day it's just as good as a joystick. This game is a killer!

#1 Most Discussed DS Game of 2004
#1 Most Shared DS Game of 2004

1. Within the adventure mode the stylus control is a somewhat weak idea that shifts the learning curve upwards steeply, making a very accessible game a great deal less so. If you stick to digital control - and it's not that precise a game, to be honest - then you'll find Mario 64 DS to be a great title.
  2. Even today it's an absolutely essential gaming experience.
    With a lengthy single player adventure and 3 dozen mini-games to enjoy, Super Mario 64 DS is well worth the cash, despite its minor control issues.