8.0

1. FOJAKV
    Oct 2, 2007
    Great, Great Great!! An old franchise with a new air and tons of control innovations, really a 9.5 score. One of the best adventure / rpg of al times stil captivating and going a step farther..good job Nintendo. Buy It !!
  2. May 29, 2014
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass makes excellent use of the DS touch screen. The gameplay is more or less what you would expect from the series which is definitely a good thing. Some complain about the Temple of the Ocean King getting repetitive but I thought it added something new to the gameplay.
  3. Crazyqazqaz
    Oct 27, 2008
    Zelda games are famous for having incredibly long story lines, mind boggling puzzles, scores of mini-quests and the notorious Water Temples that consume hours of your life and have even been made into a slang (if a bit underused) term for something incredibly difficult. This, though, is a breath of fresh air. The game is lovingly crafted using bright, welcoming colours and a story line Zelda games are famous for having incredibly long story lines, mind boggling puzzles, scores of mini-quests and the notorious Water Temples that consume hours of your life and have even been made into a slang (if a bit underused) term for something incredibly difficult. This, though, is a breath of fresh air. The game is lovingly crafted using bright, welcoming colours and a story line that manages to be genuinely funny while being brilliantly unpredicable. The control scheme is fabulous, I really can't see what people have been complaining about. It isn't overly difficult but not a total breeze either. It will stump you at times, but that is nothing that a little creative thought and a small amount of thinking outside the box won't solve. A brilliant little game, can't praise it enough! Expand
  4. JohnnyK.
    Oct 5, 2007
    Awesome zelda game, sweet graphics and control. Defenitely a must-buy
  5. RoyD.
    Oct 27, 2007
    The best game on the DS. The use of sylus and mic are refresing. Sometimes frustrating. (Ocean's King Temple) Very innovative.
  6. Oct 15, 2011
    gets the title of the best zelda game to compete with mm, rush out, buy it, cause i cant deny the awesomeness, not as good as dq 9, hgss or layton 3, but i was rly harsh, but this is sensational, so go get out and buy this and spirit tracks!!!

96%
  7. Brevitythat'sright
    Oct 4, 2007
    2 hours in, twice I've though the game was broken - but it was just me not thinking laterally enough. I love it. Good, solid adventure. Will keep you entertained throughout.
  8. MattyM.
    Oct 4, 2007
    This game truly shows off the potential of the DS as a platform, and does the Zelda series the justice it deserves at the same time. The touch-screen is used in so many clever ways that it makes you realize just how much the DS has to offer developers and consumers, and how much room there is left for innovation. If you have a DS, you pretty much need this game.
  9. steveTodoroki
    Sep 3, 2007
    I just cleared the game (Japanese import) and it kept me mostly entertained through the 20 odd hours of gameplay. The touch controls work brilliantly and there are some very inventive uses of the DS for puzzles which perplexed and amazed me.;One puzzle actually requires you to close shut the DS and open it again to merge an image on the bottom screen with the top. My only criticism isI just cleared the game (Japanese import) and it kept me mostly entertained through the 20 odd hours of gameplay. The touch controls work brilliantly and there are some very inventive uses of the DS for puzzles which perplexed and amazed me.;One puzzle actually requires you to close shut the DS and open it again to merge an image on the bottom screen with the top. My only criticism is there is a main dungeon which you have to play through repeatedly and it gets a little bit boring the fifth time you do it. However, it`s easily one of the best portable games I`ve ever played and definitely the best game released on the DS so far. Expand
  10. KaleK
    Jan 6, 2010
    You see the difference between a nintendo fan and a ps3 or xbox360 fan, is that the true nintendo fan is able to look past great graphics quality. The other fans of different consoles get focused on them. Some people say graphics dont make a game and some do. But what really makes a game is good game play, controls and a challenge. And I say this is what phantom hour-glass provides. You see the difference between a nintendo fan and a ps3 or xbox360 fan, is that the true nintendo fan is able to look past great graphics quality. The other fans of different consoles get focused on them. Some people say graphics dont make a game and some do. But what really makes a game is good game play, controls and a challenge. And I say this is what phantom hour-glass provides. However it could be better if it had a journal or something to remember what you last did. Expand
  11. HenryL.
    Nov 8, 2007
    Very well implemented use of the touch controls, the timed sections are a minor flaw, but not enough to damper my enjoyment with this fantastic game.
  12. S.K.
    Oct 4, 2007
    The 10 is for this game's innovation. I can't believe Nintendo underhyped yet another instant classic (the other being Metroid Prime 3). JC A.: stop being such a Zelda hater. Obviously, you have never played a Zelda game in your life, because the character you control is called Link, not Zelda. Worship whatever game you like, but don't be unfair. Jared C.: I have seen quite The 10 is for this game's innovation. I can't believe Nintendo underhyped yet another instant classic (the other being Metroid Prime 3). JC A.: stop being such a Zelda hater. Obviously, you have never played a Zelda game in your life, because the character you control is called Link, not Zelda. Worship whatever game you like, but don't be unfair. Jared C.: I have seen quite a few of your comments, and you are simply being a Nintendo hater; don't be. Expand
  13. Ashogo
    Oct 5, 2007
    A brilliant Zelda game which takes full advantage of everything the ds has to offer. It's really amazing to see how the developers have implemented so many new ideas into the game to make all the old stuff feel fresh again. And the graphics are beautiful, so your eyes won't be bleeding as you play through the adventure(unlike some other ds games...)Controls feel tight and A brilliant Zelda game which takes full advantage of everything the ds has to offer. It's really amazing to see how the developers have implemented so many new ideas into the game to make all the old stuff feel fresh again. And the graphics are beautiful, so your eyes won't be bleeding as you play through the adventure(unlike some other ds games...)Controls feel tight and responsive. The story is also surprisingly interesting and driving, and to cap it all off Phantom Hourglass features a simple but extremely addictive battle mode which can be played competitively against a friend or anyone worldwide through wi-fi. My biggest complaint is that the game is over too quickly, but you can't have it all I guess. Expand
  14. RobertP.
    Oct 5, 2007
    One of the best handhelds Zelda games ever. The Stylus controls feel like a breeze and the graphics and sound are superb.
  15. PeterH.
    Oct 7, 2007
    I thought this was a great game, the lack of difficulty is probably a sign of the times, and to be honest suits my concentration span.
  16. KeithR.
    Oct 8, 2007
    Awesome game, had to play till end. One of the first games played for DS that I couldn't put down.
  17. uwepoll
    Aug 15, 2007
    [Rating based on Japanese import] Phantom Hourglass is not only the best handheld Zelda ever, it's the best Zelda game, full stop. It controls perfectly with the stylus and oozes the same undeniable charm and character as The Wind Waker, and it delivers the same wonderful sensation that anything could happen when you set off on your ship to a new island. Fortunately, sailing is[Rating based on Japanese import] Phantom Hourglass is not only the best handheld Zelda ever, it's the best Zelda game, full stop. It controls perfectly with the stylus and oozes the same undeniable charm and character as The Wind Waker, and it delivers the same wonderful sensation that anything could happen when you set off on your ship to a new island. Fortunately, sailing is automatic after plotting your course and the sea is never as endless and empty as was the case in the Wind Waker. The game also feels much better paced than any of its predecessors with barely any dull, longwinded tasks or pointless collectibles. It feels like they pitched everything right and delivered, for once, a fairly short, but nearly perfectly formed Zelda game. Phantom Hourglass is bound to enthrall all with its myriad of imaginative puzzles and battles that utilize the DS better than any game on the system before it. Expand
  18. ChristopherP.
    Jan 5, 2008
    I really loved this game... Link comes back once again in a brand new adventure which mixes mechanics of old with a revolutionary new combat system, and entertaining new characters! Easily accessible, it could very much be your first game in the series and you'd love it just as much.
  19. RT
    Jan 8, 2008
    Fun and innovative, this is one of the best games I've ever played on my DS. Link is cute as a button, but also a multi-talented warrior due to the numerous tools he is given, most of which you will recognize from the earlier games. The game designers thought deeply about every detail of the game from the use of the stylus, to the character actions (Link tapping the earth down with Fun and innovative, this is one of the best games I've ever played on my DS. Link is cute as a button, but also a multi-talented warrior due to the numerous tools he is given, most of which you will recognize from the earlier games. The game designers thought deeply about every detail of the game from the use of the stylus, to the character actions (Link tapping the earth down with his foot after filling a hole is perfect!), to just thinking of something new. I agree with others that the Temple of the Ocean King is a real thorn in the side, and one of the weakest parts of the game. I don't mind returning there over and over again. I do mind spending time WAITING. If this were a console game, it wouldn't be so bad, but with a portable game, you want small segments you can complete "in between." That is, on the train to work, on your lunch break, etc. Perhaps the shortcuts they offered could have been more aggressive, allowing you to pass through an entire floor you had previously passed through by opening a new passageway with a recently acquired tool, or a special token from someone you helped since the last time you'd been there. This trouble aside, the rest of the play can be addictive. The Battle Mode is fun without requiring too much explanation for someone who has never played before. I recommend this game wholeheartedly, even with some of the drawbacks. It will become a favorite! Expand
  20. Skidmarks
    Mar 20, 2008
    Great game. First Zelda I've bothered to finish in a while. Loved the controls. Perhaps a little easy, but fun through-out and I got many hours out of it.
  21. KE
    May 11, 2008
    This is the only Zelda game I have ever played and it was epic. At first try it can be a bit hard though, but overall it's just wonderful.
  22. GiancarloG.
    Aug 24, 2008
    its a great game with very fun puzzles often unexplained though. the fighting the monsters is not the best part of the game. but struggling through the puzzles. I've read some reviews and i agree they should put a save feature in the dungeons and having to back track is annoying. the same dungeon does get a little bit boring. but the funny storyline is entertaining. great game and its a great game with very fun puzzles often unexplained though. the fighting the monsters is not the best part of the game. but struggling through the puzzles. I've read some reviews and i agree they should put a save feature in the dungeons and having to back track is annoying. the same dungeon does get a little bit boring. but the funny storyline is entertaining. great game and I'm looking forward to finishing it. oh yea the salvage arm gets wrecked a lot and we always have to go back and forth to mercay. build on every island for pete's sake!! good job guys we need another zelda DS game. Expand
  23. JoshC
    Sep 30, 2008
    This Zelda was a lot of fun. They did a good job with utilizing the dual screens and using the stylus. The dungeon that you have to revisit multiple times got old and sailing everywhere got really annoying.
  24. JesseR
    Jan 18, 2010
    When Phantom Hourglass broke onto the scene I was a bit skeptic of how great another ocean-roaming Zelda could be, but after playing through it I really enjoyed it. While it can be a bit simple at times and the array of items isn
  25. ChandlerG.
    Nov 10, 2007
    Amazingly addictive and one of the most interactive games ever. No button usage may be strange at first, but then it all starts come into view what Nintendo is succeeding at doing, this is the next generation in gaming. If I had the option of using buttons, my eyes wouldn't be open to Nintendo's vision. And its a damn fine vision at that.
  26. AndrewM.
    Nov 8, 2007
    Reverting back to hand held from the PC with this game is the best thing I've done. Refreshing, quirky, addictive fun...
  27. Proggy
    Oct 2, 2007
    Don´t bother to read de cheap reviews of new gamers (Jc, Jared, Markus / maybe PSP fans ), it´s fun, great and with innovations for the franchise. Buy it and enjoy it. The Best Handheld game to date and of course for the DS...Good Job Nintendo !!!
  28. Xarshale
    Dec 9, 2007
    Great game, and worth every penny, its ONLY flaw is the Temple of the Ocean king which must be repeated. Controls are spot on, the cannon works spot on in the sea, and the sword fighting and item usage is easy, with the screen moving with a ranged weapon. The stuff of win, if you have a DS, GET IT!
  29. JoshHair
    Oct 3, 2007
    *shrugs* there's one reason I stick with professional reviews, and that reason is this: most gamers are morons. There is little reason to not believe this. You'll find that the average user review is a few paragraphs, at best, and generally consists of the most vapid and unspecified language imaginable.

Is it interesting that most users generally disregard comparable games and

Is it interesting that most users generally disregard comparable games and will give a bad score solely based on how they are feeling, or simply because they think the press is over-rating it? There's very little honesty among the average user, which is why they'll never become full-fledged professional or, for that matter, a part of my consideration in a game purchase.
  30. MikeD.
    Oct 3, 2007
    A great game, innovative in so many ways, and worth of the Zelda name.
  31. SeanP.
    Oct 3, 2007
    You are all weird. What were you expecting? A freaking 360 game. Its beautiful, fun and engaging. Sure dungeons may seem a little linear but that is probably because they give you a really good map system. Its awesome fun and very gorgeous. Also if you didn't like it fine but it doesn't deserve those low scores. Most likely it's the same whiny person. The lowest it should You are all weird. What were you expecting? A freaking 360 game. Its beautiful, fun and engaging. Sure dungeons may seem a little linear but that is probably because they give you a really good map system. Its awesome fun and very gorgeous. Also if you didn't like it fine but it doesn't deserve those low scores. Most likely it's the same whiny person. The lowest it should get is like a 7 because you just can't deny quality. Expand
  32. AndrewS.
    Oct 6, 2007
    Great game overflowing with innovative gameplay. From the mic, the puzzles, the variety, and simply the way you control Link, it all flows. While I find the dungeons too short, and the bosses to easy, it's all overshadowed by the greatness of this game. Even the at first seemingly unsubstancial multiplayer grows on you. The only reason this game doesn't get a ten from me is the Great game overflowing with innovative gameplay. From the mic, the puzzles, the variety, and simply the way you control Link, it all flows. While I find the dungeons too short, and the bosses to easy, it's all overshadowed by the greatness of this game. Even the at first seemingly unsubstancial multiplayer grows on you. The only reason this game doesn't get a ten from me is the fact that it's just a tad too casual for my tastes. Other than that this is, without a doubt, the best DS game out at this point. 2 thumbs up! Expand
  33. Phu
    Sep 17, 2007
    The game makes complete use of the DS hardware capabilities and is in itself a full Zelda experience.
  34. V
    Jan 14, 2008
    wow i just have to say some people ae nerds when it comes to playing zelda ex: Markus. This game overall is innovative and fun to play, and give the graphics some credit its DS for Christ sake, and just for the record all Zelda games are the same if u think about it.
  35. SandraB.
    Jan 16, 2008
    A wonderful mix of old and new stuff from the Zelda series. Surpassed my expectations!
  36. Matt
    Jan 18, 2008
    By and large one of the most accessible Zelda games. In what was mostly a dismal year for the DS, Zelda stands out as one of the must-own titles in the DS library.
  37. DillanR.
    May 5, 2008
    The innovation of this game, with its unique stylus dependant controls makes it completely new, and possibly one of the best games on the DS platform right now.
  38. ScottyP
    Jun 29, 2008
    Some games just tickle you don't they? For me Phantom Hourglass was a blast to play and was a breezy joy to waltz through. Great grahics and some fun characterization ( ever met a Transvestite Mermaid in a paddling pool before ? !!). Link remains as endearing as ever and is his personality is heightened by the great graphics and interface. The stylus is superb, tho' you can find Some games just tickle you don't they? For me Phantom Hourglass was a blast to play and was a breezy joy to waltz through. Great grahics and some fun characterization ( ever met a Transvestite Mermaid in a paddling pool before ? !!). Link remains as endearing as ever and is his personality is heightened by the great graphics and interface. The stylus is superb, tho' you can find a quarter of the screen obscured by your hand on too many occasions. It has a mixed bag of mini games that can happily take up your time such as fishing and trawling, however they are far too easy. Other games are simply add ons ( sea based archery anyone?? thought not ). The plot here is basic and childlike and those looking for a deep experience will have to go somewhere else. This isn't the only issue. The game is easy and very short and it doesn't present you with particularly inventive puzzling. Also, many of your items come far too late in the game for you to fully explore. Overall the characterization is the saver here - Linebeck, the dopefiend captain is often on hand to slack off and add some foppish wit to proceedings. As is his ex flame Jolene who's attempts to chase him down reveals a more adult theme for the older gamer. This is a personal score of 91% for me. I was sad to say goodbye when it finished, and this may be due to the relaxed and satisfying ending. Expand
  39. ChrisG
    Aug 26, 2008
    It is really, really good. But it still follows that basic Zelda formula, and forcing you to repeat that same sodding stealth dungeon several times over is undeniably frustrating (though unfortunately where the whole "phantom hourglass" idea comes into play...). That repetition grinds against the innovation and sort of blemishes the game. But still, as I said: it is really, really good.
  40. GeorgeS.
    Aug 29, 2008
    A great game. It's very challenging and the multiplayer is even better that I expected. It's even better if you have wi-fi.
  41. JoshG.
    Oct 11, 2007
    Something new and fun, even if I would've liked to be able to move using the D-pad.
    Oct 11, 2007
    Far and wide the best Adventure game for the DS. A must have.
  43. Dr.Dog
    Nov 25, 2007
    I CANNOT BELIEVE some of the critiscisms people have of this game namely: 1) The sailing is boring 2) The Ocean King's Temple is repetative. In my mind you have to be quite creatively depressing to bring those things to light. First of all, needless sailing around can be skipped with the golden frog warp which you do quite early on. For me, this kind of aimless wandering is I CANNOT BELIEVE some of the critiscisms people have of this game namely: 1) The sailing is boring 2) The Ocean King's Temple is repetative. In my mind you have to be quite creatively depressing to bring those things to light. First of all, needless sailing around can be skipped with the golden frog warp which you do quite early on. For me, this kind of aimless wandering is indicitive of this whole genre. For example, think how much time you waste just holding down the A button when playing RPG/Final Fantasy games to build up your stats. For me, the comparatively short time you have to spend sailing about is NO PROBLEM! Secondly, I actually liked trying to do the Temple and cut my time down and finding secret treasure chests. Thought it was very clever how someone sat down and designed a single dungeon that can only be slowly opened up as you discover new items. Maybe it's just me??? As far as the control mechanism is concered I loved how they stuck to their guns using only the stylus. There's actually one skeleton in the Temple who makes a reference to all those people who moaned about there being no d-pad controls - nice tongue in cheek swipe at you miserable sods!!! This game was OUTSTANDING from start to finish! Thank you to anyone in the development team at Nintendo!!! Expand
  44. KevinR.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Superb visuals, an interesting story, and a brilliant control scheme add up to another great portable entry into the Zelda universe. If only it were a little more difficult.
  45. Andrew
    Dec 25, 2007
    This game is not the game of the century, but it is a fun game. The touch controls take a while to get used to, and can be annoying, but they aren't too bad. You do have to go to one temple many times over the course of the game, and there are invincible enemies, but you eventually get an item that can damage them. Sailing is not as simple as drawing a line to your destination and This game is not the game of the century, but it is a fun game. The touch controls take a while to get used to, and can be annoying, but they aren't too bad. You do have to go to one temple many times over the course of the game, and there are invincible enemies, but you eventually get an item that can damage them. Sailing is not as simple as drawing a line to your destination and waiting. You will be attacked, and can die easily if you don't pay attention. But if you are attentive, you can easily earn rupees from enemies. And after a certain point in the game, you can warp to six different parts of the sea. I'd say more about it, but I'm barely at that point. Most of my info is from guides I read. If you own a DS, you should get this game. It is easily worth $34.99. Expand
  46. AnonymousMC
    Dec 29, 2007
    It was a brillliant game, and i thought that the controls were brilliant however, the trade in price was extremely frustrating as it has no replay value. Very disappionted with teh reuse of the temple of the ocean king, what was the point in the making of the whole game if you repeat the same thing all the time.
  47. AdamO.
    Dec 31, 2007
    After a three years of waiting for a Zelda DS game, I'm happy to report that Phantom Hourglass delivers an excellent experience, despite some awkward flaws. To get the bad parts out of the way, the game is somewhat shorter than what you would expect from this series. Also, whenever you beat a temple, you have to return to a temple on your home island and go through each floor of the After a three years of waiting for a Zelda DS game, I'm happy to report that Phantom Hourglass delivers an excellent experience, despite some awkward flaws. To get the bad parts out of the way, the game is somewhat shorter than what you would expect from this series. Also, whenever you beat a temple, you have to return to a temple on your home island and go through each floor of the temple as you progress throughout the game. This temple definitely has some genius puzzles, but why should we have to repeat parts of it 3 or 4 times. Despite those problems, this is a must-have in any DS library, and for many reasons. The game sets the bar for amazing production value in DS games, with silky smooth 3-D animation and cinematics. While the DS' speakers are less than stellar, the classic music and sound effects sound surprisingly clean and pleasant. But the real highlight of the game is the touch-screen only controls, and it works almost perfectly, only a little unresponsive during intense sword fights. Boss fights are also some of the most innovative I've seen on any system. It's may not be the best the series has to offer, but sets a new standard for DS games. Expand
  48. HouseS.
    Sep 28, 2007
    Wonderful art direction. The touch screen controls work really great. this is the best handheld game since Link's Awakening DX
  49. LinkRocks
    Feb 22, 2008
    Now this is an impressive game! I'm so glad to see yet another Zelda game turn out to be such a masterpiece. This is certainly one of my favorite game in the Zelda franchise and I will tell you exactly why. While the graphics may not be amazing, they are still quite beautiful. Just because they do not look extremely realistic doesn't mean they are bad. The controls are possibly Now this is an impressive game! I'm so glad to see yet another Zelda game turn out to be such a masterpiece. This is certainly one of my favorite game in the Zelda franchise and I will tell you exactly why. While the graphics may not be amazing, they are still quite beautiful. Just because they do not look extremely realistic doesn't mean they are bad. The controls are possibly one of the most incredible things about Phantom Hourglass. The stylus based controls are very, very fun to use. I can easily see why Nintendo Power gave this the handheld Game of the Year award. All DS owners must own this game. This is probably the best game that is and will ever be released on the DS. Expand
  50. AaronM
    Jul 11, 2008
    Not bad at all, but it would have been MUCH better if it didn't make you redo the same dungeon so many times.
  51. PatrickC.l
    Jul 21, 2008
    Quite a good game. It's the first game of this type for me, and I wasn't sure I'd like a story-driven game. If I hadn't bought a strategy guide (walkthrough) to go with it, I might've been stuck and frustrated with this one, but as it is, I had great fun. Lots of interesting challenges and a cohesive storyline. Some complain about having to return to a particular Quite a good game. It's the first game of this type for me, and I wasn't sure I'd like a story-driven game. If I hadn't bought a strategy guide (walkthrough) to go with it, I might've been stuck and frustrated with this one, but as it is, I had great fun. Lots of interesting challenges and a cohesive storyline. Some complain about having to return to a particular temple again and again, but that didn't bother me; I liked the mix of familiarity and newness. Expand
  52. Seananonymous
    Sep 11, 2008
    Game made me a fan of the series. The only word i can use to describe the game is amazing.
  53. IumiV.
    Nov 23, 2007
    The gameplay is so new and different - and still functional. Moving Link at times can be frustrating but Zelda DS really opens so much potential for using touchscreen controls for action games. Plus attacks with the stylus seem so much more lively and interactive than twitches of the thumb. While the plot itself is fairly simple, the game does a good job of character development: Link The gameplay is so new and different - and still functional. Moving Link at times can be frustrating but Zelda DS really opens so much potential for using touchscreen controls for action games. Plus attacks with the stylus seem so much more lively and interactive than twitches of the thumb. While the plot itself is fairly simple, the game does a good job of character development: Link doesn't have a single word of dialogue, yet you have a strong feel for who he is in this game. The tongue-in-cheek Linebeck and the obsessive-for-obsessiveness' sake Jolene are also hilarious characters with depth and humanity. In great literature, plot is rarely the predominant literary technique - character development is most often the clinching factor in great writing. In summary, the advances Phantom Hourglass makes in controls and character development are performed so well that you don't even realize what huge steps and innovations are being made in this quiet, small, yet powerful gaming masterpiece. Expand
  54. Aug 24, 2010
    So imaginative for such a limited handheld! Blowing into the mic, the slate as porting, drawing to open doors and most of all the items you get to use and what you do with them in the dungeons are, again, really imaginative. The game is on the easy side (like for the kids) and you really can do without the side-quests as it doesn't really help you to finish the game so in a sense it isSo imaginative for such a limited handheld! Blowing into the mic, the slate as porting, drawing to open doors and most of all the items you get to use and what you do with them in the dungeons are, again, really imaginative. The game is on the easy side (like for the kids) and you really can do without the side-quests as it doesn't really help you to finish the game so in a sense it is unbalanced, and I HATED the Ocean Temple revisits with a passion (or as much as I could muster), but overall I still give this game a nine+, just because it was done on a really limited DS. Expand
  55. Jun 9, 2011
    Sequel to Windwaker, my personal favorite game ever, Phantom Hourglass is a good game but a sudden step down from the perfected formula Ocarina and Windwaker had. Good points; great controls and is completely comfortable with the DS stylus and still had the humor and charm Windwaker had. Bad points; Way, way, way too easy - pretty much the easiest Zelda game ever, forgettable story and tooSequel to Windwaker, my personal favorite game ever, Phantom Hourglass is a good game but a sudden step down from the perfected formula Ocarina and Windwaker had. Good points; great controls and is completely comfortable with the DS stylus and still had the humor and charm Windwaker had. Bad points; Way, way, way too easy - pretty much the easiest Zelda game ever, forgettable story and too short, even for a handheld. Expand
  56. Oct 4, 2010
    This is a great- first- run for a Zelda DS title! I love that they continued the story from Wind Waker. The gameplay is very unique for a DS title and it's humor is wonderful. The graphics are very impressive and the music is very well done.

The only problem I have with the title is the whole hourglass concept. The later dungeons can get pretty tedious while you race against time to get to the boss.
  57. Oct 22, 2010
    What I have to say, is this game is awesome. The game is exiting and great for entertainment. A problem though, is that this game is really puzzle-ish, and so you might have to find a walk-through.

This one might help: http://faqs.ign.com/articles/843/843071p1.html

There is also a place where you have to go a LOt, and it gets boring after a while.
  58. Jan 28, 2011
    The first Zelda game I' ve ever finished and I feel so great doing it. The audio, characters, story, the puzzles... everything is so well done and they are so perfectly together!!!

I am anxious to play Spirit Tracks and I started playing Twilight Princess because of this great game.
  59. May 9, 2011
    The all-touch interface has pretty much been perfected the first time around with this - my mom has always wanted to play an epic adventure game, but never could handle the 3D movement and graphics of Ocarina of Time. She's used to her iPhone, though, so when I handed her this the touch-only controls worked perfectly for her! She's really excited to play it now. It's fairly easy as far asThe all-touch interface has pretty much been perfected the first time around with this - my mom has always wanted to play an epic adventure game, but never could handle the 3D movement and graphics of Ocarina of Time. She's used to her iPhone, though, so when I handed her this the touch-only controls worked perfectly for her! She's really excited to play it now. It's fairly easy as far as Zeldas go, but it's really enjoyable the whole way through, and being able to draw on your map adds a whole new dimension to the dungeons (not to mention how awesome the dual-screen boss fights are). Yeah, you have to redo one temple a bunch of times, but as you gain new abilities you find new items and learn how to bypass whole sections - it provides a fun sense of your progress in abilities. A great and epic adventure! Expand
  60. May 27, 2011
    I found this game when I was browsing Target for a game I could play with my stylus since my D-Pad was broken. I picked up and bought this, and it was a BLAST to play. Slashing with Link's trusty sword felt smoother then ever with the stylus, and impressive graphics touch this game off nicely.
  61. Dec 5, 2011
    Great game overall, but one of the worst Zelda games (in a good way). The story is very nice, but the lack of side quests, make it a very short game. Zelda games are known for their gameplay, and this game is no exception. The unique controls really show off what the DS can do.
  62. Apr 2, 2012
    This game had big shoes to fill because its a sequel to Wind Waker. This game is not as good as wind waker because of the control interface, but it has decent puzzles and story.
  63. Aug 23, 2012
    Played this game non-stop until I 100% the game. Only things I did not like was the slow sailing and the time it took to get through the phantoms in the Temple of the Ocean King.
  64. Sep 28, 2013
    This game was a continuation of a game I had never played, but I did know the lore of. The story was light, but enough to make me want to keep playing. The characterization was lively and i could actually feel the characters grow on me a bit as I watched them grow. I didn't like being forced to only use the touch screen rather than have the option of being able to use the D-pad. The artThis game was a continuation of a game I had never played, but I did know the lore of. The story was light, but enough to make me want to keep playing. The characterization was lively and i could actually feel the characters grow on me a bit as I watched them grow. I didn't like being forced to only use the touch screen rather than have the option of being able to use the D-pad. The art and music is what is at least expected from the Zelda series. Ultimately, I did have fun with it, but I probably wouldn't replay it because of the more annoying parts, like the Sea King's temple, which forces you to repeat past floors each time.
    Music: 8
    Art: 8
    Story: 7
    Gameplay: 7
  65. Jun 16, 2014
    wen i in da field of africa and i travel 2 da america i wish i can se dah zeldo. wen i travel 2 da america i ask for da zeldo and dey giv me dis. now i vary hapy an i bring dis gam bac 2 africa. it was best gam of mah life oder than rhino hunting. but soon giraffe eat it now i sad
  66. Nov 23, 2014
    Awesome game.... My first Zelda game. What a way to get introduced to the series. Controls for the ds are superb. Easy to get into for ask first timers.
  67. Apr 13, 2014
    Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass is another great entry into the Zelda franchise, if disappointing given its pedigree. Phantom Hourglass continues the Wind Waker storyline, and that along with the characters that this storyline introduces like Tetra and Linebeck make it one of my favorite storylines in the the franchise. Phantom Hourglass draws heavily on Wind Waker as an influence,Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass is another great entry into the Zelda franchise, if disappointing given its pedigree. Phantom Hourglass continues the Wind Waker storyline, and that along with the characters that this storyline introduces like Tetra and Linebeck make it one of my favorite storylines in the the franchise. Phantom Hourglass draws heavily on Wind Waker as an influence, almost to a fault (Much like Twilight Princess did with OOT) The sailing mechanic is back, as well as the art style from wind waker, which looks really good on the DS graphic wise. The sailing is fun and adventurous just like in Wind Waker, but unfortunately the game itself is linear (meaning that you have to do dungeons in a set order, as opposed to WW where you could explore and complete each dungeon in whatever order you wanted.) This is unfortunate because it lessens the sense of exploration brought on by the sailing. The touch controls are also very innovative. While the novelty for touch only controls wears off very quickly and they don't always work 100% correctly for movement, drawing on the map is very fun and helpful. Being able to draw your route on the map while sailing is very cool and helpful because you can just set it and focus on fighting enemies, maybe having to make subtle adjustments once in a while. A lot of the puzzles revolve around marking things on the map and then finding them, which is a cool feature. Using the stylus to draw a path to throw the boomerang is also a cool, and feels more natural than just tapping a button and having it go in one direction. The game also cleverly uses the DS mic to do things like blow dust off of map charts. Upgrading your ship is addictive and a very cool game mechanic, as is dredging for chests on the ocean floor in places marked on your map by finding treasure charts. The combat and dungeons as always in Zelda games are great. The touch controls lend themselves well to combat and the dungeons are well designed, though a bit easy per series standards. This game however has one glaring flaw that may turn a lot of people off. That is the Temple of the Ocean King. For some reason, they found the need to make you return to the same uninteresting, not particularly well designed dungeon after every real dungeon. This is not only incredibly lazy, but also really interrupts the flow of the game. I always tell people that if they can survive this dungeon, you can enjoy the rest of the game. Furthermore, the soundtrack is relatively weak by Zelda standards, though Linebeck's theme is one of my favorites of the series. Unfortunately, while this game is very kid/Zelda starter friendly, the more seasoned Zelda fans may find the dungeons and bosses too easy. Overall, Phantom hourglass is a great addition to the Zelda franchise and, despite its flaws, is a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and i recommend it to any fan of the franchise (unless you're one of those poser/whiny Zelda fans that always compares every new Zelda to their personal favorite, not being able to enjoy every game on their own merit, or just trashes them because its different.) if you're this type of fan, just ignore it, it doesn't deserve your attention anyway. While this game is far from the best the series has seen, it is still a great game in its own right and worthy of a play through. Expand
  68. Mar 16, 2015
    Allein Lineback bereitete mir schon Spaß genug , aber auch die Ideen der Dungeons haben mir gefallen . Nur die schwammige Steuerung und Grafik bereiteten mir manchmal Sorgen , trotzdem ist es gut , aber Spirit Tracks ist besser ;)

1. There are many excellent games on the DS but few masterpieces. This one, though, is a masterpiece. And worth every penny you'll pay for it. [JPN Import]
  2. 20 of the finest gaming hours of the year. [Dec 2007, p.42]
  3. It's a game that should be seen from start to finish, if only to witness some of the finest level and puzzle concoctions ever to grace a Zelda game and, without question, the finest single-player experience to grace the DS. [JPN Import; Sept 2007, p.68] Hourglass drips quality and innovation, no DS owner should be without it. [Dec 2007, p.62]