8.9

1. Dec 28, 2014
    At first I figured that this was another one of those dumb cheapy games. I was wrong! The story was very creative and amazing! The gameplay was quite nice also. Not much replayability though. After you beat it there are just some extras that aren't my taste.
  2. Apr 27, 2014
    Hard to get used to but when you do its awesome! Story is top notch and writing is awesome! Awesome combat system once you get used to are great!!!! 10/10 most own if you own a ds!
    !
  3. Feb 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this game so much I could write a 1000 word essay on it, actually I DID write a 1000 word essay on it.
    Anyways heres my review.

There are very few games in my life in which I have played that can change your perspective so much it gives you new ideas on how to live and to me The World Ends With You just does that. The game was made by a combination of Square Enix (most famous for developing the Final Fantasy series and the Kingdom Hearts series another two of my favourite franchises) and Jupiter most famous for making the two Pokémon Pinball games, the Game Boy Camera and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.
    But getting back to the review let’s start with something; The World Ends With You isn’t your typical RPG. It doesn’t have a medieval setting where there are dragons to fight and princesses to save and some evil overlord that wants to rule the world. It’s unbelievably far from that.

Scrambling for your life in Shibuya:
    The World Ends With You is set in modern day Tokyo, Japan, more specifically the district of Shibuya most famous for its Scramble Crossing and the Statue of Hachiko. In The World Ends With You players take on the role of Neku Sakuraba, a 15 year-old boy with anti-social tendencies who hates people but a turn of events means he wakes up in the Shibuya Scramble remembering nothing but his name. Within minutes he gets a text message saying that he has 60 minutes to reach the 104 Department centre or face erasure. He basically now has to play the “Reapers Game” in which he has to stay alive for seven days, each day getting a different mission in which if he loses he dies. He will also have to make a pact in which he must partner up with someone else in order to survive the Reaper’s game which Neku does not like due to his dislike of people. Throughout the three weeks in which the game takes place Neku will meet a diverse cast of allies and enemies ranging from a tattooed twisted mathematical genius to a typical female anime girl with a dark secret. Its gameplay is amazing.
    The World Ends With You is an outstanding game in my mind for many, many reasons. The story, characters, soundtrack and so many other things fit so well into a game that is so different from the shooting and sports games that the mainstream UK gamers are so used to playing that it might as well be in a different universe. It is one of the few games that has taught me something like trying to enjoy my life and make the most of what I’ve got. Six years on after the game has been released there has been no word on a sequel -The World Ends With You Too?- aside from a teaser image two years ago. The closest that was gotten was the main characters making a cameo in Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance on 3DS but as always one can hope.
  4. Oct 21, 2013
    Twewy is one of a kind for the DS and should not be skipped. The gameplay is unique and refreshing with both stylus action on the lower screen and combos performed with the directional pad on the upper screen simultaneously. The story is exceptionally beautiful and it is very easy to get attached to the characters.
  5. Sep 28, 2013
    This is probably one of the few games I completed a majority of the post-game bonus content in, because it was actually fun to keep exploring this world and push myself in. This game had probably one of, if not the most impressive stories for the DS, and amazing gameplay to back it up. The art style was also perfect for the setting, and really created its own personality. This was one ofThis is probably one of the few games I completed a majority of the post-game bonus content in, because it was actually fun to keep exploring this world and push myself in. This game had probably one of, if not the most impressive stories for the DS, and amazing gameplay to back it up. The art style was also perfect for the setting, and really created its own personality. This was one of the must have games for the DS, period, and there's many reasons to play it over and over again.
    Art: 9
    Music: 9
    Story: 10
    Gameplay 9
  6. Sep 25, 2013
    Its not exaggerating to call it one of the best games on the NDS, The World Ends With You brings a refreshingly new game play experience for the JRPG genre, and one of the games that make full use of the NDS dual screen function. Not simply pure game play, the game brings along a great music collection and a fantastic storyline. While the story was not particularly long, its short,straightIts not exaggerating to call it one of the best games on the NDS, The World Ends With You brings a refreshingly new game play experience for the JRPG genre, and one of the games that make full use of the NDS dual screen function. Not simply pure game play, the game brings along a great music collection and a fantastic storyline. While the story was not particularly long, its short,straight to the point and you would've understood the plot and its details by the end of the game. After the end game, there also reports to collect to as unlockables for more details, and even a special chapter.
    Overall, a good game and challenging experience as its a new type of game.Worth a pick up.
  7. Sep 20, 2013
    One of my favorite games ever! This game has an amazing plot and while some of the characters might seem annoying they become really great once you get to know them. The combat is great and never gets old. An enjoyable feature about the combat is you can choose when to fight instead of happening randomly (except for a few fixed encounters). The pins are really interesting and are enjoyableOne of my favorite games ever! This game has an amazing plot and while some of the characters might seem annoying they become really great once you get to know them. The combat is great and never gets old. An enjoyable feature about the combat is you can choose when to fight instead of happening randomly (except for a few fixed encounters). The pins are really interesting and are enjoyable to collect and fight with. Aside from gameplay the story is amazing and I really hope for a sequel. Expand
  8. May 30, 2013
    This game is amazing the ending shocked me and it was a very beautiful game with good graphics. The story was not only great but it also influenced me to stop being so anti-social. All of the characters were very interesting and realistic (even Shiki and Beat). The soundtrack fit the game perfectly and the combat system was one of the most unique I have seen before in a JRPG. This isThis game is amazing the ending shocked me and it was a very beautiful game with good graphics. The story was not only great but it also influenced me to stop being so anti-social. All of the characters were very interesting and realistic (even Shiki and Beat). The soundtrack fit the game perfectly and the combat system was one of the most unique I have seen before in a JRPG. This is without a doubt the best game for the DS and is one of my favorite games of all time. Expand
  9. Mar 14, 2013
    This was likely my biggest disappointment in the DS, especially given the excellent reviews it got. The World Ends With You is a wannabe RPG that tries to be unique and goes too far. The dialogue is tedious and often meaningless (and there's no way to skip it), the gameplay is repetitive, the screen is incredibly convoluted at all times, and the setting, while showing promise, ends up aThis was likely my biggest disappointment in the DS, especially given the excellent reviews it got. The World Ends With You is a wannabe RPG that tries to be unique and goes too far. The dialogue is tedious and often meaningless (and there's no way to skip it), the gameplay is repetitive, the screen is incredibly convoluted at all times, and the setting, while showing promise, ends up a drag to anyone who doesn't have a particularly big interest in the fashion and habits of Japanese teens.

Admittedly, the storyline is delightfully weird, if not particularly well presented (see the boring dialogue comment above), and is likely the best part of the game. However, the gimmicky gameplay makes it difficult to actually see it through the end.
  10. Feb 2, 2013
    Great and different story and a style of its own. The scenery and music are perfect for this kind of story. Loooots of pins to try out that make the battles more fun and a great quantity of things to do even after beating the game.
  11. Dec 23, 2012
    This game is way too awesome to even review, if you don't own this and Ur RPG fan and u have a Ds, u should should drop everything and just go buy the game
  12. Nov 25, 2012
    Perhaps the best RPG Square has put out since FFVII. The first time I played this game, it was all I did for a week. I played it over a Christmas break, literally non-stop. The sound track is amazing, the story has a fascinating concept, and the game play is new and different, not to mention delightfully challenging. Admittedly it does subscribe to a few of the classic JRPG tropes, but IPerhaps the best RPG Square has put out since FFVII. The first time I played this game, it was all I did for a week. I played it over a Christmas break, literally non-stop. The sound track is amazing, the story has a fascinating concept, and the game play is new and different, not to mention delightfully challenging. Admittedly it does subscribe to a few of the classic JRPG tropes, but I feel as though they are welcome tropes for this game, because they aren't half-assed--it does them well. Expand
  13. Nov 20, 2012
    Easily one of the BEST games, let alone of the DS, the history, completely amazing and original story and character development with a nice gameplay. Definitely a must-have for JRPG fans.
  14. Jun 18, 2012
    A great addition to Square Enix's library
    Original and fresh.
    A fantastic soundtrack, engaging story line and genuinely interesting characters. An intriguing and difficult to master battle system helps provide a solid gaming experience. Whether you're a lover of RPG's or not, this game will quickly enter it's way into your favourites. For those whose nightmares are haunted by stat
    A great addition to Square Enix's library
    Original and fresh.
    Whether you're a lover of RPG's or not, this game will quickly enter it's way into your favourites. For those whose nightmares are haunted by stat screens, text, and a major lack of guns, steer clear.
  15. May 15, 2012
    Really great battle system that took coordination of both hands and screens. Some of the puzzles were good. The trivia quizes you had to pass in order to advance in the game were lame.
  16. Apr 30, 2012
    This game still remains as one of Square's finest stories since Final Fantasy VI. The characters, while admittedly stereotypes, do not feel forced or convoluted as characters. They all have struggles that they have the desire to overcome, and believe it or not, the mounds and mounds of exposition that comes out of these character's mouths, while slightly annoying, only helped to drive theThis game still remains as one of Square's finest stories since Final Fantasy VI. The characters, while admittedly stereotypes, do not feel forced or convoluted as characters. They all have struggles that they have the desire to overcome, and believe it or not, the mounds and mounds of exposition that comes out of these character's mouths, while slightly annoying, only helped to drive the story home. With that being said, though, the combat and customization in this game are also very top-notch. Having the ability to multiply the base attacks of certain-brand pins in this game really adds a dash of power when this game is in the hands of a dedicated player. Long story short, this game was amazing to me. It rose above all expectations and truly delivered a powerful experience straight from the minds of Square Enix. Expand
  17. Mar 29, 2012
    A year ago, I had zero interest in this game. But when it was revealed characters from the game will be appearing in Kingdom Hearts 3D, my curiosity of the gamme grew. So I finally got it, and I loved it! Great story and characters! A must have for anyone who owns a DS!
  18. Mar 20, 2012
    Finished playing TWEWY yesterday. I can safely say that this is the single most overrated game I've ever played. No, it isn't BAD, but for the amount of acclaim it receives, I'd definitely expected much, much more. My main grief lays within the combat itself. You collect pins which provide your main character with special powers, like casting a path of flames or striking your opponent withFinished playing TWEWY yesterday. I can safely say that this is the single most overrated game I've ever played. No, it isn't BAD, but for the amount of acclaim it receives, I'd definitely expected much, much more. My main grief lays within the combat itself. You collect pins which provide your main character with special powers, like casting a path of flames or striking your opponent with a meteor. Your partner takes the top screen and can be either controlled by CPU or using the D-pad. The battles are conducted in real time. Sounds about good, right? Wrong. The matches are not only extremely boring and repetitive, they also take absolutely 0 brain to play. I button mashed my way to victory from the first day to the last boss included, and this was on HARD difficulty. Don't even get me started on Normal and Easy. The enemies (called The Noise) are of little variety. Well over a half of monster list is hogged by the recolours of the same beasts you have fought at least 3000 times before. There is also a little minigame called Tin Pin Slammer which I guess was added in attempt to prevent the player from falling asleep from boredom. Unfortunately, it is so bad it is almost physically painful to play, and worst of all, the games DOES force you to play it at least a few times during the storyline, and trust me - you will hate it. To keep this review from being a mudsling-fest, the gameplay admittedly does have a few shining points. One good part is the importance fashion plays in this game. Each zone of the Shibuya has trends going in it, which determine how powerful the pins are in the battle. Strong brands have their attack doubled, whereas weak brands - halved. There are also tons of fashion items to buy and collect from the in-game designer shops, which work just like your typical RPG armour and provide additional perks to your character. Next, the plot. If you've read the manga "Duds Hunt", well, TWEWY is basically it, expect toned down to keep the 12+ age rating. Square Enix went a bit overboard with the dialog, but since the characters are fairly likeable you will read through them anyway, if only to learn more about their backstory. The A/V is a bit of a mixed bag. Unlike most DS games (hell, most games in general) TWEWY uses full recorded songs with lyrics. While the idea itself is fresh, the hip-hop / j-pop / j-rock beats might not suit everyone's tastes and there is no way to turn them off. The graphics are in 2D and have aged badly since 2008, but I'm not much of a graphics whore so it didn't matter that much. At the end of the day, TWEWY it's an interesting concept ruined by horrible gameplay. Stay away from it if you value gameplay over story (like you should) and for those looking for a good plot, go to your local book store and buy some good literature. Expand
  19. Mar 13, 2012
    This is my favourite JRPG! Great storyline, awesome characters, the gameplay is great and the animations are excellent!
    Square-enix should remake it for the wii u.
  20. Jan 30, 2012
    This DS gem from Square Enix proves that the company is not dead yet. Featuring a unique combat system, plenty of customization and an interesting setting (Shibuya, a popular shopping district in Tokyo), this is not a title to be missed. The story follows the struggle of Neku Sakuraba, an introverted boy who finds himself in a Shibuya where no one seems to notice him, and soon enough heThis DS gem from Square Enix proves that the company is not dead yet. Featuring a unique combat system, plenty of customization and an interesting setting (Shibuya, a popular shopping district in Tokyo), this is not a title to be missed. The story follows the struggle of Neku Sakuraba, an introverted boy who finds himself in a Shibuya where no one seems to notice him, and soon enough he realizes that other people are stuck in the "Underground", leaving only one way out: completing the Reapers' trials. A lot of people complain about Neku's personality at the start of the game, but this is something that actually changes as the plot progresses because he becomes much more likeable. The action takes place on both screens - Neku being at the bottom using "pins" and their powers to defeat the Noise that is sprawled throughout Shibuya, and his companion being at the top using a series of button combos for best damage output. It seems chaotic at first, but the truth is, veterans of the game will tell you to focus less on the action on the top screen because the Auto-fight feature will take care of it to a certain extent, meaning you can focus more on Neku. What I found appealing is that you can change the difficulty level once you progress further into the game, as well as Neku's level (i.e. if Neku were level 20 I could set it to 15 for an extra challenge). The lower your level and the harder the difficulty, the better drops enemies will yield.
    I could go on and on about the features, the things you can do after the campaign, the awesome mini-game... but you'll just have to find out for yourself.
  21. Jan 26, 2012
    Want to play one of the best games for the DS? This game has an easy to learn yet difficult to master control setup and is probably one of the best uses of the Dual Screen setup so far. The game has a very nice soundtrack and awesome atmosphere. One of the most memorable games I have played.
  22. Oct 31, 2011
    Awesome plot, great dialogue, Easy fighting system, great story, all the things you would expect from a game like this. This will stand as the best DS game in my book until, god forbid, proven otherwise.
  23. Oct 29, 2011
    (TL;DR at bottom)

(TL;DR at bottom)

I was very impressed with TWEWY as a whole, and I played the thing to the very end, mainly on hard difficulty, with a -15 level HP reduction. (Jupiter of the Monkey baby!) TWEWY does what most of the other DS games fail to do: Make the most of the dual screen and touch screen, in EVERY situation. You control both the top and the bottom screens simultaneously, leading to interesting battles in which you partner might be on the brink of death, and when his (or her, if you prefer Shiki) HP hits zero, it starts taking yours out too.
    At first, TWEWY can seem a bit weak and univiting, but it opens up to something a little more, at least when you clear the first week. You start out alone, an essentially emo kid named Neku, who has relationship problems. He hates people, and truly believes they only bring him down. Now, we can't have that, can we?
    Certianly not. Before you know it, you are thrown into The Game, upon which you instantly make a partnership with a relatively irritating and helpless girl, who's name is Shiki. You are armed with pins, of which allow you to use certain psychs. These psychs will allow you to defeat the noise, your common enemy. Now, the pin system.
    Cascaded with hundreds of pin, this oh-so-simple thing can get really complex VERY quickly. You have three ways to evolve those pins, some evolution chains go in circles, you have pin rankings, and all the pins have a LOT of things that they can do, from melee attacking, to bombs, to meteor smashing, to creating forcefields, you name it, it's in TWEWY. Did I mention that you start out WITHOUT A MENU.
    No save functions, no noise catolog, no item equipping NO NOTHING.
    You die? The game laughs in your face, then sends you back to the last save point. (until you get the retry button, that is. And the run away option)
    YOU LITERALLY HAVE TO FIGHT TO SURVIVE. (And that's a good thing.)
    Of course, you fight your way through the noise, for seven days straight, before facing your first GM.
    Now, most people have seemed to quit at this point, but that doesn't really make sense. You may whine about the repetitive music, the weakness of your deck, the irritating actions and the somewhat-slow plotline.
    That changes about midway through Week 2. Once you start getting bigger payoffs from the noise, you can get better pins, up your hp reduction meter, snag threads, and even buy more music.
    That''s right, the music you buy affects what plays in the background.
    The "threads" that you buy affect how much extra damage your pins can do.
    What you eat can boost stats, but take longer to get down.
    The list can go on and on. All in all, TWEWY is a fantasic game that I loved, but isn't really for everyone.

TL:DR Version Pros
    -Incredible depth
    -Fantastic battle system
    -Fresh Ideas
    -An actually challenging DS game.
    - MASSIVE postgame value.
    - Survival fight from the beginning.

Cons
    -The first week causes many to drop out.
    - Is relatively hard.
    -Plot speed can get old, but the characters develop in the end.
    -Not all the pins are for everyone.
    -You start out with almost nothing.
    -Survival fight right from the beginning.
    - Kinda gangsta themed.

All in all, great game that might push you away at first, but if you keep on persisting, will reveal the shining, golden center that is TWEWY at its greatest. Surely something to at least add to your collection, if not 100%.
  24. Oct 15, 2011
    what a great game for 20 bucks... ( yeah, im english... oops...i dont use "bucks") pick this up, and then pick up another one and give it to a person to impress them, and, if theyre dubious, show them the ultimate supercalifragalisticexpialidocious power of the ds. flaws? combat: 94%
  25. Oct 4, 2011
    Too many dialogue! Leveling up pins is an uphill battle. I love the importance of fashion in this game though and the background. A lot of people think it is nice once in a while to have a storyline in an urban area like Shibuya instead of some mythical lands etc. Rather than this game, I'd recommend Shin megami tensei devil survivor 1 & 2.
  26. Aug 26, 2011
    The World Ends With You gives you an experience you couldn't possibly have with any other game. The gameplay is very innovative, nothing like anything done before. The Story-Line is full of plot twists that you'll never see coming, and the entire original concept is genius! The music is so B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L that I went and bought the Soundtrack. SOME, of the characters are lovable, e.gThe World Ends With You gives you an experience you couldn't possibly have with any other game. The gameplay is very innovative, nothing like anything done before. The Story-Line is full of plot twists that you'll never see coming, and the entire original concept is genius! The music is so B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L that I went and bought the Soundtrack. SOME, of the characters are lovable, e.g Shiki, and whilst some are a bit meh, they're meant to be, and it makes the experience your own, because you have your own thoughts of the players. Individually - Story-Line - 10 Gameplay - 9 Soundtrack - 10 This is my second favourite DS game only to Okamiden, and I think overall it's a 9.5 game, but since Metacritic don't have .5's, it's a 10. Bring on The World Begins With You Square Enix!!! Expand
  27. Jan 26, 2011
    This very easily became one of best games for the DS, it's innovative gameplay is exhilarating and fast paced, it's story very interesting, and comical twist's here and there are enough to keep you entertained.
  28. Jan 17, 2011
    Absolutely awful. I read all the great reviews, and I tried to give it a chance, but it was so amazingly boring that I had to put it down. The text went on and on - I kept wanting to play the game, but I wasn't interested in what the people were saying. By the time I tried to play the game I was so bored that I didn't care. This is the most overrated game I have ever played. PlayAbsolutely awful. I read all the great reviews, and I tried to give it a chance, but it was so amazingly boring that I had to put it down. The text went on and on - I kept wanting to play the game, but I wasn't interested in what the people were saying. By the time I tried to play the game I was so bored that I didn't care. This is the most overrated game I have ever played. Play Zelda instead. Expand
  29. Nov 4, 2010
    Completely marred by typical Japanese storytelling. You can't hit the skip button fast enough on the insanely bad dialogue and plot. I admit that I am completely biased on this point, but after years of god awful story lines, and hyper-condensed convolution, I can't stomach another minute of button punching just to get back control over the game. Note to game developers: I didn't pick upCompletely marred by typical Japanese storytelling. You can't hit the skip button fast enough on the insanely bad dialogue and plot. I admit that I am completely biased on this point, but after years of god awful story lines, and hyper-condensed convolution, I can't stomach another minute of button punching just to get back control over the game. Note to game developers: I didn't pick up your title to read a crappy novel!!! Expand
  30. Oct 17, 2010
    I am quite suprised at just how many negative reviews this has been given, its 10 too much, quite possibly one of the ost innovative, original, compelling and attractive games you will ever have the sheer pleasure of playing, well worth the current £13 price tag.
  31. Sep 12, 2010
    Square Enix, with its unfortunate tenancy to publish almost anything that comes through the door, has lost my respect as a publisher. That being said, they are one of the few publishers that would take the risk of publishing this game, so rich in things that have not been done before, and for that, I am grateful. Innovative, with an excellent plot, with twists I never saw coming. WorthSquare Enix, with its unfortunate tenancy to publish almost anything that comes through the door, has lost my respect as a publisher. That being said, they are one of the few publishers that would take the risk of publishing this game, so rich in things that have not been done before, and for that, I am grateful. Innovative, with an excellent plot, with twists I never saw coming. Worth playing, and for me, worth a 10/10. Collapse
  32. Sep 1, 2010
    The most important thing i can tell you about this game is that it's a grower. I wouldn't say i hated the game when i first played it but because of the steep difficulty curve, off the wall gameplay and slightly irritating characters i certainly found it hard to get into. It wasn't until i'd been playing it for nearly a week that the gameplay suddenly made sense. All of a suddern i found iThe most important thing i can tell you about this game is that it's a grower. I wouldn't say i hated the game when i first played it but because of the steep difficulty curve, off the wall gameplay and slightly irritating characters i certainly found it hard to get into. It wasn't until i'd been playing it for nearly a week that the gameplay suddenly made sense. All of a suddern i found i could appreciate the finer details of the item management, run through chain battles with ease and was having a jolly good time thank you very much! Even the music and characters seem to get less annoying as the game progresses.
    I'm guessing most of the people who gave this a low score probably gave up after a couple of days. I'm not going to pretend that this is a game that everyone will like but genuine innovation and originality are pretty rare in todays games so THEWY is a must but if you're looking for something different.
  33. IsaacC
    Jan 9, 2010
    Excellent music and stroyline, one of the most innovative battle systems i've seen, even if it can cause some fustration for new players. A completely immersive world that keep you begging for more and one of the few games that has a true incentive to keep playing after the main storyline finnishes.
  34. Yownage
    Nov 13, 2009
    So it will be known on the Internet for all time: This game was sex. The sole reason I still have a DS.
  35. EricL.
    Sep 9, 2009
    This is the Best game I have for my DS, and one of my favorite games all together. The story is full of suprises, and I dig the comic book art style. I also thought it was cool how the dialougue is thick with slang. The music is sounds really good on the DS because this is probably the only handheald game with more than one song that has vocals, and the it is perfectly fitting like in Jet This is the Best game I have for my DS, and one of my favorite games all together. The story is full of suprises, and I dig the comic book art style. I also thought it was cool how the dialougue is thick with slang. The music is sounds really good on the DS because this is probably the only handheald game with more than one song that has vocals, and the it is perfectly fitting like in Jet Set Radio Future. The combat is really good, and varied, too, and I love how I can adjust the difficulty and my level midgame so I could earn rare pins. I also like how there are no random battles, and how they can be strung together for more exp, and how enemies are not overly agressive (though still challenging), allowing the player to look between the top and bottom screens without worrying too hard about the character out of sight being attacked. This game is awesome, that's all there is to it. Expand
  36. Blind
    Jul 24, 2009
    Easily one of the best games on DS. The gameplay is so immersive and unique. It takes great skill and concentration - but only if you want it to. The game is flexibility enough to be as hard or as difficult as you want to be. The DS features are used so well that it feels like the DS was designed for this game rather than the other way around. In particular, dual screen and touch screen Easily one of the best games on DS. The gameplay is so immersive and unique. It takes great skill and concentration - but only if you want it to. The game is flexibility enough to be as hard or as difficult as you want to be. The DS features are used so well that it feels like the DS was designed for this game rather than the other way around. In particular, dual screen and touch screen are perfect. There are very few things I'd change in this game. Expand
  37. MaxCorman
    Apr 14, 2009
    The game isn't perfect, but it is a title that should not be missed. This has quality all over it. It should be noted though that this game is for hardcore RPG fans as it will scare off people that are not fans of the genre due to its difficulty and style. Its style is also one of the most unique I have ever seen. Do not let it keep you from buying it.
  38. Jonathan
    Mar 20, 2009
    Is this the best game of all time? No. Is this an amazing game that deserves a 10? OH YEA! This is a game unlike anything I'd ever played before. A few days before actually purchasing it, I read a lot of reviews that said the same thing. So if you're interested in something that's innovative, this is the game for you!! But be sure to check out all other postings as well. Is this the best game of all time? No. Is this an amazing game that deserves a 10? OH YEA! This is a game unlike anything I'd ever played before. A few days before actually purchasing it, I read a lot of reviews that said the same thing. So if you're interested in something that's innovative, this is the game for you!! But be sure to check out all other postings as well. I'm a gamer, like a challenge, and also am mildly obsessive about completing a game/story. Needless to say, not everyone is like me with respect to games - so keep your eyes open for things in reviews that you think you would dislike about this game before buying it. TONS of features to the game. Here's a small list: Clothing System (which ties into the Popularity System), Pins System (which is sort of like skills), Food System (eat food to gain stats... oh, and your "eating" cool down lasts in real-time. You can only eat so many "bytes" of food each REAL Day), the Sleep System (when loading your saved game, you are given free xp for your skills based upon how long it has been since you last played), Variable Difficulty System (you decide the difficulty... oh, and if your difficulty is higher, then you are rewarded for it with more base and skill xp), Variable Level System (you know how you gain levels in an RPG? well you can scale these back and increase your drop rate for items. For instance: I am lvl 8, but I scale down to lvl 7. Now the game is more difficult for me, but my chances for receiving items is doubled), and more. All of these systems are eventually introduced and explained in full detail with the game's excellent method of providing tutorials (which helped me a lot since I never actually had the manual - bought the game used). **NOTE: There is only ONE save game allowed. Bummer, I know. I wanted my wife to play the game, but that would wind up destroying my save... Life is full of unexpected challenges haha Great story (yes, slow at the start, but it picks up), TONS of extras even post game that explain the unanswered questions in the story. Um... how to best say it... if you like Anime, then you'll already have a particular disposition towards liking this game as well. Steep learning curve (as others have mentioned) since you need to monitor two (yes, two) characters during a fight at the same time. Also, you'll have to get really friendly with your DS's Stylus (if you haven't already)... now, I'm a pro ;) MASSIVE NUMBER OF SKILLS!!! These skills (which are represented as "pins" - like pins that you wear) level up (each skill has its own experience), and sometimes "evolve" into higher-class skills. Did I think this was corny at first? yes... but I don't think so anymore. How's the Music? Wow. Glad you asked. The music is incredible. Even in the DS's semi-lame stereo speakers, all of the words are clear, soft on the ears, and easy to understand. There are other games (like Rune Factory, for instance) that have songs with voice in them also, but many times, these songs sound muffled/lower quality/really yucky. This game (World Ends With You) isn't like that at all. The audio is brilliant!! - Note: The song style/genre isn't my type really. It's sort of a cross between some hip-hop, a bit of rap, and perhaps some mild pop. This isn't a perfect synopsis of it, but even though these songs aren't my style, I didn't mind listening to any of them (they aren't repetitive, so they didn't get on my nerves). Well, I hope this helps you make a more informed decision on your potential purchase! As for me, the buy was well worth it. Expand
  39. LudwigV.
    Mar 18, 2009
    WHen I first read about this game, I was skeptical about the game style. But when I started playing, I couldn't stop!!!! This is one of those games that makes you think "this must be what Nintendo had in mind when designing the touch screen". The story pushes you to play and play and play... to find out what happens next. The music is not the usual enviromental music... you are WHen I first read about this game, I was skeptical about the game style. But when I started playing, I couldn't stop!!!! This is one of those games that makes you think "this must be what Nintendo had in mind when designing the touch screen". The story pushes you to play and play and play... to find out what happens next. The music is not the usual enviromental music... you are listening a Pop/Rock/Hip-Hop CD all the time! You can even start the game, and leave the DS open just to hear the music. Expand
  40. RyanH.
    Dec 20, 2008
    One of the best game I've played in years! I was a little hesitant to picking it up- the screenshots online looked a bit iffy, but, hey, it got great reviews. It was worth every dollar! The day I bought it, I played for eight hours strait- the longest I've ever played a handheld straight. The art is pretty, the music sounds great, and you will find yourself emotionally attached One of the best game I've played in years! I was a little hesitant to picking it up- the screenshots online looked a bit iffy, but, hey, it got great reviews. It was worth every dollar! The day I bought it, I played for eight hours strait- the longest I've ever played a handheld straight. The art is pretty, the music sounds great, and you will find yourself emotionally attached to the characters. This game will not leave you any regrets. Expand
  41. GleanH.
    Dec 9, 2008
    Puzzle solving is non existent, you arent even allowed to solve a puzzle until you talk to someone who tells you how to solve the puzzle, how is that fun? save your money, buy a comic and a pen then draw all over the comic - just as fun!
  42. AdamFix
    Sep 25, 2008
    This game is not only completely original and amazingly innovative, but is one of the few RPGs that even huge nerds shouldn't be ashamed to play. It has style, flair, and the writing is either well done or so ridiculously over the top it's funny (see Sho Miniamoto, AKA Pi-Face). It's just a cool game.
  43. Lev
    Aug 20, 2008
    I was very dissapointed with this game. The gameplay was good, thought a bit repetitive at times, but I guess that could be said to most rpgs. I also liked how they integrated the setting into the gameplay. So no complaints in this section, that part was well made. The presentation of things were also nice, even though it had a bit too much 'cool teenage anime look', it I was very dissapointed with this game. The gameplay was good, thought a bit repetitive at times, but I guess that could be said to most rpgs. I also liked how they integrated the setting into the gameplay. So no complaints in this section, that part was well made. The presentation of things were also nice, even though it had a bit too much 'cool teenage anime look', it wasn't that bothering. What put me off is that the story started out slowly and boring, and near on the end of the first week, it started to get interesting and exicitng, and I enjoyed the second week, because the story revealed many more misteries waiting to be solved. But on the end of said week, every story development was simply cut off, and we were back to the over-dramatic emo angst. I wanted to finish the game, but after all that I simply couldn't. I read some spoilers later, and those didn't change my opinion either. I don't really see that putting most of the typical jrpg story and character elements into a trendy real life enviroment why would change anything. I admit that there are some clichés that never really get boring for me, but I'm also happy about new and fresh things. But it seems twewy just wasn't what I was looking for. Expand
  44. JoeS.
    Aug 4, 2008
    This is an excellent game that puts a great new twist on RPGs. The use of the two screens is a bit tricky to get used to at first, but once you do you'll enjoy it so much more. It keeps your eyes constantly moving and your fingers constantly twitching. There will never be a battle that you could complete in your sleep like most other RPGs where the battles become repetitive menu This is an excellent game that puts a great new twist on RPGs. The use of the two screens is a bit tricky to get used to at first, but once you do you'll enjoy it so much more. It keeps your eyes constantly moving and your fingers constantly twitching. There will never be a battle that you could complete in your sleep like most other RPGs where the battles become repetitive menu clicking. The storyline is also great and will keep you guessing all the way to the end. I highly suggest this game to anyone that enjoys the RPG genre. Expand
  45. PeterF.
    Aug 4, 2008
    One of the most innovative and impressive RPG's in years.
  46. William
    Jul 27, 2008
    This funnest, freshest, and my innovative game I've played for a long time. It seamlessly blends all of the DS features into the gameplay. It is challenging for a game veteran, and yet inviting for a game novice. It has great replay value, and even has fun wireless multi-card play.
  47. AdamF.
    Jul 24, 2008
    despite taking a ton of new ideas at once, TWEWY manages to avert disaster and emerge as one of the coolest and most enjoyable handheld games in ages. The electronica music is also a great idea, and the writing is either very well done or so ridiculously over-the-top that it's funny (see Sho Minimamoto, AKA the Grim Heaper). Some games are fun, but TWEWY is just cool.
  48. StephaneJ.
    Jul 23, 2008
    Brilliant J-RPG! The innovative combat system is the main feature of this gem, and it works superbly. With a lot of items and weapons (well, pins) to collect and try, the incentive to keep playing is very strong. The story is the only small let-down, probably more to the tate of orienta(-minded)l gamers, but that shouldn't stop you from trying this solid title.
  49. AlR
    Jul 5, 2008
    I don't get how can ANYONE call the characters "loveable". Our "hero" is a moron with a never-ending need to behave EMO even before the stupidiest of situations. I recognize that the way on how you battle is certainly out of the box and entertaining once you learn how to handle it (it's learning curve is WAAAAAAAAAAAY long and hard). In fact, it is it's only redeeming I don't get how can ANYONE call the characters "loveable". Our "hero" is a moron with a never-ending need to behave EMO even before the stupidiest of situations. I recognize that the way on how you battle is certainly out of the box and entertaining once you learn how to handle it (it's learning curve is WAAAAAAAAAAAY long and hard). In fact, it is it's only redeeming point. The art sucks (way to much Hip-Hop crap, in my opinion and it's not original at all in the style itself. Pointy hair anyone?) and the music is downright annoying. Specially the one you ARE FORCED TO LISTEN FOR THE MOST PART OF THE GAME, the one with the girl singing which enters in a f*cking endless loop. This is, by no means, the best DS game. Excelent gameplay, nothing more. NOTHING more. Expand
  50. SusanW
    Jun 24, 2008
    I am a hard core final fantasy lover but even I'll admit that TWEWY is a refreshing game. The learning curve isn't as steep as it sounds, the visuals are great, I love the techno soundtrack, and its nice to see a RPG that is neither sci-fi nor ancient/au/extreme fantasy. The ONLY thing I didn't like about the game is the fact that the clothes you buy, which are so important I am a hard core final fantasy lover but even I'll admit that TWEWY is a refreshing game. The learning curve isn't as steep as it sounds, the visuals are great, I love the techno soundtrack, and its nice to see a RPG that is neither sci-fi nor ancient/au/extreme fantasy. The ONLY thing I didn't like about the game is the fact that the clothes you buy, which are so important in the game, don't actually effect the way your character looks. Hope they change that for the sequel. Expand
  51. Ashe
    Jun 18, 2008
    The best game for the DS so far. Wonderful characters, engaging story with twists, and innovate gameplay. A truly refreshing game to play that I cant get enough of. Square Enix has done it again and proves they can make amazing games not tied to their main franchises. A must have for any DS owner.
  52. Willis
    Jun 11, 2008
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE this game. Beat it about a month ago and am STILL playing it. Visually, it kicks butt. The stoyline/talking parts do get a bit long winded, but the game play and addictiveness makes up for it. Screw FFs, this is the winner.
  53. VincentD
    Jun 7, 2008
    Once you get past the minor flaws the game has, The World Ends With You proves to be one of the best games on DS. The quirky and lovable characters, intriguing story, and frantickly-addictive gameplay push this game over the top to become the powerhouse of JRPGs. There is just so much ground-breaking material here. If the bonus missions don't keep you coming back for more, the story will.
  54. Adamkdlkas;fk
    Jun 2, 2008
    To those who give this game a low score and claim it is a "very typical" JRPG (not naming anyone), clearly have not played this game. It's a breath of fresh air from a genre which is all too often criticized and spited for being repetitive and unoriginal. Beautiful.
  55. KevinH.
    May 25, 2008
    I haven't been able get into an RPG since FF8. This sucked me in and kept me on board the entrie ride. The controls can get needlessly confusion, but it doesn't distract from the fun.
  56. AnonymousMC
    May 23, 2008
    This is an amazing game. The story is one of the best and will keep you interested until the end. The gameplay is fun and fresh. The soundtrack is unique (and I thought pretty cool). Sure, some of the pins aren't that great and the game can sometimes have trouble telling your strokes apart, but that's what sub slots are for(you'll understand eventually). This does NOTThis is an amazing game. The story is one of the best and will keep you interested until the end. The gameplay is fun and fresh. The soundtrack is unique (and I thought pretty cool). Sure, some of the pins aren't that great and the game can sometimes have trouble telling your strokes apart, but that's what sub slots are for(you'll understand eventually). This does NOT detract from the experience. You will not find another game like this anywhere. Trust me, it's good. Expand
  57. GabrielaA.
    May 23, 2008
    Awesome game!
  58. AndrewF.
    May 22, 2008
    A very nice change in for games on the DS. Good music, well done battle system and interesting design. The Sound track is a nice mix of Hip-Hop, J-Pop and Techno. The battle music switches up a lot so you do not have to worry about over played music. Every time you load up the main map the music changes as well. The character design is nice, very similar to Kingdom Hearts, but thats not A very nice change in for games on the DS. Good music, well done battle system and interesting design. The Sound track is a nice mix of Hip-Hop, J-Pop and Techno. The battle music switches up a lot so you do not have to worry about over played music. Every time you load up the main map the music changes as well. The character design is nice, very similar to Kingdom Hearts, but thats not odd since its some of the same team. Your enemies "The Noise" are very interestingly doe, they're a mix of animal and Tribal Tattoos. The battle system is brilliant. You use the stylus for a varied amount of skills called "Pins" each one has a specific action command you pull off with your stylus. Slashing, poking, tapping, pulling and scratching are many of the different stylus movements you use to pull off your stylish moves. The story starts off like most recent J-RPGs "Angsty teen leads an angsty life until someone helps him and his angsty ways and open up to the world," it changes throughout the game as you dive deeper into the story. It is heavily text based like most RPGs on the DS since the little cards can't hold a lot of info. You may find yourself just wanting to skip through a lot of the dialog but you can't so might as well sit back and read it all. Overall its a fun little DS game and a good new game from SquareEnix, I'm hoping we'll see many more game in this series and it's a must own for any SquareEnix fan or action RPG fan. Expand
  59. Justin
    May 20, 2008
    Another very typical Japanese RPG, and yes, that's a bad thing. Japanese game makers have a fetish for convoluted stories, and characters that never shut up. Here is another prime example. You can't mash the buttons, or move the stylus quick enough to make them stop talking, and everything that comes out of their mouths is so trite, so superfluously annoying that it ruins the Another very typical Japanese RPG, and yes, that's a bad thing. Japanese game makers have a fetish for convoluted stories, and characters that never shut up. Here is another prime example. You can't mash the buttons, or move the stylus quick enough to make them stop talking, and everything that comes out of their mouths is so trite, so superfluously annoying that it ruins the experience. Note to game makers, shut up, your story lines always blow. Expand
  60. KyleS
    May 19, 2008
    This is one of the great games out for the ds right now. A interesting plot, great use of the DS touch screen, and long enough to play on a road trip, but fun enough to play for short bursts. a definite Buy, for any DS owner.
  61. BenjaminP.
    May 18, 2008
    One of very few games on the DS that feels like a full experience, rather than something dumbed down for the handheld. Stunning visuals, audio, scripting, and sheer creativity of design. Not to be missed.
  62. SeanR.
    May 11, 2008
    Fantastic stuff-- very intuitive stylus controls, and a nice nod to lefty gamers or off-hand stylus users in that the ABXY buttons act as an emulated d-pad.
  63. TomB
    May 11, 2008
    This in my opinion is the best game on DS. Its got a great soundtrack, great style, great gameplay, great storyline and lasts for ages. Can't wait for a sequel!
  64. toby
    Apr 30, 2008
    At least it's a change from the cliche fantasy stuff. But still, the overdose of text can get really tiring, and I think Japanese companies like Square and Nintendo need to realize nobody really cares about text that isn't the least bit entertaining.
  65. MichaelS.
    Apr 29, 2008
    The freshest idea to come out of Square Enix in a long time. Easily the best ARPG for any portable system. The story and characters may seem standard angsty teens at first, but develop over the course of the game. The combat can take some time to get used to, but lots of customization options and the option to set your partner to automatic make for a smooth transition. Without a doubt, The freshest idea to come out of Square Enix in a long time. Easily the best ARPG for any portable system. The story and characters may seem standard angsty teens at first, but develop over the course of the game. The combat can take some time to get used to, but lots of customization options and the option to set your partner to automatic make for a smooth transition. Without a doubt, the music is a high point as well. An early contender for Portable game of the year, as it will likely be overshadowed by the GTAs and Metal Gear Solids of the world. A definite must buy for any DS owner; even with the Square Enix tax, the game is worth every dollar. The game runs for around 15-20 hours for the main quest, and there is lots to do after beating the game to keep more than just the 100% completionists interested. Expand
  66. NekuS.
    Apr 25, 2008
    Pretty much the best DS game out there. Tons of features, including a risk-and-reward battle system with tons of attacks to use, a compelling story, amazing graphics and a beautiful soundtrack to go with it. What more could you want?
  67. ChrisR.
    Apr 24, 2008
    This is exactly what was needed to push RPGs to the next level. Fresh setting, a plethora of new ideas on top of new new, yet strange and maybe too challenging, combat system. Please bring that franchise to the stationary consoles, squenix!
  68. DanA.
    Apr 23, 2008
    The World Ends With You can be summed up with a few words we've been hearing for the past decade or two when referring to Square-Enix. They've done it again.
  69. kingsqeerel
    Apr 23, 2008
    One of the best RPGs I've ever played, everything about is unique, I am totally immersed in the game.
  70. IbrahimI.
    Apr 23, 2008
    This game is ridiculously addicting with an awesome storyline. The gameplay is complex but fun and unique from what I've seen. There's a lot of text but personally I like it. The customization aspect is amazing, there's so many stores and things and everything seems to level up ;). I just can't stop playing it, it's that good. Oh, and the graphics are very nicely This game is ridiculously addicting with an awesome storyline. The gameplay is complex but fun and unique from what I've seen. There's a lot of text but personally I like it. The customization aspect is amazing, there's so many stores and things and everything seems to level up ;). I just can't stop playing it, it's that good. Oh, and the graphics are very nicely stylized and the music is great too. Expand
    Apr 22, 2008
    The game is amazing, with catchy music, and an intriguing storyline with several plot twists. I'd consider this the best RPG on the DS to date. The unique gameplay mechanics are also amazing.
  72. AndrewJedlowski
    Apr 22, 2008
    JET GRIND RADIO RIPOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Well Lets see the town is called shibuya like how In JGR its called Shibuya-Cho featuring rip characters(never seen that before) hip music and quirky gameplay this might have well been a collaboration with sega to do a JGR RPG. The sadJET GRIND RADIO RIPOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Well Lets see the town is called shibuya like how In JGR its called Shibuya-Cho featuring rip characters(never seen that before) hip music and quirky gameplay this might have well been a collaboration with sega to do a JGR RPG. The sad thing is that noone will notice and think Square is brilliant. Expand
  73. DoomDeadly
    Apr 21, 2008
    Absolutely excellent game, from the varied game play, to the amazing story and music. If you own a DS and have a bit of time to invest, there's no reason not to pick this up.
  74. LukeP
    Apr 21, 2008
    One of the best games i've played on the DS. A great visual style, fun combat, highly customisable characters, a pretty decent story for a DS game and its pretty damn compelling. At one ppoint i found myself playing the game for 3 hours non stop without really realising it, great for the game, not so good for my appetite. while very good it does have its share of crap; the most One of the best games i've played on the DS. A great visual style, fun combat, highly customisable characters, a pretty decent story for a DS game and its pretty damn compelling. At one ppoint i found myself playing the game for 3 hours non stop without really realising it, great for the game, not so good for my appetite. while very good it does have its share of crap; the most unlikeable lead character ever to grace a video game (i honestly cant stand him), a very slow start, it takes a long time before you feel as though you've accomplished alot and at times the game just seems to hold your hand guiding you through everything as if its scared that you'd cock it all up if it didn't help. but overall, a great game that everyone with a DS and patience should try. Expand
  75. TomKirby-Green
    Apr 19, 2008
    Haven't enjoyed an RPG (or a DS game for that matter) as much as this in a *long* time. Surely a platform classic.
  76. Ryan
    Apr 18, 2008
    Highly original game and brilliantly executed.
  77. KayinM.
    Apr 17, 2008
    A truly unexpected experience, this action RPG gets perfect marks for using the various NDS controls to their full extent. With a unique (from a western gamer point of view) and interesting real world setting, fitting music, and a solid visual style to pull it all together, the World Ends With You should be an easy contender for best new franchise RPG regardless of platform.
  78. Joh'nzJ.
    Apr 17, 2008
    Cool control system.
  79. Sep 12, 2010

The briskly moving plot and the unique battle system adds up yet another winner for Square Enix. [May 2008, p.82]
  2. As far as handheld RPGs go, it doesn’t get much more original than this.
  3. Thw World Ends with You may not have a big name like "Final Fantasy" or "Kingdom Hearts" attached to it, but it certainly deserves the same kind of success. [May 2008, p.87]