Yoshi's Island DS DS

7.5

1. Apr 13, 2015
    While this game may have given some people the nostalgic feeling of the original Yoshi's Island game, this game leaves a sour taste in my mouth. While the first game was fun and appealing, the DS version left me bored and unsatisfied. Instead of having to deal with one annoying baby crying, now we have to endure several, although each baby having it's each different ability is a nice touchWhile this game may have given some people the nostalgic feeling of the original Yoshi's Island game, this game leaves a sour taste in my mouth. While the first game was fun and appealing, the DS version left me bored and unsatisfied. Instead of having to deal with one annoying baby crying, now we have to endure several, although each baby having it's each different ability is a nice touch of originality. The rest of the game, however, is a step in the wrong direction for the Yoshi's Island line. Expand
  2. MarcGingras
    Mar 11, 2008
    One of my biggest deceptions on DS so far. It feels the same as Yoshi's Island on SNES, but behind the cute graphics and music hide some extremely lacking level design. Especially the last levels, they're not hard or challenging, they're simply frustrating. I remember dying over and over again in the same levels with more than 70 lives in stock. The whole baby-switchingOne of my biggest deceptions on DS so far. It feels the same as Yoshi's Island on SNES, but behind the cute graphics and music hide some extremely lacking level design. Especially the last levels, they're not hard or challenging, they're simply frustrating. I remember dying over and over again in the same levels with more than 70 lives in stock. The whole baby-switching aspect is interesting at first, but after a few minutes it feels gimmicky and it doesnt fit that well in the game. I don't recommend it. Expand

#13 Most Discussed DS Game of 2006
#8 Most Shared DS Game of 2006

1. Twists, such as the ability to play with different attributes thanks to Baby Mario, Baby Princess Peach, Baby DK, and more add variety to an extremely fun adventure. Through 40-plus levels, vibrant graphics and lively environments make things feel fresh and unique.
  2. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    It's an adequate platformer, yes--with solid controls and great first-half pacing--but I'd never choose this over the sublime original. [Dec. 2006, p.150
    Fun and light-hearted play. A tongue of praise to Yoshi's Island 2 for not only remaining true to the classical style but also adding new elements to keep things fresh.