Blackthorne Game Boy Advance
7.8

1. Nov 4, 2013
    This game kinda plays like Prince of Persia, but doing running jumps is hard because the controls aren't that responsive.

I got frustrated and stopped playing this game around Level 12 because you needed to do 3-4 Perfect Running Jumps at a late part of the level and any mistake would make you die, making you do a long level all over again.
    Since I was not at the end of the game and I
    knew levels would get harder, I stopped playing because it was too bothersome to have to redo the entire level because you misjumped one time.

Also combat is kinda horrible and annoying, you kinda have to tank shots to get double hits on enemies at late game and you can't really outsmart the enemies if there are 2 of them on the same row. Overall I didn't like the combat at all.
  2. AdamM.
    Dec 4, 2003
    I remember this game from when it released on the old nintendo. It was the best sidescrolling action game I played that year and now playing it again on the GBA I'm reminded why. Sure it's no Prince of Persia but then again it wasn't trying to be no what the reviewers think. I love the little drone things and the way you have to think your past each screen as much as you have to fight. A good effort from what was then a rookie studio and still a good game. Collapse

1. There aren't many thinking-man's action games like this on the GBA. [Dec 2003, p.187]
  2. While comparing BlackThorne to the classic "Prince of Persia," it's obvious that it isn't as good as the revolutionary title. Nevertheless, that doesn't mean it isn't an overall good game.
    As fun and challenging as the game is, Blackthorne is a finite design that's much shorter than Blizzard's previous two games. Once players make it through the adventure, there's nothing more waiting for them.