• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Sep 16, 2002
8.2

1. Apr 3, 2013
    Very unoriginal, easy and remarkably boring. The worst entry of the GBA era.
    Get Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow instead, they are a lot better than this pile of junk.
  2. May 23, 2011
    Harmony of Dissonance is a good game, but compared to Aria of Sorrow it easily falls down in my opinion. The strongest points perhaps are the really atmospheric feel, a pretty good and intense story, and very easy control of the character. The game also introduces a system of collecting elemental spellbooks, which combined with the usual subweapons (cross, holy water, etc) give an entirelyHarmony of Dissonance is a good game, but compared to Aria of Sorrow it easily falls down in my opinion. The strongest points perhaps are the really atmospheric feel, a pretty good and intense story, and very easy control of the character. The game also introduces a system of collecting elemental spellbooks, which combined with the usual subweapons (cross, holy water, etc) give an entirely different special attack, depending on what book is equipped, giving a diverse gameplay. Similar system is later used in Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. Also the good ol' flexi-whip from Super Castlevania IV is back. You can hold the attack button and to move the whip in all the directions as opposed to only attacking forwards. The story as I mentioned is fantastic, one of the best in a Castlevania game, because it is mysterious and gets the player gripped. The atmospheric feel of the game certainly adds to that. Now where the game falls down. There are some minor issues, which can be annoying at times but aren't so bad. Those are the low difficulty, a strange glowing aura around the playable character, and also being forced to backtrack through entire stages at some points of the game. However what I disliked the most about Harmony of Dissonance was its soundtrack. Castlevania games usually have fantastic soundtracks, but I felt that this one was a real disappointment. I hardly heard any music in it, it was just a low quality noise, unfortunately. In my opinion slightly better than Circle of the Moon, but is nowhere near as good as Aria of Sorrow. Expand
  3. ShayT.
    Apr 14, 2007
    Don't listen to the critics: this game has a great, well designed castle and a whole lot of fun hours to spend. It's not too easy (play Pokemon if you want something maddingly easy) and it's got so much fun packed into it I dare say it is a must own for a GBA owners.
  4. SimonB.
    May 15, 2006
    The weak link in the GBA trilogy. If you're a big fan, then pick it up, but if you're a casual gamer I'd recommend AoS or CotM. What is most annoying is the convoluted level structure, ease of every enemy in the game (bosses are jokes) and the quality of sound is noticeably worse than in the other titles. The music reminds me a lot of Shining Force on the Genesis, but not The weak link in the GBA trilogy. If you're a big fan, then pick it up, but if you're a casual gamer I'd recommend AoS or CotM. What is most annoying is the convoluted level structure, ease of every enemy in the game (bosses are jokes) and the quality of sound is noticeably worse than in the other titles. The music reminds me a lot of Shining Force on the Genesis, but not as good. It's still a good game to kill some time with, just don't expect the same good quality of CotM or AoS. Expand
  5. JeffS.
    Jan 17, 2005
    Simply a great game. I've been a die hard fan of the Castlevania series since I was a child. It all started for me, when I played Simons Quest. I fell in love from that point on. I'm thankful to own all the GBA Castlevanias. I look forward to Aria of Sorrow 2 for DS in Fall 2005. As I'm sure many other fans do as well!
  6. RaphaelLouisR.
    Jul 25, 2003
    very nice game and good graphics great gameplay and it really does have some cool magic but its not that many.Castlevania:Circle of the Moon was a little better.
  7. TakN.
    May 12, 2003
    I think this game is worth to buy because I dont like to play castlevania game, but when I played it I can't just quit playing this awesome game.
  8. FranF.
    Jan 9, 2003
    It's like Symphony Of The Night? Well, SotN is to this day the best game ever! Does that answer your question?
  9. GaryS.
    Oct 18, 2002
    While the game and play are as Classicly fresh as ever, the sound and the level of difficulty drag down what is otherwise an awesome game.
  10. Apr 3, 2013
    Very unoriginal, easy and remarkably boring. The worst entry of the GBA era.

1. Valid proof that "coming up short" can still translate into "a hell of a lot of fun."
    Does a good job of capturing the basic flavor of "SotN's" gameplay. Indeed, almost all of the special moves you can obtain have been lifted directly from Symphony.
  3. Thankfully, the whole thing is also infinitely better-lit than previous outing Circle of the Moon, which means that playing it without industrial-strength lighting overhead is now an option. [NGC]