Doom

Game Boy Advance
8.4

1. Apr 15, 2018
    Doom is one of the best FPS games from the nineties. Now, this game helps nostalgia from the childhood, when we played it on Windows 98 or XP. This game has good gameplay, maps and story. Sadly disappointed me final boss fight. The Spidermaster-mind not too strong and you kill him for two wounds from the BFG9000 while Cyberdemon is stronger than spider and has more health. But otherwiseDoom is one of the best FPS games from the nineties. Now, this game helps nostalgia from the childhood, when we played it on Windows 98 or XP. This game has good gameplay, maps and story. Sadly disappointed me final boss fight. The Spidermaster-mind not too strong and you kill him for two wounds from the BFG9000 while Cyberdemon is stronger than spider and has more health. But otherwise the game is great and still has active and good community. Expand
  2. Jun 25, 2017
    It's certainly not pretty, especially when you compare it the effort that followed i.e Doom 2 from the likes of Torus Games.

This isn't Doom, at least not fully, but it's also not a miserable package either. It made it to the platform and it's a doomslaying good time, there are even 8 exclusive deathmatch maps. Visually it's a turgent facsimile but you can see the likeness nonetheless - an admirable feat but.. bosses are missing, textures are replaced numerously, original level design is compromised and the music is pretty rough.

If you still see value in a recommendation, and if you are looking for Doom then unless you're aiming to reap a physical collection I'd warn you that whilst this port was remarkable for it's time it's far surpassed by the port of it's sequel Doom 2.
  3. Mar 7, 2017
    Played this game recently. Miss all that nostalgia of my childhood days. Somehow I was much happier with everything.

Actuallly I had played the PC version of this game. Needless to say this game is the most fun with the NoClipping cheat. Also, I used the "Doomsday" engine for playing this which allows you to use the mouse for "free look". During those old days I used to prefer the "only keyboard" controls.
  4. Aug 5, 2016
    Doom makes it's way to the GBA with almost no changes. The only really noticeable changes are that Nintendo did do a bit of censorship with this port to help keep more in line with their family-friendly image. For example, blood is green instead of red.

However none of that really affects what makes Doom so great. It's the remarkably well-aged gameplay that makes it such a treat, and helped give the game it's legendary status. I will admit that the graphic violence (for the time) is part of what drew so much attention to the game in the first place. I'm just saying the light bits of censorship don't detract much from the overall experience. They just mean that this GBA port isn't the definitive way to experience Doom.

What helps give this version some credit though is that it is in fact a portable version of Doom. You can what is literally one of the best FPS games with you wherever you go. The gameplay transfers over very well to the handheld console. The controls and level design are on point. The only issues with the gameplay stem from the game's age. It occasionally gets to spam happy with it's enemies at times.

Overall though, Doom is still a phenomenal game. It's one of the best games of all time for a reason, FPS or not. While the completely uncensored version are the best way to experience Doom for the first time, this GBA port still has a lot of value considering that it allows you to take the game wherever you go. If you are looking for an excellent port of this legendary game and can put up with a bit of censorship, then give this GBA port a go. The game itself holds up very well after all these years, and it's nice to have the option to pick it up and play it anywhere.

8.5/10
  5. Jul 22, 2011
    A Very Good port of the game of my childhood. (Except with the blood being green goo... -1 point for that) If you want to blast to demons back to hell on the go. Go buy this port today.
  6. RockmanSnake
    Jul 21, 2004
    For a GBA game, the graphics are awesome! This game is a port of the original smash-hit PC version of DooM released about 1993. It's a fun shoot-em-up, with Hell-spawn demons to kill and maze-like levels to go through. Several aspects of the violence were cut out (why!?), but it retains the great gameplay of the predecessor. Buy this game! It's very rare now, so don't waste For a GBA game, the graphics are awesome! This game is a port of the original smash-hit PC version of DooM released about 1993. It's a fun shoot-em-up, with Hell-spawn demons to kill and maze-like levels to go through. Several aspects of the violence were cut out (why!?), but it retains the great gameplay of the predecessor. Buy this game! It's very rare now, so don't waste your chance if you ever find it! Expand
  7. SeriousDuke(GBAFPSexpert)
    Jul 7, 2004
    Doom is the seventh best FPS for the GBA and the second released for the system. Doom was first released for the PC back in 1993. The game was awesome. Eight years later the game is now portable. And yes, it is still awesome. Everything from the original is here except for some minor elements that don't detract from anything. Doom is back, back with a vengeance!
  8. ChrisC.
    Dec 4, 2003
    This game is the best made for the gba. Although it dosent have the spider guy thet was the last boss, nor does it have specrtas, this game is a true blast. Buckle up, the games graphics, overall control, and weapons will sure to be a great gift. It will also obsess you, it sure did me!
    Aug 5, 2003
    Doom on the PC rocked! Now it has been ported to the GBA. Some stuff has changed, like the music isn't in the right levels, not to mention the the blood is GREEN, but it is still a great shoot-everything-in-sight game that you will love! It even has multiplayer modes! Think about it--portable Doom is now! One of the best FPS's ever to hit GBA!

#7 Most Discussed Game Boy Advance Game of 2001
#4 Most Shared Game Boy Advance Game of 2001

1. All in all Doom is a fantastic port to the GBA, some things are missing, some things are toned down, but that same raw gameplay that changed the way we thought eight years ago has come across wonderfully.
  2. For either a first time fragger or a battle hardened veteran, Doom is simply superb. [GamesMaster]
  3. Players who have already exhausted the experience have no reason to buy it again unless they are extremely eager to see it flourish on a handheld.