9.1

1. Aug 2, 2013
    Hands down my favorite game for the Game Boy Advance, and definitely in my top five in the Final Fantasy series. The game play is addictive, the job system makes you feel like you're actually getting some where with your characters, and the variety of races adds a nice spin to the game. I've lost track of the amount of times I've laid awake in bed, repeating "just one more battle and thenHands down my favorite game for the Game Boy Advance, and definitely in my top five in the Final Fantasy series. The game play is addictive, the job system makes you feel like you're actually getting some where with your characters, and the variety of races adds a nice spin to the game. I've lost track of the amount of times I've laid awake in bed, repeating "just one more battle and then I'll sleep.. wait that was over too soon, just one more.." Hours of great game play and a very, very large amount of replay value. I will cherish this game for years to come. Expand
  2. AlexD.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Too Late.... Eyes Droopy.... Ah Yes I remember those times well. Up All night guiding Ramza and his random cohorts along their adventures. I Just hope they find a way to place him in this one.
  3. AndréF.
    May 4, 2006
    al its good to play and its a good game i like verely this game but i me have a problem and now i trying have other.
  4. B.Banks
    Oct 20, 2003
    Wow!!! This is more addictive then (gasp...) pokemon! After you get the gist of it it's pure rpg bliss.
  5. ZachD.
    Sep 10, 2003
    This is the best game ever made.
  6. Bob
    Sep 8, 2003
    Awsome!!!!
  7. Paradox
    Oct 8, 2003
    This game is not only great but addicting it will keep you playing for hours straight6 with out even realizeing how long you have acctually been playing so it's worth the 30 bucks just go buy it.
  8. PulzarU.
    Aug 21, 2003
    Its just as great as de PSone games.
  9. DiN.
    Aug 30, 2003
    I was lucky enough to have an uncle in the industry who got me an early build of FFT a while ago and I haven't put it down yet. I love RPGs and the isometric ones are my favorite type. FFT is King!
  10. TheRob
    Sep 10, 2003
    When will they utilize px2 to make the ultimate FFT game? Im talking about FFT on a grand scale with as many as 50 characters in a battle!
  11. TonyR.
    Sep 10, 2003
    I absolutely Love it!! It just barely passes Tactics Ogre. But only because it's a FF game. LIVE ON FF!!
  12. IgorK.
    Sep 10, 2003
    This game is just KUPO ! :)
  13. DeathReaper
    Sep 10, 2003
    I find the english version extremly fun i cant sop playing it its like the greatest game ever created on gba i think that they should make more final fantasy tactics for gba
  14. Manaknight
    This game is really cool.....kind of like my Panda Bear Militia....sorry
  15. LennieC.
    HALLELUYA!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. ChrisM.
    Sep 20, 2003
    At first, I felt this wasn't as good as FFT, but after a good 20 hours of gameplay, i began to realize the added depth and versatility! FFTA is even better than the original. It really does grow on you!
  17. MoryB.
    Sep 22, 2003
    I'd love to explain how deep this game is, how good the graphics are, and how much fun it is overall, but this is also the most addictive game I have ever played. No time to write, I must get back to playing!
  18. MattW.
    Sep 26, 2003
    I agree with all of the posts out there that this is a good game but I do not agree that it's better than the first. FF Tactics is one of the best FF games I have ever played. FFTA does grow on you and I do like some of the newer stuff but it's not better than the original. While others are waiting on Crystal Chronicals I on the other hand am waiting on FFX-2. I can't wait I agree with all of the posts out there that this is a good game but I do not agree that it's better than the first. FF Tactics is one of the best FF games I have ever played. FFTA does grow on you and I do like some of the newer stuff but it's not better than the original. While others are waiting on Crystal Chronicals I on the other hand am waiting on FFX-2. I can't wait to see Tidus again!!! Expand
  19. MikeB.
    Sep 6, 2003
    Great.
  20. BobbyP.
    Sep 7, 2003
    Is there anything else I can say about how powerful and thrilling this game is? The first F. F. T. was a masterpiece...so here comes the next one! An absolutely great game!
  21. Jean-ChristopheB.
    Sep 8, 2003
    This is the best portable RPG ever made!
  22. HeHe
    Sep 9, 2003
    Love it!!@
  23. AlexS.
    Jan 4, 2004
    I hate this game because it's destroying my social life! lol... pure RPG at it's best.
  24. Shanw
    Mar 1, 2004
    This game completely blows away every RPG in terms of fighting. Seeing that the game is based on the fighting, they obviously had to make the fighting good, which they did. There are tons of new weapons to use and missions to play and it never leaves you bored.
  25. SeanT.
    Mar 30, 2004
    Amazing and disappointing all at once. The original had it all; An enthralling, epic story coupled with deep andaddictive gameplay. This sequel offers vaguely similar gameplay and barely any story to back it up. The biggest differences are that this "Ivalice" is nothing like the original Ivalice of Tactics and the introduction of the pesky judges who hinder you party in certain ways and Amazing and disappointing all at once. The original had it all; An enthralling, epic story coupled with deep andaddictive gameplay. This sequel offers vaguely similar gameplay and barely any story to back it up. The biggest differences are that this "Ivalice" is nothing like the original Ivalice of Tactics and the introduction of the pesky judges who hinder you party in certain ways and fine/jail you if you go against their rulings. Not a bad game, but not what fervent FF Tactics fans were clamoring for. The less adult flavor and bad story peppered with oddities like race exclusive job classes and the afforementioned Judges makes Tactics an irritating substitute. Then again, there's little else out there to compare it to and on its own merits it's still a good if not a great game! Definately worth purchasing despite the lack of similarity to its predecessor in many respects. If you like Tactic style gaming, that is. Expand
  26. BonbonA.
    Oct 13, 2005
    Luph it! It's really cool! The story wasn't that good (but it's nicer than the old FFT, when they make the tragical ending, and you are not gonna find any tragical ending in this game :). Anyway, the gameplay was pretty cool and enjoyable, so.. what are you waiting for?!
  27. BoboBill
    Oct 11, 2003
    I just have to say "holy s***, it rules!?!"
  28. BenjaminM.
    Nov 8, 2003
    Fan-fcskting-tastic. The job system is actually a bit light with only Viera having more than two layers. Even in this case, they're all throaway classes leading to the two final Viera jobs. The -2 is for one thing: No VS mode. There's multiplayer, alright, but only link missions. I'm not sure what thought process was involved in not including a VS mode, but it was a bad Fan-fcskting-tastic. The job system is actually a bit light with only Viera having more than two layers. Even in this case, they're all throaway classes leading to the two final Viera jobs. The -2 is for one thing: No VS mode. There's multiplayer, alright, but only link missions. I'm not sure what thought process was involved in not including a VS mode, but it was a bad one. The 300 single player missions, however, are great enough to sell the game. Expand
  29. RaphaelR.
    Oct 25, 2003
    I would still prefer golden sun 1 and golden sun:the lost age over this game but it's good and it has a great gameplay i just wish the graphics and sound were better though.
  30. AccessTime
    Aug 17, 2003
    This game is amazing. It has the best of the new and the best of the old. Although I haven't beaten it yet, I can definetly say that this is a very good game.
  31. MattD.
    Sep 11, 2003
    Fantasy strategists look no further. FFTA is a deep, complex gem that will keep you engrossed for hundreds of hours. Graphics are topnotch, music and sound is just right, and the gameplay is deeper than Bill Gates pockets!
  32. Kid
    Sep 11, 2003
    I liked FFtactics 4 PS1, but this game is kick ass.
  33. Pauls.
    Sep 12, 2003
    So much depth for a portable system... mindblowing.
  34. PowP.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Nowhere near the original, but then again FFT was on a different level from just about every other game ever made. Still plays amazing and already has me getting soem cash together for an SP, because my battery supply is wearing thin.
  35. AndyA.
    Sep 15, 2003
    It's been a while, but it's finally here. I loved the oiginal for the PS1, and now they've added a few twists to the game. I'm lovin' it.
  36. SeanE.
    Sep 15, 2003
    The game is da best its so fun but its hard too. Whats so stupid is the judge and there are laws and the enemy cant get a yellow crad or a red one unless u linked wit someone and fought.
  37. RamilE.
    Sep 20, 2003
    This game is great! I spend day and night playing this game, I'm so hooked. I can't wait to see how it connects with the up and coming Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles!
  38. OmarR.
    Sep 20, 2003
    I have just started its the best game boy game ever!
  39. Sarah
    Sep 24, 2003
    Having never played any other Final Fantasy game, I'm definitely going to get them now!! This game is excellent; the depth, the strategy, the graphics, everything!! Must-go-play-FFTA-bye!
  40. MarkL.
    Sep 25, 2003
    This is an amazingly deep game! It is amazing that such a great experience into a small little cartridge!
  41. JustinM.
    Sep 4, 2003
    A great title, finally, a new ff game for the Gba.
  42. YusengLee
    Sep 4, 2003
    Need a lot of time to kill? Well, here is a game that SquareEnix, formerly known as Squaresoft created! I just love everything about the game. Just like Final Fantasy Tactics on PSX, it is very addictive as long asa you play it. Heck, I even played it all weekend like crazy!!
  43. Jean-SimonDoiron
    Sep 5, 2003
    Totaly cool!!! I going to buy it right when it's coming out for sure.
  44. TomF.
    Sep 5, 2003
    The original (PSX), is one of the best RPG's ever made in my opinion, and i expect great things from FFTA.
  45. Adray
    Jan 14, 2004
    Well, i love final fantasy period...i have absolutly loved ever single one that they have even made, this is no exception...final fantasy 10 is my all time fav though, but this is a great leap for the gba because a bunch of their games are little platform games, they needed this rpg...and it has definetly worked out great...i love it!
  46. J.W.
    Mar 23, 2004
    It rocks.
  47. Brandon
    Jun 4, 2004
    I'll start wth whats bad with this game. It can be somewhat repetitive, and the fights are sometims very very long This is still a magnificent game however. Great Graphics, great music, great gameplay. You can customzieyour team which is addicting and very fun and thilling. The law system could of been done without cuz it can be frusturating, but it adds alot to it. Great GameI'll start wth whats bad with this game. It can be somewhat repetitive, and the fights are sometims very very long This is still a magnificent game however. Great Graphics, great music, great gameplay. You can customzieyour team which is addicting and very fun and thilling. The law system could of been done without cuz it can be frusturating, but it adds alot to it. Great Game definitely worth the money. Expand
  48. OdinoV.
    Sep 26, 2004
    Pretty good game, not perfect because: kiddie story, kiddie characters, mind-blowing repetitive and long boring battles. However, the class system, missions, secret characters and other qualities made me finish the game 100% with the 2nd ending. It got quite hard at the end, requiring high level characters and by the time I was done, I had so many weapons and huge amounts of money that it Pretty good game, not perfect because: kiddie story, kiddie characters, mind-blowing repetitive and long boring battles. However, the class system, missions, secret characters and other qualities made me finish the game 100% with the 2nd ending. It got quite hard at the end, requiring high level characters and by the time I was done, I had so many weapons and huge amounts of money that it just was too much. Still a classic, I wish for a true FFT game soon though. Expand
  49. AlexB.
    Apr 17, 2006
    very fun and strategic problems.
  50. TorhamZed
    Nov 16, 2003
    The learning curve is STEEP, but the rewards are there. One normally thinks of portable gaming as "pick up and play", but FFT:A is exactly the opposite. Expect to spend some time with a strategy guide to learn this game. But once you have the extreme complexity all sorted out, you won't want to play any other game for a LONG time. Truly excellent title for anyone who likes either RPG The learning curve is STEEP, but the rewards are there. One normally thinks of portable gaming as "pick up and play", but FFT:A is exactly the opposite. Expect to spend some time with a strategy guide to learn this game. But once you have the extreme complexity all sorted out, you won't want to play any other game for a LONG time. Truly excellent title for anyone who likes either RPG or strategy. Expand
  51. DanR.
    Nov 4, 2003
    The gameplay is near endless i mean there are the main missions which you must complest to continue but even after that there are plenty more and the goals for jobs system is incredible its like FF tactics and FF 5 combined.
  52. AdamS.
    Oct 16, 2003
    This game is the shiznit. There's hours upon hours of gameplay and the fighting missions kick ass. This has to be the best game on the gba so far.
  53. RobH.
    Oct 21, 2003
    I feel that the game needs to have some videos such as when you completed a chapter in the original game and then you could review it. Besides that it's a great game I have been playing for weeks.
  54. MikeK
    Dec 11, 2003
    Does ANYONE hate this game? It's deep and terrific and even with the sparse time I have I still play it as much as I can. Just wish the story was more involving- it's a neat idea but you hardly ever see it show up.
  55. JoeN.
    Oct 29, 2003
    This game is unbelievable, better then any FF i've ever played and way serpasses the expectations of the RPG genre. A MUST HAVE on all gamers lists.
  56. JohnR.
    Aug 25, 2003
    This is a superb game. I played the japanese version it was awesome. nothing compared to tactics ogre. cant wait for the english release.
  57. Sig
    Sep 11, 2003
    Well this is the first final fantasy game that i have played... at first its hard to grasp the controls but once you get the hang of it, its a very addictive game!!!
  58. BobJ.
    Sep 12, 2003
    This is the best gba game ever.
  59. ChazD.
    Sep 12, 2003
    I fully agree with Game Informer's review of this game. If you're looking for some traditional RPG action, this isn't your hookup. However, for those of us granted the patience to play through a game of Chess, welcome to the promised land! Truly a great deal of fun, but not for the faint of mind nor endurance.
  60. MidasM.
    Sep 12, 2003
    This is one of the best rpg's ever. i love the way it combines tactical battles and the origanality of rpg's. its a mix that is unstoppable i love the way i can take this anywhere!^_^
  61. CarlC.
    Sep 15, 2003
    This game is sic. After four days of play, i've completed 32 missions out of 300! I cant wait to beat this sh.t.
  62. TonyD.
    Sep 21, 2003
    This is absolutely one of the best games I have ever played. I have played for hours on end, and I still can't wait for a spare 10 minutes to turn on my GB and continue the game. There are many more job classes (42 to be exact) in this version than in the original, and there are 5 races, not to mention the monsters you can catch! This game also takes certain aspects of previous FF This is absolutely one of the best games I have ever played. I have played for hours on end, and I still can't wait for a spare 10 minutes to turn on my GB and continue the game. There are many more job classes (42 to be exact) in this version than in the original, and there are 5 races, not to mention the monsters you can catch! This game also takes certain aspects of previous FF titles and combines them into one extraordinary strategy game. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is well worthy to bear the Final Fantasy name. Collapse
  63. AnthonyJ.
    Sep 27, 2003
    This game is too awesome. The story is great, the graphics are awesome, the sound is awesome, and the fun factor is an 11 out of 10.
  64. GregM.
    Mar 15, 2004
    The most amazing gba game yet. Im a ff freak and I love the diversity of this game. There are so many different missions and items. The ony bad part is that there are all these amazingly named weapons but you get them too soon and it feels weird because in the original you get like 6 iron like swords before you get an icebrand or fire ingulfed blade. It just doesnt seem right to get the The most amazing gba game yet. Im a ff freak and I love the diversity of this game. There are so many different missions and items. The ony bad part is that there are all these amazingly named weapons but you get them too soon and it feels weird because in the original you get like 6 iron like swords before you get an icebrand or fire ingulfed blade. It just doesnt seem right to get the ragnarok after like the 5th mission. Other than that its a great game. That all i got to say. Expand
  65. DavidJ.
    Sep 27, 2005
    YO this game is da bomb.
  66. CameronK.
    Apr 28, 2006
    most addicting, fun, and addicting game i've ever played. put aside the crappy plot and it's almost the perfect game.
  67. DragonKnightofFinalFantasy
    Nov 16, 2004
    This game is AWESOME the story is a little on the weak side especially for a Square game but it's fun, customizable, long (300 misisons!), and it's portable now that's good quality! Pick it up as soon as you can!
  68. Jan 7, 2013
    Finla Fantasy Tactics Advance is A stragety RPG with similarities to chess for the Nintendo Gameboy Advance portable gaming console. This game's prequel is Final Fantasy Tactics for PS1 and its sequel is Final Fantasy Tactics A2 for Nintendo DS. Due to this game being on a Nintendo console, the storyline isn't as mature as the PS1 game and isn't as unforgivably difficult but good writingFinla Fantasy Tactics Advance is A stragety RPG with similarities to chess for the Nintendo Gameboy Advance portable gaming console. This game's prequel is Final Fantasy Tactics for PS1 and its sequel is Final Fantasy Tactics A2 for Nintendo DS. Due to this game being on a Nintendo console, the storyline isn't as mature as the PS1 game and isn't as unforgivably difficult but good writing still shines through on dramatic and though provoking psychology of a bullied school student hiding in his own fantasy world of his own creation and his friends fighting through it to get him to face his fears in reality. The gameplay consists of a chess board in which you move around units and attack with weapons, abilities, magic and special attacks. You gain exprience to level up and money to buy weapons and items through battles. There are multiple races and classes each with its own strengths, weaknesses, stat growths, abilities, weapons and attacks. Judges are introduced to give rules of the battle, if they are not followed, you lose bonus items at the end of battle, given a warning or even temporarily removed from the party and put in jail. Multiplayer consists of generic optional co-op missionsa re are not important to the game. There is exactly 300 number missions to play through with some being replayable and some are only avaliable after completing the main story and get the ending, random encounters with other armies and monsters, and special unnumbered missions after the main 300 are complete for an alternate ending. Fans of strategy games, RPGs or both should definitely check this game out, as for others, this game may or may not be your forte. Collapse Expand
  69. Jul 27, 2013
    This game resides comfortably on my personal Top Ten list at number 3, and was formerly my favorite game of all time, needless to say, I have a near infinite amount of good things to say about the game.

Longtime fans of the series (Final Fantasy Tactics.) see this game, and it's sequel as very unfortunate downhill turns the series made, while I can see where this comes from, because of the change in publisher/developer the game has changed its tone and even most of its gameplay dramatically. The story is not AS intensive as the first, I look more into it and see some heavily dramatic elements that deal the psyche of an abused school boy. The gameplay remains to be an extremely polished SRPG, with a completely customizable set of units. Being able to change everything about you're party lets you create your own style in battle, with each Job class being unique in your their own way, along with the fact that you can mix and match abilities from multiple jobs together to essentially make your own class makes character building extremely fun.

The missions and narrative provide a heavy emphasis on character and story, but only when you want it, with the literal hundreds of side-quests and optional additional story missions, most of which can be replayed, offer a deep experience from a gameplay and even story point of view. The clan territory system and clan wars game mechanics ALWAYS give you something new to do. The only complaint I had with the game was the laws system, which provides one or two restrictions on any given battle which alternate every in-game day, instead of spicing up gameplay by having to accommodate these laws, it just remains tedious, BUT it is used as a plot device to show the amount of corruption and misplaced power in the government, so I think this mechanic is excusable because it literally makes YOU feel the frustration of the protagonist in the story.

If you like RPG's, SRPG's, or played the previous title, I would HIGHLY recommend this game. It remains after ten years being one of my favorite games, and I hope that this review will encourage you to play it so it can become a favorite of yours as well. Get it on Amazon, or get the rom online, its worth a buy.
  70. May 9, 2013
    It just worth more than 10 out of 10! Final Fantasy Tactics is different than the others of the same licence. This game looks more that old Fire Emblem Sacred Stone
  71. Oct 6, 2013
    The game is great and follows what we expect of a final fantasy tactics game with new game mechanics.

If it was not for the dump end, i would give it a 10. Hope they port this one to PS3, VITA, PSP like the others.
  72. Mar 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. FFTA & Final Fantasy 8 are two games you must own and play the crap out of, if you love low-level playthroughs. At the very beginning of the game you're able to create a super powerful party, recruit assassins and ninjas and other speed demons, send them on infinitely repeatable dispatch missions to increase your clan level, thus obtaining rare powerful items. Once you've soaked countless hours into doing this optional fulfilling grinding, you can finally proceed with the story, which is awesome. Marche (the player) is the main villain, though you deduce this yourself, quite interesting. Expand
  73. May 21, 2015
  74. Apr 18, 2015
    This is one of my favorite games, if not my favorite. The unique class and race system is creative and fun, allowing for exploration in terms of game play and strategies. The game is not extremely easy like its sequel Grimoire of the Rift. While I do enjoy newer games with updated graphics, there do not seem to be any or at least many that are as good as this one for nintendo systems.This is one of my favorite games, if not my favorite. The unique class and race system is creative and fun, allowing for exploration in terms of game play and strategies. The game is not extremely easy like its sequel Grimoire of the Rift. While I do enjoy newer games with updated graphics, there do not seem to be any or at least many that are as good as this one for nintendo systems. Especially in terms of board battle sizes. There are a lot of tactics games where the size of the board is minuscule. The larger board for each battle in FFTA is great, and is what allows for the ranges of some of the attacks and more interest in the game.

More of an aside and an extra bonus, but this game also has the charm of adorable eared animals: Moogles, Vieras, Nu Mous, etc. as characters for your team. The art associated with the game is also beautiful as well.

1. Simply the best the GBA has offered so far. With an engaging plot, a deep gameplay system that allows for as much customisation as any handheld RPG, and a length that is ridiculously good value, there really is no excuse not to own this game.
  2. A great RPG strong on replay value (the item trading and link-up systems are particularly handy) with great visuals and art style to match (Akihiko Yoshida's character designs have never been better). [Oct 2003, p.79]
  3. If a dictionary definition of "just-another-go" gameplay is ever to be written, this game will have to be featured as an example; and if a list of the best handheld games ever made is written, we'd expect to see this very near the top.