9.1

1. Feb 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Review written Friday February 1 of 2013.

Final Fantasy VI is the best RPG of all time. It is not only the jewel of the genre itself, but an unique masterpiece as a videogame, standing high as one of the best videogames of the human history. The game is a narrative to take it as an experience that any other videogame could tell you. The combination of all these factors make Final Fantasy VI something more than a very creative videogame, it makes it a life experience, and of course, a must have in any RPG collection. Final Fantasy VI is, by far, the best entry in the dying series.

Final Fantasy VI has a majestic character development, taking emotions from all flavors to the game. From people who seeks revenge, like Cyan, or people who was enslaved by the Empire like Celes, the game makes us think what part of life are we living. But the most iconic character I could pick, is the main protagonist, the young Terra Branford. Amano did a perfect job when designing her, she is the icon of the game. Terra is a very fragile, feminine, but strong woman. She is the hybrid of an Esper and a human, making her a unique being. The design for the antagonist, one of the most iconic antagonist in the entire industry, Kefka, was also brilliant. Kefka is an evil clown who deserves power for himself, even costing the life of many other innocent people, something we don't see everyday in this new antagonists.

The gameplay describes Final Fantasy as its total. We play different characters, and the personal skills of each of them, makes the game more creative and unique. Maybe people believes turn-based RPG's aren't the future, but they're totally wrong. Final Fantasy VI's gameplay didn't only stands as a base for turn-based RPG's but makes a revolution of these.

Final Fantasy VI is blessed by Nobuo Uematsu, who, in my opinion, composed the best videogame soundtrack of all time. The music is, maybe, the most iconic thing of this game. The title theme, "Terra's Theme", is the best piece of music I've heard in my life, composed for a videogame. Many feelings and emotions throughout the game make us believe we are part of the game, something we could want at the time, because this game is for hardcore RPG gamers. In brief, Final Fantasy VI is the best RPG of all time. If you haven't tried it out yet, no need to wait more. The game was released in 1994, next year it will get its own 20th anniversary. We hope a remake for it, as itself stands as the most valuable game of the series, and maybe the only one that could compete as the best game of all time.
  2. Feb 27, 2012
    The greatest of all Final Fantasy games, FF6 is a wondrous experience filled with memorable characters, a thrilling story and some of the best music in video games.
  3. Oct 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Final Fantasy VI- the best game ever made, period. Each character has better character development than the entire cast of pretty much all games coming out today- not a big deal? Well, how about swallowing the fact that this game also has more characters than pretty much any other game- a whopping 14 playables, plus a few briefly playable. Best video game villain ever. Listen to the soundtrack- every single track fits the spot it plays like a glove, with the most powerful emotional scenes in a game matched by an equally masterful score. Oh, not only that- it would take you longer to listen to the music alone than to beat the newest Call of Duty.. scratch that, the newest two CoDs.

The simple sprites get the job done, and still display emotion better than most JRPG characters these days.

This game is awesome- I could live another eighty years and still never see a game this good again.
  4. concacon
    Feb 20, 2008
    The best Final Fantasy ever. Incredible cast with memorable personalities, beautifully integrated into the story which is full of all sorts of emotions and even subtle to hilarious humor (e.g. Locke's comments or Sabin's lack of communication skill made up by his great heart, which reminds me of Wakka or Laguna). Kefka is the craziest villain ever, as he even kills his boss late The best Final Fantasy ever. Incredible cast with memorable personalities, beautifully integrated into the story which is full of all sorts of emotions and even subtle to hilarious humor (e.g. Locke's comments or Sabin's lack of communication skill made up by his great heart, which reminds me of Wakka or Laguna). Kefka is the craziest villain ever, as he even kills his boss late in the game as well as committing genocide and HIS LAUGHTER!!!. Most original ingame-events for example Ultros' appearances, the opera play, Shadow's dream sequences, sidequests and everything. The soundtrack is well-conceived as well. It even becomes difficult as you proceed through the World Of Ruin. Wonderful game, a still underrated classic and best FF game to date. Collapse
  5. ChrisP.
    Nov 23, 2007
    I had never played this classic SNES rpg before until the GBA version. This is one of my favorite Final Fantasy games and one of my favorite games of all time. I must play for all true rpg fans!
  6. WillT.
    May 30, 2008
    The greatest role playing mae of all time. With all do respect to FF7, Final Fantasy VI broke all the barriers first. A complex and compelling cast. A story with unparalleled depth and refinement. And a masterful art style that was nothing short of beautiful. One of the 10 best games of all time. A game that every RPG fan should admire and own.
  7. Dec 11, 2013
    Final fantasy VI is a master piece of square soft and nintendo
    i love it. it has great characters, a deep plot
    i love everything of this game. ah the soundtrack
    its awesome!!! i loved it!
    final fantasy vi rules!!!
  8. NeoMr.Smith
    Mar 19, 2008
    perfect
  9. KevinR.
    Mar 8, 2007
    A great remake of a great game. The only problem is the hardware, which does not seem powerful enough to handle the game.
  10. AB
    Jul 8, 2007
    Absolutely rewarding gameplay and a spectacular plot makes Final Fantasy VI the best in the series. Excellent sidequests, an emotionally-superior story, dynamic characters, gorgeous music, and portability as an added GBA bonus make this one of the greatest RPGs in the history of gaming.
  11. TommiK.
    Aug 13, 2008
    Amazing Final Fantasy game. New content brings easily up to 50 hours of gameplay. The translation is superb. Also it has greatest story of all videogames.
  12. ChandreshR.
    May 22, 2007
    The most detail-involving storyline in any RPG I have met... one of few RPGs that reward you accordingly for everything you do, such as looking for sidequests or developing all your characters [eg you can use up to 12 out of the maximum 14 during the final battle.] Splendid soundtrack.
  13. JohnJ
    May 8, 2009
    The best title of Final Fantasy saga, with incredible sprite animation and with the longest and emmotive history of all the Final Fantasy games.
  14. NajinJ.
    Jan 15, 2008
    The only RPG I've bothered playing inside out--sidequests included; due to it's engaging storyline. It's always great to see older RPGs be resurrected so they can be preserved amongst younger gamers too.
  15. Hanif
    May 17, 2009
    I would have given it a ten, but the GBA version left out a few minor details, which is unforgivable for a FF6 purist like myself. Most notable of the omissions was Celes's torturing in the prison cell in South Figaro. While I am no fan of hitting woman, her beating made the empire seem oh so evil and also very real.
  16. Jun 29, 2011
    Going with both the GBA and the SNES version, Final Fantasy 6 is, in my opinion, the finest Final Fantasy adventure ever. Memorable, human like characters (Kefka is an amazing villain and a wonderfully evil human being), compelling and emotional story, amazing soundtrack and timeless gameplay. All the Final Fantasy games onwards after 6 wouldn't be as good(or bad) as they are if theyGoing with both the GBA and the SNES version, Final Fantasy 6 is, in my opinion, the finest Final Fantasy adventure ever. Memorable, human like characters (Kefka is an amazing villain and a wonderfully evil human being), compelling and emotional story, amazing soundtrack and timeless gameplay. All the Final Fantasy games onwards after 6 wouldn't be as good(or bad) as they are if they didn't have the important aspects 6 has laid out on the series as well as other RPG's. Expand
  17. Apr 25, 2014
    This is square at its best. Old school final fantasy at its best. Rpgs at its best. Wonderful story and a solid battle system. It gets abit grindy towards the end, but its still one of my favourite rpgs.
  18. May 18, 2011
    This was the DEFINITIVE RPG game during the SNES era, and now it's on the GBA. Everything about the game is the same, aside from a special dungeon you may explore after the game is over for the GBA version. However, the dungeon is rather boring and forces you to use multiple parties of characters in order to travel through it. It doesn't detract from the game experience though, as it isThis was the DEFINITIVE RPG game during the SNES era, and now it's on the GBA. Everything about the game is the same, aside from a special dungeon you may explore after the game is over for the GBA version. However, the dungeon is rather boring and forces you to use multiple parties of characters in order to travel through it. It doesn't detract from the game experience though, as it is optional. You set off on an epic quest to save the world from a madman set out to destroy anything and everyone on his path to world dominance, one of the greatest villains of all time in any game, in my opinion. It has one of the greatest endings too. Sure, you might defeat him at the end of the game, but who really wins? You have to play yourself to find out! :) Expand
  19. Jul 3, 2011
    The 1st FF game I've ever got, and hands down, the best one I've played. I fell in love with all of the characters in this game, very well developed. And the plot is also heart-warming, as you experience all of the main characters side-stories. I would want to play the original game on the SNES to see the brilliance of Final Fantasy VI back then.
  20. Dec 25, 2013
    I don't have many favorite FF games but this one is pretty good. Memorable soundtrack, solid and deep gameplay, interesting cast of characters and great plotlines combined together and you have a great RPG.
  21. Oct 26, 2014
    I don't want to say that this is my favorite FF game, because I have not played all of them, but when I played the original SNES version, I fell in love with this game. The characters, soundtrack and story are all amazing. The Advance version improves on graphics, dialogue, and adds a few extra surprises. It was a great way to introduce more modern gamers to this amazing game. 10/10
  22. Nov 15, 2013
    A masterpiece of role-playing perfection. A lengthy game with a great story, characters, music and customization options. Contains some new content that wasn't in the SNES original. If you like old school RPG's, you will love this game.
  23. Jun 11, 2014
    The Final Fantasy -series is one of the most well-known RPG's ever, and this game is definitely in the Top 3 of Final Fantasy games, heck, wouldn't be surprised if not the best. The story is truly captivating, the characters are one of the best we've ever seen, and the gameplay is pure fun. And the soundtrack, man, THE SOUNDTRACK! Dancing Mad is definitely one of the best video game songsThe Final Fantasy -series is one of the most well-known RPG's ever, and this game is definitely in the Top 3 of Final Fantasy games, heck, wouldn't be surprised if not the best. The story is truly captivating, the characters are one of the best we've ever seen, and the gameplay is pure fun. And the soundtrack, man, THE SOUNDTRACK! Dancing Mad is definitely one of the best video game songs of all time, and the villain himself is just so terrifying that he's awesome. If you're ever gonna call yourself a gamer, make sure you've played this masterpiece first. Expand
  24. Dec 28, 2014
    (my score is 9.5) Final Fantasy VI is undoubtedly an absolute gem of his genre. Perfectly balanced, Majestic in terms of plot and with graphics and sound production at the best, it has all the ingredients that make a game worship and timeless. Dense, grand and excellently conducted, the story can be seen as the essential quality of the title, but it is also a long adventure, a unique(my score is 9.5) Final Fantasy VI is undoubtedly an absolute gem of his genre. Perfectly balanced, Majestic in terms of plot and with graphics and sound production at the best, it has all the ingredients that make a game worship and timeless. Dense, grand and excellently conducted, the story can be seen as the essential quality of the title, but it is also a long adventure, a unique atmosphere and a rich and varied gameplay that make its success. It is useless to procrastinate, it is well and truly this episode, combining entertaining excellence, artistic and scenaristic, he elevate definitely the name of Final Fantasy like a masterpiece. Untouchable and unsurpassable.

Oh, and do not take the ios version of the game, take rather SNES or GBA version. The ios version is a bad port not rendering justice at all to the original game.
  25. Feb 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the FF most self-proclaimed "true" fans of the series see as the best. And rightly so.

Although Square took a step back from V in terms of character customization, they made up for it by implementing a huge cast of characters and an extremly detailed and engrossing world. Whereas V lacked in plot and characters, VI just went all out in every aspect. Unique characters, an epic plot with twists and turns, one of the best Villains of all time, the best game music score composed by Uematsu, I could go on and on. The only flaw that keeps me from giving it a 10, is the far too big of a step back it took when compared to V. For me, the customization of the characters left something to be desired. While not bad by no means, the system was more about choosing the "best" characters rather than developing them as the player saw fit. In this sense, it is on par with FFIV, and as the story in that game was also fantastic, I see little difference in them in terms of gameplay. I'm trying to be unbiased by not giving VI a better score just because I found the score and the world more intriguing, as that's just a matter of taste. Nevertheless, it is most undoubtedly one of the best games ever.

1. A well-made game that's better than most RPGs that we've seen released these past few years, and all of the new additions in this version only help make it even more awesome.
  2. In 1994 the fresh gameplay ideas Final Fantasy 6 brought to the RPG genre, coupled with the highly enjoyable story, brilliant ensemble cast and stirring score would have made the game an easy, trailblazing Eurogamer 10. It's either a remarkable testament to the original development team's vision and skill, or a damning indictment of a genre that this is so very nearly the case thirteen years on.
  3. The best of the three GBA re-issues, Final Fantasy VI Advance is a timeless dollop of role-playing adventure gaming.