Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories Game Boy Advance

7.9

1. Sakuya
    Dec 31, 2004
    It's not often that you bring a game from a large console like the PS2 and it works on a smaller one like the GBSP but Kingdom Hearts works. I've played the PS2 one like 50 times and I love it but for some reason Chain of Memories isnt what I quite expected. When Square Enix said that COM was just a preveiw to KH2 they were not lying. This game is like the last episode of It's not often that you bring a game from a large console like the PS2 and it works on a smaller one like the GBSP but Kingdom Hearts works. I've played the PS2 one like 50 times and I love it but for some reason Chain of Memories isnt what I quite expected. When Square Enix said that COM was just a preveiw to KH2 they were not lying. This game is like the last episode of Chobits. It basically just recaps what you already know, Sure there are some new elements like the card based battle system (we'll come back to that) and the inovative cut scenes which look beautiful on my SP but thats about it. IF you played the first KH then everything will be well known to you. Nothing new.... anywhere ....stop looking. don't get me wrong the game is cool but we've done this already. It would have been better if they just released KH2 and got it over with. Instead they handed us this appitizer and that is all that COM is. Warning if cards make you queesy or you like to just pound away on the A button then don't get this. You have to think every battle through or else you'll find yourself floating ont eh continue screen. ALOT. All quirks aside this game is good and if you havnt played the first one then this one will make you. But for hard core Kingdom Hearts fans this game is just a recap of what you already know. You might as well just pivk up your PS2 and play the original. It's cheaper and slightly more entertaining. Expand
  2. KJones
    Feb 1, 2005
    Absolutely freakin' awesome. If you are a KH maniac, then this is a must have. If you are looking for a good RPg for the GBA this is a must have.
  3. HannahL.
    Jan 2, 2006
    Awesome! Wonderful game! I cant wait till KH 2 comes out! I've looked at tons of trailers, and it looks WAY better than the first one, like the fighting and stuff like that. You can even change the color of your clothes! And stuff like that.
  4. JosephW.
    Dec 8, 2004
    This game is amazing I was a huge fan of the origanal and this is just the icing on the cake. I loved how they took usualy bad card RPG's and made them good. This gets my the vote for best gameboy of the year.
  5. AlanB.
    Apr 18, 2006
    The genius behind it is so extrodinary. The graphics are great and the gameplay is very new and extrordinary. How ever the bosses were easy and the last few bosses were a little too tough. The game is very intresting and there are cool keyblades also. I like this game alot!
  6. JoeT.
    Aug 14, 2007
    The perfect GBA RPG! Even if you haven't played the original game, this is a must-buy for the system. The card battle system was handled better than any other card-based games I've played, and the storyline/dialogue was extremely deep. The music and sound were well done. My major complaint would be the fact that after battling a long time, it got extremely tedious and I had to The perfect GBA RPG! Even if you haven't played the original game, this is a must-buy for the system. The card battle system was handled better than any other card-based games I've played, and the storyline/dialogue was extremely deep. The music and sound were well done. My major complaint would be the fact that after battling a long time, it got extremely tedious and I had to stop playing for a while. But overall, this is a good game. Expand
  7. Mr.Anonymous
    Sep 18, 2007
    I'm not going to do a long thing this time... Without owning this, KH2 would be like Star Wars 4. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?! Although there are no costume changes, and getting cards is very tedious, it still is pretty darn fun.
  8. Bsilver87
    Dec 6, 2004
    One of the games that actually uses the gba to its full capacity. trust me on this, I have the Japanese version, and I am very amazed. Get it once you see it!!!
  9. SalviniaA.
    Jan 17, 2005
    This was a very good game, but not quite what i expected. the trailors made it look so fun, butThe first one was a little better than this one. It was fun, but on every worlds its the same, no difference. The graphics were unbelievable. I had no idea they could make graphics so well on a gameboy sp. The story goes on very slowly which i like because i luv getting curious. Overal, it was a This was a very good game, but not quite what i expected. the trailors made it look so fun, butThe first one was a little better than this one. It was fun, but on every worlds its the same, no difference. The graphics were unbelievable. I had no idea they could make graphics so well on a gameboy sp. The story goes on very slowly which i like because i luv getting curious. Overal, it was a great game. Expand
  10. Guyling
    The best game ever!
  11. SaraL.
    Jan 17, 2005
    It was so great! i luv sora too!
  12. Mr.Wonkadoodle
    Dec 24, 2005
    i have to say that the gameplay fared better here than on the ps2. Overall it was good, but not great gaem. The story was nice, and it introduced characters for the second, but did literally nothing else. The ending was futile. But I liked this game b-cause of Kingdom Hearts and thats reason enough ti buy it.
  13. JosefW.
    May 18, 2005
    Truly engaging story. Awsome graphics. The only complaint is that the gameplay is kinda linear.
  14. May 23, 2011
    Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories has some of the best looking cutscenes ever seen on a GBA, as well as some stylish card-based battles. Pros: Excellent production for a GBA game; fantastic cutscene; the card-based battles are imaginative and fun; lots of Disney characters. Cons: Dull and repetitive level design; once you're out of cards, battles become overwhelmingly difficult.
  15. Nov 18, 2011
    This is the first sequel of the famous Kingdom Hearts game, it takes place after the first game. The game is in 2D and its entire plane is in 2D although Squareenix tried to make the game as 3D as possible, the controls just doesnt seem right for the 2D style graphics, as the game can become difficult due to the poor positioning and aiming. However for the normal disney and squareenix fan,This is the first sequel of the famous Kingdom Hearts game, it takes place after the first game. The game is in 2D and its entire plane is in 2D although Squareenix tried to make the game as 3D as possible, the controls just doesnt seem right for the 2D style graphics, as the game can become difficult due to the poor positioning and aiming. However for the normal disney and squareenix fan, this game will be perfect for the gameboy advance. You have your classic disney characters along with their Final Fantasy counter parts just like in the first game. At first the storyline might be a re-hash of the first, but there is more to the actual storyline than meets the eye. Along with that the game is now in a card based battle system which will make the players think twice before making their move against the enemy or whether to advance on to the field and choosing a route. Expand
  16. Mar 17, 2012
    This game... it's pretty much the Kingdom Hearts equivalent of Final Fantasy IX to me. Everything about this game, in my eyes, is straight up perfect. The pacing of the story is perfect. The characters are perfect. The worlds are perfect. And yes, even the battle system, in my eyes, is straight up perfect. The card system was something fresh and new and it never deteriorated from theThis game... it's pretty much the Kingdom Hearts equivalent of Final Fantasy IX to me. Everything about this game, in my eyes, is straight up perfect. The pacing of the story is perfect. The characters are perfect. The worlds are perfect. And yes, even the battle system, in my eyes, is straight up perfect. The card system was something fresh and new and it never deteriorated from the balls-to-the-walls-battles for me. The addition of the Nobodies as the primary antagonists was also perfect, because it gave some very complex baddies to actually be scared of. And the story is still from the brilliant minds of Square, being able to capture the themes of rememberance, what we need vs. what we want, and deception in one glorious package.

This game garners a perfect ten out of me, and keep in mind that this is my opinion.
  17. Nov 12, 2014
    This game is a lot of fun. It has elements of a deck building game mixed with RPG and beat 'em up styled games as well. You can get the game for $5 now. It is totally worth it. This is one of more underrated GBA in my onion.

#3 Most Discussed Game Boy Advance Game of 2004

1. A really excellent GBA game which pushes the little system to a degree that few games have tried.
  2. The levels are repetitive, boxy mazes with nothing interesting in them aside from battles, and the story's for fans only. Still, it's a technically excellent and fun game that begins to wear only through repetition and ease. [Jan 2005, p.84]
  3. Chain Of Memories' biggest problem is the repetitive nature of most of the rooms. In order to build up anything that even resembles a decent set of cards you'll need to repeat fights countless times to earn Moogle Points and experience, and the relatively limited number of different Heartless in each area can make this something of a chore.