Metroid Fusion Game Boy Advance

9.1

1. Aug 3, 2017
    I've recently completed this game on the Wii U...what a masterpiece!!! It is the best Metroid game I have played so far (Super Metroid 1994, Fusion 2002 and Zero Mission 2004). It had everything I like in a game besides the hidden items...simply cannot find them sometimes...I had to look on the internet.
  2. Jun 7, 2017
    I was never a huge Metroid fan, but playing Metroid Fusion as a child was an amazing experience for me and a great hook to the decades long franchise. Even as an adult with a critical eye Metroid Fusion is nothing short of absolute brilliance with the way it handles its shooting/platform/exploration style. Its story is very well done, with the pacing of the next big around every cornerI was never a huge Metroid fan, but playing Metroid Fusion as a child was an amazing experience for me and a great hook to the decades long franchise. Even as an adult with a critical eye Metroid Fusion is nothing short of absolute brilliance with the way it handles its shooting/platform/exploration style. Its story is very well done, with the pacing of the next big around every corner feels genius and never dull at all. The atmosphere is surprisingly spectacular, with a touch of a dark element that almost at times makes it feel like a horror game more than a shooter. The SA-X are outstanding in putting tension and even dread into players when forced to run from them. Some of bosses also have this sort of creepy and dark aura about them that made them unsettling to fight (and this mind you is all on a handheld game where compromises are made instead of being put on a console. IF Metroid Prime is the magnum opus of Nintendo's console shooters (and all shooters in general), then Metroid Fusion is the magnum opus of Nintendo's handheld devices when it comes to 2D shooters.

The only drawbacks are minimal, but perhaps the difficulty could be a bit hard for newcomers. I definitely was overwhelmed when I, a noobie, had to rush to a reactor core system under a time limit and fight everything along the way. Some environmental spots are not as clearly defined and traps can be a bit cheap. The Frost X for instance can go through walls to attack Samus, which I can say is a bit unfair. Nitpicks aside, Metroid Fusion is a brilliant handheld game that can still please my adult mind as much as when I was a little kid.
  3. May 21, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game does a few fantastic things for the Metroid series. First, it gives a fresh take on the Metroid formula. No, it's not quite as focused on exploration this time around, but that isn't unforgivably bad. It makes up for this with an incredible atmosphere, horrifying bosses, and the best inclusion, SA-X. The way this monster stalks the player throughout feels more at home in a Resident Evil game, but SA-X also serves as a litmus test for how powerful Samus becomes through the game. At first SA-X will shred you in seconds, but by the end you are equals.

The next best part of this game is the interesting characterization it gives to Samus, and ultimately the great opening it makes for the series. It ends with Samus becoming an outlaw in the eyes of the Federation, and flying off into the unknown.

NOW MAKE A SEQUEL NINTENDO
  4. Apr 8, 2017
    metroid fusion es para mi el mejor juego de toda la historia de la GBA. Es un juego un poco mas lineal q los anteriores pero igual sigue siendo muy divertido y bueno para todos los q disfrutan los plataformas de exploracion como metroid
  5. Apr 1, 2017
    8.7 - Came close to being a 9/10, but the main flaw of this metroid game is the cheap difficulty at times, specifically The Nightmare boss. Otherwise, it still has the core elements of metroid that are good along with decent environments and missions.
  6. Nov 27, 2016
    Геймплей 9/10 . Саундтрек 8/10. Сюжет 9/10. Игра атмосферная, очень крутая. Игра бывает местами занудная, но все равно остается крутой. Советую поиграть
  7. Sep 23, 2016
    I'm a big fan of 2D sidescrolling platformers. I also love Sci-Fi. And atmospheric games? There's nothing better. Metroid: Fusion is a perfect version of all these things. As a sidescroller, it feels good to play, with Samus' missiles being incredibly satisfying to shoot and her controls tight. Everything looks and sounds amazing and the enemy designs are some of the best I've ever seenI'm a big fan of 2D sidescrolling platformers. I also love Sci-Fi. And atmospheric games? There's nothing better. Metroid: Fusion is a perfect version of all these things. As a sidescroller, it feels good to play, with Samus' missiles being incredibly satisfying to shoot and her controls tight. Everything looks and sounds amazing and the enemy designs are some of the best I've ever seen (and some of the bosses are gaming gold).
    The game gets legitimately scary; not only are you all alone in the BSL station, but occasionally you'll encounter a particularly frightening enemy known as the SA-X that is far more powerful than you. These sections of the game become a sort of stealth mode where you'll have to hide and wait for the SA-X to pass you by. One part in particular stands out: a terrifying section where you have to run directly past the SA-X, in full view, and shake it off before it can blast you to pieces with its lasers.
    The game's reasonably lengthy and is pretty difficult to 100%, so it's probably worth whatever you're paying for it. Especially since it's so darn good. It's also my favorite game, by the way. Just putting that out there.
  8. Mar 20, 2016
    A game that anyone can enjoy if you like games with good mysteries and a story well worked, with a comfortable gameplay and levels with interesting level designs.

I recommend this game
  9. Nov 5, 2014
    Some people seem to think the game is too linear, but to find all the items I can guarantee you will be fumbling around for hours. I personally think it's a great balance of story and exploration. I think the gameplay and level designed has been refined from Super Metroid (which is a great game as well, don't get me wrong). This is probably my favorite Metroid game so far.
  10. Sep 30, 2014
    My personal favorite 2D Metroid game. The music and graphics are great. The gameplay is very polished and the boss fights are some of the best in the series. Metroid Fusion also has great atmosphere. The only flaw about this game is how linear it can be at times, but besides that this game is a must have.
  11. Aug 18, 2014
    Yeah, the computer guide is annoying, and you don't have as much freedom to explore, but this is still a fantastic game. Love the WiiU version -- plays so well and looks great on the gamepad.
  12. Apr 25, 2014
    An excellent GBA platformer. Great story, more action-packed than previous Metroid games, great soundtrack and beautiful visuals. While the game is very linear, in contrast to previous Metroid games, this game is excellent and easily one of the best games on the GBA.
  13. Feb 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a tough metroid compared to the likes of super metroid but I really enjoyed the challenge. It sucks you in with it's atmosphere and pacing. And you'll be left dreading the sound of distant footsteps... because you'll learn that death is about to shoot you in the ass. Expand
  14. Feb 4, 2014
    My first Metroid and it was a great experience! Such great mix of exploring, adventure and action in 2D that was just amazing for that time. The bosses were really unique and challenging. That is for sure a must-buy.
  15. Dec 18, 2013
    Excellent game faithful to the SNES title. Too bad Nintendo stoped making theese. It would accompany well enough on DS and 3DS parallell 2D games to the franchise.
  16. Jun 18, 2013
    It is like Megaman and Castlevania in a cool scifi setting with evil space parasites!
    Best Metroid on GBA because it looks and plays better than Zero Mission.
  17. May 27, 2013
    Metroid Fusion is a near perfect 2D adventure game. The controls are pinpoint precise, the music and sound design are excellent and the famous atmosphere of the Metroid series has been carried over exactly. The difficulty is just about right too. There are some challenging bosses to be dealt with (namely the SA-X chase sequence and Nightmare) but nothing feels over-the-top unlike MetroidMetroid Fusion is a near perfect 2D adventure game. The controls are pinpoint precise, the music and sound design are excellent and the famous atmosphere of the Metroid series has been carried over exactly. The difficulty is just about right too. There are some challenging bosses to be dealt with (namely the SA-X chase sequence and Nightmare) but nothing feels over-the-top unlike Metroid Prime 2. the level design is fantastic too. Due to the game's more plot heavy nature, you've always got an objective to take care of. This makes the game more accessible than previous Metroid games. That said, the game still gives you more than enough exploration to do and parts like the AQA labyrinth will have you scratching your head and begging for a guide! Basically speaking, I love Metroid Fusion. It's one of my favorite 2D games of all time and a worthy successor to legendary Super Metroid. Expand
  18. May 22, 2013
    Metroid Fusion is a great game. The graphics, controls and music are excellent in the game and these are things that I have come to expect in the Metroid series.
  19. May 14, 2013
    Metroid Fusion is not only my favorite metroid game but one of my favorite games in general. Now most people write this game off due to it's linear approach because most metroid games pride themselves in being non linear. But Metroid Fusion decides to go linear and it actually works for this game. its also quite a lengthy game too. PLEASE pick this game up I just can't do it justice.
  20. Mar 2, 2013
    A good game that might seem like loads of fun but also frustrates with a high difficulty level. Since the save points are rooms that you find throughout the levels, there might be unnecessary travel between a load point and the bosses you will almost invariably fail to beat in first try. You might give up halfway through the five-hour playthrough, and that is a shame for the game. ItA good game that might seem like loads of fun but also frustrates with a high difficulty level. Since the save points are rooms that you find throughout the levels, there might be unnecessary travel between a load point and the bosses you will almost invariably fail to beat in first try. You might give up halfway through the five-hour playthrough, and that is a shame for the game. It offers some variety (timed sections and enemies to hide/flee from) but mostly follows the pattern: standard platforming action with some exploration and then hard boss fights every 20 minutes or so. The series might have pioneered game mechanics 20 years ago, but today most of it is seen before. The GBA cartridge places heavy restrictions technically, so of course you can forgive various shortcomings, but the game could have been more friendly to newbies. Expand
  21. Feb 17, 2013
    I don't really care if this Metroid title is more linear than previous titles or that someone might not like Samus Aran's new look. The gameplay mechanics are solid, the atmosphere is eerie and the story is interesting. There's a reason critics have rated it highly.
  22. Nov 17, 2012
    I don't play Metroid games to be told what to do. If you like the exploration and independence of the other games, avoid Fusion. It is absolutely linear, plodding, and just plain wearying to play. Then there's the art. A lot has been said about how good the game looks, and I won't lie: it's pretty good. However, they try to throw so much on screen at times, it's hard to even tell what'sI don't play Metroid games to be told what to do. If you like the exploration and independence of the other games, avoid Fusion. It is absolutely linear, plodding, and just plain wearying to play. Then there's the art. A lot has been said about how good the game looks, and I won't lie: it's pretty good. However, they try to throw so much on screen at times, it's hard to even tell what's foreground or background, what you need to be paying attention to and what you should ignore. It just ends up looking messy. Oh, and this is the game that introduced the Adam Malkovich albatross that culminated in the fiasco that is Other M.

This isn't the worst game in the series, but it DEFINITELY doesn't deserve the 100/100s that you see over on the critic side or the 10/10s on the user side. If you want a "return to form" GBA Metroid, play Zero Mission. The Prime games are also good examples of how to do Metroid gameplay (Hint: it's about the exploration).
  23. May 28, 2012
    This game was solid. Fun game. Nothing extraordinary tho.
  24. Apr 5, 2012
    A masterpiece. An epic return to Samus, nice GBA graphics, the plot is very good indeed and hard difficulty... I loved this game when I was a child, and still loving it now.
  25. Mar 21, 2012
    good game......aparently this game used to be very popular i could tell by asking ll my friends at school......i got this game in the end out of curiousity....and this game is extremely challenging and very action packed....the bosses are far beyond another world hard after you beat the first three bosses.......in the end i gave this game to a friend who hates this game and wreaks havoc ongood game......aparently this game used to be very popular i could tell by asking ll my friends at school......i got this game in the end out of curiousity....and this game is extremely challenging and very action packed....the bosses are far beyond another world hard after you beat the first three bosses.......in the end i gave this game to a friend who hates this game and wreaks havoc on it....and its all because of the diffuculty of the game....if you have bad tempers with insanly hard games this game is not your type....in the end i enjoy this game and still wonder why did i give this game away.... Expand
  26. Jan 3, 2012
    So fun...but so much more linear than the other games of this style that I've been enjoying since Super Metroid and Castlevania:SotN. But a bit of linearity isn't necessarily an awful thing...it certainly help you avoid those huge blocks of time spent lost and wondering what you were supposed to get to next. But in my latest play-through of this game (after it was released as part of theSo fun...but so much more linear than the other games of this style that I've been enjoying since Super Metroid and Castlevania:SotN. But a bit of linearity isn't necessarily an awful thing...it certainly help you avoid those huge blocks of time spent lost and wondering what you were supposed to get to next. But in my latest play-through of this game (after it was released as part of the 3DS ambassador program), I played through the game in a little over three hours. That's not a lot of gameplay...though I'm sure part of the problem was that I'd played through the game 4-5 times before (although I don't think the last time was within the past five years or so). Anyhow, I love this game style, I enjoyed the game, I want more metroid/castlevania games like this. C'mon developers, hook us up. Expand
  27. Nov 4, 2011
    If you're a fan of the Metroid series as well as a game hobbyist, this is a fine addition to any collection. With the large map exploration and item hunting people have come to expect of the series, you will have many fun hours to come with this game.
  28. DivineStorm
    Jul 11, 2008
    An incredible game! Actually better than zero mission, because this game has a much deeper storyline and is three times longer than zero mission! Also beautiful graphics and gameplay.
  29. TBone
    Feb 16, 2008
    Play control, visuals, sound are all outstanding. This is a BEAUTIFUL handheld game. My problem is with the difficulty level. You're weak and the enemies do TOO MUCH DAMAGE. Boss battles can be a major pain as well. On top of this you have to move fast to receive the best ending (I hear.) I sadly had to give it up out of frustration.

#2 Most Discussed Game Boy Advance Game of 2002
#1 Most Shared Game Boy Advance Game of 2002

1. Perhaps the only niggle that you can level at Metroid Fusion, is that the focus on strong story telling reduces the exploration aspect, an area that the Metroid series is virtually unrivalled in.
  2. GMR Magazine
    While the gameplay is faster, and more responsive than ever before, MF manages to feel even more claustophobic than in the past. That's a good thing. [Feb 2003, p.75]
  3. My favourite 2D Metroid yet... [and] the best platform adventure the GBA has.