Metroid Fusion Game Boy Advance
9.1

1. May 27, 2013
    Metroid Fusion is a near perfect 2D adventure game. The controls are pinpoint precise, the music and sound design are excellent and the famous atmosphere of the Metroid series has been carried over exactly. The difficulty is just about right too. There are some challenging bosses to be dealt with (namely the SA-X chase sequence and Nightmare) but nothing feels over-the-top unlike Metroid Prime 2. the level design is fantastic too. Due to the game's more plot heavy nature, you've always got an objective to take care of. This makes the game more accessible than previous Metroid games. That said, the game still gives you more than enough exploration to do and parts like the AQA labyrinth will have you scratching your head and begging for a guide! Basically speaking, I love Metroid Fusion. It's one of my favorite 2D games of all time and a worthy successor to legendary Super Metroid. Expand
  2. Apr 5, 2012
    A masterpiece. An epic return to Samus, nice GBA graphics, the plot is very good indeed and hard difficulty... I loved this game when I was a child, and still loving it now.
  3. Feb 17, 2013
    I don't really care if this Metroid title is more linear than previous titles or that someone might not like Samus Aran's new look. The gameplay mechanics are solid, the atmosphere is eerie and the story is interesting. There's a reason critics have rated it highly.
  4. Nov 4, 2011
    If you're a fan of the Metroid series as well as a game hobbyist, this is a fine addition to any collection. With the large map exploration and item hunting people have come to expect of the series, you will have many fun hours to come with this game.
  5. May 14, 2013
    Metroid Fusion is not only my favorite metroid game but one of my favorite games in general. Now most people write this game off due to it's linear approach because most metroid games pride themselves in being non linear. But Metroid Fusion decides to go linear and it actually works for this game. its also quite a lengthy game too. PLEASE pick this game up I just can't do it justice.
  6. May 22, 2013
    Metroid Fusion is a great game. The graphics, controls and music are excellent in the game and these are things that I have come to expect in the Metroid series.
  7. Feb 4, 2014
    My first Metroid and it was a great experience! Such great mix of exploring, adventure and action in 2D that was just amazing for that time. The bosses were really unique and challenging. That is for sure a must-buy.
  8. Jan 3, 2012
    So fun...but so much more linear than the other games of this style that I've been enjoying since Super Metroid and Castlevania:SotN. But a bit of linearity isn't necessarily an awful thing...it certainly help you avoid those huge blocks of time spent lost and wondering what you were supposed to get to next. But in my latest play-through of this game (after it was released as part of the 3DS ambassador program), I played through the game in a little over three hours. That's not a lot of gameplay...though I'm sure part of the problem was that I'd played through the game 4-5 times before (although I don't think the last time was within the past five years or so). Anyhow, I love this game style, I enjoyed the game, I want more metroid/castlevania games like this. C'mon developers, hook us up. Expand
  9. Mar 21, 2012
    good game......aparently this game used to be very popular i could tell by asking ll my friends at school......i got this game in the end out of curiousity....and this game is extremely challenging and very action packed....the bosses are far beyond another world hard after you beat the first three bosses.......in the end i gave this game to a friend who hates this game and wreaks havoc on it....and its all because of the diffuculty of the game....if you have bad tempers with insanly hard games this game is not your type....in the end i enjoy this game and still wonder why did i give this game away.... Expand
  10. Jun 18, 2013
    It is like Megaman and Castlevania in a cool scifi setting with evil space parasites!
    Best Metroid on GBA because it looks and plays better than Zero Mission.
  11. Feb 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a tough metroid compared to the likes of super metroid but I really enjoyed the challenge. It sucks you in with it's atmosphere and pacing. And you'll be left dreading the sound of distant footsteps... because you'll learn that death is about to shoot you in the ass. Expand
  12. Dec 18, 2013
    Excellent game faithful to the SNES title. Too bad Nintendo stoped making theese. It would accompany well enough on DS and 3DS parallell 2D games to the franchise.
  13. Mar 2, 2013
    A good game that might seem like loads of fun but also frustrates with a high difficulty level. Since the save points are rooms that you find throughout the levels, there might be unnecessary travel between a load point and the bosses you will almost invariably fail to beat in first try. You might give up halfway through the five-hour playthrough, and that is a shame for the game. It offers some variety (timed sections and enemies to hide/flee from) but mostly follows the pattern: standard platforming action with some exploration and then hard boss fights every 20 minutes or so. The series might have pioneered game mechanics 20 years ago, but today most of it is seen before. The GBA cartridge places heavy restrictions technically, so of course you can forgive various shortcomings, but the game could have been more friendly to newbies. Expand
  14. May 28, 2012
    This game was solid. Fun game. Nothing extraordinary tho.
  15. Nov 17, 2012
    I don't play Metroid games to be told what to do. If you like the exploration and independence of the other games, avoid Fusion. It is absolutely linear, plodding, and just plain wearying to play. Then there's the art. A lot has been said about how good the game looks, and I won't lie: it's pretty good. However, they try to throw so much on screen at times, it's hard to even tell what's foreground or background, what you need to be paying attention to and what you should ignore. It just ends up looking messy. Oh, and this is the game that introduced the Adam Malkovich albatross that culminated in the fiasco that is Other M.

This isn't the worst game in the series, but it DEFINITELY doesn't deserve the 100/100s that you see over on the critic side or the 10/10s on the user side. If you want a "return to form" GBA Metroid, play Zero Mission. The Prime games are also good examples of how to do Metroid gameplay (Hint: it's about the exploration).

1. Perhaps the only niggle that you can level at Metroid Fusion, is that the focus on strong story telling reduces the exploration aspect, an area that the Metroid series is virtually unrivalled in.
  2. While the gameplay is faster, and more responsive than ever before, MF manages to feel even more claustophobic than in the past. That's a good thing. [Feb 2003, p.75]
  3. My favourite 2D Metroid yet... [and] the best platform adventure the GBA has.