Metroid: Zero Mission Game Boy Advance
9.0

1. Feb 14, 2011
    A true masterpiece of 2D gaming. For me, this is the best Metroid game in existance. The balance and refinement of the gameplay is at it's zenith for the series. It just cannot be improved upon. The difficulty, the sense of exploration with just the right amount of guidence, the controls, the graphics.... Perfect!
  2. Jun 7, 2012
    One of the best games I have ever played, the design, the battles, the power-ups, the music, and the amount of fun you have playing this game earn Metroid Zero Mission a solid 10.
  3. May 22, 2013
    The graphics of Metroid: Zero Mission stands on its own and reminds me of the graphics of the Super Metroid. Everything in the game from the controls to the music are classic. It's a must have for Game Boy advance owners who are Metroid fans.
  4. Fred-AllenS.
    Feb 16, 2004
    The game is incredible and captivating. In fact it's probably one of the best Metroid titles yet, but it does have one downfall...it is painfully short! I finished in one sitting!
  5. Boon
    Feb 5, 2004
    Absolutely amazing.
  6. BIgGUy
    Mar 19, 2004
    Excellent game. Great graphics, game play and sound, but it took me 5 hours to finish. I like my games a wee bit longer but buy this one anyway. Its pretty cool.
  7. SeanT.
    Mar 30, 2004
    Essentially, a director's cut of the marvel that was the original Metroid game. It plays as if the lovechild of the original and Super Metroid. Sharp visuals and comparatively great audio make this a pleasurable experience and the additions (new areas, new enemies, new power ups, galleries, variant endings, Original Metroid game, etc.) to an already awesome game make it all the more Essentially, a director's cut of the marvel that was the original Metroid game. It plays as if the lovechild of the original and Super Metroid. Sharp visuals and comparatively great audio make this a pleasurable experience and the additions (new areas, new enemies, new power ups, galleries, variant endings, Original Metroid game, etc.) to an already awesome game make it all the more a MUST HAVE. Pick it up, you won't regret it. It's that good. Expand
  8. CaoticFox
    Apr 13, 2004
    Awesome game, but its a pity that the final chapter didn't last longer than it did. It was all too sudden, but every second played was relished. A painfully brilliant rendition of the original.
  9. JoshM.
    May 27, 2004
    One of the greatest games ever but way too short, took me just over 3 hours the first time through.
  10. KyleW.
    Jul 27, 2005
    I think metriod is an awsome game allso it never gets boring. i beat it 13 times on normal and alot of times on easy to be onist im playing right now.
  11. yukonshinobi
    Apr 6, 2007
    This game was amazing although I did not like the weak plot line. I also found that Samus ran too fast and her legs seemed to move faster than her actualy motion. And has nay one noticed that you can scale flat walls before you get the space jump, you can jump off a wall and yurn back right after, in Fusion in would make you hit just under the apex of your jump before you could change This game was amazing although I did not like the weak plot line. I also found that Samus ran too fast and her legs seemed to move faster than her actualy motion. And has nay one noticed that you can scale flat walls before you get the space jump, you can jump off a wall and yurn back right after, in Fusion in would make you hit just under the apex of your jump before you could change directions, really wierd glitch. I also hated the uselessness of power bombs in this game, for the 1st time through when you just wanna beat the final boss you only really need like 1 or 2 power bombs. But I really liked the animation, the environments, sound, music, and how effing hard it was on hard mode, regular Ridly and Mother brain were so effing hard bottom line, aside from a few things they need to work on this game kicks and you should definitely buy it, aloso buy Fusion as well the story line and levels are better but gameplay and animation arent quite as good Id gove that a nine as well. Expand
    Jan 26, 2004
    It's metroid. 'nuff said kids.
  13. AlexanderE.
    Feb 15, 2004
    Stunning!
  14. Ramiro
    Feb 2, 2004
    This has to be one of the most asthetically pleasing games i have seen recently, the drastic overhaul of the Graphics and the play mechanics is awinspireing. I simply cannot wait to obtain a copy of this fine feat of art. If any one dares to call this game a simple remake, they should get their eyes checked and possible consult a tharapist, because they are certainly missing the genious This has to be one of the most asthetically pleasing games i have seen recently, the drastic overhaul of the Graphics and the play mechanics is awinspireing. I simply cannot wait to obtain a copy of this fine feat of art. If any one dares to call this game a simple remake, they should get their eyes checked and possible consult a tharapist, because they are certainly missing the genious behind the retelling of this game. Expand
  15. EH
    Feb 5, 2004
    Anyone who rates this game less than 10 doesn't know METROID.
  16. BobbyD.
    Mar 1, 2004
    This game is very addicting. I liked how they brought in new powers into the game, like the power grip or the speed booster from metroid fusion. It's great to play the classic metroid game after beating the game once.
  17. Ed
    Mar 8, 2004
    It's not a bad game, but pretty dang short. There are two parts to the mission and I was surprised by the second half (borrow this game from a friend to find out what I'm talking about.) This music is great and so is the animation. The game doesn't have much replay value when compared to Metroid Fusion. However, it comes w/ some cool features like a picture gallery and the It's not a bad game, but pretty dang short. There are two parts to the mission and I was surprised by the second half (borrow this game from a friend to find out what I'm talking about.) This music is great and so is the animation. The game doesn't have much replay value when compared to Metroid Fusion. However, it comes w/ some cool features like a picture gallery and the original Metroid on NES. Expand
  18. MattR.
    Apr 26, 2004
    Not bad at all. Sure, it's short, but it's done well and fun as heck. The problem I have with all Metroid games (and most Nintendo releases) is the Uber-annoying insistence on "boss" characters that require 3349 shots to kill and add little to the gameplay.
  19. ZekeW.
    Jun 4, 2004
    If you rate this game at a nine or lower and says well too short and a bit boring you definitely are so WRONG!!!! this game beats every other game i have played try finding all the secrets when you play for the first time it will take about 30-39 hours some items take even 10 hoursto get you will spend getting 2 of them i know your whole life i bet a super missile and the last energy tankIf you rate this game at a nine or lower and says well too short and a bit boring you definitely are so WRONG!!!! this game beats every other game i have played try finding all the secrets when you play for the first time it will take about 30-39 hours some items take even 10 hoursto get you will spend getting 2 of them i know your whole life i bet a super missile and the last energy tank right by robot ridley. Expand
  20. Tingleiscool
    Jul 11, 2004
    This game is like crack. You will not want to put it down. If you haven't played the original, it's a must buy.
  21. Samus
    Sep 29, 2004
    Visually on par with Fusion, but this one has better gameplay. The reason that the 2 are tied the fact that this one has way to easy boss battles (despite the frustrating mother brain) and fusion's battle's are as hard as hell, but fusion has s better plot (an actually brilliant plot with twists on the gba!) while this one's is just destroy th mother brain. Sad. And fusion Visually on par with Fusion, but this one has better gameplay. The reason that the 2 are tied the fact that this one has way to easy boss battles (despite the frustrating mother brain) and fusion's battle's are as hard as hell, but fusion has s better plot (an actually brilliant plot with twists on the gba!) while this one's is just destroy th mother brain. Sad. And fusion does have better sound but zero mission has better gameplay making the 2 tied. Despite there differences content wise, the 2 are still the 2 best games ever made. The question is, will someone learn which is better? Expand
  22. ChrisC.
    Feb 10, 2008
    There comes a time in every gamer's life when you think that there won't ever be a game to be perfect. Then, a game like this comes around. I am amazed to say that I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this game. It's perfect. Simply perfect. Nowadays, I say that about a few more games, but this game was the first to start it off.
  23. Ridley
    Aug 16, 2008
    A good Metroid, but not the best, it's an excellent place to start the series with because it's easy and short and it retells the original game. It lacks the scale and balanced difficulty of Super Metroid and toned down from Metroid Fusion and it doesn't try to break any new ground like Fusion or the excellent original Metroid Prime. My only real complaint is once I started A good Metroid, but not the best, it's an excellent place to start the series with because it's easy and short and it retells the original game. It lacks the scale and balanced difficulty of Super Metroid and toned down from Metroid Fusion and it doesn't try to break any new ground like Fusion or the excellent original Metroid Prime. My only real complaint is once I started to get into it, it was over. I personally prefer Super and Fusion, but by no means does that make this game inferior. Definitely check it out. Expand
  24. RaphaelR.
    Feb 22, 2004
    This game is cool and itz good but i still think i like metroid fusion better but it is pretty good althought it is short i still recommend you to buy it cuse it is worth it.
  25. MarcoC.
    Jun 16, 2004
    I'm a fan of Nintendo's Big 3 (Mario, Metroid:Samus Aran, & The Legend Of Zelda: Link) with that said Zero mission is just as good as Metroid Fusion and with almost the same flaws. One of them being is that the game is short or very short if you already know how to play the game. The rest of my opinon of this game you should check at Gamespot (Click on movies to check out the I'm a fan of Nintendo's Big 3 (Mario, Metroid:Samus Aran, & The Legend Of Zelda: Link) with that said Zero mission is just as good as Metroid Fusion and with almost the same flaws. One of them being is that the game is short or very short if you already know how to play the game. The rest of my opinon of this game you should check at Gamespot (Click on movies to check out the video review for those of you who don't know) because every thing that he says is what I think of the game too. Overall I think the game is worth buying and will most likely play though it 3 times or more. If you're ok with that, Then this is the game for you :) Expand
  26. MattB.
    Sep 14, 2004
    This game is So COOL!!!! It's got alot of diffrent settings like the basics such as easy and normal, but if u beat it then You can play it on HARD! youve gotta beat the game on normal about 3 times before even trying to play hard! (you can alsoo get a time trial after u beat the game in that record---it will start you a new game but its a little diffrent---press up, left, right, down This game is So COOL!!!! It's got alot of diffrent settings like the basics such as easy and normal, but if u beat it then You can play it on HARD! youve gotta beat the game on normal about 3 times before even trying to play hard! (you can alsoo get a time trial after u beat the game in that record---it will start you a new game but its a little diffrent---press up, left, right, down and then play it!) If you like any metriod game you will love this one! i also recommed fusion too! Expand
  27. DemonicAngel
    Dec 28, 2004
    Metroid: Zero Mission, while it lasts, is the most fun and engaging of all the 2D Metroid titles. The gameplay has been tuned and refined to near-perfection. Samus controls smoothly, and any missteps that may occur are almost always entirely the fault of the player. Graphics, likewise, are the best of all the 2D Metroids thus far. Ditto sound. The environment, as with all Metroids, is Metroid: Zero Mission, while it lasts, is the most fun and engaging of all the 2D Metroid titles. The gameplay has been tuned and refined to near-perfection. Samus controls smoothly, and any missteps that may occur are almost always entirely the fault of the player. Graphics, likewise, are the best of all the 2D Metroids thus far. Ditto sound. The environment, as with all Metroids, is riddled with countless secret passages and hidden items, and some of them will elude all but the most skilled players. So why only an 8? Well, two reasons. First, the game's level of difficulty is just too damn easy on Normal mode, whilst being almost too difficult on Hard mode. Secondly, it's just too short. The game's at least as big as Super Metroid (Metroid III), but Samus' movement speed has been cranked up so much that it actually takes less time to get from one end of the world to the other. -- To sum up; Metroid: Zero Mission is a great retelling of Samus' early days, a worthy successor to Metroid III, and a captivating adventure in its own right. It's just a terrible shame that it's so short. Expand
  28. Oct 10, 2013
    Metroid: Zero Mission is the 2nd Metroid game on the GBA and a remake of the original Metroid on the NES with enhanced features and more modern controls.

Story: The story follows a bounty hunter called Samus Aran on her journey to the space pirate base on Zebes, Samus is trying to destroy the stolen Metroids, as her mission takes her deeper into the base she faces tougher enemies and

Story:
    The story follows a bounty hunter called Samus Aran on her journey to the space pirate base on Zebes, Samus is trying to destroy the stolen Metroids, as her mission takes her deeper into the base she faces tougher enemies and various bosses who now became legendary in the gaming community...

There's also new bonus content after finishing the main story, in which you get shot down and captured trying to escape planet Zebes, this has you sneaking trough the pirates ship looking for your Power Suit and facing off against a familiar foe...

Gameplay:
    The game takes place in a large open world divided by doors and elevators, you are given a clue on your map on where you have to go next, usually to get there you'll need to find an appropriate power-up to continue towards your destination.

You control Samus Aran, who can shoot, jump and roll into a ball, later on you'll upgrade your Power Suit and your weaponry gaining new abilities and skills which you'll need to progress into new area's, the game involves a lot of backtracking as each time you gain a new upgrade, you might be able to find new areas in places where you've already been, containing even more upgrades. You should always check your surroundings aswell as there are dozens of secret places to discover, usually containing more goodies.

Controls:
    The controls are very tight and responsive, you can shoot (later hold the shoot button for a powered up version), Jump or go into a ball by pressing down twice, you can also shoot diagonally now by holding the L-trigger which should make things easier then on NES and activate special weapons by holding the R-trigger.

Graphics:
    The graphics where spot on for me, it's all in 2D, but everything is bright and colorful and the new special effects look nice. The game is divided into area's which each has their own distinct style, the enemies grow tougher aswell as the game progresses and it shows in their design.

Music:
    The music is superb, there's not track I dislike, they are excellent remakes (or enhanced versions) of the originals and stay very true to them, the song played in the background usually suits the area you are in pretty wel.

Positives:
    + Gameplay is amazing!
    + Backtracking, looking for secrets, always something new to discover!
    + The music is absolutely amazing and true to the original.
    + The art style suits the game well.
    + New Content!

Negatives:
    - It is quite short.
    - Hardly any explanation when a new power is gained. (While not needed for me and many others, this might be offsetting for inexperienced or new players)

Conclusion:
    Metroid: Zero Mission is a perfectly enhanced remake of the original Metroid and any fan should have played this, the gameplay is solid, the music is epic and the Metroid universe is as awesome as ever...
  29. Aug 9, 2013
    Metroid Zero Mission is a game that truly shows how gaming has evolved. The game is a remake of the original Metroid with all of the added features of today's hardware. This game changed everything that could be changed while still maintaing the fundamentals of the original. The story is the same as the original, Samus Aran must go to planet Zebes to defeat the Mother Brain. StoryMetroid Zero Mission is a game that truly shows how gaming has evolved. The game is a remake of the original Metroid with all of the added features of today's hardware. This game changed everything that could be changed while still maintaing the fundamentals of the original. The story is the same as the original, Samus Aran must go to planet Zebes to defeat the Mother Brain. Story doesn't play that huge of a role in this game, or the whole series for that matter. The gameplay is the same as the original, explore the various areas of Zebes to find power ups to allow you to access the rest of the planet. However, Zero Mission adds more features that the original could not have. Everything from new power ups such as the speed booster, to the simple ability to shoot diagonally. The most significant change is the fact that power ups now stack up. For example, the wave beam and the ice beam can now be used at the same time. However the game has also changed the graphics, the boss battles and there is now a whole new area to explore. The graphics and soundtrack are updated to make use of modern hardware. The boss battles between Kraid, Ridley, and Mother Brain are much more difficult, there are also new bosses. The new area is accessible after you have destroyed the Mother Brain. In this area, Samus has lost her power suit for most of the area and must use stealth to sneak past enemies. As a whole, this game is an extreme improvement of the original and it only has one fault, it's difficulty. Zero Mission is one of, if not the easiest Metroid game. However, this game is also the most accessible Metroid game to newcomers and I can easily recommend this game to people who want to start their Metroid adventure. Expand
  30. Mar 23, 2014
    The best handheld Metroid game and is pretty much the perfect version of the original Metroid. The visuals are great, the soundtrack is memorable and the gameplay has been refined from Super Metroid and that is never a bad thing. One of the best handheld platformers out there and i do find it better than Metroid Fusion. A flaw is that if you have played the original Metroid, this game willThe best handheld Metroid game and is pretty much the perfect version of the original Metroid. The visuals are great, the soundtrack is memorable and the gameplay has been refined from Super Metroid and that is never a bad thing. One of the best handheld platformers out there and i do find it better than Metroid Fusion. A flaw is that if you have played the original Metroid, this game will not have nearly the same impact and you can pretty much get the secrets and breeze through the whole game no problem. I highly recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  31. Apr 9, 2014
    My favorite 2D platformer of all time, Metroid Zero Mission is a must have for those who love the GBA. It's an updated remake of the original with lots of content. Blowing stuff up has never been so much fun.
  32. Jul 15, 2014
    I've owned this game for years having bought it because it received such good reviews even though i've never been a big metroid fan (don't know why it's just never really appealed to me). I've never really found the impetus to stick with it though, I'd play for 10 minutes and just lose interest. The other day I was leafing through my GBA games and decided to give it one more go. OH MYI've owned this game for years having bought it because it received such good reviews even though i've never been a big metroid fan (don't know why it's just never really appealed to me). I've never really found the impetus to stick with it though, I'd play for 10 minutes and just lose interest. The other day I was leafing through my GBA games and decided to give it one more go. OH MY GOD I have been missing out for Sooooo long. This game is excellent. It really grew on me. It's combination of 2D platforming and puzzling is up there with the best of them. My only complaint having played it for 4 hours is that I've completed it. I wish it were longer but i am going to play it again on a harder level and try and find all the items so there is replay value. Expand

Not only does it exhibit and exemplify some of the best 2D level design for almost any action adventure game ever seen, but it also offers a wealth of engrossing replayability for those that wish to explore the gloomy depths of the infamous Zebes.
  2. Where Zero Mission really adds to the legend is in the game's challenging surprise ending...this isn't your daddy's Metroid. [Mar 2004, p.92]
  3. Every minute of that five hours was excellent, and Zero Mission takes its place as one of the finest titles in the GBA's already impressive pantheon of platformers. However, we can't help but wish that it had been longer.