Metroid: Zero Mission Game Boy Advance
8.9

1. Feb 14, 2011
    A true masterpiece of 2D gaming. For me, this is the best Metroid game in existance. The balance and refinement of the gameplay is at it's zenith for the series. It just cannot be improved upon. The difficulty, the sense of exploration with just the right amount of guidence, the controls, the graphics.... Perfect!
  2. Mar 23, 2014
    The best handheld Metroid game and is pretty much the perfect version of the original Metroid. The visuals are great, the soundtrack is memorable and the gameplay has been refined from Super Metroid and that is never a bad thing. One of the best handheld platformers out there and i do find it better than Metroid Fusion. A flaw is that if you have played the original Metroid, this game will not have nearly the same impact and you can pretty much get the secrets and breeze through the whole game no problem. I highly recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  3. May 22, 2013
    The graphics of Metroid: Zero Mission stands on its own and reminds me of the graphics of the Super Metroid. Everything in the game from the controls to the music are classic. It's a must have for Game Boy advance owners who are Metroid fans.
  4. Oct 10, 2013
    Metroid: Zero Mission is the 2nd Metroid game on the GBA and a remake of the original Metroid on the NES with enhanced features and more modern controls.

Story:
    The story follows a bounty hunter called Samus Aran on her journey to the space pirate base on Zebes, Samus is trying to destroy the stolen Metroids, as her mission takes her deeper into the base she faces tougher enemies and
    various bosses who now became legendary in the gaming community...

There's also new bonus content after finishing the main story, in which you get shot down and captured trying to escape planet Zebes, this has you sneaking trough the pirates ship looking for your Power Suit and facing off against a familiar foe...

Gameplay:
    The game takes place in a large open world divided by doors and elevators, you are given a clue on your map on where you have to go next, usually to get there you'll need to find an appropriate power-up to continue towards your destination.

You control Samus Aran, who can shoot, jump and roll into a ball, later on you'll upgrade your Power Suit and your weaponry gaining new abilities and skills which you'll need to progress into new area's, the game involves a lot of backtracking as each time you gain a new upgrade, you might be able to find new areas in places where you've already been, containing even more upgrades. You should always check your surroundings aswell as there are dozens of secret places to discover, usually containing more goodies.

Controls:
    The controls are very tight and responsive, you can shoot (later hold the shoot button for a powered up version), Jump or go into a ball by pressing down twice, you can also shoot diagonally now by holding the L-trigger which should make things easier then on NES and activate special weapons by holding the R-trigger.

Graphics:
    The graphics where spot on for me, it's all in 2D, but everything is bright and colorful and the new special effects look nice. The game is divided into area's which each has their own distinct style, the enemies grow tougher aswell as the game progresses and it shows in their design.

Music:
    The music is superb, there's not track I dislike, they are excellent remakes (or enhanced versions) of the originals and stay very true to them, the song played in the background usually suits the area you are in pretty wel.

Positives:
    + Gameplay is amazing!
    + Backtracking, looking for secrets, always something new to discover!
    + The music is absolutely amazing and true to the original.
    + The art style suits the game well.
    + New Content!

Negatives:
    - It is quite short.
    - Hardly any explanation when a new power is gained. (While not needed for me and many others, this might be offsetting for inexperienced or new players)

Conclusion:
    Metroid: Zero Mission is a perfectly enhanced remake of the original Metroid and any fan should have played this, the gameplay is solid, the music is epic and the Metroid universe is as awesome as ever...
  5. Jun 7, 2012
    One of the best games I have ever played, the design, the battles, the power-ups, the music, and the amount of fun you have playing this game earn Metroid Zero Mission a solid 10.
  6. Aug 9, 2013
    Metroid Zero Mission is a game that truly shows how gaming has evolved. The game is a remake of the original Metroid with all of the added features of today's hardware. This game changed everything that could be changed while still maintaing the fundamentals of the original. The story is the same as the original, Samus Aran must go to planet Zebes to defeat the Mother Brain. Story doesn't play that huge of a role in this game, or the whole series for that matter. The gameplay is the same as the original, explore the various areas of Zebes to find power ups to allow you to access the rest of the planet. However, Zero Mission adds more features that the original could not have. Everything from new power ups such as the speed booster, to the simple ability to shoot diagonally. The most significant change is the fact that power ups now stack up. For example, the wave beam and the ice beam can now be used at the same time. However the game has also changed the graphics, the boss battles and there is now a whole new area to explore. The graphics and soundtrack are updated to make use of modern hardware. The boss battles between Kraid, Ridley, and Mother Brain are much more difficult, there are also new bosses. The new area is accessible after you have destroyed the Mother Brain. In this area, Samus has lost her power suit for most of the area and must use stealth to sneak past enemies. As a whole, this game is an extreme improvement of the original and it only has one fault, it's difficulty. Zero Mission is one of, if not the easiest Metroid game. However, this game is also the most accessible Metroid game to newcomers and I can easily recommend this game to people who want to start their Metroid adventure. Expand
  7. Jul 15, 2014
    I've owned this game for years having bought it because it received such good reviews even though i've never been a big metroid fan (don't know why it's just never really appealed to me). I've never really found the impetus to stick with it though, I'd play for 10 minutes and just lose interest. The other day I was leafing through my GBA games and decided to give it one more go. OH MY GOD I have been missing out for Sooooo long. This game is excellent. It really grew on me. It's combination of 2D platforming and puzzling is up there with the best of them. My only complaint having played it for 4 hours is that I've completed it. I wish it were longer but i am going to play it again on a harder level and try and find all the items so there is replay value. Expand
  8. Apr 9, 2014
    My favorite 2D platformer of all time, Metroid Zero Mission is a must have for those who love the GBA. It's an updated remake of the original with lots of content. Blowing stuff up has never been so much fun.

Not only does it exhibit and exemplify some of the best 2D level design for almost any action adventure game ever seen, but it also offers a wealth of engrossing replayability for those that wish to explore the gloomy depths of the infamous Zebes.
  2. Where Zero Mission really adds to the legend is in the game's challenging surprise ending...this isn't your daddy's Metroid. [Mar 2004, p.92]
  3. Every minute of that five hours was excellent, and Zero Mission takes its place as one of the finest titles in the GBA's already impressive pantheon of platformers. However, we can't help but wish that it had been longer.