Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis Game Boy Advance

• Release Date: Nov 14, 2006
2.3

1. JacobM
    Feb 14, 2009
    I don't understand why everybody hates this! Sure, it's laggy and glitchy, but I think the save system and Spin Dash are great additions! You should give it a shot, even if you're not a Sonic fan.
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    This version of Sonic the Hedgehog is too easy and the controls are terrible. I especially didn't like the new sound effects which removed the feel of Sonic that I liked from the original.
  3. Steve
    Oct 11, 2009
    I got Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis after seeing the bad reviews, and I disagree with them. The game does have slow downs and a different feel, but I still got some enjoyment out of playing this game. In my opinion, it is an ok game.
  4. Dec 14, 2016
    This one is a mixed-bag for me. I kind of enjoyed it, and I didn't at the same time.

This game was made on the Sonic Advanced engine, and because the sprites were super big, it caused slowdown. Yes it can get annoying, but at least it's smooth, other than Medal Of Honor: Underground for the GBA. The game looks good, and it's the same level design from the original, but the screen is

The game looks good, and it's the same level design from the original, but the screen is zoomed in WAY too much. You won't even get to react when you see an enemy on top of/in front of/under you. This makes you get cheap deaths a lot of times.

Music and Sound Effects are okay. Sound Effects can get annoying after a while, and the music is remixed, but it's still enjoyable to listen to.

The bosses are the HUGE screw up in this. You can get on top of Dr. Robotnik and keep on hitting him, the thing you couldn't do in the original. This makes bosses easier, but except one, Labyrinth Zone. Holy crap, Dr. Robotnik is almost IMPOSSIBLE at Labyrinth Zone, because due to the slowdown, and that it's zoomed in. The patterns with the harmful obstacles is gone once it leaves the screen, making it off. Also due to the added momentum in this game, it makes it super difficult that it's not even funny.

The Anniversary Mode only adds the spindash. That's it. I have no words.

There was a lot of fun moments with this disaster of a port, but because of it's issues, it deserves a 5/10.

1. AceGamez
    I truly am blown away by how terrible this port turned out to be.
  2. Nintendo Power
    Considering that "Sonic Mega Collection" for GCN already boasts a perfect version of the original Sonic, this game is a bit of a tough sell, but at least the inclusion of the 'hogs trademark Spin Dash adds some appeal. [Jan. 2007, p.112]
  3. Play Magazine
    There are a few minor twists in the Anniversary Mode, such as the ability to use the Spin Dash that was introduced later in the series, but none of it matters when the fundamentals are so thoroughly screwed. [Dec. 2006, p.92]