Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis Game Boy Advance

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 14, 2006
2.8

1. May 3, 2011
    An effortless port that could turn off newcomers faster than the hedgehog himself. Pros: Alright for a quick Sonic run or two; the additional Spin Dash and save system are helpful. Cons: A lot of glitches and slowdowns; unresponsive controls; horrendously redone soundtrack and cheap audio; it's lousy next to ports like Mario and Zelda.
  2. Oct 3, 2013
    You'll be surprised how atrocious this port is it has horrendous sound terrible sound and loaded with bugs not only is the GBA more powerful than the Genesis and this was released in 2006! when the DS was released! Just pretend this game doesn't exist and your life will be better.
  3. MaxP.
    Feb 27, 2007
    Horrible lag and small screen make this game totally unplayable. Get the original or the mega collection instead.
  4. TyF.
    Nov 22, 2007
    This is why Sega now is a piece of garbage, they are really rushing Sonic games and this is one of them! Sega, how dare you!! How dare you not putting Sonic in the same care that Nintendo did with Mario. Sega, you are nothing more then a company with no heart.
  5. JoeS
    May 21, 2008
    A true disappointment if ever there was one. I grew up with the original Sonic game. It was the first Genesis game I ever played. How they could have botched the translation so terribly is beyond me. The addition of the spin dash and the slightly higher jump is cool, but what is with all the lag? The lag makes the whole thing unplayable! Whoever did the port on this one deserves to be fired.
  6. Nov 13, 2010
    There is only one word that describes this game, "BROKEN".
    Almost everything that made the original game a masterpiece is loss in this portable remake.
    There is only one word that describes this game, "BROKEN".
    The physics are a disaster, the lag is unacceptable, the audio is poor quality at best, graphics tend to freak out and act strangely from time to time, resolution is so awkward its next to impossible to see what is going on around you, glitches related to poor programing are quite literally everywhere, the spindash does not even work correctly and there are even a few spelling errors in the sound test menu. The only bonus features are save feature, a level select (you need to unlock each stage manually by reaching it) feature and a sound test feature (unlocked by game completion most likely). Due to absurd amounts of lag and wonky physics, it is incredibly difficult to complete Labyrinth Zone Act 3 and sometimes if you are killed during the boss in this stage you are respawned at a checkpoint stuck underwater with no way to escape but waste your lives on drowning or quitting and returning to the title screen. The game is awful and nobody should waste their hard earned money on this rushed and broken nearly unplayable mess of a game.
  7. Aug 3, 2011
    Oh man I can't believe I have to Review on this. Every Sonic Fan weather it is the Classic or Modern Sonic Fans, It is really bad. The positive is the Spin Dash, a Save Feature and the Concept. Everything Else fails badly. Loads of Glitches, Bad Sound like Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, The Jonas Bros and Rebbecca Black, Awful Controls and Abysmal Gameplay. End of Story. Do not buy this gameOh man I can't believe I have to Review on this. Every Sonic Fan weather it is the Classic or Modern Sonic Fans, It is really bad. The positive is the Spin Dash, a Save Feature and the Concept. Everything Else fails badly. Loads of Glitches, Bad Sound like Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, The Jonas Bros and Rebbecca Black, Awful Controls and Abysmal Gameplay. End of Story. Do not buy this game instead get Sonic Classic Collection for the DS or SEGA Genesis Collection for the PSP. Expand
  8. May 28, 2014
    Oh god, what the hell happened here, how can transform one of the best platformers ever made, into a travesty that can't even support moving text without lagging like hell, not to mention glitches that put Sonic 06 to shame, a frame rate like a PowerPoint presentation running at half-speed, and music that makes Shadow the Hedgehog sound like a masterpiece in sound design, hugely disappointing!
  9. May 23, 2015
    Here we are with Sonic Genesis for the Game Boy Advance. Why did this port have to be so awful?! The GBA is perfectly capable of running 16 bit games. This could've been a decent port. Why did Sega have to shun themselves with this filth?! The framerate in this game is the worst that I've ever seen. The music and sound effects are ear-bleeding abhorrent and obnoxious. The controls are soHere we are with Sonic Genesis for the Game Boy Advance. Why did this port have to be so awful?! The GBA is perfectly capable of running 16 bit games. This could've been a decent port. Why did Sega have to shun themselves with this filth?! The framerate in this game is the worst that I've ever seen. The music and sound effects are ear-bleeding abhorrent and obnoxious. The controls are so stiff that it feels like I'm trying to control a steamroller. The deaths are frequent and are oftentimes cheap shots and not even remotely fair. Also anniversary mode only includes the spindash and nothing more which just adds to the steaming dungpile of port that this is. Sonic 06', Sonic Free Riders, Shadow The Hedgehog, and even Sonic Boom were EONS BETTER THAN THIS!!!!! If Sega makes another game like this ever again I'm gonna stick my nuts in a wood-chipper!!! This is the WORST Sonic Game of all time!! Final Score 12/100 Expand
  10. Loki
    Aug 28, 2009
    I can't understand how this game managed to get released... Worst Sonic game ever! How could Sega and Sonic Team let this disgraceful, horrible excuse for a port see the? light of day? On a scale of 1-10, I give it a 0. Although, on the bright side, I was so outraged by this game that I went on eBay and bought Sonic Jam. Not to mention it got me interested in the series again. But still....
  11. SqueM.
    Nov 5, 2007
    The game sucks and should have never be released on the GBA. Next, try to port it on a stronger system. For a 32-bit system with a 16-bit game, I've learned that even 32-bit system can't even handle this crappy port. SEGA, try to port it on a stronger system than the GBA, it seems the GBA can't even handle a Genesis game.
  12. MatC.
    Jul 18, 2007
    Just terrible. Lag, glitches, and screen size render this game almost unplayable.
  13. Jan 19, 2014
    A god awful and down right offensive port of a great game. It's glitchy, laggy, It sounds and sounds horrible.

The story is exactly the same as sonic 1, so I do not have any problems here. The gameplay is awful, when you start up the game you have two options, Original and Anniversary, the only difference between the two is that in anniversary mode you have a spin dash. Which works I

The story is exactly the same as sonic 1, so I do not have any problems here.

The gameplay is awful, when you start up the game you have two options, Original and Anniversary, the only difference between the two is that in anniversary mode you have a spin dash. Which works I guess. But the levels in Sonic 1 were not design with the spin dash in mind, so I find it to be a pointless addition. The game itself is too zoomed in, the screen focuses to much on sonic. The game also lags like crazy. even when nothing is happening on screen, it will just slow down. The game is also glitchy, you die from standing on platforms occasionally. And the collision detection is wonky as all hell. and that is only a small portion of the glitches you will run into.

The graphics, if you are looking at a still frame. Look fine, but as soon as you see it moving it really unpleasant, due to the slowdown.

The music is horrid, and it is not the GBA's fault, Sonic Advance showed us that the GBA could have good remixes of Sonic 1 tracks. So what the hell happened here?

Overall this is the worst version of sonic 1 you could possibly play, if you want sonic 1 with the spindash go get a rom hack off of sonic retro. or if you want to be official, buy the Sonic Jam compilation on the Sega Saturn. Don't play this version.

OVERALL-
  14. May 19, 2014
    this game is very bad and i fell aleep while playing very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very bad
  15. Nov 12, 2014
    Wow! Is it even appropriate to consider this "THING" a game. I mean It makes Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) look like Super Mario Galaxy 2. Even if your a GBA/DS owner who is a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan, I recommend you don't get this game unless you plan on getting every single Sonic game possible.
  16. Dec 23, 2014
    Horrible piece of CRAP I never owned this nor will I ever I've seen the reviews, this is NOT the port you want. Buy the iOS, android, XBLA, PSN, STEAM port. or 3DS port, which I got and is FANTASTIC!!! 2006 was a bad year for this hedgehog, I thought the dreaded sonic 06 abused him enough that year already! -in other words, AVOID.

1. I truly am blown away by how terrible this port turned out to be.
  2. Considering that "Sonic Mega Collection" for GCN already boasts a perfect version of the original Sonic, this game is a bit of a tough sell, but at least the inclusion of the 'hogs trademark Spin Dash adds some appeal. [Jan. 2007, p.112]
  3. There are a few minor twists in the Anniversary Mode, such as the ability to use the Spin Dash that was introduced later in the series, but none of it matters when the fundamentals are so thoroughly screwed. [Dec. 2006, p.92]