Spider-Man: Mysterio's Menace Game Boy Advance

8.7

1. WesleyW.
    Nov 6, 2003
    One of the best 2-D action games ever created and the 2nd best spidey game ever only to the first spidey on Playstation. Tremendous fun, longer that most games in the genre with replay value, and very addictive. The polygonal spiderman moves very smoothly and looks incredibly slick. Must have for any GBA owner.
  2. Jun 16, 2016
    One of the best looking games on GBA, also probably the game that has best music on the GBA too, difficulty settings for all kinds of gamers, best combat in a 2D Spider-Man game, a must have for every Spider-Man fan, the only downside is that the game is too short.
  3. May 14, 2014
    I've been playing video games for 14 years now and my mom got me a Game Boy Advance when I was 7 and Spider Man: Mysterio's Menace to go with it which was my very first video game and I had no idea what it was when my mom handed it to me I'm like what's this? lol! I've been a very regular video game consumer ever since! This is an old game but I still remember playing it, the story wasI've been playing video games for 14 years now and my mom got me a Game Boy Advance when I was 7 and Spider Man: Mysterio's Menace to go with it which was my very first video game and I had no idea what it was when my mom handed it to me I'm like what's this? lol! I've been a very regular video game consumer ever since! This is an old game but I still remember playing it, the story was good, the graphics and levels were amazing, the graphics look dating by todays standards but for a platformer it has really good level graphics, the music is good and the game was a lot of fun to play. But I continuously played it for years and never did beat it I don't know whether I was bad a video games at the time or if the game was difficult, I'd say it had moderate difficulty. But I do really miss playing Mysterio's Menace I wish they would re-release it on Nintendo 3DS. But if you still have a Game Boy Advance get this! Expand
  4. Spidey
    Aug 13, 2004
    Short. but sweet.
  5. Aug 3, 2016
    A side-scrolling, beat 'em up platformer that gives you control of all of Spider-Man's wall-crawling and web-slinging abilities. The surprising part is that it makes them all work well on the GBA's limited controls. Very well in fact.

It's a really nice companion piece to the two PS1 Spider-Man games. It's developed by the same people behind "Enter Electro" on consoles, Vicarious Visions, and you'll notice some reoccurring features. They once again show that they know how to handle the character. The plot isn't much speak of, but features a small handful of classic Spider-Man villains and one pretty obscure one that hardcore comic fans will get a kick out of. I know I did.

The game has you punching your way through colorful goons with excellent combat. I can't praise the controls enough. As someone who experienced the frustration of one of the Spider-Man games on the original Game Boy, I was pleasantly surprised to see how well wall-crawling and web-slinging were handled even though they were mapped to the same button, which is also used for jumping.

I never had any issue getting the character to do what I wanted, when I wanted it. A big problem with those original Game Boy Spider-Man games was that you would often find yourself unable to get Spider-Man to work with you. The frustrating controls would lead to moments where he either wouldn't do what you wanted him to, or do it randomly when it wasn't necessary. That was never an issue in Mysterio's Menace, and that's part of the reason it succeeds.

It also succeeds just to how darn fun it is. Excellent level design, cool boss fights, and satisfying action all around ensure you'll be having a lot of fun. So if Mysterio's Menace the perfect game? Unfortunately not. It has the very noticeable issue of length. There just isn't much of this game to go around.

With a mere 7 levels the game goes by before you know it. This is one of those portable experiences that can be beaten in one sitting. Yet, the highly replayable nature too the game makes that issue a bit more forgiving.

The only other issue I can think of is that the game uses a password system instead of saving. Memorizing codes in order to continue from where you left off isn't hard though. They are all mercifully short. Given that the game is as well, it's something that's easier to overlook.

Not even some instant pit deaths can slow this game down. With all around excellent design and near-perfect handling of the Spider-Man character make this a game any fan of the webhead should play. With multiple difficulties you can pick just what kind of challenge you are looking for and add to the replay value. Not even some instant pit deaths, which irritate the crap out of me in other games, can slow Spider-Man down. It's an excellent GBA and Spider-Man title that I highly recommend.

#12 Most Discussed Game Boy Advance Game of 2001

It offers an imaginative, well-conceived design wrapped up in a very pretty package.
    The game captures the proper feel of the webhead, and it's definitely the best side-scrolling action game starring the classic Marvel superhero.
  3. [It] has a steep learning curve and isn't terribly lengthy, but outside of these main gripes, it is also a solid platform for Marvel's Spider-Man character.