1080: Avalanche GameCube

7.9

1. LucaR.
    Nov 30, 2003
    Superb snowboarding game, for me, better than ssx 3.
  2. R.W
    Jul 30, 2005
    Too many ppl are going on about how 1080 is short and doesnt have enough tricks. there are 15 grabs in total and 4 spins/flips. but when u combine these you get all sorts of combos so it doesnt feel like there's not enough for me at all. the moves are awesome. also, the games length (in terms of beating the match races) doesnt take too long like everyone says BUT that doesnt mean you Too many ppl are going on about how 1080 is short and doesnt have enough tricks. there are 15 grabs in total and 4 spins/flips. but when u combine these you get all sorts of combos so it doesnt feel like there's not enough for me at all. the moves are awesome. also, the games length (in terms of beating the match races) doesnt take too long like everyone says BUT that doesnt mean you have finished the game. theres lots of other stuff to do like the trick modes, time trials and unlocking extra boards, and its heaps fun. plus its not like you get bored of each course once you've played it already. 1080 is different to ssx3 but i prefer 1080 more because its a lot more realistic and is what you call a true snowboarding game, unlike ssx3 where you do real unrealistic moves that sorta ruins the snowboarding feel. what makes 1080 special though is the fact that its the sequal to the N64 version of 1080 which was a great game...so if you liked the original, 1080 avalanche will bring back the good old memories from the moment you start it up and choose your character like ricky winterborn. to me ssx3 just feels like a gimicky snowboarding game but 1080 is a solid awesome looking game that shouldnt be missed. in the end, 1080 seems to be the most oringal and unique. ive played many other snowboarding games out there and they dont feel as special. Expand
  3. SMalldude
    Feb 5, 2004
    The critics who say SSX is better, go jump off a cliff. If u say the soundtrack sucks,listen 2 the SSX3 soundtrack, thats what i thought. 1080 avalanche rules the competition, it is one of the best racing games ever invented. Everything in it is amazing. The only flaws: more tricks need to be added, and more multiplayer options like a vs trick attack. Oya i fergot it has 1!!!!! play the The critics who say SSX is better, go jump off a cliff. If u say the soundtrack sucks,listen 2 the SSX3 soundtrack, thats what i thought. 1080 avalanche rules the competition, it is one of the best racing games ever invented. Everything in it is amazing. The only flaws: more tricks need to be added, and more multiplayer options like a vs trick attack. Oya i fergot it has 1!!!!! play the 1player trick attack, then play it over again with another player. Unless u wanna go in2 sum sort of LAN wiring thing, thats what u have. 1080 kicks SSX3 Badly!!! Expand
  4. Kaim
    Aug 14, 2004
    Do the people ragging on this game actually like racers in general? ... this is plain fun. Nintendo head a small group of developers actually aiming to make make fun games. Because thats what games are all about. My hat goes off to Ubisoft also.... and dont forget Free Radical.
  5. LisaW.
    Feb 20, 2006
    I LOVE this game! It is probably the best snow boarding game in the century! It beats SSX by a mile! If your looking for a challenging, action packed game......this is the game for you. The music choice is great, it had me singin' along! The Graphics are fantastic and the details of the game characters made me wonder if these people where real boarders? (Ricky is my favorite).
  6. Mike
    Dec 14, 2003
    A lot of reviewers are hating on this game just because it tries to do something different. That makes me angry. Here we have a game that actually tries some innovation in the quickly becoming stale extreme sports genre, and all the reviewers jump on it for not being enough like SSX or any of the other hundreds of extreme sports games out there. Some reviewers(like Gamepro, Nintendo A lot of reviewers are hating on this game just because it tries to do something different. That makes me angry. Here we have a game that actually tries some innovation in the quickly becoming stale extreme sports genre, and all the reviewers jump on it for not being enough like SSX or any of the other hundreds of extreme sports games out there. Some reviewers(like Gamepro, Nintendo Power, Cube UK, and more) have decided to actually look at the qualities of the game, instead of complaining about how different it is, and how it doesnt do "feature x" like "feature y" in SSX. This is a racing game. If you dont want a racing game, and instead want to trick, then get SSX. But if you're getting tired of the same old, same old in the extreme sports genre, 1080 might be for you. The sense of speed in this game is unbeatable. Even all those futuristic races like Wipeout and F Zero that have you going at over 1000 kmph dont compare. Thats not to say you go faster than in those games. You dont. But the exhiliration you get from the speed in this game is unbeatable. The controls are simple, and intuitive, but reveal alot of depth. The trick system is easy to use, but thankfully, you arent forced to use it in order to win. There are several great tracks, and you can replay all of them with different weather affects that dramatically effect gameplay. There are some nice unlockables. The character designs are great, and you'll love all of them. 1080 isnt for everyone. But for the people that are willing to give a try to something new, you'll enjoy it very much. The snowboarding king is back, better than ever. To put it simply: This is the best Gamecube game since Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Expand
  7. DarrenB.
    Dec 2, 2003
    Go dude!
  8. RogerG.
    Dec 7, 2003
    Reallly good game! Single Player is fun, but multiplayer is much funnier! Snowboarding game of the year.
  9. Ivan
    Jan 14, 2004
    This game is a great game, but you don-t have to beat it... You have to beat yourself, to destroy your limit. I taste the same feelings when i ride here in Italy. Bye and don-t compare it with ssx3, they are two quite different gamez.
  10. MrNintendo
    Jun 25, 2008
    This game is still the number 1 snowboarding game! I just bought SSX Blur for the Wii and my god it's so damn slow compared to 1080. So I sold it and am just playing 1080 Avalanche on my Wii instead. It's so much better and much more realistic. The sense of speed makes the game a real rush. I just couldn't stand how slow SSX is not to mention the real bouncy feel when This game is still the number 1 snowboarding game! I just bought SSX Blur for the Wii and my god it's so damn slow compared to 1080. So I sold it and am just playing 1080 Avalanche on my Wii instead. It's so much better and much more realistic. The sense of speed makes the game a real rush. I just couldn't stand how slow SSX is not to mention the real bouncy feel when turning. If you have a Wii get 1080 Avalanche now! Expand
  11. MarkW.
    Nov 27, 2003
    This is the most exciting snowboarding game around.
  12. PatrickdeJong
    Dec 3, 2003
    This game owns!
  13. Marcj.
    Dec 4, 2003
    Don't believe bad critics. This game is a true gem that reveals itself once Extreme mode is unlocked. Gate Challenge allows a fantastic replay value. Some reviewers must hate Nintendo to post such bad reviews on 1080°. This game deserves to be played and played again, believe me :-) I love it
  14. KevinF.
    Dec 26, 2003
    It's very good, but not a classic.
  15. J.Baker
    Dec 29, 2003
    1080 gets 10 all the way. I've played the SSX games and I think they are overly exaggerated. Not a true feel like 1080. Not that SSX isn't a good game but I prefer 1080. Also, everyone keeps calling 1080 a racing game, which is part right but I spend more time doing tricks then anything. I think some might prefer SSX because it's so easy to do the tricks where 1080 takes a 1080 gets 10 all the way. I've played the SSX games and I think they are overly exaggerated. Not a true feel like 1080. Not that SSX isn't a good game but I prefer 1080. Also, everyone keeps calling 1080 a racing game, which is part right but I spend more time doing tricks then anything. I think some might prefer SSX because it's so easy to do the tricks where 1080 takes a little more skill. These are my thoughts, play with what makes you happy. Expand
  16. Mar 17, 2012
    The game is very fun today in 2012, one of the most special game for GameCube, a good game, with good dificulty and great music tracks, and the multiplayer is very funny :)
  17. Sep 1, 2013
    AWESOME avalanches Duh 1080: AVALANCHE ).
    + Gate Challenge offers for more replay value.
    + Realistic and very fast racing. + Almost every single track has a pretty awesome atmosphere. But are a tad too short ). + You'll be coming back for more. *- Character models could've used some polish. *- Tricking falls flat compared to the competition. SSX, Amped ) *- Could use more
    AWESOME avalanches Duh 1080: AVALANCHE ).
    + Gate Challenge offers for more replay value.
    + Realistic and very fast racing.
    + You'll be coming back for more.

*- Character models could've used some polish.
    *- Tricking falls flat compared to the competition. SSX, Amped )
    *- Could use more variety in the soundtrack department.
    - Just 5 boarders They could've added Dion and Kensuke and another female boarder into the mix )
    - Barely any character customization. Just 3 skins per character and 5 character selected boards
    ( An SSX3 style character customization would've been so awesome).

* A very minor flaw or just something out of preference.

1080: Avalanche 7.75/10...
    1080 has some problems in the trick and extra character content department. But 1080 hits the perfect spots when it comes to the other three major aspects of the game. Match Race, Gate Challenge and of course Time Attack. And one more very important thing, it makes you want to play the game again and again and again...
  18. Sep 20, 2016
    A racing gem injusticed by the tricks trend that made SSX crowned by the media. If you're looking for tricks, look for SSX or Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. But if you're into sense of speed, fast-paced racing and amazing tracks, you should play this.
  19. Jul 25, 2016
    The game has great controls and great maps and great tricks. This is my favorite snowboarding game of all time and in metascore I would rate this a 92.
  20. Aug 11, 2017
    Score: 7.5/10 (Keep it)

Score: 7.5/10 (Keep it)

1080 Avalanche, unlike other snowboarding games from the early 2000’s (such as the better known SSX series), is a great game considering the amount of content that was given to the player. While the SSX3 and SSX Tricky put more of a focus on tricks and a more fantasy themed take on professional snowboarding, Avalanche keeps a semi-realistic theme and rather focuses on using speed and your knowledge of the courses in races. Damage meters and power bars are also included in some game modes, which keep the game from getting stale way too quickly. The damage meter is fairly straight forward, as the player can only be knocked down several times before the character retires from the race. The power meter on the other hand, encourages the player to find opportune times to perform tricks and fill up the meter. Once full, the player is given a quick recovery (in case the player is knocked down) or can be used to knock down an opponent. After either of these, the power meter depletes and can be refilled again. 1080 Avalanche from the box, comes with several different game modes, which I will explain in more detail.

Match Race: The campaign of the game, where the player goes through a set of races separated by different difficulties. Each race is against another character, as the player is given three lives to win each race and complete the final challenge in a new area. The player can lose a life by not beating the opponent, taking too much damage, or by failing the final challenge. These final challenges can be time focused or survival based, but can be a rewarding experience to each match race. While each match race can range in difficulty, completing one will unlock pass to the next match race, and completing certain match races will unlock alternative skins for each character.

Time Trial: Fairly similar to any time trial based game mode, with the exception of time trial coins. These coins can be earned by collecting all 5 shards in a single run on each level. Coin shards are spread out uniquely in each level (yes, even in completely different areas on mirror courses), which help the player become familiar with the course as they explore each map’s multiple paths and areas to find each shard. Collecting time trial coins will help to unlock boards for each character, which can range in stats and performance. While some of these coins can be incredibly difficult to obtain, not every token needs to be collected, as collecting all 18 tokens unlocks an alternative design for every character board.
    Trick Attack: This game mode focuses on the trick system, where the player is given three unique courses to get the highest score possible. Due to the limited and more difficult trick system, as well as the focus on chaining grabs into combos for points, trick attack falls short compared to the rest of the game, but can be fun if you find this trick system more enjoyable compared to the highly fantasized trick systems in other snowboarding games.

Gate Attack: The game’s version of slalom racing, with players trying to navigate around and clear gates within the time limit. This game mode can be considered completely optional, but it provides a fun challenge trying to beat each high score, which requires clearing as many gates as possible as quickly as possible. Collecting high-score trophies from each level can unlock “special” boards that can be used by any character. Getting all 18 trophies unlocks what can be considered the best board in the game, which comes with a boost function, and can be used to get through the much more difficult matches later in the game.
    Multiplayer: Players can race against each other, using split-screen for up to four players, and LAN to have races of up to 16 players.

While the game is fairly short, and can be completed in a few hours if a player is skilled enough. It provides a more realistic and fast paced racing twist to the snowboarding genre, and rewards players who complete the more optional parts of the game with alternative costumes, boards/board skins, and special boards. At the same time, the game does not punish those who chose not to seek after these alternative costumes and boards, but it can be a great challenge if the player decides to not try and unlock any of the boards. The soundtrack of the game is fantastic, with each song mixed perfectly to not repeat too much, and the player can select a song of their choice at the loading scene if they do not prefer the track’s song. Due to its smaller amount of content, the replayability suffers a bit; However, the game is much more fun to replay with others in multiplayer, or if you unlock the special boards, including the final special board. This board’s boost function to me gives 1080 Avalanche a higher replay value, as it provides a more entertaining way to get through each race and can lead to even more strategies for the player.

#16 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2003
#15 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2003

1. Weekly Famitsu
    7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - 28 [Vol 788; 23 Jan 2004]
  2. Edge Magazine
    Avalanche imparts the varying depths of snow, anything from sheet ice to knee-deep drifts, much better than its nearest rivals. Crouching for speed, leaping precipices and then absorbing the shock upon landing is a majestic sensation only bettered by the original. [Feb 2004, p.104]
  3. We can't recommend this game enough. If it's an adrenalin rush you're after, then 1080° Avalanche could be the snowboarding rush you've dreamed of. From Nintendo, with Love.