8.6

1. Jan 19, 2011
    This game will scare you. I didn't believe it was possible to feel so much fear and despair while playing a game. I don't think any other horror game past or present has even come close to this one. A classic.
  2. Mar 12, 2013
    The game opens with Alexandra Roivas discovering that her grandfather's body has just been found in his mansion, bloodied and torn apart. With the local police unable to uncover any clues regarding the murder, she decides to take matters into her own hands and investigate the mansion and that’s when the tale of Eternal Darkness truly begins.

Played now the graphics and combat system,
    while still more than adequate, are slightly outdated but developer Silicon Knights psychological thriller still stands amongst the GameCube’s best. This is in large part to its era spanning storyline that sees the player take control of characters ranging from a Roman Centurion to a hunter from the 1980’s. I won’t spoil the plot here but suffice to say they are all connected. Another of the game’s masterstrokes is the use of ‘insanity effects’. Should the players sanity bar drop to low all manner of strange things will start to occur, many of which have an effect on the gameplay.

It may now be more than ten years old but those who own a Wii and are looking for something new to play could do a lot worse than picking up Eternal Darkness.
  3. Oct 27, 2011
    nice and original residentevil esque game
    very good story and solid smooth graphics, easy controls and lots of characters to play with
    great game for 2002
  4. May 28, 2012
    This game was okay. Over rated I think.
  5. Mar 29, 2013
    A truly remarkable game for it's time. Probably one of the most original games I've ever played. Visuals are OK for the most part, but not as good as they could be. Voice acting is very good, narrative is a bit confusing but pretty good (provided you get what's going on.) Atmosphere is truly where this game shines. A true horror game that does everything it can to mess with your mind. Overall: Eternal Darkness is truly a unique game that really can not be fairly compared with anything else, but if I had to try, I would say that it is a cross between Alone in the Dark and Amnesia. A great game and an unforgettable experience, but it could have use a little brushing up in terms of the visuals. Expand
  6. Apr 21, 2013
    This is an artform, video games are art? The vast majority aren't, but this... this is art.
    +The storytelling is done so compellingly, the story itself and the themes it covers are very lovecraftian, it essentially is like a lovecraft story in all but name.
    +You experience the past, through the eyes of others throughout history. You come will see a evil so terrible and far stretching
    that you will have the context to truly understand how scary the ancient object is that you've found.
    +It's essentially survival horror in a dark gothic setting... yet its control scheme is SOooo good. Its very easy to use yet gives a very good level of control.
    +Sanity, this is so well implemented gameplay element, its ridiculous that no other game out there has copied it yet!! It makes the sanity system in Amnesia look pathetic, think Call of Cthulhu where seeing frightening scenes & linger around them to long decreases your sanity but the system goes above and beyond what you think. You're sanity level affects the game in subtle ways, strange things will start happening (not right away) but you'll notice weird things that it actually messes with not just your character, but you the player. What I mean is you will start to doubt your own sanity... I am not you.
    It's that good.
    +Fear, yes its scary without having to use jump scares. Its the hallmark of a good horror game & you should have already guessed by now that this game knows how to play with your imagination and use it against you. There might be 1 or 2 jump scares but it's almost out of place in this masterful tale of horror.
    +I could go on about puzzles and the voice acting, it's all so well done... the one thing I want more for this game than any other is for someone to port this baby to the PC. This game deserves to be remembered and played long after gamecube's a distant memory.
  7. Sep 7, 2013
    This game managed to create a scary overall atmosphere, yet always made me want to explore every dark corner of all the featured locations. Plot, fighting system, music, sound effects,... everything's top notch. There's only one little flaw: The enemies get quite difficult very soon and you might find yourself frustrated every now and then in the early parts of the game.
  8. Jan 25, 2014
    Simply a masterpiece. The psychological horror elements are top notch. Gameplay, plot and character development are amazing. This is a deep, well polished game that everyone should enjoy

Developers of 3D games should study the camerawork in "Eternal Darkness." It's quite simply a stunning technical achievement.
  2. All of this delightful action and horror comes wrapped in a bone-chilling soundtrack with enough chanting and "what the hell was that?" sound effects to sen dyou running for the light switch. [Aug 2002, p.62]
    From cover to cover this game was full of originality.