8.7

1. Dec 26, 2014
    Easily one of the best horror games of all time. It has an insanity bar, just like a health bar, and I highly suggest trying out losing your mind. I cant wait for a remastered version.
  2. Jan 19, 2011
    This game will scare you. I didn't believe it was possible to feel so much fear and despair while playing a game. I don't think any other horror game past or present has even come close to this one. A classic.
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    This is an artform, video games are art? The vast majority aren't, but this... this is art.
    +The storytelling is done so compellingly, the story itself and the themes it covers are very lovecraftian, it essentially is like a lovecraft story in all but name.
    +You experience the past, through the eyes of others throughout history. You come will see a evil so terrible and far stretching that you will have the context to truly understand how scary the ancient object is that you've found.
    +It's essentially survival horror in a dark gothic setting... yet its control scheme is SOooo good. Its very easy to use yet gives a very good level of control.
    +Sanity, this is so well implemented gameplay element, its ridiculous that no other game out there has copied it yet!! It makes the sanity system in Amnesia look pathetic, think Call of Cthulhu where seeing frightening scenes & linger around them to long decreases your sanity but the system goes above and beyond what you think. You're sanity level affects the game in subtle ways, strange things will start happening (not right away) but you'll notice weird things that it actually messes with not just your character, but you the player. What I mean is you will start to doubt your own sanity... I am not you.
    It's that good.
    +Fear, yes its scary without having to use jump scares. Its the hallmark of a good horror game & you should have already guessed by now that this game knows how to play with your imagination and use it against you. There might be 1 or 2 jump scares but it's almost out of place in this masterful tale of horror.
    +I could go on about puzzles and the voice acting, it's all so well done... the one thing I want more for this game than any other is for someone to port this baby to the PC. This game deserves to be remembered and played long after gamecube's a distant memory.
  4. Jan 25, 2014
    Simply a masterpiece. The psychological horror elements are top notch. Gameplay, plot and character development are amazing. This is a deep, well polished game that everyone should enjoy
  5. Jun 28, 2014
    With a detailed story and psychological horror elements that keep the player on edge, this is one of the best Gamecube titles out there. Eternal Darkness is arguably the greatest horror game I have ever played, and that is no exaggeration.
  6. May 7, 2015
    I played Eternal Darkness about 1 year ago. Unfortunately I never got a GameCube, so I used to play it with the well-known Dolphin emulator. I was curious to try a few games for the GameCube, and I knew the fame and prestige that Eternal Darkness has, so I decided to start playing it.

In my opinion the plot of Eternal Darkness is strange, but especially beautiful. I loved a lot the time gap from one era to another throughout the history and events of humanity, and amazingly all the stories will have a final perfect consistency. The characters are very well characterized, and each of them has a story to tell. Another thing that struck me is the atmosphere: I am not a big reader, but is palpable the reference to works of H.P. Lovecraft's literature and mythology, as the Ancients, the occult, spirituality, madness. Beautiful also the ending: a cruel but true reality of how human life is influenced by events older and greater than it, and how mysterious forces manipulate its fate. It is an anti-anthropocentric story: the man is in the universe, but not in its center, in other words.

Like the plot, although the gameplay of Eternal Darkness is extraordinary. The first thing that catches one's eye is the special combat system: you can actually decide where to hit the target, to the head, to the body, or to the arms or legs, and according to the type of enemy the attack will have more or less effect. The combat system is in fact impeccably, and it must be considered the wide range of weapons available, from melee weapons to firearms, ancient and modern, and regardless of type of weapons the combat system is fun and structured. The use of magic with the special book not only allows you to perform powerful attacks but also to enchant weapons, or to interact with the environment to uncover secrets. Some types of spells need to be created by the player, through the combination of the runes. Among other things, the manner in which spells are related to each other by color, is a whole order of the strengths and weaknesses of the Ancients, and each color reflects the kind of power of the god. However what makes Eternal Darkness truly original is the indicator of mental sanity. Yes, because let's be honest: Eternal Darkness may be frightening, but not a lot. However the character's sanity, indicated by a green bar, it may decrease during the game and when it is empty the game begins to give birth to strange consequences: the heads of the statues that move, blood dripping from the walls, parts of the body that fall without a reason and many others. All this, beyond if the game is scary or not, surely leaves the player with his mouth open, because of unpredictability of events, and I personally found the addition of this expedient in the gameplay something simply brilliant. A special note for the battle against the final boss, that is beautiful and challenging. Really the gameplay of Eternal Darkness is beautiful, original and fun. It is as it should be the gameplay of each good game. If I have to say something that I didn't like some puzzles are a bit too frustrating and inconsistent, but they are relatively few compared to others.

From a technical point of view, Eternal Darkness maybe not excel, but still boasts a pretty good graphics and well made in 2002, especially considering that the game was originally designed for Nintendo 64. A very nice soundtrack too. Speaking of my experience with the emulator Dolphin, Eternal Darkness is the game that gave me less trouble: 50 frames, few bugs, and an exceptional stability.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is a great game, well made, balanced and original. A masterpiece of thriller and horror and surely a killer app of the GameCube, and one of the best games of the early 2000s.
  7. Oct 27, 2011
    nice and original residentevil esque game
    very good story and solid smooth graphics, easy controls and lots of characters to play with
    great game for 2002
  8. Sep 7, 2013
    This game managed to create a scary overall atmosphere, yet always made me want to explore every dark corner of all the featured locations. Plot, fighting system, music, sound effects,... everything's top notch. There's only one little flaw: The enemies get quite difficult very soon and you might find yourself frustrated every now and then in the early parts of the game.

Developers of 3D games should study the camerawork in "Eternal Darkness." It's quite simply a stunning technical achievement.
  2. All of this delightful action and horror comes wrapped in a bone-chilling soundtrack with enough chanting and "what the hell was that?" sound effects to sen dyou running for the light switch. [Aug 2002, p.62]
    From cover to cover this game was full of originality.