Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance GameCube

8.9

1. Nov 10, 2011
    Awesome, but mainly trying to balance out the stupid 0/10 for not being a handheld. The game reintroduces aspects from sacred war (abilities). The maps are great. The characters are very lovable.
  2. GamerLlama
    Sep 22, 2007
    I've played all three Fire Emblems that are out in English, and I have to say this is my favorite one. I can't see why people complain about bad graphics. Yes, the enemy minions are obviously recycled models, yes the maps are slightly dull when you're viewing them bird's eye view. But the cut scenes are beautiful and 2D artwork is extremely colorful and well detailed. I've played all three Fire Emblems that are out in English, and I have to say this is my favorite one. I can't see why people complain about bad graphics. Yes, the enemy minions are obviously recycled models, yes the maps are slightly dull when you're viewing them bird's eye view. But the cut scenes are beautiful and 2D artwork is extremely colorful and well detailed. True, if characters die they're gone forever. Which I learned the hard way. As frustrating it is when a character dies, it also forces you to not only think about completing the level but also for the long term as well. Some levels can be easily beaten at the cost of losing a valuable character which might help you out in another level; so you're forced to decide whether the sacrifice is worth avoiding the harder way. There were a couple of improvements from the Gameboy games here. The first is the merchant convoy that comes around level 8. No longer will you have to worry about being forced to chuck good items because your character can't hold any more--the merchants will now carry your items for you. No longer will you have to make a risky manuver to visit a shop/armory in the middle of the battlefield--the merchant handle this too. Secret shops are gone, but your character will promote automatically after level 20 anyway and Master Seals can give almost any promotable character an early promotion. Thieves can steal unequipped weapons too--and these weapons no longer have to be ones that would be dropped anyway. Support conversations are now held between battles. Which is nice, because you can actually relax and enjoy them and not stress about wasting valuable turns for social iteraction. The laguz--people that can change into animals to fight, are also a great addition. The story line is engaging and filled with plot twists that will keep you engaged long after you've beaten the game 20 times over like I have. Every level is an important to the plot of the story--you are not sent on pointless missions that are included just to drag out the game. The game takes a long time to beat but nothing is a waste of time. Unless you're not a fan of the turn based system. But frankly, the game is addicting enough without button mashing. It also makes the game more fun for the non hardcore gamers out there who just want to sit down and enjoy a game without having to train their reflexes. Expand
  3. Jan 11, 2011
    i loved all three gba games, and at first i hated this game due to the slow and uninspired battle animations. after giving it a second chance 5 years after its release i actually really like the game. the animations are still poor, so i turned them off which speeds the game up and makes it more enjoyable in most situations, although ikes aether animation is sweet! i found th game just asi loved all three gba games, and at first i hated this game due to the slow and uninspired battle animations. after giving it a second chance 5 years after its release i actually really like the game. the animations are still poor, so i turned them off which speeds the game up and makes it more enjoyable in most situations, although ikes aether animation is sweet! i found th game just as good as the other three ive played, although i didnt particularly like the addition of animal units, they dont evolve and are just abit boring in comparison to human units, so i didnt really use them. overall a really nice game, and worth the expensive price now adays, i payed £30 for it, and i dont regret it :) Collapse
  4. May 27, 2012
    Wonderful game overall. I was worried because the Fire Emblem games seemed to recycle a lot of things from their older games, but this game has brought so many new things to the table and still keep some of the things we love about Fire Emblem! The 3D animations were well done, although they were a tad long and the story is unlike anything I've seen before! A must have for RPG lovers!
  5. Oct 21, 2012
    My personal favorite for reasons I cannot comprehend. Maybe I just like the Gamecube, maybe it's what it added to the franchise, Ike, or the story. But regardless, this is a FE game your gaming library isn't complete without.
  6. Sep 9, 2013
    Now and then I get the urge to play an older game for nostalgia and to see what I missed back in the day. So this review is from 2013, but I'm trying to think with a mind of the past to be fair.

When compared to other games in the genre, I feel PoR is more linear, less customizable and less complex than other grid TRPGS(tactical role-playing games), like say Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea. It's by no means a bad game, but it is rather simple and straightforward.

For a novice to the genre, it's probably a good starter. For veterans of the genre, I would pass this one over unless you're just completely out of unplayed TRPGs.
  7. Mar 25, 2014
    Great game, great series.

If you like Awakening, Path of Radiance offers a richer, deeper experience. The map design is far superior to Awakening, and the story is a lot less contrived.

Give it a chance.
  8. CraigM.
    Oct 19, 2005
    Better on the GBA. Same game, but portable.
  9. MiveyS.
    Dec 14, 2006
    It couldn't get any better than this I have every one of the games I would kill someone who insulted fire emblem.
  10. Nov 6, 2013
    Epic story, amazingly interesting and relative characters, great RPG gameplay. Only big drawback is it's graphics that seem low budget (except from the cutscenes of course). 8.7/10
  11. Mar 11, 2015
    Amazing game, has a kind of "handheld" feel though. The tactical system is a bit simplier than than the one in Awakening, but the plot is definitely much more immersive.
    As my second FE title I found it a bit easier than Awakening (normal, p.d.-on) so I may assume the game can be a great starting point for newcomers,
  12. Nov 20, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. kfhasdkljfhasdjklfhaskldjfhaskljfhasjklfhasjklfhasjklghasjklgfhasdjklfhasljkfhasdjfhsd bfasdjkfasjkhfjkasfnsdk fsdjkafhasdjkf basdfjkashdfjklashfljkasfhasjlfasfas Expand
  13. VidM.
    Jan 4, 2006
    I haven't enjoyed a TRPG this much since the orginal FFT. Great battles, story, and characters. I would have liked to see more of the Gamecube's potential used, but TRPGs generally don't use the full power of a system.
  14. MikeG.
    Nov 10, 2005
    My favorite FE game out of the three so far. There's no greater satisfaction than fully leveling several characters and watching them own the map :)
  15. TheKnife
    Oct 20, 2005
    Except for a lack of music or effects during dialogue this is a great game. some reviewers seem to be put off by the difficulty, but I think blaming the graphics is weak. they are, obviously, a huge step up from the GBA (not quite Tales of Symphonia, but nice) and of course the gameplay is the same. it is a sequel. I would be pissed if they turned it into battallion wars or another TalesExcept for a lack of music or effects during dialogue this is a great game. some reviewers seem to be put off by the difficulty, but I think blaming the graphics is weak. they are, obviously, a huge step up from the GBA (not quite Tales of Symphonia, but nice) and of course the gameplay is the same. it is a sequel. I would be pissed if they turned it into battallion wars or another Tales game. I play this for mind-bending strategy, and the rendered cutscenes are quite spectacular. Expand
  16. CarcasGalatic
    Jan 8, 2006
    I was so glad when I herd one was coming out for Game Cube but i was majorly disopointed. Graphics are terrible. I actully rate this game one point lower than the ones out for game boy. The story line is the only real good part.
  17. PabloR.
    Feb 18, 2006
    Really good. I have to say it was a lot better than i had expected when i first got it. The great and wonderful story line keeps you wanting to play every mission. IT also brings very good realistic characters and levels. Only 1 bad thing, dont lose any of your characters, u'll regret it.
  18. CloudS.
    Mar 13, 2006
    This was the best fire emblem title yet, with stunning graphics, this game was soo cool.
  19. AGuy
    Apr 15, 2006
    worth every penny you spend one of the best games ever.
  20. BrianS.
    Apr 5, 2007
    The great storyline and superb art make up for the graphics as always.
  21. ParishH.
    Oct 17, 2005
    I am a huge fan of the fireemblem series and from my opinion after playing this game i can only say wow! Intelligent games has realy outdone themselves.
  22. SeanS.
    Apr 12, 2006
    Out of all 9 Fire Emblem games, this is one of, if not the best. PoR has what it undoubtedly the best story of any game in the series, and quite possibly the best story ever told in ANY video game. With it's huge cast of fully-realized characters, incredible story, intuitive, yet deep gameplay, and epic soundtrack, PoR is not only one of the best games on the Cube, but one of the Out of all 9 Fire Emblem games, this is one of, if not the best. PoR has what it undoubtedly the best story of any game in the series, and quite possibly the best story ever told in ANY video game. With it's huge cast of fully-realized characters, incredible story, intuitive, yet deep gameplay, and epic soundtrack, PoR is not only one of the best games on the Cube, but one of the best games ever. Expand
  23. BobM.
    Oct 22, 2007
    This game gives you a challenge at every corner. the guiding wind level was HARD not to die, give equal amount of experience and defend the base. it is a very challenging game.
  24. KevinB.
    Jan 3, 2007
    Easily the most addicting game since Animal Crossing. I'm currently working on my 5th time through and plan to do it many more times. A must have for any Gamecube owner.
  25. AdamF.
    Mar 28, 2007
    The thing that really nails this game is that the gameplay is so addicting it borders on unnatural. You can play through the main game 10 times (which you actually have to do to unlock all bonus characters) and still have as much fun as always because of the brilliantly designed maps, variety of challenges, 40 something playable characters, and a storyline so good that you could make a The thing that really nails this game is that the gameplay is so addicting it borders on unnatural. You can play through the main game 10 times (which you actually have to do to unlock all bonus characters) and still have as much fun as always because of the brilliantly designed maps, variety of challenges, 40 something playable characters, and a storyline so good that you could make a movie out of it. My only complaint is that if any character dies, they are gone for the rest of the game. I know it adds realism and challenge to the game, but playing through a huge level only to have some random enemy kill one of your allies is one of the most frustrating things in gaming. If you're ok with this, thought, this game is just plain awesome. Expand
  26. PeterH.
    Nov 22, 2005
    this is the best strategy game ive ever played. ive never had to work so hard to complete a level.
  27. AlexK.
    Oct 17, 2005
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is definitely one of the best games I've ever plain. The sound, gameplay, and story are perfectly executed. If your a fan of Fire Emblem games, then this game will not disappoint. If you are new to the series it is a great place to start due to the difficulty selection. This game will keep you playing for hours.
  28. IasiO.
    Oct 25, 2005
    While it is a similar experience to the portable titles, there is enough to warrant this title for the Gamecube over the Gameboy Advance.
  29. DivineMyth
    Oct 26, 2005
    This is my first experience with Fire emblem. The effects and dialoque are really great, making you play longer. It places you in a type of Shining Force and Final Fantasy Tactics atmosphere, making the game enjoyable. Of course not you typical RPG compare to Final Fantasy or Tales of Symphonia, making it a risky buy, but overall leading to a great buy.
  30. AricS.
    Jan 12, 2006
    I think it was awsome i being a big fire emblem fanbut i think they could change it a little so it is not like the gameboy version.
  31. Jan 11, 2011

#3 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2005
#9 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2005

1. While the presentation and lack of innovation may not wow you, you'll be sucked in by just how well judged every element of the gameplay is.
  2. It starts off brilliant, then erodes your enthusiasm over time.
  3. Sure, this game is nowhere near as difficult as its SNES and GBA predecessors, but it still requires all the strategy and thought required to make it great.