Mario Kart: Double Dash!! GameCube

8.6

1. May 11, 2017
    I remember many, many years ago playing the co-op with my buddy. I remember that moment where we were in the city level, and just as he honked (he was Baby Mario, I was Todette), a Bob-omb car blew up some AI racer. It was funny because when you honk, your character does a little animation, and Baby Mario's is a handwave, so when he honked in front of the opponents, it was like he wasI remember many, many years ago playing the co-op with my buddy. I remember that moment where we were in the city level, and just as he honked (he was Baby Mario, I was Todette), a Bob-omb car blew up some AI racer. It was funny because when you honk, your character does a little animation, and Baby Mario's is a handwave, so when he honked in front of the opponents, it was like he was waving them goodbye. Pretty funny. Anyway, this Mario Kart kicks ass. If they remaster it, I'll be sure to be up in there as soon as possible. Excellent racer, but there's not much to do for the solo player. Expand
  2. Apr 1, 2017
    9.6 - Awesome concept and classic Mario kart. Also has probably the best character list in a Mario kart game, and has very iconic and memorable tracks and power-ups.
  3. Mar 22, 2017
    This game is just plain horrible. Not only do you have to choose two racers for one kart, you also have terrible drifting, terrible characters like Petey Piranha and Diddy Kong (thank God they never came back) the flying Blue Shell, and worst of all: terrible tracks. I give this game a 1 out of 10 because of all this bullcrap.
  4. Mar 22, 2017
    Mi primer Mario Kart, lo que hace que le tenga un cariño increíble, la combinación de dos personajes en un miso kart es lo que hace de este juego que sea uno de los mejores juegos de conducción hasta la fecha, muy innovador y alocado, aconsejable hasta decir basta.
  5. Mar 6, 2017
    Mario Kart doubles up with Double Dash. An awesome game that is a must buy if you own a Gamecube. With that aside it's pretty much business as usual, endless hours of fun await, especially if your playing with friends.
  6. Jul 3, 2016
    This is my favorite racer of all time and for good reasons. The graphics look smooth. The courses are always fun to play on. Amazing multiplayer. YOU RIDE WITH 2 CHARACTERS! New karts! Most addicting mario kart game. Just 100% FUN! Controls are great. SO MUCH FUN!
  7. Apr 1, 2016
    Innovative gameplay and a great battle mode with a great controller can't stop the generic unmemorable music and unbalanced items. Over rated to say the least
  8. Feb 27, 2016
    Two-character karts with a whole load of fun. Who couldn't ask for any more? With "Mario Kart: Double Dash!!", no one will be asking for less fun... they'll be asking for MORE FUN!!!
  9. Dec 24, 2015
    Mario Kart: Double Dash IMO is the second best MK Game up-to-date! The graphics are great and a little beyond standards for the Nintendo GameCube. The Character Selection is good except I like Mario Kart Wii's a bit better. The 2 character-in-1 Kart is awesome. The kart design is great especially the Yoshi one. The tracks are what I love the most about the game. The music/soundtrack isMario Kart: Double Dash IMO is the second best MK Game up-to-date! The graphics are great and a little beyond standards for the Nintendo GameCube. The Character Selection is good except I like Mario Kart Wii's a bit better. The 2 character-in-1 Kart is awesome. The kart design is great especially the Yoshi one. The tracks are what I love the most about the game. The music/soundtrack is amazing. Mario Kart Double Dash is one of the games I got back to recently and you should DEFINITELY pick it up if you find one for a great deal. And if you hate MKDD, you're BEYOND silly as JB. Expand
  10. Nov 14, 2015
    Second best MK Game up-to-date! The graphics are great and a little beyond standards for the Nintendo GameCube. The Character Selection is good except I like Mario Kart Wii's a bit better. The 2 character-in-1 Cart is awesome. The kart design is great especially the Yoshi one. The tracks are what I love the most about the game. The music/soundtrack is amazing. Mario Kart Double Dash is oneSecond best MK Game up-to-date! The graphics are great and a little beyond standards for the Nintendo GameCube. The Character Selection is good except I like Mario Kart Wii's a bit better. The 2 character-in-1 Cart is awesome. The kart design is great especially the Yoshi one. The tracks are what I love the most about the game. The music/soundtrack is amazing. Mario Kart Double Dash is one of the games I got back to recently and you should DEFINITELY pick it up if you find one for a great deal. And if you hate MKDD, you're BEYOND silly as JB. Expand
  11. Sep 12, 2015
    I love this mario kart, it has a unique mechanic on making strategy with 2 racers per kart, also the specials and the courses make this an amazing game, the 16 courses cup is epic, also battle mode is great, i consider this one of the hardest mario karts!! I don't know why is so hated
  12. Jul 25, 2015
    This is the worst game I've ever raced. After analyzing this game with a team of Nascar racers, we've all come to the unanimous conclusion that this game is painfully unrealistic and dangerous to the young and stupid minds of our children. Allow me to elaborate.

This game teaches our children that driving recklessly and drive-by shooting is okay. It also teaches them that spending time with a kidnapping turtle on steroids and a barrel-throwing monkey is the right thing to do.

Contrary to what you might believe, it is physically impossible to drive a car on a rainbow. Maybe if the creators had actually done their homework, they could have avoided such gross mistakes in the capabilities of refracted light.

I don't approve of this game having unlockable characters and maps. It's clear that they should have had all content available for purchase. Cause if there is one thing I love, it's buying a game and then forking over even more money to the developers so that my character can wear a blue cowboy hat instead of a green one. I only had to spend 14 bucks on this game! What a ripoff! I should have had to give over at least 30 more.

I also hate that this game involves teamwork by allowing two people to drive/operate the same kart! I hate teamwork, I hate all my friends, and I don't need to be reminded how frustratingly lonely I am! Get your head in the game Nintendo. No one will ever buy any of your games unless you start making good content. I don't even know what a Nintendo is!

So what we have hear is just some game no one has ever played or heard of. And it will do nothing but crash and burn.
  13. Jun 30, 2015
    Mario Kart Double Dash did nothing but improve upon its predecessors. Better graphics, more characters, multiple different karts, more items, new LAN mode, etc. The controls feel a bit jerky at first, but once you get used to them you'll find that this is one of the better games the Mario Kart series has to offer.
  14. Mar 11, 2015
    By far the best mario kart game (yes i played them all). Mario kart double dash it without a doubt the most unique mario kart. Each character has there own specials! This game also has great maps and catchy music. Also weapons are more random, meaning a person in first can still get a good item. Also when you make mistakes they are more consenquential. This is the best mario kart to date.
  15. Feb 21, 2015
    This game is awesome. The 2nd best Mario Kart game to date. The graphics were amazing at the time. The track selection is great. The character selection is awesome. The controls are good. Mario Kart Double Dash is a great Mario Kart game and it's definitely worth getting!
  16. Dec 3, 2014
    Fine, Petey, you can steer if you REALLY want to...

Fine, Petey, you can steer if you REALLY want to...

Mario Kart: Double Dash! is the best game in the Mario Kart franchise. It has decent graphics and a wide character selection. The best part is riding together on one kart. My friend was a horrible Mario Kart driver, but he could always be in the back shooting power-ups. The battle modes were really fun, too, especially the Bob-omb one. Hop on the back of my kart, we got some shells to shoot.
  17. Sep 5, 2014
    I was very exciting when I wanted to get this game. And it did not disappoint. I expected it to be my favorite in the Mario Kart series…and it almost was.
    The control takes some time to get used to, that's the only reason I didn't give it a ten. Once you're used to the control however, it's incredibly comfortable and well done.
    Some tracks are very fun, sporting huge jumps, exhilarating
    Some tracks are very fun, sporting huge jumps, exhilarating views, sharp turns very fun to drift on and very unique parts. The music is pretty upbeat in most stages and it fits the stages very well. Especially stages like Mushroom Bridge and Daisy Cruiser.
    The graphics don't look too amazing nowadays, but I'm pretty happy with how it looks. It's got nice shading in the right stages and it sports some good colors.
    The gameplay is definitely the best out of any Mario Kart game, including two players in one kart adds to your strategy because each character gets their own unique item and you can switch drivers to keep an item in stock. It is possible to shoot straight from last to first, with both assistance from the Chain Chomp and using items which make you work to use them well, but end up being rewarding in the end.
    One of my favorite aspects of this game is the Battle Mode. You have your standard Balloon Battle, but you also have Shine Thief which is an excellent four player game and Bob-Omb Blast where the only item is Bob-Ombs which makes it completely skill based. It's fun with any number of players this game.
    The one player mode has some replayability, while the multiplayer has very high replayabilty. It's great for tournaments and parties, plus reunions and friend hangouts. I would highly recommend this game, as high as Mario Kart DS.
  18. Aug 26, 2014
    Yet another classic Mario Kart. I liked the double-kart element which added a nice twist to the gameplay and I liked how in general it was a bit more focused on skill than other Mario Karts. Great track design as always and visuals that were a big step up from Mario Kart 64 completed the package. This was also the last time a battle mode was good on a home console Mario Kart, though IYet another classic Mario Kart. I liked the double-kart element which added a nice twist to the gameplay and I liked how in general it was a bit more focused on skill than other Mario Karts. Great track design as always and visuals that were a big step up from Mario Kart 64 completed the package. This was also the last time a battle mode was good on a home console Mario Kart, though I still think Mario Kart 64's battle mode is the best. Expand
  19. Jul 21, 2014
    Podría decirse que este fue mi primer videojuego. Venía en un pack con la GC e hice bien en cogerlo. Un juego realmente divertido y adictivo, podías repetir las carreras todas las veces que quisieras que nunca se hacía aburrido. El multijugador era genial. El mejor Mario Kart de todos, no deberían haber quitado la opción de dos personajes por kart, deberían haber dejado eso en todos.
  20. May 20, 2014
    Mario Kart Double Dash shines it's brightest in it's multiplayer modes. The two players per kart dynamic is not only inventive, but adds a whole new layer to gameplay even when you are in single player. Ihope that Nintendo brings back this mechanic some way, somehow.... The actual gameplay is also some of the best the series has seen, the slide works very well (I don't miss the hop), andMario Kart Double Dash shines it's brightest in it's multiplayer modes. The two players per kart dynamic is not only inventive, but adds a whole new layer to gameplay even when you are in single player. Ihope that Nintendo brings back this mechanic some way, somehow.... The actual gameplay is also some of the best the series has seen, the slide works very well (I don't miss the hop), and nothing about it feels awkward as was the issue with MK64. The game looks relatively simple but has aged quite nicely, and looks as cartoony as ever. The music is kind of catchy, but I would not put it up there with the best. The courses themselves are a wee bit bland at times with some tracks being extremely wide with not a lot going on compared to others. However there are many memorable tracks such as Baby Park, DK Mountain, and Waluigi Stadium. Battle mode in this game is only available in multiplayer, but is an absolute blast to play in my opinion. Overall I think this is one the strongest entries in the franchise, despite some major changes to the formula. Expand
  21. Apr 25, 2014
    My favorite Mario Kart game so far. The two character racing is so much fun due to combinations you can make, the tracks are very well designed, the soundtrack is memorable, Battle Mode is an absolute blast and the visuals are really good. The game could have been a bit longer as you can beat this game in a couple of hours, but this is one of the games that if you have a GameCube, youMy favorite Mario Kart game so far. The two character racing is so much fun due to combinations you can make, the tracks are very well designed, the soundtrack is memorable, Battle Mode is an absolute blast and the visuals are really good. The game could have been a bit longer as you can beat this game in a couple of hours, but this is one of the games that if you have a GameCube, you should have it. Expand
  22. Apr 21, 2014
    this is my absolute favorite Mario kart game. having a player ride on the back of your kart sounds gimmicky, but it is actually just as fun as being the driver. I wish they would implement this more in future Mario kart games. the vs. games are lots of fun too if you get tired of racing.
  23. Mar 30, 2014
    I think Mario Kart: Double Dash is an amazing game and probably my absolute favorite Mario Kart game. It is full of a lot fun a creative courses, it is amazing playing this game with friends. It may not have some of the "bells and whistles" that the later Mario Karts have, but I still enjoyed it very much. I loved the fact that you can have two characters on one Kart, however I do thinkI think Mario Kart: Double Dash is an amazing game and probably my absolute favorite Mario Kart game. It is full of a lot fun a creative courses, it is amazing playing this game with friends. It may not have some of the "bells and whistles" that the later Mario Karts have, but I still enjoyed it very much. I loved the fact that you can have two characters on one Kart, however I do think that they should have at least had the option to play it traditionally as well, but I did like that they used that and I think that should make it return to a future. Mario Kart. Double Dash!! is my favorite Mario Kart and I think that all Mario Kart fans should try it if they haven't already. Expand
  24. Mar 24, 2014
    This game is pure joy. Especially playing against friends and family. The music and tracks are gorgeous, the gameplay is fluent, the controls are excellent, the amount of polish that went into this game is impressive. Personally I think MK:DD is the second best kart racer ever made (1st place is CTR), but of course that's subjective.
  25. Dec 8, 2013
    The best game in the MarioKart franchise in my opinion. Previous examples lacked the precise controllability and graphics while later incarnations became way over the top crowding out the actual racing experience. The track choice in this game is large, the racing is close (thanks to items) and the physics are perfect for an arcade GoKart game. The only drawback with this game which itsThe best game in the MarioKart franchise in my opinion. Previous examples lacked the precise controllability and graphics while later incarnations became way over the top crowding out the actual racing experience. The track choice in this game is large, the racing is close (thanks to items) and the physics are perfect for an arcade GoKart game. The only drawback with this game which its successors addressed was a multi race championship ladder for multiplayer. Besides that though this is a great multiplayer game that will prove to be an extremely solid and enjoyable game decades on. Expand
  26. Oct 25, 2013
    Very fun as very unique, 2 people to a kart and special items are great features and bomb-omb blast is just crazy fun. No other mario kart will ever be this unique.
  27. Aug 10, 2013
    Amazing entry in the Mario Kart series.

The gimmick in this game is that you are two characters in one car. It works very well.
    The characters have their own special items and cars they can use, so that creates a great dynamic.

The tracks in this game are amazing as well.

If you need a GameCube game for multiplayer, this one is a must have.

9 out of 10!
  28. Jul 7, 2013
    Mario Kart: Double Dash is the quintessential Gamecube game for newcomers to the series and for experienced racers as well. It's unique two-racer game play sets it apart from the other games in the franchise, giving the beloved series a new and exciting twist. As if this wasn't enough, this title hosts what are easily the greatest battle mini games in the series. As far as replay abilityMario Kart: Double Dash is the quintessential Gamecube game for newcomers to the series and for experienced racers as well. It's unique two-racer game play sets it apart from the other games in the franchise, giving the beloved series a new and exciting twist. As if this wasn't enough, this title hosts what are easily the greatest battle mini games in the series. As far as replay ability is concerned, time has taken its toll on this title. With the addition of new Mario Kart games to the franchise and the death of the Nintendo Wii, only the truly dedicated are still playing to this day. That being said, Mario Kart: Double Dash is still one of the greatest party games on the Gamecube, and can definitely be dubbed as a racing classic. In my opinion, the controls work fine until it comes time to turn. If you're not using the L or R buttons, you'd better believe that you're going to fall off of the stage, because the turns are incredibly wide. Even with the L and R buttons, you'll still encounter momentary recoil that takes a second to recover from. In conclusion, anyone with a hankering to play a Gamecube racing classic should consider picking up this game. Expand
  29. Jun 27, 2013
    It's classic Mario Kart, only with tighter controls and a two-person twist. The courses are great, the multiplayer as awesome, and the game never seems to get boring. Pick this one up if you want a fun racing game. It's not the best racer on the GameCube, but it's definitely up there.
  30. Apr 1, 2013
    Mario will never stop being fun. And when there are other characters from the Nintendo universe, it was so fun. They never make games like this anymore.
  31. Feb 23, 2013
    This game is horrible. Why? Well let me tell you this. First up, the controls. The controls are HORRIBLE.
    Your characters move all over the place while driving, resulting in colliding with walls, CPU players or even items you would normally easily avoid like bananas or shells. Second, the tracks. They are not designed well and some of them are actually really frustrating (Like the Wario Stadium or the ice stage). Next up is the soundtrack. For me, soundtrack is the most important thing in a video game and yeah.. that is lacking in this one. Not memorable at all and some are just a pain to listen to. The only real good soundtrack in the game comes from Rainbow Road, the final track in the game. It's also the only acceptable race track in the game. Next up are the graphics, which are honestly not that bad! Colorfull and sparkling, they really take full advantage of the GameCube capabilities. So yeah.. finally a positive thing about the game haha. Next up is the difficulty IT IS INSANE. Due to the bad controls you will swing back and forth in the track, making it almost impossible to get even first in the 100 CC Cups.
    Plus the bad designed race tracks adding it all up makes for a very frustrating experience. The CPU will CRUSH you if you can't handle the controls and that's exactly what's gonna happen to new players to the Mario Kart series. Lastly the replay value. Like in Mario Kart 64, you can play the 50 CC, 100 CC and 150 CC all of which are easy or terribly hard, depending which one you choose. 50 CC is the easiest while the unlockable Mirror Mode is the hardest. But other than that, there is nothing else you can do in the game but that is understandable in a Mario Kart game; It was so before in the past so I won't call it a negative point. In conslusion, Mario Kart: Double Dash!! is one of the worst games i've ever played in my life. Bad controls, bad camera angle, bad level design, frustrating AI and forgettable soundtrack makes this one kart game you DON'T want to ride.
  32. Jan 19, 2013
    Following suit to its traditions of multiplayer mayhem and tight controls, Mario Kart: Double Dash adds new elements to multiplayer and beautiful graphics to create a truly charming game for the Gamecube.
  33. Jan 7, 2013
    I am a fan of racing games, and I have to say Double Dash is much better than what some of those purists are giving it credit for. The tracks are very well designed, and don't have those lame glitches the N64 version had. The music is great as well as the beautiful graphics. Since there is not hop to the drift, the controls are much better than in the previous versions, and just as good asI am a fan of racing games, and I have to say Double Dash is much better than what some of those purists are giving it credit for. The tracks are very well designed, and don't have those lame glitches the N64 version had. The music is great as well as the beautiful graphics. Since there is not hop to the drift, the controls are much better than in the previous versions, and just as good as recent Mario Kart games. The game is actually quite fast, but it just feels slow because the tracks are wide and the turning is not as violent. While 150cc is not as fast as previous games, believe me when I say that the game is still exciting. The co-op feature is not the gimmick some say it is either, it simply involves thinking things through and adds an element of strategy. I can mix and match different teams of the 20 characters. Single player is very worthwhile with the unlockables and different team combinations. Multiplayer is fun with more modes and a very workable LAN multiplayer. A few annoyances make this game less than perfect, however. The single player mode only has two modes (no free run?), and the characters voice overs will repeat themselves, a lot. I think the purists hate this game because it tried to be different or that the co-op feature requires a thought process, in which they show scorn for not being as simple as usual. This really is one of the better Mario Karts out there. The character list is great, tracks are awesome, and the 2 to a vehicle is not as frustrating as some say it is. While I do consider DS the best version, I have no problem with those that say this is the best. Very fun, and much better than the N64 or Wii versions. 9.1/10. Expand
  34. Sep 23, 2012
    So many memories. Solo mode is amazing, great maps, fun characters, awesome powerups. But playing multiplayer is even better. I can't say anything bad about this game. Watch out for the flying blue bomb of death!
  35. Aug 12, 2012
    I'll say this right off the bat: this game is quite possibly my favorite GameCube games I own. If you're a big Mario Kart fan you may be wondering what is different this time around. Well, two big things: a co-op option and Special Items. The co-op option is usually more fun than single player and special items usually make for chaos. Especially DK's giant banana and Bowser's Bowser shellI'll say this right off the bat: this game is quite possibly my favorite GameCube games I own. If you're a big Mario Kart fan you may be wondering what is different this time around. Well, two big things: a co-op option and Special Items. The co-op option is usually more fun than single player and special items usually make for chaos. Especially DK's giant banana and Bowser's Bowser shell (a gigantic koopa shell). Probably the best Mario Kart of its time. Expand
  36. Apr 22, 2012
    Mario Kart: Double Dash is a solid kart racer that does what it sets out to do. It's fun in multiplayer and quite entertaining as a solo experience too. It is missing the 'x factor', though. It's not something you can put your finger on, exactly, just a notion that the game isn't as fun as it should be. The N64 Mario Kart had that special ingredient and so did the DS version. This GamecubeMario Kart: Double Dash is a solid kart racer that does what it sets out to do. It's fun in multiplayer and quite entertaining as a solo experience too. It is missing the 'x factor', though. It's not something you can put your finger on, exactly, just a notion that the game isn't as fun as it should be. The N64 Mario Kart had that special ingredient and so did the DS version. This Gamecube iteration misses the mark in that regard and flounders in the company of it's more durable brethren. Basically speaking, this is a descent game but there are much better karting games available. Expand
  37. Jan 23, 2012
    The first GameCube game I have ever played and the first Mario Kart game I have ever played and in my opinion, the most underrated Mario Kart game and my personal favourite Mario Kart game (though Mario Kart DS is better in a broader perspective). I love the two person kart mechanic where you can mix and match two characters and karts together plus the added teamwork with another player,The first GameCube game I have ever played and the first Mario Kart game I have ever played and in my opinion, the most underrated Mario Kart game and my personal favourite Mario Kart game (though Mario Kart DS is better in a broader perspective). I love the two person kart mechanic where you can mix and match two characters and karts together plus the added teamwork with another player, the gameplay is ridiculously hectic and fun, the track selection is one of the best in the series and graphics still holds up to this day. Today, I am still regretting the day I traded in this wonderful gem of a game. If you have a GameCube's, do not pass this up. It is one of GameCube's finest games it has to offer. Expand
  38. Nov 21, 2011
    Excellent game, easily the best in the Mario Kart series. Has some of the most memorable tracks of the series but easily it's stand out is if you find someone else who loves this game as much as you (or 4 people ideally) and team up. The double Dash feature needs to make a return because it really added a whole knew dynamic to the game. There's nothing more satisfying than being so onExcellent game, easily the best in the Mario Kart series. Has some of the most memorable tracks of the series but easily it's stand out is if you find someone else who loves this game as much as you (or 4 people ideally) and team up. The double Dash feature needs to make a return because it really added a whole knew dynamic to the game. There's nothing more satisfying than being so on the same page as your partner that you can they can mushroom you over that short cut after boosting you round a corner and neither of you had to breath a word. Innovation at it's best that somebody should really take note of. Expand
  39. Nov 16, 2011
    Solo mode is fun, but playing with others makes this game more fun! I like the whole idea of special items and 2 people of a kart! The tracks are amazing and there are so many things to unlock, constantly keeping you on your feet. I love how the character rooster was huge and the addition of some new characters such as toad and toadette. A must have for gamecube owners!
  40. Nov 13, 2011
    While the solo single player is fun, multiplayer is what makes Double Dash great, it's the fantastic, fast, dangerous game we've come to expect from Nintendo
  41. Nov 7, 2011
    It is one of the best Mario Kart games and the ability to have 2 players in each vehicle makes it even better. It really makes the game more customizable and unique compared to other racing games.
  42. Sep 10, 2011
    I always have loved racing games, especially racing games with weapons, and if you use mario characters and not just use one character drive with 2 character simultaneously
  43. Jun 14, 2011
    I really enjoy this game but the two players to one kart isn't the best idea. I do, however, find that the fact that each character has his/her own special item. The battles are very enjoyable as well.
  44. JayE
    Aug 10, 2009
    If you are under 10 years old or if you play the game with your little kids, then you will like this game. If you are 15+ after a beefed up sequel to MK:64, it wont appeal to you. The gameplay is too simple and there is virtually no skill involved. Winning generally depends on what items you get. Its a family game, not a racing game. Mario Kart 64 and SNES are much better games, they have If you are under 10 years old or if you play the game with your little kids, then you will like this game. If you are 15+ after a beefed up sequel to MK:64, it wont appeal to you. The gameplay is too simple and there is virtually no skill involved. Winning generally depends on what items you get. Its a family game, not a racing game. Mario Kart 64 and SNES are much better games, they have proper karts and require of skill and reflexes to master, and have that classic Mario Kart atmosphere. Dislikes: Crying babies, driving prams and other weird vehicles, no karts!, everything is too cutesy, unable to jump while power sliding, the frustrating item bashing from the CPU players when you are ahead, dull gameplay, cannot hold items behind you. Nintendo should have taken MK:64, kept the same gameplay and dynamics, updated the graphics and made longer tracks, and added more content. Instead we get Mario Pram:Double Cry. Expand
  45. GordyP
    Mar 23, 2009
    My favorite game of all time!!! The character's are fantastic, the carts amazing, and the level design is genius. People who knock this game have definitely spent enough time w/it to find all the shortcuts, the myriad of unlockable carts, modes, and characters. I personally like this better than Mariokart Wii, because the tracks are better and the double character/double weapon game My favorite game of all time!!! The character's are fantastic, the carts amazing, and the level design is genius. People who knock this game have definitely spent enough time w/it to find all the shortcuts, the myriad of unlockable carts, modes, and characters. I personally like this better than Mariokart Wii, because the tracks are better and the double character/double weapon game mechanic puts some strategy into the fast paced crazy racing action. Also there is no better game to play with three other friends via splitscreen. Also you and a buddy can get on the same cart while two other buddies team up on another cart and then you concentrate on driving while the guy in the back is the "weapons man". Not so fun as a one player experience, but a complete and utter blast to play on multiplayer! The only reason that it didn't recieve a ten from me is that the characters are a little unbalanced: if you drive as the two toads w/flaming mushrooms, you're almost gauranteed the win. Otherwise the perfect game! Expand
  46. YoshiKanagisawa
    Jul 25, 2008
    Anyone that says the 2 player per kart is a gimmick...the truth is you just haven't played it enough to realise it's not. I say this because at first I thought it was a gimmick too and was in no way traditional to the Mario Kart series. However after giving it a go, I realised that this game IS a mario kart game and a good change. The 2 characters add a lot more variety because Anyone that says the 2 player per kart is a gimmick...the truth is you just haven't played it enough to realise it's not. I say this because at first I thought it was a gimmick too and was in no way traditional to the Mario Kart series. However after giving it a go, I realised that this game IS a mario kart game and a good change. The 2 characters add a lot more variety because each character has their own special items plus you can store items with one character and save them for when you need it...meanwhile using the other character. It's great fun, vivid, sharp and bright graphics and controls perfectly. Jonathon Q, I'm afraid you just didn't play it long enough. It's not generic....if anything the new Mario Kart Wii is generic. Apart from the motorcycles and motion controls, there's really nothing new brought to the table. MK:DD is great for the series because it brought some variety compared with the usual Mario Kart we had seen 3 times before it. Expand
  47. JonathanQ.
    May 9, 2008
    I'm a big mario kart fan but this is a rubbish generic racer - a disgrace to the whole series you may find it fun - but as a mario kart - it is so far from what we loved about mario kart from the snes, n64 it is a stupid gimmick with 2 players - just poor and made me cry, it was such a big disappointment.
  48. MarioLuigi
    Jan 20, 2008
    The best Mario Kart to date in my opinion. I have Mario Kart DS and I still think this one is better. It feels much more fluid and fast, the courses are better and the double characters add more variety, strategy and weapons to the game. The Gamecube's awesome controller (still to this day it's the best) makes racing easy on the hands and snaking easy on the thumb unlike in The best Mario Kart to date in my opinion. I have Mario Kart DS and I still think this one is better. It feels much more fluid and fast, the courses are better and the double characters add more variety, strategy and weapons to the game. The Gamecube's awesome controller (still to this day it's the best) makes racing easy on the hands and snaking easy on the thumb unlike in Mario Kart DS with the D pad. The gameplay with 2 characters and all the special items makes this a much more exciting and multiplayer suited game over Mario Kart DS. While I like Mario Kart DS still, it feels slightly more generic compared to Double Dash. The graphics in this game are also awesome to look at and it all runs at 60fps with no lag. I don't know how this got 79 on IGN because it really is a definite improvement over the N64 one....I wouldn't call it a mediocre effort at all. Now we just have to see how Mario Kart Wii goes. Expand
  49. LTB.
    Dec 22, 2007
    I've had Mario Kart Double Dash for 4 years, and I still love to play it (then again, I did get tired of it at one time; but that went on for a short while)! In my opinion, it's better than MK for the DS. That's all that needs to be said.
  50. AndrewC.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Dull stuff, two people on a kart, so many obstacles, this is stupid, double dash is double dumb brainless fun.
  51. AlC.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Wo!!! This game sucks, the animation is blury and the effects are too fast, its too much to control. Way over the top dullness.
  52. KarlN.
    Sep 21, 2007
    An excellent cartoon racer. Lots of fun to play with my wife. She's not really a gamer but she loves it. There's nothing deep or engaging, but it's an excellent racing game to play with people that have different levels of gaming experience. Everything including the menu system has been implemented beautifully.
  53. ChristopherH.
    Jun 7, 2007
    This is a really great game. Its only fault; mediocre battle arenas. Where is multi-storey block fort? My favourite gamecube game. Buy it.
  54. JonnyL.
    Jun 3, 2007
    This is probably the first video game i ever played and i love it. And its not too easy or difficult for me either. this is an awesome game.
  55. Lorben
    Aug 23, 2006
    Great co-op and a great racer overall.
  56. JimmiA.
    Jul 31, 2005
    Very good and funny. The big problem with this game is to short. I have done all races in 50 & 100CC in my first day (in I think 2 hour). And I haven play Maruio cart for about 3-4 year.
  57. EduardoR.
    Apr 29, 2005
    There was a giant leap from the N-64 Mario Kart to MKart: Doble Dash! A lot of fun, especially if you pick 3 friends to play with you!!!
  58. JoeG.
    Dec 13, 2004
    This game is so sick it kills the n64 version, and has fun track design except for thay baby park level which just sucks for design. That asides the point this game is so much fun both mutiplayer and single player.
  59. Wood
    Nov 3, 2004
    good not not much in depth it all u do is win the cups murphy is so wrong.
  60. DanielM.
    Nov 2, 2004
    Best racer ever, multiplayer is cool.
  61. MattT.
    Aug 12, 2004
    It's a great game. The graphics are great, and there is plenty of secret stuff to work for. The multiplayer is also endless fun. The game is really hard though.. You have to be really good to beat the game 100%.
  62. RalphS.
    May 22, 2004
    For multiplayer GC gaming this is it! Even friends and co-workers who are not big GC fans are constantly wanting to know when the next MKDD party is going to be. For multiplayer GC, and real-world response, MKDD should rank in the top 2 or 3 for GC.
  63. DFC
    Mar 16, 2004
    A 0? What is that loon thinking? An awesome game that everyone loves in my house (4 yrs-38 yrs old). Great fun, and great replay value with the near endless character/kart combinations!
  64. MarkK.
    Mar 6, 2004
    This is a very fun game but I hve to say i enjoyed The 64 version better. But still it is updated with new characters, tems, and karts.
  65. KingA.
    Feb 26, 2004
    Nothing deserves a 10 but this game is total fun. I am surprise that people are giving this game less than 8! Those people obviously did not play the game and unlock all the characters. On 150cc setting the computer can still beat a seasoned veteran. This game is for the loners as well as one of the best multiplayer games for any system. Nothing beats tagging your friends system with your Nothing deserves a 10 but this game is total fun. I am surprise that people are giving this game less than 8! Those people obviously did not play the game and unlock all the characters. On 150cc setting the computer can still beat a seasoned veteran. This game is for the loners as well as one of the best multiplayer games for any system. Nothing beats tagging your friends system with your intials after setting a record. Expand
  66. Tomek
    Feb 14, 2004
    This game is amazing, no matter what anyone says, especially lala, I mean anyone who can't even spell graafik or OK (or okay) doesn't deserve a vote.
  67. JohnD.
    Feb 6, 2004
    If you have a gamecube and you dont have mario kart double dash your life is obviously miserable. You should be left for dead on a stranded island and suffer a painfull, horrific death. A PERFECT 10!!! The best racing game and snacking on the market. MARIO AND LUIGI ARE OFF LIMITS
  68. RyanM.
    Jan 29, 2004
    This game has incredible multiplayer. It's starngely addictive, but what brought me down was the shortness. This game could easily be beaten in one sitting. there's not much depth, and truly...not that many crazy unlockables.
  69. lala
    Jan 27, 2004
    The grafik is very bad bad gameplay the game is a oke for nintendo.
  70. Robby
    Jan 23, 2004
    This is a great game. If you beat the game I would suggest to delete the data and beat it again.
  71. PerryM.
    Jan 22, 2004
    This is a highly enjoyble game with nice courses, but the difficulty is kinda high.
  72. DougF.
    Jan 20, 2004
    It's not the better mario kart. i'm sorry there are not many things in this game.
  73. ChrisW.
    Jan 20, 2004
    It's absolutely great! You will love this game. If you have a Gamecube... GET THIS GAME!!!
  74. JoeL.
    Jan 19, 2004
    Liked the game.....but it just doesnt have that addictive quality like mk64. please.....bring it to gamecube....please...
  75. Notevesteve
    Jan 12, 2004
    Wow this game is good! Edge Magazine....are you retarded?!?! OHH THIS IS NOT A RACING GAME ANYMORE! What do you think they are racing on? Pencils? You are the biggest crackhead ever! This game is brilliant...good amount of skill needed, well designed karts, and of course you cannot forget the gay sounds made by Mario and the rest of the gang!
  76. GaryS.
    Jan 7, 2004
    Nice-looking and a lot of fun. On the other hand, just as it was with the 64 version, the bar has been lowered on difficulty. When everyone knows the courses (and most of them are quite simple) the winner will be determined by who gets the right item at the right time.
  77. ChrisM.
    Jan 1, 2004
    This game has nothing on MK64. This game feels so slow and boring it is painfull. Not only that but it can be completed with such ease it isn't worth purchasing. Multiplayer is the only area where this game shines unfortunatley.
  78. Wario
    Dec 30, 2003
    RickN this game is da bomb. It's nothing like the N64 version look at the track design. It looks like you haven't even unlocked Rainbow Road!!!!
  79. JeffM.
    Dec 30, 2003
    One of the best Gamecube games you can get.
  80. JonnoF.
    Dec 20, 2003
    BRILL!
  81. A.V.
    Dec 15, 2003
    Super goe
  82. muhamadH.
    Dec 11, 2003
    Simply fun, fun, fun....especially the multiplayer mode.
  83. JonathanP.
    Dec 9, 2003
    The best in the series yet -- absolutely fantastic multiplayer and the strongest single-player version yet to date. Not to be missed by any means.
  84. StephenK.
    Dec 7, 2003
    This game is phenomenal fun. Although it lacks the single player intensity i was hoping for, it does however deliver strong new multiplayer fun. It allows you to play with two racers per kart. This is a great idea it allows you to have more people play and it makes things a little more hectic. This game is the ultimate multiplayer game having up to sixteen players at once. I highly This game is phenomenal fun. Although it lacks the single player intensity i was hoping for, it does however deliver strong new multiplayer fun. It allows you to play with two racers per kart. This is a great idea it allows you to have more people play and it makes things a little more hectic. This game is the ultimate multiplayer game having up to sixteen players at once. I highly suggest this game. Expand
  85. RickN.
    Dec 6, 2003
    I went out and purchased MK:DD. I wasa expecting a completely new game. Unfortunatly it borrows too many elements from the older Mario Kart games. It felt almost identical to the N64 version. The things they added seem tacked on and could have been overlooked if it didn't seem recyled with a new plastic wraper. I saw the broadband insignia on the back so I assumed that they finnally I went out and purchased MK:DD. I wasa expecting a completely new game. Unfortunatly it borrows too many elements from the older Mario Kart games. It felt almost identical to the N64 version. The things they added seem tacked on and could have been overlooked if it didn't seem recyled with a new plastic wraper. I saw the broadband insignia on the back so I assumed that they finnally released another online game... not to be true I'm afraid. They turned it into LAN. How many people would drag 4 TV 4 Gamecubes and 4 Disks just to use the LAN feature? Not many I'm sure. I would of liked to give it a better score but I simply can't bring myself to eaise it any higher. Sorry. Expand
  86. MarcusB.
    Dec 1, 2003
    I will never understand how the Mario Kart series gets such high accolades. Sure, the multiplayer is fun for a while, but the cutesy graphics and repetitive gameplay drag this title down bigtime.
  87. MichaelS.
    Nov 30, 2003
    Yo, these people should stop lying this game is freakin awesome i recommend it to everyone. you people must like racing to like it. (You should all be proud of how much technology we got and stuff so stop giving this game bad rating it has good graphics)
  88. SamiN.
    Nov 30, 2003
    This is great game,and also one of the best game for the gamecube!
  89. DaevoLogger
    Nov 26, 2003
    This game brought tears to my eyes when I saw just how great it was. I've been racing with all my friends, who love it, and after I bought 2 broadband adaptors and my friend got the game, 8 people all played it making me realize that it just is the best racing game of all time!
  90. Cuduumicker
    Nov 26, 2003
    a fun but hard game. I rate it 10 because of its great graphics and secert karts and characters.
  91. Rikardos
    Nov 25, 2003
    Disappointing - where's the look behind button? Where's the more complicated challenging tracks (even on the original the second cup started getting difficult - so such luck here)? Battle mode sucks! Where's the levels with elements to hide in or steer around when you're being chased - they're too small to do anything in (and that Gamecube level is a total waste Disappointing - where's the look behind button? Where's the more complicated challenging tracks (even on the original the second cup started getting difficult - so such luck here)? Battle mode sucks! Where's the levels with elements to hide in or steer around when you're being chased - they're too small to do anything in (and that Gamecube level is a total waste and lazy programming). Good graphics, sound and initially I was pleased but the hard turn without the hop doesn't feel right and makes it less precise than it previously was. A good game for people who haven't played Mario Kart before but old-time gamers prepare to be disappointed! And I've been a fan of Mario Kart from the beginning on the SNES but this ain't nothing like it! Expand
  92. ChristopherP.
    Nov 22, 2003
    I'm pretty strict with games but this is the most fun i've had multiplayer for a while. there's a lot of depth to this game regarding slide tackles that i think a lot of people overlook, and i'm discovering new things all the time with the game. it's really something.
  93. MarkB.
    Nov 22, 2003
    This is why gamecube is better that ps2 and xbox.
  94. PhillipB.
    Nov 22, 2003
    This is the best mario kart they have made i think. The graphics are better and there are a lot more characters. I love the design of the karts and the stages are awesome. I had been savin up for this game for like 3 months and that why i got it the first day it came out b/c it kicks.
  95. RavenD.
    Nov 22, 2003
    Strong game, should have given a quick run feature to enhance 1 player experience and given a certain amount of "retrys", unique and fun, mulltiplayer is endless, awesome showing
  96. Joe
    Nov 21, 2003
    Don't listen to the Xbox fanboys who are jealous that this game is funner than Project Gotham 2! The visuals are incredible, the single player is challenging, and the co-op and battle modes will be the life of your parties! Buy this game now!
  97. Uter
    Nov 19, 2003
    It's a step up from Mario Kart 64, but still doesn't quite live up to the original's reputation.
  98. GTaan
    Nov 19, 2003
    Nice game Multiplayer is very good. I gonna enjoy it this season !!
  99. BobL.
    Nov 19, 2003
    A great game for the whole family. I only gave it a 9 because the battle fields could have been a bit bigger....
  100. Nov 7, 2011

#2 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2003
#6 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2003

1. Weekly Famitsu
    9 / 9 / 9 / 9 - 36 platinum [Vol 778]
  2. Yeah, we'll say it: Mario Kart: Double Dash is the most fun you'll have with a game this year. And probably next year. And maybe even the year after that.
  3. Between opponents' backseat bombers, traps, and other natural threats (breaking waves, thunderbolts), you'll need much more than a good drift technique to finish first.