9.2

1. Feb 12, 2011
    Positives
    - Graphics: The graphics in metroid prime are not only top notch for the gamecube, but top notch for any 6th generation home console.
    - Gameplay: Metroid Prime immerses you into a large 3D environment for exploration and puzzle solving. The game is played at a first person perspective, but it isn't a first person shooter, it is more in the vein of first person adventure game.
    The boss battles are excellently executed, and there is a ton of information to collect throughout the game, via scan logs and upgrades.
    - Sound: Metroid prime presents an alienlike sound track that perfectly fits the mood of the game.

- Controls: The controls in Metroid Prime work over all very well throughout the game. The lack of manual aiming without the R buttons is solved via the use of the lock on feature. Negatives
    -Replay Value: One might not be compelled to play this prolonged adventure again, although if they do they will realize just how excellent the game was when they'd played it the first time. There is also alot of backtracking in the game, but this is usually for the access of new areas and upgrades.

2. Oct 16, 2012
    One of the best games on Gamecube. Metroid Prime is not really a FPS, since you can lock enemies, but it doesn't matter. There is a full world to explore, with a good mix shooting, plaforming and puzzle solving. Every equipement you find will make you more powerful, giving a great feeling. Story is delivered through reading computers which can be boring at times though.
  3. Jun 1, 2011
    Metroid Prime is not to be compared to games like Halo. While both feature armor clad heroes in space, the game play of both are completely different. MP is a single player First Person Adventure game. You investigate a distress call and soon find yourself alone on a hostile planet trying to unravel the mysterious of the planet while exploring every nook and cranny for secrets, and boy are there lots. There might be only half a dozen short cinematics, the rest is told through journal entries from Space Pirates (tuuubes!), Chozo artifacts and your computer scanner. You can nearly scan everything in the game finding out facts about nearly every speck of life on the planet while the beautiful effects and music add to the ambiance of the world. It is one of my favorite games for the GameCube and one of the best games of the decade. 10/10. Expand
  4. Jan 4, 2011

Metroid Prime (Trilogy)
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Resident Evil 4
    Tetris DS
    Words with Friends (Scrabble)
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Mike Tysonâ
  5. May 28, 2011
    Let me start by saying that Super Metroid is my favourite game ever, Metroid Prime not only does an amazing job of transferring the Super Metroid experience - shooting, exploration, puzzle-solving, isolation, atmosphere, and even platforming (!) - to 3D and to a first-person perspective, it also expands wonderfully on Super Metroid series and the action-adventure genre as a whole. The first-person perspective and amazing graphical detail only enhances that famous Metroid atmosphere and, arguably, the fun of exploring an alien world reached a new peak here. Expand
  6. Oct 5, 2012
    I didn't like the scanning in Prime, even though you didn't have to do it, I don't like the idea that in order to get 100% you have to scan every stupid thing in the game. The enemy AI was extremely **** They missed like crazy, and generally as long as you continued moving they won't hit you. And if they DO manage to hit you, oh well, they still have to hit you about 400 more times to kill you. The game was just way too easy. The controls were absurd compared to other FPS games of the time. The exploration wasn't real. They would set up a few little platforms and maybe a grappling point, and all you need to do is traverse the room. Terms like "exploration" and "puzzles" imply that you need to look around and figure out what to do for yourself. Instantly seeing what you need to do and simply carrying it out is not exploration. The game made me feel like a rat in a maze, rather than a person exploring an unknown land. I also hated the way they started you out with all this great equipment and then they take it away from you. It gives the player nothing to look forward to. You've already experienced items like the charge beam and morph ball, so obtaining them once again isn't really satisfying. It feels more like a job. Expand
  7. Nov 5, 2011
    Metroid Prime is definitely an experience. It took the Metroid formula, perfected it and took a bold new approach in making it an FPA (First-Person Adventure). To say that it's an amazing game it's an understatement; it might as well be the most perfect game ever made for the Cube, and one of the finest games ever. Lots of stuff to collect and do, good storyline, very deep and engaging lore, top-notch graphics, very, VERY good atmosphere, complete with a beautiful soundtrack. Mix this with a difficulty level that is actually challenging even in Normal, tight, really tight controls, and you get no less than perfection. Definitely Retro Studios's masterpiece. Expand
  8. Jun 14, 2011
    Metroid Prime is a truly stunning experience for anyone. Pros: Innovative and overall, nicely polished; excellent graphics and sound; beautifully detailed design; epic soundtrack; challenging gameplay. Cons: No multiplayer; no widescreen mode; the save system could've been better.
  9. Oct 28, 2011
    10 isn't for perfect games. 10 is for phenomenal games that despite all it's flaws shines above the vast majority of games. Graphically it is some of the best GameCube has to offer and the ambient music creates a great atmosphere fitting of the Metroid series. The controls are unconventional, and would be terrible for an FPS. Fortunately, Metroid Prime is a much grander experience than your average FPS, with vast levels to explore and secret items scattered around. Less focus on shooting and more on exploring the landscape makes it unique. Overall, Metroid Prime is a game I'm not ashamed to call my favorite game of all time. Easily a must-buy for GameCube/Wii owners. Expand
  10. Nov 7, 2011
    I like this game. It has great graphics and unique gameplay, although I found the game confusing at times because there is a lot going on within the game.
  11. Jun 25, 2012
    Metroid Prime: What can I say that already hasn't been said. This game is truly how an adventure game and an FPS should be, free exploration in a beautiful world that captures you with its stunning visuals, catchy and breathtaking music, little intricacies in the level design that impress the players, and complex and thought-provoking puzzles. It's just you and the huge planet that you explore, with the frequent enemies and boss fights. It's easily understood as to why the Metroid series is truly one of Nintendo's, no, video games in general, finest work. Gameplay: You're Samus Aran, and the game is in her perspective. You see through Samus's helmet, and have a gun with unlimited ammo ready to shoot at everything in sight. Shoot with A, jump with B for some clever platforming, lock on with L, move the gun up and down with R, etc. The gameplay controls very well. On your quest, you will come across items such as Missles, Grapple Beams, etc, which all add to your arsenal of weapons you can carry, making enemies you had trouble earlier with, easier to beat. The boss fights in this game are truly fantastic. From the vicious Flaaghra to the sadistic Ridley, these bosses will pose a huge amount of challenge and fun. Throughout your adventure, you will shoot down indigenous life, space pirates, well designed bosses as you course through the depths of Tallon IV. Going through the magma filled Magmoor Cavern, the cold, sub-zero climate of Phendrana Drifts, to even the Space Pirate's mines (and many more), this game will take hours to complete. After you finish all of that, you will defeat the final boss, Metroid Prime, and save Tallon IV from the corruption of Phazon. The morph ball feature is also well transferred from the game's 2D counterpart, even something that shocked me, the grappling beam, was very well implemented. With perfect controls, perfect level design, and perfect boss battles, gameplay gets a 10/10. Music/Sounds: Metroid Prime features some of the best soundtracks I have heard in a video game. The music in the game contain atmospheric pieces, and catchy ones as well. I cannot begin to tell how many times I've listened to the peaceful Phendrana Drifts music just on its own with headphones. It's music from the heavens. The sounds are also great and realistic (firing your gun, small explosions, enemy grunts, etc) 10/10. Story. The story is marvelously told through the use of optional lore and Pirate data that can be scanned throughout the game. Read up the wiki on the story if you want to know what it is. It's actually quite interesting. The lore and Pirate data also give a very large chunk of the story through the Space Pirates' perspectives and even mention some things in the past that transpired in the planet. Truly a genius way of telling a story. 10/10 Overall Metroid Prime is quite possibly one of the best games you'll come across. What Super Mario 64 did for the Mario series, and what Ocarina of Time did for the Zelda series, Metroid Prime did for the Metroid series. It's a 3D FPS adventure at is finest, and it's my personal favorite game of all time. If you haven't played this game, I highly recommend you pick it up and give it a go. This game receives a perfect 10/10 score. Expand
  12. Nov 23, 2011
    Simply the most absorbing game I've ever played. It has the refinement of zelda with an amazing graphics engine and an unquestionable amount of atmosphere. I play to this day, it's better than 90% of what's on wii.
  13. Nov 29, 2011
    Metroid prime is the best game of it's console generation while also fulfilling all necessary gameplay aspects that Metroid fans have come to know and love.
  14. Apr 23, 2012
    I really love this game. There's an intense atmosphere, the graphics is one of the best in Gamecube, the gameplay is awesome and the soundtrack... is amazing. The all planet Tallon IV is huge, with good designs and the boss are the biggest i ever seen in a metroid game.
  15. May 18, 2012
    Graphics: AMAZING, at the time this was the best looking game around and it still looks detailed and slick.
    Music: I can't describe how awesome and fantastic the music is.
    Gameplay: really sweet action-adventure. Lot's of tough puzzles and powerful enemies. The difficulty is just right.
    So far this, together with Ocarina of Time, is the best game I've played. It's a true master piece and
    deserves a 10/10. Expand
  16. Dec 5, 2012
    I absolutely LOVE this game. I picked it up after watching by big brother play it when I was young. I played it, beat it, and to this day I still come back to play more. This is by far my favorite metroid game and is in my opinion one of the best games of all time. Do not pass up a chance to play this incredible game.
  17. Feb 2, 2014
    One of the most brilliant games for the Game Cube.
    I myself have played it on the Wii and thought it was awesome.
    Compared with today's games clearly outdated but with the games damliger time simply unmatched.
  18. May 27, 2014
    In 1994 Nintendo released Super Metroid, one of the best games ever. An entire generation of games went by without Nintendo releasing a sequel. Then this game was announced with an incredible amount of hype around it. Metroid Prime not only lived up to the hype, it surpassed it. It transferred everything that made Super Metroid so amazing to 3D flawlessly. There was more lore, better combat, better boss fights, more exploration, better locations and a higher level of immersion. The graphics at the time were unprecedented and the soundtrack was excellent. It gave my favourite franchise new life and that is why it is my favourite game. Expand
  19. Dec 16, 2013
    I'm totally neutral towards this game. It has a nice story line and good gameplay. I just can't stand the constant backtracking. Some may not be bothered by it, but I personally hated it. I recommend trying it out, but will not guarantee satisfaction.
  20. Mar 24, 2011
    ive never played a metroid game until this one . the first thing that turned me off about it was the auto lock shooting no FPS game should have that when you have duel analog controls... EVER! it just takes alot of the skill away . the games diffuculty comes from its puzzle solving which was done ok i guess and its not that i dont like doing that kinda thing i just didnt really expect it and that it was more of the focus in this game . i would say if thats what you are looking for you will enjoy this game . it does look very nice and has great level desighns but it just wasnt for me. maybe if they add duel analog shooting in future installments i will get into it abit more. Expand
  21. Jan 19, 2011
    One of the best games of all time. This game was and still is brilliant in every way. Graphics, presentation, story and gameplay this game is as close to perfection as any game can get.
  22. Feb 7, 2014
    Possibly my favourite GameCube game. Great action and exploration with a decent amount of challenge, tension and rewarding gameplay. The thinking man's shooter...
  23. Jan 8, 2011
    There is so much but so little to say about this game. Best graphics of a gamecube game. Best gameplay of a gamecube game. Flawless in every way. Compelling. Entertaining. Jaw dropping action. If you have not bought this, then do so. This is why the gamecube is worth buying!
  24. Jul 23, 2011
    Metroid was one of the few games that got changed by the genre, and got a successful margin. Sub estimating a game because it's having something new is tricky, sometimes you don't know if it is going to be a success. But Metroid did well, very well. Level design can be confusing with nice puzzles , the graphic's looks stunning for a game this old. Game Cube may be dead, and buried by the strong dead competitors ( PS2 and Xbox) but it had the abilities that we never saw that it could have let go at the time. And this is a big example of the potential the cube had. Expand
  25. Jun 28, 2011
    One of the best games for the gamecube, great graphics, gripping story, good controls, and especially you get to play as Samus obviously one of the biggest nintendo starts ever. I would recamend this to anyone IF you have the time to put into it.
  26. Oct 31, 2013
    The long running Metroid series has been highly regarded amongst gamers for two decades and this update continues the trend of providing quality gaming. In much the same way that Ocarina of Time translated the Zelda series into 3D whilst retaining the series uniqueness Retro Studios have taken the 2D formula of previous instalments to the next level.

Metroid Prime is an action/adventure
    game that is unusually played from a first-person perspective and takes place just after the original Metroid on the NES. The game opens with bounty hunter Samus Aran on the trail of space pirates intent on using a substance known as Phazon to create a genetically engineered army capable of taking over the galaxy. Following an explosion in which she narrowly escapes with her life she finds herself trapped on an eerie and isolated planet without many of her abilities.

Once on the planet the gameplay itself also follows the template laid down by the 2D iterations. The focus is largely on exploring the massive, uncharted world around you. As you do you gradually regain abilities such as the Morph Ball and Dash Boots that allows access to previously inaccessible areas that provide teasing hints as to the planets history. With useful signposting along the way it is only rarely that this exploration can become frustrating.

Combat itself also takes inspiration from Ocarina of Time. A simple lock-on mechanic allows the player to target individual enemies and removes the need for twin analogue controls. Once targeted enemies can be blasted with a variety of weapons although many are weaker or stronger against certain types.

With its superb graphics and haunting score Metroid Prime became an instant classic on release and remains amongst the best games of its generation.
  27. May 26, 2011
    I never got past the first part because it was too dang difficult! Listen to this, it is ridiculous: Samus, an armor-wearing, alien-bashing, base-destructing, tough-as-nails bounty hunter loses ALL her powers from HITTING A WALL. What the hell?
  28. Jul 3, 2011
    One of the highlight games for the GameCube, Metroid Prime really shines for its transfer from a 2-d to a 3-d dimension. I really like the work they put into for this game: the visuals, music, gameplay, everything.
  29. Jun 27, 2011
    Woah! This game was amazing! first let me shut the people below me up. Metroid Prime has scored higher than Halo! It is the most critically acclaimed FPS of the 2000-2010 period. Graphics are great. The controls took about five minutes to get used to (hey we live in a time where everything is handed to us). The story is great. The atmosphere is just incredible. The final boss (Metroid Prime) left me gasping for breathe and my heart beating freaking fast (I just barely beat it with 10% of my health left). It was the most exhilarating experience ever! Space Pirates, metroids, and a whole bunch of other creatures give the game life and something to shoot at. Pick it up! Now! 10/10 Expand
  30. Aug 7, 2011
    This game is Perfection.
    Super Metroid is one of the best 2-d Adventure games out there. This game perfectly translates everything that was Brilliant of that game into 3d and even adds more. With the Bar set sky high of Super Metroid this game had a lot to beat. Retro Studios completely succeeded.
    Graphics in this game are Incredible and shows clearly what the Gamecube was possible of, and
    for 2011 still look really good. Gameplay is satisfying with the best weapon having an amazing amount of kick to it which when blasting a Space Pirate in the face. The environment is incredible, with each area looking nothing alike. Each nook-and cranny of this game is extremely well made. There is extreme reward for exploring each and Every area to get every last little Power-up.
    The music is really awesome and has been remixed to death but never sounds as good as the original.
    Each boss fight is different, challenging and fun. The controls, which are confusing at first. Do let you do what you want.
    The story, Is incredible. The Lore you acquire from scanning is well written. This game is perfection.
    It is what I believe to be the 2nd greatest game of all time.

1. It looks fantastic, it plays fantastic (the best usage of the GameCube controller to date), it sounds fantastic, and darn it, it is just fun to play.
    It doesn't matter if you've never played a Metroid game before - Prime will kick your ass and unrelentingly own you. [A+; Jan 2003, p.62]
  3. It oozes with so much addictiveness that the storyline plays second fiddle and reminds you of a time when gameplay was an integral part of gaming. Put simply, this is one of the best games I have played in a long, long time. [Grade = A+]