Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door GameCube

9.4

1. VanyaH.
    Jun 5, 2004
    Best game ever i love the fact that u can explore mario lands.
  2. B-Dog
    Nov 3, 2004
    Great game. Make more like this one nintendo.
  3. GaryM.
    Oct 22, 2004
    I'm really looking forward to this game, as the graphics are stunning and brings the old Mario to life! Luvely jubely.
  4. KaleviK.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Great!
  5. JosefW.
    May 18, 2005
    Hilarious! A joy to play.
  6. JoeyK.
    Aug 6, 2005
    Players of the original will find a lot familiar, yet plenty of new tricks. They've rehashed many of the characters and levels from the old game, but they all still work! The only big criticism is that there isr too much backtracking, which I'm surprised wasn't mentioned more in othe rreviews. Nevertheless, it's an utterly fantastic game, just like the first one.
  7. AlexB.
    Jul 11, 2006
    Paper Mario 2 is a rare game: charming, witty and entertaining. Given the varied selection of tasks you're given, you'd expect the core of the game to be slightly shallow or rough. But no, throughout the game the presentation is top-notch and secrets abound. The core combat mechanic is still fun 40 hours in, and there's plenty to savour in a 2nd replaying.
  8. TonyG.
    Nov 10, 2004
    This game rules. Paper Mario 2 boils down to this: an innovative RPG simple enough for a child to play but deep enough for a hardcore RPG addict to love. The battle system is very fun, with lots of entertaining quirks and a surprising number of in-depth abilities to learn. For example, all basic moves need relatively simple button combinations learned to maxmize effectiveness. However, This game rules. Paper Mario 2 boils down to this: an innovative RPG simple enough for a child to play but deep enough for a hardcore RPG addict to love. The battle system is very fun, with lots of entertaining quirks and a surprising number of in-depth abilities to learn. For example, all basic moves need relatively simple button combinations learned to maxmize effectiveness. However, these same moves can be further refined by making them "Stylish." Learning sytlish moves entails excellent timing, and it adds amusing animations and impressive benefits to your attacks. Let's not forget the countless clever goofs that we find throughout the game. Two-dimensional Paper Mario can turn sideways to fit through cracks, stage lights arbitrarily fall on you in combat and give your character a defensive electrical field, and Luigi even makes his own strange appearances. Try this game. You'll love it. Expand
  9. TonyT.
    Nov 20, 2004
    Cool.
  10. ChristopherS.
    Oct 20, 2004
    The most beautiful and amazing worlds you'll ever see,sound is good also!!!! Great gameplay and mario greatness, what more can you ask for?? Go buy now!!!
  11. Jeff
    Oct 29, 2004
    Great game, a well needed sequel cuz the first one got credited for my favorite 64 game of all time. Great Graphics, great sounded and bg music. Tons of New Badges and partners, what more could you ask for. The one thing i would like more is the level gaining experience ways. They should just use experience points like they did in superstar saga. And it could be a little harder. But its Great game, a well needed sequel cuz the first one got credited for my favorite 64 game of all time. Great Graphics, great sounded and bg music. Tons of New Badges and partners, what more could you ask for. The one thing i would like more is the level gaining experience ways. They should just use experience points like they did in superstar saga. And it could be a little harder. But its easiness makes it less frustrating and more fun to play. Definitely one of the best rpgs on the cube! Lets hope they make a third one! Expand
  12. DonVito
    May 3, 2004
    Definitely worth buying! I'm Rick James.
  13. JussiE.
    Aug 5, 2004
    The best rpg yet on cube!
  14. DanielM.
    Jan 11, 2005
    Puts all of the normal rpg's to shame with it's unique battle system.
  15. Yzarc
    Jan 6, 2005
    It's a great game.
  16. WilliamF.
    Feb 6, 2005
    Best game ever.
  17. ViniciusF.
    Jul 26, 2005
    It's Mario made of paper. Needs more?
  18. JohnE.
    Jan 27, 2008
    The combination of an outstanding level design, (the train and the arena were awesome) great dialogue, a great atmosphere, and the innovative battle system produce a game that's definetely worth playing. If you own a Gamecube or a Wii, you owe it to yourself to pick this up and see what a casual, yet surprisingly deep game this can be.
  19. TheoG.
    Nov 12, 2004
    One of the best games I've ever played. Gets better and better the further you go, incredibly stylish, different levels and smart dialogue - tons of content and many kinds of gameplay. Beating a chapter is awesome, esp. the Bowser levels.
  20. ZachL.
    Nov 15, 2004
    This game is the bomb. I am having a little trouble but it is very challenging and I agree that it is the best rpg ever.
  21. ArjunH.
    Oct 16, 2004
    It's challenging and fun.
  22. JustinI.
    Dec 29, 2004
    I was a huge fan of paper mario, but this game WAY outshines it.
  23. Shaun
    Dec 16, 2005
    A classic. Reasons? Well, you'll have to come back to it in ten years to see truly why, but this game gets its stuff from the fun factor, art design, and story. The dialogue itself is self-loathing and hilariously cynical enough to make the most serious person grin. Don't even get me started on the genius level design and wonderful presentation. All the chapters have something A classic. Reasons? Well, you'll have to come back to it in ten years to see truly why, but this game gets its stuff from the fun factor, art design, and story. The dialogue itself is self-loathing and hilariously cynical enough to make the most serious person grin. Don't even get me started on the genius level design and wonderful presentation. All the chapters have something unique and fun in them. Some stand out as classics such as Chapter 3 and the one on the train (Chapter 6? I can't remember). In any case, you have to be mature enough to understand why this is such a great game, and also you must have played it all the way through (duh). Oh, and btw don't pay any attention to dood ajsj's review. The game is not easy if you play the whole thing through (and don't level up like a crazy coward for ten hours so you can blast your way through). The pacing is perfect so don't screw it up for yourself. OH, and the dialogue is long, but worth it. I think we're seeing the rantings of stupid kids who don't like to read coming out on here. OMG gUyz like, there'ss like, ffifty bILLion wordsSss here!!! I would give him credit if the dialogue was crap, however 95% of it is good and needed. That's all. Expand
  24. MicallM.
    Feb 16, 2005
    This game is AWESOME!!! I mean it allows you to play as mario and have other party members to help you out. You also see other realy old folks that you saw in the ariginal game, and goombas and coopas you can talk to (one coopa is your party member). over all I'd rate it a 10.
  25. Chris
    Jun 23, 2008
    This is probably my favorite game of all time. It is interesting, has excellent gameplay, and some very funny parts are in the story, which is great by the way. I loved everything about the battle system, and it never got boring. All of your partners in the game were interesting too, and not just some random people that just join with you. Pick up this game and see how great it is.
  26. DragonKnightofFinalFantasy
    Nov 23, 2004
    I love this game the battle system is fun and frantic, the game is funny, lots of characters, fun even when not in battle, why didn't I give this game a 10? Well too much reading why won't Nintendo get voice actors I mean if you aren't gonna give us online play for games like Double Dash!! at least save us the pain of the constant reading especially since I have a little I love this game the battle system is fun and frantic, the game is funny, lots of characters, fun even when not in battle, why didn't I give this game a 10? Well too much reading why won't Nintendo get voice actors I mean if you aren't gonna give us online play for games like Double Dash!! at least save us the pain of the constant reading especially since I have a little brother that makes me read it aloud to him EVERY CUTSCENE EVERY TEXT BOX! Imagine having to read all of Custom Robo out loud (oh no FLASHBACK AAHHHH!) this is pretty much just as bad but it's an RPG so this is kinda expected but the real problem is the irrating back-tracking traveling everywhere uuuhhhgghhh not too much fun but luckily instead of just being searching for that dumb item needed to advance in the plotline but there is a wealth of extras when coming back to those areas. It's a gret RPG for everyone sadly some might overlook it's cartoony graphics but Wind Waker was cartoony but it was one of the most awesome games for the GC. Pick this up as soon as possible but whatever you do DON"T overlook this RPG masterpiece. Expand
  27. SteveS.
    Dec 17, 2004
    It is ok, but once you have been playing for a while you begin to notice that it seems like a gba game. I have alot of gripes. The dialogue isn't funny Poor inventory system battle system isnt all that fun Also, don't be fooled by the fact that this is a mario game. It isn't terrible but its not good. Not all games with mario are good! If you like mario and luigi, you wont It is ok, but once you have been playing for a while you begin to notice that it seems like a gba game. I have alot of gripes. The dialogue isn't funny Poor inventory system battle system isnt all that fun Also, don't be fooled by the fact that this is a mario game. It isn't terrible but its not good. Not all games with mario are good! If you like mario and luigi, you wont like this because its worse than that gba game. Play that instead. Even if its for a little kid who doesnt notice flaws, it will be too hard for them. Buy something good. Don't be fooled by Mario. Those reviewers just slap a high score on all things mario. Expand
  28. Nov 13, 2011
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is the single most enjoyable game i have ever played, it's turn based fighting system feels awesome, and whenever you die, it's never because of a cheap lucky hit. The whole "Paper" aspect of the game works in genius ways, as the puzzles are downright devious. The music will be eased into your mind for all eternity, and i wouldn't have it any other way.Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is the single most enjoyable game i have ever played, it's turn based fighting system feels awesome, and whenever you die, it's never because of a cheap lucky hit. The whole "Paper" aspect of the game works in genius ways, as the puzzles are downright devious. The music will be eased into your mind for all eternity, and i wouldn't have it any other way. One of the best games ever made, if you have a Gamecube you owe it to yourself to get this game. Expand
  29. Jan 8, 2011
    When I was young, I couldn't wait to play the sequel of one of my favorite games so I counted down the days till its release. When it came out, I bought it and played it, took me a month to beat it, and loved it. I loved how different this was than the original.
  30. Apr 11, 2011
    The Thousand-Year Door is a fun, thoroughly charming RPG for all ages. Pros: Unique graphics and colorful visuals, crafty level design, instantly likable characters, and lots of secrets to unlock. Cons: It's a bit difficult at times because of its reliance on backtracking.

#3 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2004
#3 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2004

1. Weekly Famitsu
    9 / 8 / 8 / 8 - 33 gold [Vol 815; 30 July 2004]
  2. GMR Magazine
    The mix of 2D characters on a 3D plane not only looks appealing, the gameplay that's designed around the concept (Mario's transformation skills in particular) is a creative fusion of art and design. [Nov 2004, p.105]
  3. And it'll soak up far more of YOU than "Mario & Luigi" or the other Mario RPGs ever did, too. It's easy to believe you could spend as long with this as you could a decent-length Final Fantasy title.