Pikmin 2 GameCube
9.1

1. Dec 4, 2010
    This game is amazing, and much better than the previous game. There is nothing I would change in this game, It's just that perfect. This game has amazing replay value too. Just like the first Pikmin game you want to get a better score, so you create new files.
  2. Apr 22, 2011
    Strategy games may be plentiful on PCs but when it comes to quality RTS experiences on consoles, they are few and far between. Even when they do come along, they're often watered down or inferior ports. Thankfully, Pikmin 2 is the gleaming exception. Its not often that a reviewer uses the word "perfect" but this just happens to be one of those cases. First off, the game improves on the original in just about every way. The controls have been tweaked, more Pikmin have been added to increase your strategy options and new randomized dungeons have been added to vastly increase the games replayability. The game is also charming, with characters and enemies that are bursting with personality. The entire experience feels light hearted yet RTS junkies can expect a decent challenge, especially in the latter half of the game when the difficulty ramps up. A pure joy to play and a must buy for anyone who needs proof that not only can an RTS work on consoles, it can be one of the most memorable gaming experiences you've ever had. Expand
  3. Apr 26, 2011
    Pikmin 2 is the sequel to one of Nintendo's most original new series, and it beat the first hand-down. True, it is no strategy game, nor does it fit any category at all; but it is simply a graphical and musical masterpiece of the Gamecube-perhaps the greatest. The versus mode, I never got into, but the co-op levels are really good. And the 1-p mode is a fleshed-out, cute science fair of creatures. Please get it. Expand
  4. Sep 10, 2011
    I Haven't played the first Pikmin game, but if it is anything like this incredible masterpiece, than i'd buy it. This is one of the greatest games ever made to me. A fun story, great music, good graphics, great gameplay, and awesome concept
  5. Oct 23, 2011
    A Masterpiece. The Graphics are beautiful, the humor brilliant, the concept original, the boss battles epic. The Multiplayer and Challenge Modes will give you a whole lot of additional content after the initial quest is over. The cuteness of the Pikmin themselves will draw you in to the point where it truly pains you to let one of the little buggers die. The addition of caves and berries, the new types of Pikmin, and more really add to the strategy. If Miyamoto could continue to make new IPs as great as this, Nintendo will be set for a very long time, not that they aren't already. This is the greatest game I have ever played. Expand
  6. Oct 27, 2011
    This game is just brilliant! this game is my favourite game of all time and so much better then the first!
    The Pikmin differ from each other but a lot you also need a plan before entering a cave or your Pikmin will die very easily.

The music is fantastic but maybe not as good as the first one.
    Now if you will excuse me I'm going to play some Pikmin 2
  7. Jun 17, 2012
    This game is a perfect fusion of exploration and strategy. The pikmin are adorable, and I love the little touches like them humming the pikmin main theme sometimes, or lying down and sleeping when you don't have tasks assigned to them.
    Improvements over the original include a much more alive environment, which is also a bit more diverse now (you start out in a snowy field, and the caves
    are very creative, like sewage pipes, children's toys etc).
    The removal of the 30-day limit seems a tad bit unnecessary here, since time doesn't pass in the caves, and most of the game is spent in the caves. Therefore, the difficulty of the 30-day limit would already be a bit lowered.

Overall though, a must-have game, be it for Gamecube or the New Control Play Wii. I can't wait for the sequel.
  8. Jul 23, 2013
    Best game for the Gamecube EVER! This game is a must have for anyone that has every touched a gamecube or hash't, Pikmin 2 is a masterpiece, the gameplay and graphics are revolutionary, even for a game that came out nearly 10 years ago, much better than the first, (Another awesome game!) It has everything a sequal should have, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is better than the third, which comes out very soon, FINALLY! Talking about it makes me want to drop everything and go play it! It is much easier than the first, as you had a time limit to beat the game, which I disliked and made it much harder. There's just so much to do before and after the game, it's just an amazing game that I remember getting when I was only 7, my favorite childhood game by far, the new pikmin are awesome and of coarse adorable, but some of the underground levels are brutally tough, but not impossible! GET THIS GAME NOW IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!!! Expand
  9. Apr 21, 2013
    (SORRY FOR BAD LANGUAGE) The best GameCube game ever. Just because it was very complete, beautiful level desing, awesome enemies, with detailed graphics, and a very strong gameplay, no many games have that characteristic, that its gameplay is the strongest part. While it hasn't an amazing story and we can't call it "memorable", the game doesn't demand it. It has the classic Mario point, if you're looking for cool stories, this game it's not for Wii U. The game focuses on collecting treasures around the Pikmin world (perhaps the Earth) using these creatures to carry them. Pikmin 2 also has the cave system, similar to the first Zelda for NES, where you can choose the first dungeon to go with liberty. In these caves there are lot of treasures but also enemies. In caves, perhaps you're going to play around 15 hours.
    Technically, I've never noticed a bug and it always run on a decent framerate, very cool. The sound it's relaxing and memorable, you're going to have some melodies for your whole life.
  10. Mar 22, 2013
    It is really amazing, as a child I played so many hours of it. It was very fun and enjoyable. The humour is great and the enemies you defeat are so eccentric and interesting. The world is alien yet familiar, there are many interesting places to discover and new pikmins to find. The caves are challenging but in a good way, it makes it difficult but fun. The game lasted for so long and consumed a lot of my childhood. It made me laugh, made me smile even made me cry. Its packed full with adventures and tasks and the bosses are simply amazing. The pikmins are so adorable and I love it how you feel as if your dictating them. The game also comes with an interesting "Piklopedia" and many bonus games that are great fun when playing with others

The only downside is its on the Gamecube, don't get me wrong its not a problem its just I doubt many people today have them. One of the best games i've played in my childhood.
  11. Apr 20, 2013
    This Game is a masterpiece its not to short or to long the controls are great and the game play is just amazing i can't get over how good this game really is
  12. Aug 8, 2013
    This is pretty much the best game for the gamecube. I love almost everything about it!

Graphics- The graphics are absolutely fantastic, especially for a decently old game. The scenery is beautiful, with strange trees plants, and remains of a mysterious previous civilization. Their are all sorts of creatures with various appearances, ranging from cute ones to creepy ones to ugly ones.
    Everything, even the plants are just bursting with personality. However, the pikmin are by far the cutest creatures in the game. Every time one dies, I feel saddened by their little rising ghost.

Music/ Sounds- The music and sounds are, again, fantastic. Um....... Next category.

Puzzles- This games puzzles can be quite imaginative, but they're never very tricky. Most of the puzzles can be solved in a few seconds. However, actually getting your pikmin to follow your orders can be tricky. The puzzles aren't great, but there not the main features of the game, so that's alright.

Combat- The strategical combat of this game is fantastic. You can use the C-stick to arrange your pikmin, or just toss them at your enemy. Different enemies are introduced frequently, making you have to adapt your battle strategy. Some enemies can easily be defeated by a large group of pikmin, for some your better off with a small force.

I suppose that's all. Hope the sequel's as good!
  13. Sep 11, 2013
    One of, if not, one of my favorite Nintendo games. The game builds on its predecessor making excellent additions such as treasure pieces, new Pikmin and a cave feature which extends the game ten fold...not to mention the lazy but love-able Louie who rejoins everyone's favourite Hocotatian Captain Olimar.

The mixture of a childlike innocence with a darker Darwinian survival feel make
    this game a rare find which for some reason is immeasurably addictive.

The quality of this game is also faultless, graphics are appealing, text is funny yet immersed in the lore and zoology of the series. But at the end of the day, this game gets a perfect score for me because it is a joy to play, and always will be.
  14. Jan 12, 2014
    This game is AMAZING! I just really love the story line, and I love the set up. I also love how there are 2 new Pikmin, making 5 Pikmin now! I just really love this game, it builds suspense, and it also builds anger on the REAL final boss. I just love this game, and I suggest you get it. Its amazing.
  15. May 3, 2014
    The treasure collection aspect and the art in this game are unparalleled. The introduction of caves was one of the best ideas ever. This game is one of the most perfectly constructed games on the planet.
  16. Jul 1, 2014
    Another masterpiece from Miyamoto. Gorgeous and detailed above ground areas followed by unique under ground caves. The double captain mechanic works really well by adding a stronger sense of strategy and multitasking. This game also has one of the most underrated OSTs in gaming history. Rather than being all "up in your face" like the Geno's Maze or Planet Wisp themes, the songs in this game are very subtle and atmospheric, and they fit the area or cave they play over perfectly. The Pikmin AI is completely improved from the first game, and the camera works perfectly, allowing multiple viewing angles ranging from bird's eye view to behind the shoulder. The adventure mode is much longer than that of the first Pikmin game, and there are also Challenge and Multiplayer modes for more content, so you definitely get your money's worth. The only viable complaint I can see for this game is that the purple pikmin break the combat in this game. However, while this is true, the game's various hazards, gimmicks, and bosses still bring the pain in terms of difficulty, and it's VERY easy to lose your pikmin if you aren't careful. I've only had this game for four years now, so it's not even a game from my childhood that I only like for nostalgia purposes. This game is one of my all time favorites. If you ever have the opportunity to pick up a copy, I highly recommend you do. Expand
  17. Jun 14, 2011
    If you loved the first game, then you'll fall even deeper in love with Pikmin 2, one of the best sequels on the GCN. Pros: It practically improves every aspect of the first game; rich, colorful visuals; additional multiplayer; no time limit; hilariously quirky. Cons: Pikmin often get left behind; no widescreen mode; annoying camera.
  18. Jul 3, 2011
    For my 1st playthrough, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I like the unique concept uses of Pikmin and the various (and silly naming) of the treasures you collect in your journey. Plot is given to you straightforward (and solid at that) and leaves you more focused to the gameplay and environment that we call Pikmin. Very lovable game for me. I wish you could have campaigned with a partner in this game. In broader terms, the multiplayer could have used more work. Expand
  19. Aug 15, 2013
    Pikmin 2 is a very imaginative game which lets you go beyond your imagination with these life forms called Pikmin. This game kicks off the Pikmin series with these little creatures that won't stop at anything to help you on your adventure. The graphics are very well designed, though sometimes i think that Pikmin get hung up on walls too often. The controls never have seemed to bother when i was playing through. The game really got gamers into the series and the world of Pikmin. Doing one day in this game was good enough for one day for me because it gets repetitive after too much of playing it.
    I think this game is outstanding and imaginative with the help of these little creatures along with you.
  20. Aug 30, 2013
    Pikmin 2 is a classic game from my childhood that still holds up today better then most games I played from that age and funny to think this was the first Real-Time strategy games I ever played
  21. May 3, 2014
    A very good strategy game for the Gamecube era, Which gets more difficult as the story progresses. The overall game feels very high quality, and rarely to never do you find anything to scrutinize it for. Loads of content and game play to enjoy. A must have for the Gamecube.
  22. Jan 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a fast paced strategy game, not like games where it takes three hours to fight a battle or something like that. It has a good storyline. Funny, cute animals. and gameplay that might be addicting, but not as much as minecraft. It is a good 20 hours too, and there is a little extra you can do when you finish it. Expand
  23. Jun 8, 2013
    The first Pikmin was an original title that mixed elements of a real time strategy game with Nintendo's unique playful charm. Simple intuitive controls and an overall sense of fun made what at first may have seemed a slightly overwhelming experience into something that could be enjoyed by gamers of all backgrounds.

This sequel retains that charm by playing in fundamentally the same way.
    Players take charge of captain Olimar and his friend Louie and command up to 100 Pikmin at a time in order to complete tasks and collect valuable items located within each 'level'. This being a Nintendo title it of course improves upon almost every aspect of the original. Most importantly the '30 day system' that required players to rush to complete their goals has been completely removed. This means that the game can be played at your own pace and exploring the environment is now truly encouraged.

Two new Pikmin varieties have also been added to the mix to compliment the three from the first game. White Pikmin are poisonous and as a result can traverse toxic areas (they can also be sacrificed by feeding them to an enemy) whilst the large purple Pikmin can lift heavier objects and do far more damage in battles. The intelligent level design compliments these new Pikmin brilliantly creating some fiendish puzzles to solve. With the introduction of Louie players are now also able to switch between two groups of Pikmin in order to complete some of these puzzles or to gang up on more difficult enemies. Just be aware that leaving a group unattended and out in the open can end in disaster.

All this being said a couple of minor grips from the original still remain. It is still easy to grab the wrong type of Pikmin from your group which can result in their untimely demise and on rare occasions Pikmin will get trapped on scenery without you noticing and therefore get left behind. These niggles are in no way enough to spoil the game however and I would highly recommend adding both Pikmin titles to your collection.

1. 9 / 9 / 9 / 9 - 36 platinum [Vol 803; 7 May 2004]
  2. It is, as we tried to tell the blonde at the bar, universally appealing - because it's easy on the eye, taxes the brain just enough, and keeps you entertained no matter who you are. Blooming brilliant.
  3. With tons of new levels, characters, and treasures, this game will have you coming back for more, even after you've paid off that debt. They've taken everything that we've held dear about the original, and expanded it throughout, making a more complete game and creating something that is a pleasure to play.