Pokemon Colosseum GameCube

7.9

1. Aug 8, 2012
    I absolutely loved this game when I was younger, I liked having a story different to the usual scenario of starting your Pokemon journey at a young age and finding a rare level 5 pokemon and going through the cities, especially through the fact that you start with an Espeon and Umbreon, the story was fullfilling and memorable.
  2. Nov 6, 2011
    It is a unique game in the Pokemon series. Although you can't catch Pokemon in the wild, you do have a long storyline where you can catch Shadow Pokemon from other trainers and purify them to battle with a chance to train them.
  3. Jan 8, 2011
    Whilst nothing new is bought to the pokemon world, there is nothing relatively bad about the game. The gameplay on the gamecube is better than that of the Gameboy, but there are no original villians to fight, and you are unable to catch any pokemon but shadow pokemon. On the upside, at least you get to see the great hairstyles of characters like Mirror B. Worth buying, but not worthWhilst nothing new is bought to the pokemon world, there is nothing relatively bad about the game. The gameplay on the gamecube is better than that of the Gameboy, but there are no original villians to fight, and you are unable to catch any pokemon but shadow pokemon. On the upside, at least you get to see the great hairstyles of characters like Mirror B. Worth buying, but not worth playing to the end more than once. Expand
  4. N.D.P.
    Apr 4, 2004
    This game is good. But the RPG Adventure was kind of short. And i also get disapointed in battle mode. But i think Pokemon Stadium games were better. This game is good but could have been better.
  5. HW.
    Jun 20, 2004
    Excellent game for pokemon fans!
  6. G.H.
    Jan 3, 2005
    Pokemon coloseum must beat stadium and he will.
  7. SolomonR.
    Oct 4, 2007
    when i first saw the preview i had my first insperation! nothing then would stop me from getting that game, it's like a 3d story mode of ruby and sapphire, with a great story line. and it has another mode from just story mode and yes the original battle your friend using the GBA via gamecube link. and mt. batlle 100 is one of the most challenging things on that game as well as when i first saw the preview i had my first insperation! nothing then would stop me from getting that game, it's like a 3d story mode of ruby and sapphire, with a great story line. and it has another mode from just story mode and yes the original battle your friend using the GBA via gamecube link. and mt. batlle 100 is one of the most challenging things on that game as well as getting through all the coloseums which get progressively harder as you go along. the fact that this is a challenging game makes this game worthwhile for a while. Expand
  8. gcgamer
    Jun 20, 2007
    Pokemon colliseum: good game great gameplay nice battles good graphics! now thats a game and a half.
  9. JayK.
    Mar 25, 2004
    I'm rating this for my son, 9 years old. He loves it. All I hear about is "Dad, check this out.", "Dad, look at this cool pokemon.", "Dad, I just got Pokemon X!". From his perspective, it's a 9, since he said it isn't as good as the Zelda:WW game.
  10. AlexS.
    May 28, 2004
    It's the best Pokemon game I've ever played!
  11. Jun 6, 2013
    Very different from any of the other Pokemon games (aside from maybe PC XD) Colosseum is the true Pokemon JRPG. The game has a much darker tone than the other pokemon games, and it's gameplay is much different considering all battles are double style, and you can only catch so many pre determined pokemon (admittedly probably the games biggest weak point aswell as its strong point) so theyVery different from any of the other Pokemon games (aside from maybe PC XD) Colosseum is the true Pokemon JRPG. The game has a much darker tone than the other pokemon games, and it's gameplay is much different considering all battles are double style, and you can only catch so many pre determined pokemon (admittedly probably the games biggest weak point aswell as its strong point) so they were able to develop a unique challenge they couldn't with other Pokemon games. The soundtrack is really great and all the battle themes are good enough to want to hear again and again. There are awesome locations like Mt battle where you have to fight 100 battles, winning all 100 is one of the greatest feelings, especially if you do it in a special mode where if you win all 100 in a row you get a special prize. The main characters design is great, and it's fun all the way through Expand
  12. Jun 20, 2013
    Finally! Pokemon brought to life! Although it's not exactly like the legendary games, Colosseum is as close as you can get to a console version Pokemon. It lacks some parts here and there, and in some cases is a bit too tough, it's good plot and fun gameplay overshadows those faults in this epic Pokemon installment!
  13. Mar 31, 2014
    By far the best game I owned on my GameCube, I have replayed this game over 10 times and it just doesn't get boring. Everything from the characters, the awesome levitating bike that the main character rides, to the Pokemon in the game, to the graphics, to the storyline is perfect. A little off topic but if they make a sequel to this and XD: Gale of darkness on the wii U, I will gladly buyBy far the best game I owned on my GameCube, I have replayed this game over 10 times and it just doesn't get boring. Everything from the characters, the awesome levitating bike that the main character rides, to the Pokemon in the game, to the graphics, to the storyline is perfect. A little off topic but if they make a sequel to this and XD: Gale of darkness on the wii U, I will gladly buy that console.

This was the best 3D pokemon game that has ever come out !
  14. Jun 11, 2014
    WARNING: This review contains minor spoilers involving the Pokémon included in this game and the places you visit. No major plot details are leaked. Enjoy!

Leading astray from popular opinion, I am actually a huge fan of this game, and would go as far as to say that it is the single greatest game in the entire Pokémon franchise. This game manages to both fit the casual and serious Pokémon gamers at the same time, and it does so with features that many other gamers complain about in the game.

First of all, there are very limited options on which Pokémon you can use. However, in a single area there tends to be a wide range of Pokémon for a player to choose from. One of the very first places you go, Pyrite Town, has a battle square. Each trainer here has a shadow Pokémon. This was a clever way for the game to let you pick a Pokémon you like from a selection right from the start, or even just if you like a certain type. For example, if I prefer physical attacks, I could use the Misdreavus found in the Battle Square. If I want to use a bulky support Pokémon, I could use Noctowl, and for a Pokémon to help me catch others, Skiploom. The game also encourages you to use Pokémon that you normally wouldn't, which I personally think is a good thing. Many players will just use their favourite Pokémon in every single game, which would get stale after a while. Pokémon Colosseum helps you make new favourites.

The story is fantastic, but I promised no spoilers, and I will fulfill that promise. The game does use Pokémon basics (such as the Elite Four) in fantastic and innovative ways, however.

Many people focus on the story mode for this game, which I do a lot of the time as well. However, this leads to people forgetting that the "Colosseum Mode" exists. Colosseum Mode lets you basically do everything that Pokémon Stadium did, excluding the Mini-Games, and improved upon it. Do you want to battle your generation 3 Pokémon with your friends in glorious 3D? You can link your Game Boy Advances up to this game and do so! It also has Mt. Battle, which is the "Gym Leader Tower" feature from Pokémon Stadium 2, sans the Gym Leaders.

I also disagree strongly with the annoyances at every battle in this game being double battles. It is true, but it adds layers of depth to the fights. I was never a fan of double battles on the hand-held generation 3 games, but I grew to love them because of Pokémon Colosseum. Even if you think you will hate the double battles, I would advise for you to pick this game up, as it could very easily change your mind. Having to "snag" or "catch" the Pokémon from trainers also works well because these are double battles. If they were single battles, it would be much more of a nuisance, and the game would grow stale much faster. This way you can begin trying to catch their Pokémon with one of your Pokémon's turns, while continuing to bulldoze the rest of your opponent's Pokémon with your other.

While you may not agree with me in saying that this game is the best in the franchise, I would advise you to pick it up. Especially if you are one of the people who are growing tired of the general Pokémon formula. "Collect 8 gym badges, fight the Elite Four and Champion and then do some battling features afterwards". Pokémon Colosseum takes the formula of Pokémon and places it in a well-made, innovative and different storyline, and for this, I give it a 10/10.
  15. May 4, 2016
    Great pokemon game on the gamecube very good quality for its time, good story, and it felt like it was for an older audience and more violent it was awesome and creative areas and designs.
  16. Feb 16, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although many people dislike this game for some reason, i for one think its one of the most memorable pokemon experiences available. With a well thought out story in comparison to other Pokemon games, and very memorable battles and characters. It also has a more adult feel to it and the music is simply great. Yes perhaps it is not what you would expect from a pokemon game, but the dark atmosphere and the cast of amazing characters make this pokemon game stand out from the rest and delivered a unique experience. Expand
  17. Jun 3, 2016
    great game, one of the best of pokemon, now a days its still enjoyable for me and the soundtrack is amazing, genius sonority did a insane work, much better than game freak, that only copy paste game after game, if you didnt play it and u kinda like pokemon try it, really, and after that one pokemon XD Gale of Darkness, 2 best pokemon games ever
  18. Jul 28, 2016
    This is better than Stadium and 2 COMBINED. The gameplay is at it's best and the gameplay isn't repetitive and the game appeals almost to anyone this game should not be hated.
  19. Jan 30, 2017
    Probably the most underrated Pokemon game of all time and definitely my favorite. Re-playable with the "Battle Now" mode in the game besides the awesome story mode. One of the first to be 3d besides Pokemon Stadium, making it all the more appealing to any Pokemon fan.

#8 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2004
#8 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2004

Its presentation is well below par, and the battles quickly become repetitive, but there remains an oddly addictive spark beneath its problems.
    An announcer might have been nice, but at least we're spared any potentially awful voice performances. You'll get more out of the game if you can get your GBA in on the action, but the mini-RPG isn't a bad addition.
  3. Play Magazine
    Just like the handheld Pokemon games, the graphics seem to be underdeveloped and the gameplay focus is really on catching, raising, and battling with the assorted critters, overshadowing the characters and story rather than supporting them. [Mar 2004, p.59]