8.5

1. Oct 17, 2012
    Outstanding. This sequel fixed all of the problems Colosseum had while keeping the fun elements of Pokémon that we all know and love. Sure, you can't catch any Pokémon you want, but I honestly like the Shadow Pokémon system. For those who don't know, the plot revolves around and evil organization called Cipher returning from the events of the first console game and using Shadow Pokémon to accomplish their goals. Shadow Pokémon are simply Pokémon whose hearts have been sealed off allowing them to become more powerful than they were before(but with a few usage drawbacks). It's the job of the silent protagonist, Michael, to capture and purify all of the Shadow Pokémon he can and destroy the revived Cipher organization. I do believe this game is worth giving a shot: Pokémon XD, it's a different Pokémon adventure, but a damn fun one. Expand
  2. Jan 4, 2011
    the best Pokemon game I've played, the graphics are great as is the sound, the story is really good it has some really memorable characters, and it's a challenge, add has some good Game boy hook up multiplayer, this is by far an amazing game HIGHLY recommended to any Pokemon fan
  3. May 12, 2013
    One of my favorite Pokemon games!
    This is the only console game of Pokemon I have ever played. I was very impressed with it, the models of the Pokemon were true to their design, the graphics were very good (especially considering the time this game was released.)
    I honestly don't even remember many details of the plot and whether it was good or bad, but is that really why people play
    Pokemon? The fighting is nearly identical to handheld Pokemon games, it does not disappoint. Expand
  4. Apr 21, 2014
    Most underrated game ever. Critics don't appreciate this game enough, and it needs love. While not the best Gamecube game, it should be an essential addition. Memorable characters, a plot that has more depth than most Pokemon games, and challenging. Plus, who doesn't love the fact that an Eevee is your starter?

1. Older gamers may find Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness simply lacks the challenge that they're used to in an RPG, meaning that this is a title best left for those youngsters that were toddlers (or not even born yet) when the series first made its mark on Japanese shores.
  2. With the franchise failing to replicated its handheld success on the console, XD is hampered by linear gameplay and limited options.
  3. As far as Nintendo seems to be concerned, at least until the first DS outing, Pokémon begins and ends with the Game Boy. Pokémon XD is tedious and restrictive. The message is clear: if you want Pokémon, crack open a GBA.