Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones GameCube

• Release Date: Dec 1, 2005
8.1

1. KavikaC.
    Oct 25, 2006
    First off, some of the previous comments about this game being glitch free are highly overrated. I've had a soft-lock in the first 20 minutues of play (the game ran, but wouldn't listen to my controls until I reset), I've found multiple camera glitches, several physics glitches, w/ monsters popping out above me during combat, retarded AI (where they'll just stand and First off, some of the previous comments about this game being glitch free are highly overrated. I've had a soft-lock in the first 20 minutues of play (the game ran, but wouldn't listen to my controls until I reset), I've found multiple camera glitches, several physics glitches, w/ monsters popping out above me during combat, retarded AI (where they'll just stand and look at you if you hang off an edge next to them during combat), and multiple sound cutout/screwy music glitches. Besides these, the voice acting is 50% exceptionally good, 50% deadpan awful, though a lot of the fault exists with the script writers. Half the levels are drop dead awesome works of artistic brilliance, the other half are so monotonous, you'd A) think they're from a playstation 1 game, graphically/environmentally B) play them on "auto-pilot", the first time through, without consulting the camera controls, since the jumping puzzles in said levels are _that_ predictable. The enemy design is generally uninspired, and the battle system is TOO hard with the "light" prince, and too easy with the dark prince. The auto-kill is a pretty neat feature in concept, but the flaky control left me frustrated. You'll get quite annoyed when playing as the dark prince, since he loses health constantly, even when you're trying to sit there and figure out a jumping puzzle. Worst of all in this game is the SEVERE inconsistancy of save points. Sometimes there's 5 when you only needed 1 or 2, and other times, you go HALF THE LEVEL without seeing a save point; get through a jumping puzzle after the third time dying, then get through a fast-kill sequence after the third time dying, through a dark prince segment, through a "hunter hound" (?) battle sequence, only to find our there's YET ANOTHER jumping puzzle before you find a save point. They got so lazy at times, they stopped even requiring the level designers to put in a fountain to save, as they claim they'll do in the beginning of the game, and instead just inserted a save dialog where they'd normally have a death reload type checkpoint. Overall, this game COULD be a timeless classic, along w/, say, Metroid Prime, or Radiant SIlvergun (yes, that much potential!) if Ubisoft took another year to iron out all the bugs, throw out half the monotonous levels, polish the battle system to make it a bit less "sheer death/sheer boredom", get rid of the dark prince health loss, and hire on a writer again to bang on the script. As it is, the game is a cliche of every problem that has plauged 3D platform games since day 1, and is not one I would even recommend playing. Expand

#16 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2005
#24 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2005

1. Whichever version you choose, though, the action is top-notch awesome. With the series' clever design and sense of humor fully restored, The Two Thrones is a stellar return to form forPrince of Persia .
  2. games(TM)
    New traps and techniques make for some spectacular exhibitions of skill, and with game being significantly larger than anything previous, there's enough here to challenge even the most dedicated Prince Of Persia fan. [Christmas 2005, p.94]
  3. Edge Magazine
    This is easily the better sequel, a firm improvement on "Warrior Within." So why the long face? For the simple and saddest reason of all: ennui. [Christmas 2005, p.100]