Resident Evil 4 GameCube

• Also On: PC
9.4

1. MeNotU
    Nov 14, 2006
    Don't understand what the hype is about. Same controls, but with worse graphics. RE remake and RE 2 are my favs. RE4 is frustrating, and hardly revolutionary, especially with the same fighting techniques as before. Mini-games are good, and the individual aiming is nice - but you can't blow off any other part of the Ganados except their head! OVERATED GAME! Change the control Don't understand what the hype is about. Same controls, but with worse graphics. RE remake and RE 2 are my favs. RE4 is frustrating, and hardly revolutionary, especially with the same fighting techniques as before. Mini-games are good, and the individual aiming is nice - but you can't blow off any other part of the Ganados except their head! OVERATED GAME! Change the control style and bring back zombies and you'll have a winner. Expand
  2. Billy
    Jan 23, 2005
    Great graphics and story, but way to easy. What happend to hard games that took a long time to beat? This took me only 20 hours. Almost simplistic puzzles that don't really make the game feel like it should even be in the RE series. Cool game, but best game ever? not even close.
  3. NewFaceofRev
    Feb 13, 2009
    Perhaps it's the fact that I got round to buying it late, maybe by the time I played it most of it's innovations had been stolen by other games, but i'm just not into it. The graphics while nice are incredibly dull, It showed me shades of grey i never even knew existed. It's a relatively easy game which I suppose is to be expected given it's mainstream popularity, Perhaps it's the fact that I got round to buying it late, maybe by the time I played it most of it's innovations had been stolen by other games, but i'm just not into it. The graphics while nice are incredibly dull, It showed me shades of grey i never even knew existed. It's a relatively easy game which I suppose is to be expected given it's mainstream popularity, but how anyone got to grips with the controls just baffles me. The hardest part of the first 30 minutes of gameplay was trying to make Leon move through a door! Surprisingly it seems to be a common complaint but i'm always told "If you just overlook the controls the game is AMAZING" well sorry but I can't overlook the controls, that's the one thing I can't overlook, the controls ARE the game. Most enemy encounters can be handled by alerting the enemy to your wherabouts as soon as you enter the area by firing your gun to get their attention, and then picking them off as they come towards you in single file. Apparantly this is playing the game wrong as most people I watch play this simply charge into the enemy any then claim it's scary when they become surrounded, well of course it is, but your not MEANT to let the bad guys surround you. Despite the camera shift Leon still seems to move like he did in the old Resident Evil games which is hardly a good thing. The story is quite good in comparison to other Horror games, the voice acting is competant and the sound design is actually masterful. Honestly there is very little I can say against the production values of this game, it really does seem like a labour of love from capcom that the game seems so polished. You will probably enjoy this game immensly, but for an old school gamer like me, the fact that it's so clunky and unweildy to move around, aim your gun and generally interact with the environment is a major turn-off. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea. This is my girlfriends favourite game of all time, and somehow she takes it as personally offensive that I don't share her love of it. Then again she doesn't get what I see in Bioshock so perhaps we aren't very compatible. Expand
  4. Feb 16, 2014
    Easily the last greatest RE title to have ever been created. However, this was the game that put the series in the wrong direction...

The gameplay is excellent and more action oriented which is a drawback IMO. RE should not be an action game...ever...BUT they managed to pull it off in a balanced way, so I can applaud their honest effort. However, the story was really weak... I found

However, the story was really weak... I found myself enjoying the atmosphere and the creepiness and the oldschool gaming vibe. To elaborate, I've finished the game and I realised there was absolutely no story, no interesting plot or twists...nothing to connect you to the characters emotionally like in RE1,2,3.
    Or I would have given this game at least a 9/10...

If Capcom returned to this formula, and remove all action elements or at least tone it down to RE4's level. They would be back in business!

I absolutely enjoyed the bosses, they truly felt epic but like mentionned, they were empty and had no background or compelling story at all.

Make a good RE game: focus on the story/characters, reduce action, augment creepiness.

All in all this game does deserve praise.. You can tell Shinji Mikami was definately part of the game development... you feel the quality and love. As opposed to the new "tae bo/ infomercial" RE5,6 call of duty shooter.
    You young generations have no clue what makes a good game.... Capcom thanks for turning your back on your LOYAL fans who supported the series.
  5. LeroyB.
    Jan 10, 2005
    It's such a step in the wrong direction compared to the trail set in RE2.
  6. Mar 23, 2016
    I really don't understand what makes this game special for so many people. To me, it marks the point where resident evil starts going downhill, it's no longer about clever puzzles and being low on health and ammo and feeling the next step could very well be your last, instead this is more like a shooter were you are just shooting all the time against 1000 dudes on the outside, no fear, noI really don't understand what makes this game special for so many people. To me, it marks the point where resident evil starts going downhill, it's no longer about clever puzzles and being low on health and ammo and feeling the next step could very well be your last, instead this is more like a shooter were you are just shooting all the time against 1000 dudes on the outside, no fear, no horror, no anything, just shooting and shooting. And they even add a shop? What the hell, is this resident evil or Counter strike? The game kinda starts to get boring after the first two massacres. Also, you have "over the shoulder" perspective but the character moves like in old resident evils, it's SOOOO unintuitive.

To finish, something really annoying was he fact that the action takes place in Spain and the voice actors are clearly speaking mexican dialect, it makes me feel the game is kind of a joke, they didn't even research anything about the place the game was taking place in? I only give it a 6 because graphically it's kinda nice even if it's old and because the storyline was good despite the mexican thing kinda taking away the immersion.
  7. JohnB.
    Jan 9, 2006
    Well, compared to most videogames nowadays, it was pretty damn good, but I feel this generation is deteriorating. As time goes by, all we demand is better and better graphics, smoother and smoother fps, better and performance when no one seems to realize that with every new system they pump out, gameplay stays the same or gets worse. Yes Resident Evil 4 was good and something fresh, but Well, compared to most videogames nowadays, it was pretty damn good, but I feel this generation is deteriorating. As time goes by, all we demand is better and better graphics, smoother and smoother fps, better and performance when no one seems to realize that with every new system they pump out, gameplay stays the same or gets worse. Yes Resident Evil 4 was good and something fresh, but at the end I still felt unsatisfied. I agree with the review by "Gamer's Hell" criticizing how the game becomes drawn out towards the end, becoming almost mindless killing, making no more than seemingly interactive B-rated Arnold movie. There was minimal thinking involved and one's goal was to speed towards the cutscenes as fast as possible. Strangely enough, I suspect we've turn into nothing but a bunch of zombies ourselves, satisfied with anything that feeds our visual bloodlust. Time will probably cause this game to age away like a rusted machine rather than like fine wine, but hopefully by then, gamers and gamemakers will open their eyes and invest more time into the actual gamePLAYING itself rather than how fast or well the graphics can run. If not, I'd rather just watch a movie. Though this game has alot of flaws, it is a very good start in terms of this generation finally shedding their technogically gluttunous attitudes and appealing to audiences through glimpses of real videogame playing. Expand

#1 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2005
#1 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2005

1. Weekly Famitsu
    10 / 9 / 9 / 10 - 38 platinum [Jan 2005]
  2. Simply put, Resident Evil 4 is the tightest, most accessible game in the series and one of the best games out there.
  3. Magnificent. It's a terrific, if tardy, showcase for the GameCube, and it's every bit as worthy as the Halos, the GTAs, and the MGSes of this generation. This is a stunning return to form. (Happy Trails, GMR staff!) [Feb 2005]