Resident Evil 4 GameCube

• Also On: PC
9.4

1. xmywong
    Feb 26, 2009
    The original Resident Evil was a landmark for the Survival Horror genre. The game pretty much revolutionized and at the same time, perfected the mechanics and elements of the "scary" game experience. After all, nothing quite like a big corporation being behind what essentially throws a city into a zombie apocalypse. After a stellar remake of the original Resident Evil and a great prequel The original Resident Evil was a landmark for the Survival Horror genre. The game pretty much revolutionized and at the same time, perfected the mechanics and elements of the "scary" game experience. After all, nothing quite like a big corporation being behind what essentially throws a city into a zombie apocalypse. After a stellar remake of the original Resident Evil and a great prequel in Resident Evil Zero, Capcom decided to finally move forward with the series. And the way they did it was by getting back into the driver's seat and hitting the gas until they ran through every idea and gameplay element they could enhance and improve on. Resident Evil 4 looks, feels, and plays completely different from every game before it. Gone are the fixed camera angles and some clunky control issues, or the lack of really knowing where you're shooting. The new over the shoulder camera gives this a very nice perspective and surprisingly has no issues. Never did I have to use the right stick to get the camera under a little control as it followed me very well. Bravo, Capcom, bravo. The same basic mechanics of combat remain. You hold a button to run, and you hold another to raise your gun and shoot. This has been a hallmark of Resident Evil gameplay and it works better than ever with the new laser sight. You will be able to very accurately pinpoint wherever you'd like to shoot on the enemy, and they will respond accordingly. You can blast weapons out of their hands, take out their legs, or like usual, just pop off those heads. New to the franchise is a handy action button. Not only does this give you much more freedom in where you can go, but you will be very surprised at the lengths Capcom has taken this. You will be able to jump over fences, through windows, climb ladders, or knock them down as enemies are climbing. You can even push tables or shelves in front of doors and windows to barricade anything from coming through while you set up a fort. The perfection of gameplay here is just one aspect of what makes this game so brilliant. The setting is very different as well. Gone are the zombies and Umbrella Corporation. Resident Evil 4's plot surrounds Leon Kennedy (from Resident Evil 2) as an agent for the government sent to find the whereabouts of the president's missing daughter somewhere in Europe. What you're up against is far different from the slow moving, moaning zombies of previous games. These are humans, infected humans. They speak, they tell each other what to do (if you speak spanish, you'll actually know exactly what they're planning during attacks), they will run and chase after you, try to cut off where you're going, and carry weapons. The story behind Las Plagas (the parasite infecting them) becomes more and more interesting as you go on. What I enjoy most about Resident Evil 4 is change. Capcom has boldly changed the gameplay and it's better than it has ever been. What pairs up nicely with this is that the gameplay itself in the game changes as well. You will come across new weapons and have the option to upgrade them, you'll have various approaches in boss fights, there is another companion you'll get mid-way through the game and will have to protect. It's all very well done and they certainly kept this from being a game where you just walk from level to level and shoot everything in sight. Especially with the added game modes. Not only can you go through multiple completions with your old weapons, but after completing the game players will be able to play the Assignment Ada and Mercenaries modes. Assignment Ada puts you in Ada Wong's perspective throughout the story. You will have to carry out her tasks and it's very well done. Mercenaries is the really big fish here though. It's essentially a Survival Mode, but with a slew of different characters (all with different weapons and abilities) to play as. On four different locations, your job is to get the highest score possible in the allotted time. Scattered (and sometimes hidden) across the levels will be health and time pickups for you to attempt to keep the carnage going for insane amounts of time. Resident Evil 4's main story mode is good enough, but this is just tasty frosting atop a delicious cake. After all my experiences with Capcom and their games, I have always found it a little annoying how they will release quick sequels with small changes to the gameplay. They will maintain quality, but Resident Evil 4 is proof that change is not only good, but it can sometimes lead to the single best entry in the series. Expand
  2. RicardoP
    Jan 11, 2010
    Resident Evil 4 is an Evolution of the Series, but ultimately not an evolution to Survival Horror, sure the games is a solid 10 -- revolutionary and awesome but horror elements in the game started to go downfalll in this entry (compared to the old ones of course), nevertheless a 25 hour rush videogame greatness!
  3. JoshK.
    Jan 11, 2005
    This is no exceptional... a brilliant, magnificent, a truly remarkable masterpiece. Do not get me wrong... it's a classic. CAPCOM and Shinji Mikami-san have created a game that will capture the image of realization. Hideo Kojima... you may have to be lectured by Mikami.
  4. RobC.
    Jan 11, 2005
    Yes! The best survival horror to date. All new system actually make encounters more enjoyable. Follow up well to RE 1-3 and it is cool to see characters from the previous REs.
  5. SaketR.
    Jan 11, 2005
    Resident Evil 4 is the penultimate gaming pinnacle witnessed this generation. For all the Xbox's and PS2's great games, Resident Evil 4 outsts them without much bother. Truly a genre defining game with more substance than Hype... now thats something to be proud of.
  6. ZachL.
    Jan 11, 2005
    If this doesn't get nintendo some serious sales, then something is wrong with this world.
  7. KevinY.
    Nov 14, 2005
    This game is amazing. It literaly scared the crap out of me. I'm not kidding I had to change my underwear twice while playing this game. Great action, great story, great weapons, great game. Buy it now! Go! Buy it insted of reading this usless review by some crazied freak!
  8. TerryR.
    Jan 10, 2005
    AMazing...How can they do this on Gamecube! i'm blown away....its simple...no questions...just go get this game!
  9. Robertortiz
    Oct 11, 2005
    This is the hottest game on gamecube and i didnt even beat the second disk.
  10. NenJ.
    Nov 10, 2005
    PERFECT!!!
  11. HolyCrap
    Holy Crap!
  12. JoeyDeA.
    Jan 12, 2005
    One of the few games this gen to actually surpass my expectations. It's right above Ninja Gaiden as the best action game I've ever played. It destroys every other RE. Good God, this game is almost TOO good.
  13. LeroyJ.
    Jan 12, 2005
    Easily the best in the series and one of the most entertaining and exciting games in years.
  14. LeoO.
    Jan 13, 2005
    in my opinion this is the best game to come out in the past few years, i was a little disappointed in halo 2,and gta san andreas is just the same old game with tons of extras,re 4 simply blew me away,i havent been so excited about a game in a long time, every change made in the series was done so well,by getting rid of zombies,i used to just run past the zombies,but now the villagers will in my opinion this is the best game to come out in the past few years, i was a little disappointed in halo 2,and gta san andreas is just the same old game with tons of extras,re 4 simply blew me away,i havent been so excited about a game in a long time, every change made in the series was done so well,by getting rid of zombies,i used to just run past the zombies,but now the villagers will literally chase you down if you run,ammo is far more plentiful,more weapons,upgrades,and a sniper rifle!!!. if you dont get this game you will be missing a great gaming experience. Expand
  15. AlexK.
    Jan 14, 2005
    Loving this game...
  16. Al
    Jan 14, 2005
    HOLY BLEEEP!!! This game is outstanding.
  17. BrianM.
    Jan 15, 2005
    WOW, is simply an understatment. I love this game,getting my head cut off by a chainsaw bearing freak, thats worth $50.
  18. EricA.
    Jan 15, 2005
    A completely new direction for the series, and an amazing one at that. There isn't a thing from the old games that hasn't been improved or completely redone. This game is not only an example of the evolution of survival horror games but an example of the evolution of gaming as a whole. One of the best games ever made, and a must own for any who consider themself a true gamer.
  19. StephenP.
    Jan 16, 2005
    This game is amazing. I wasn't planning on buying it because the story line sounded lame, but as soon as i read some reviews and bought it i realized that it might be the best resident evil yet. must have for RE fans.
  20. BrianW
    Jan 17, 2005
    This game is flat out, the most entertaining game i've ever played in my recent life. I cannot remember the last time I was so glued to any game on any platform. BELIEVE the hype, this is the best game i've ever created.
  21. Mr.Trey
    Jan 17, 2005
    This game is simply amazing. There was so much hype I was somewhat worried if it would be demeaned by all the publicity (i.e. halo 2). It acctually blew my mind more than I had expected. When I first saw the screen shots I thought, "Those don't look THAT great." Then, I played the game and everything changed. I can't believe it looks that good ALL the time. I noticed some This game is simply amazing. There was so much hype I was somewhat worried if it would be demeaned by all the publicity (i.e. halo 2). It acctually blew my mind more than I had expected. When I first saw the screen shots I thought, "Those don't look THAT great." Then, I played the game and everything changed. I can't believe it looks that good ALL the time. I noticed some critics didn't really enjoy the story. Maybe it's not your critque, but I always liked the story line, even if it does get a bit lengthy, some games are so great action and playing wise the story isn't as important (i.e. devil may cry). Probably my favorite part is the fact you can aim at your enemies, even if there are about oh 5 coming at you at once and all you have is a pistol. It adds a new level of strategy of play, and the creepy part is they start to predict your moves if you do one thing too much, like shooting their heads out everytime will eventually lead them to duck out of the way. While there are a few small problems like no strafing, the cinematic view making it somewhat small for my TV, and the same villagers designs, they are so sparse and trivial that it doesn't hurt the gameplay. I think that there are 4 major games for every big system (xbox, ps2, pc, and gcn). They are halo 2, gta:sa, half-life 2, and resident evil 4, respectively. Halo 2 definetly didn't live up to what I had heard, I enjoy the old goldeneye or perfect dark over that game. GTA:SA was very good, although some of the missions were just irritating to do. And I've never played Half-Life 2. But in my opinion, Resident Evil 4 is the best new game to get, and is currently 2nd in my favorite games of all time (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is 1st, what else?). Expand
  22. Paska_P.K.
    It's AWSOME!
  23. AriaR.
    Very Good Game.
  24. ChristianH.
    Jan 18, 2005
    There is nothing wrong with it. Everything is right.
  25. J-Dude
    Jan 18, 2005
    This game is amazing, it certainly is the best game I have ever played.
  26. AndrewLi
    Nov 8, 2005
    OMG!! This game is one of the best games I have for the Gamecube! This is a MUST HAVE. I pity everyone who doesnt' have it!!!
  27. HueJ.
    Jan 19, 2005
    RE4 kills the past RE games like a riot gun to a villagers head. The graphics are amazing and there aren't any hiccups during the game no matter the number of villagers on the screen. It would be nice to be able to change weapons on the fly though. Overall it's addictive and pleasing to the senses.
  28. AndyS.
    Jan 19, 2005
    Best game I have ever Played!
  29. ZeddicusZorander
    Jan 21, 2005
    On par with Half Life 2, without a doubt.
  30. JPRallito
    Jan 21, 2005
    Wow.. just wow. The only logical thought I have for you is just play the game.
  31. Nathdman
    Dec 17, 2005
    This is the best game I have ever had the pleasure of playing. It is a dramiatic improval over past RE games. The guns and bosses are amazing. I've beat it more than ten times. Before this game I just seen the Gamecube as a waste of money because of the poor game selection. But when I first got this i was blown away. This game did to the gamecube like God of War did for PS2 and Halo This is the best game I have ever had the pleasure of playing. It is a dramiatic improval over past RE games. The guns and bosses are amazing. I've beat it more than ten times. Before this game I just seen the Gamecube as a waste of money because of the poor game selection. But when I first got this i was blown away. This game did to the gamecube like God of War did for PS2 and Halo did for XBOX. I would buy a game cube just to get this game. Expand
  32. Ryencoke
    Jan 20, 2005
    The best Resident Evil Game to date. Breathtaking.
  33. JoeSchmoeI
    Jan 20, 2005
    Anyone reading this, believe the hype. Seriously, just rent it if you don't belive all of the 10's. The control, atmosphere, everything. And I dont even like Resident Evil games. Get it?
  34. Mortis316uk
    Jan 20, 2005
    A masterpiece and a reason to buy a GC.
  35. ShadeD.B.
    Jan 24, 2005
    Excellent game...love the shooting sound, love the enemies and bosses, love the camera angle,love this cut scenes,love the fact that we dont have crappy puzzles no more, extreamly well directed,the graphics are absouluetly the best .Its not easy to consider this game anything less then some of the best games ever created.... it makes you want to smack those who bragg over the hard work Excellent game...love the shooting sound, love the enemies and bosses, love the camera angle,love this cut scenes,love the fact that we dont have crappy puzzles no more, extreamly well directed,the graphics are absouluetly the best .Its not easy to consider this game anything less then some of the best games ever created.... it makes you want to smack those who bragg over the hard work put in to make hl2 or even Doom3 for that matter.... Geniously created. Expand
  36. B.ligirent
    Jan 26, 2005
    Best gamecube game.....up there with best console game....ever.Awesome graphics, engine, fun.
  37. RobertA.
    Jan 26, 2005
    Cha ching. JackPot. This game is won eerie fun ride. Other Resident Evil games will never be the same because of the great aiming system of RE4. The zombie-like people are everywhere in this one. Spooky blasting good time.
  38. SethJ.
    Oct 27, 2005
    RE4 was by far one of the best games i've evr played. All the other RE games are great, but none match up to RE4. This is the game that made the gamecube. The graphics were unbelieveable, the story line was great, and just the whole game was a very big success. I look forward to playing RE5.
  39. BrianS.
    Dec 7, 2005
    I bought a Gamecube just to play this game when it came out and it was well worth the cash :)
  40. WaylonC.
    Jan 28, 2005
    Best game for Gamecube so far. I'm now waiting for the ps2 version.
  41. Salmon
    Jan 31, 2005
    I had no expectations at all when I first saw this game. I mean, yeah, it was eye-candy, but nothing more. With the game in my hand...it´s like butter melting in sunlight. I just can´t get enough of this game. I´m started my second round just after finishing my first one. Best graphical game this generation, 30 fps (some framedrops though), best sound over all Gamecube I had no expectations at all when I first saw this game. I mean, yeah, it was eye-candy, but nothing more. With the game in my hand...it´s like butter melting in sunlight. I just can´t get enough of this game. I´m started my second round just after finishing my first one. Best graphical game this generation, 30 fps (some framedrops though), best sound over all Gamecube games, the atmosphere is like WOW!, good control, some cheesy dialogs (but hey, it´s Resident Evil). This game is a great experience you don´t wanna miss, even if you´re a mainstream gamer. If you don´t own a Gamecube yet, just buy one...and most of your needs are now satisfied. Best overall game this generation. Expand
  42. JustinB.
    Oct 3, 2005
    The relentless action, compelling story, intuitive controls, and haunting environments, breathtaking graphics and detail make RE4 one of the most fun games I've ever played, and quite possibly one of the best games ever made, not to mention by far and away the coolest.
  43. Dave
    Feb 12, 2005
    This is quite possibly the best action game ever made! Unique gamepay and non-stop white knuclke action. A must fro all Gamecube owners and Resident Evil fanatics. I played non stop for 3 days because I couldn't put the controller down. Awesome.
  44. TheDUDE
    Feb 14, 2005
    Without a shadow of a doubt, this is one of the finest pieces of artwork ever created. It has a unique feel, is fun to play, and will most likely never see an equal. This is why the hell we play games in the first place. Nice work CAPCOM!
  45. JoseLuis
    Feb 16, 2005
    Este juego es la polla que se jodan los de PS2 porque su consola s una cacafu, es coña porque yo tengo amigos usuarios de PS2 y ya me gustaria jugar en mi GC a los FF. Pues eso Visca España
  46. GOTTKENNER
    Feb 17, 2005
    This is a hell of a game and simply the best survival horror game i have ever played...buy it !!!! it´s unbeliveable.
  47. PascalC.
    Best ever!!!
  48. Dude
    Feb 17, 2005
    Awesome game it may not really be a survival horror game but it is sure a great action game.
  49. MAC
    Feb 17, 2005
    Espero que con este magnifico juego, Nintendo promueva mas juegos asi.
  50. NeMaNjA!D.!
    Feb 18, 2005
    Resident evil is the best action horor game. in this world!!!
  51. Gamegriller
    Feb 2, 2005
    Best game of its genre ever. Probably best Gamecube game until new Zelda. If this doesn't finally help Gamecube get some respect. Don't wait tne or more long months for a ps2 version which will inevitably look and probably feel inferior in some ways to this. Go get the GC version and be happy. Let this make you get a GC system, if you haven't already!
  52. John
    Feb 2, 2005
    Scared the crap out of me!!! Play this with the lights off and the sound up to get the best experience. Best game for the gamecube by far. It's not too difficult, but the story, graphics and gameplay make up for it. Must buy!
  53. JohnW.
    Feb 26, 2005
    Awesome game!
  54. MicahelH.
    Mar 10, 2005
    This Game is so Awesome it took the game in a brand new direction!!!!
  55. ZachC.
    Mar 10, 2005
    This game is the best of any I have played and will play for a long time... or Resident Evil 5.
  56. AlxD.
    Mar 14, 2005
    I HATE Resident Evil games, but this one? It completely and utterly blew me away. I've never been so gripped by a videogame in my life. Its not only a great game in its own right, but its also kicked all of the flaws out of the franchise. Long may it continue.
  57. Chuck
    Mar 14, 2005
    This game is the best game ever created. I never did like Resident Evil games in the past but this game takes the cake. Whenever I die in this game I just want to keep playing no mattter how many times I die. There is also so many extra stuff in this game its crazy. When you beat the game you can start the game off with the revolver cannon gun and with alot of money you can upgrade this This game is the best game ever created. I never did like Resident Evil games in the past but this game takes the cake. Whenever I die in this game I just want to keep playing no mattter how many times I die. There is also so many extra stuff in this game its crazy. When you beat the game you can start the game off with the revolver cannon gun and with alot of money you can upgrade this gun enough to have infinite ammo which makes this gun by far the best gun to have. When you beat the game you unlock new mini games and if you beat the mercenaires mini game with a four star rank you can now beat the game with new characters with special weapons only they can use. Expand
  58. CindieB.
    Mar 22, 2005
    I have played the Resident Evil games from the start. I've always loved them, but this game out does them all. It is the game that I feel should set the standard for all others. The graphics, story line, etc. all are wonderful!
  59. CotyV.
    Mar 22, 2005
    This is the most addictive game I have ever played. Its like as soon as I get home the first thing I reach for is my gamecube controller, and as soon as I get started I cant stop. This is for sure one of the best games ever. I cant wait for Resident Evil 5!
  60. MasonK.
    Mar 23, 2005
    Very good graphics um the thing i dint like was that you could not run but over all i give this game a 10.
  61. ArntC.M.
    Mar 24, 2005
    A dream come true for all survival horror fans!
  62. EricS.
    Mar 25, 2005
    This is what happens when Link and Joanna Dark make whoopie! Nothing is sweeter than droping a fool by cuttin him off at the knees, and then while standing over him, obliterating his skull with your riot gun. Sure some might say killing zombiesque people isn't as fun as goldeneye or other FPS's but the number of enemies you face is much greater and they don't stop comming. This is what happens when Link and Joanna Dark make whoopie! Nothing is sweeter than droping a fool by cuttin him off at the knees, and then while standing over him, obliterating his skull with your riot gun. Sure some might say killing zombiesque people isn't as fun as goldeneye or other FPS's but the number of enemies you face is much greater and they don't stop comming. one more thing... when you die in this game, have your phone near by... you might need an ambulance when your heart pops out of your chest! Expand
  63. Peter
    Mar 28, 2005
    Awesome!
  64. JacopoG.
    Mar 31, 2005
    I played all the Resident evil games, but this is absolutely the funnyest one!I've finished the game in 20 hours of effective playing in two days...Incredible game!
  65. MiguelAngelR.
    Mar 30, 2005
    Best game ever!!!! 4 sure.
  66. RafaelC.
    Mar 6, 2005
    This game Really is the BEST game on gamecube and on any console right now! ( period! ) , an absolute masterpiece of Capcom. If you dont have a Gamecube this is the best reason to buy one, forget the PS2 version ( which will probably have lower graphics and run slower ) go to your closest Videogames store and buy one right now! and at the end of the year youll get another greath game for This game Really is the BEST game on gamecube and on any console right now! ( period! ) , an absolute masterpiece of Capcom. If you dont have a Gamecube this is the best reason to buy one, forget the PS2 version ( which will probably have lower graphics and run slower ) go to your closest Videogames store and buy one right now! and at the end of the year youll get another greath game for sure : The new Zelda! Expand
  67. Ben
    Mar 6, 2005
    My favorite, even of old games. This game brought be back to what video games should be. Its close to having a seemless interface, but doesn't try and pretend its not a video game, which is definately deserving of props. Some of the quick button mashing experiences really brought me back to the old days when games were about fun. Which is another thing: fun and amazing graphics! My favorite, even of old games. This game brought be back to what video games should be. Its close to having a seemless interface, but doesn't try and pretend its not a video game, which is definately deserving of props. Some of the quick button mashing experiences really brought me back to the old days when games were about fun. Which is another thing: fun and amazing graphics! These graphics aren't quite half-life 2 but close, and the style surpasses half-life by far. But what makes the graphics so real aren't the way they look in stills but the amazing detail spent on animation. The nuances of walking and crepping and screaming and speaking are amazing! it is quite obvious that they have done something beyond just motion capture. If you haven't gotten this game yet, you better hurry up, you are missing out on a lot! Expand
  68. RyanG.
    Mar 9, 2005
    Amazing graphics and gameplay above all else was you could upgrade your own weapons with money that you get by killing insane villagers.
  69. WesBorlin
    Apr 11, 2005
    I literally pissed on myself I was so scared Beautiful. Awesome... Breathtaking.
  70. AdD
    Apr 12, 2005
    Great Game looks great and is very easy to get imersed into not quite as scary as the first game as you can control the camera to spot ememies around the corner rather than walking into then like in the resi 1 remake which makes you much more confident. but the fixed camera seemed to be what people moaned about (even though it gave it it's atmos) so it's gone. The games still Great Game looks great and is very easy to get imersed into not quite as scary as the first game as you can control the camera to spot ememies around the corner rather than walking into then like in the resi 1 remake which makes you much more confident. but the fixed camera seemed to be what people moaned about (even though it gave it it's atmos) so it's gone. The games still great though although not so much a survival horror any more. More of a zombie kill fest! easily ten out of ten best game so far this year on any console! Expand
  71. RossL.
    Apr 21, 2005
    Amazing. That is the only word that describes RE.
  72. JoeD.
    Apr 3, 2005
    Best resident evil ever.
  73. AndyL.
    Apr 3, 2005
    Best game i've ever played. Details like the lightning strikes and the blur effects near fires and lava and the screen getting wet during a boss really draw you in. Game of the Year.....Guaranteed.
  74. S.Yorganci
    Apr 6, 2005
    Resident evil 4 takes playing video games to another level just about flawless in every department. By far the best game of the year!
  75. AJMarsden
    Apr 7, 2005
    Best frickin game in the universe. The opening level is like none other than anything everdond.I mean how many games are there with a guy with a potato sack over his head and has a chainsaw.15 out of 10!!
  76. MattG.
    May 16, 2005
    This game is frieken AWESOME! I love this so much, that I named by kid Leon and my daugher Ashley.
  77. RenatoF.
    May 2, 2005
    The best game i-ve ever played!!!
  78. CoryK.
    May 2, 2005
    WOW. This game blew me away. I never got into the previous RE games or even the survival horror genre to begin with. However, after playing this game, I have checked out other survival horror games. The graphics, gameplay, bosses and the creepy atmosphere makes this game THE BEST game on Gamecube.
  79. DaveS.
    May 24, 2005
    Fantastic! Fluid, flowing, addictive, compulsive, ingenious, atmospheric, intriuging. It plays like a true game should, it is constanly action packed, and offers a streaming flow of gameplay. It feels so good to play. Blasting a farmer's head off with a shotgun at point blank range, sending his corpse fly into the villagers behind him so you can make a quick escape, feel so good. The Fantastic! Fluid, flowing, addictive, compulsive, ingenious, atmospheric, intriuging. It plays like a true game should, it is constanly action packed, and offers a streaming flow of gameplay. It feels so good to play. Blasting a farmer's head off with a shotgun at point blank range, sending his corpse fly into the villagers behind him so you can make a quick escape, feel so good. The sounds and voicecasting are perfect. The plot is engrossing. And its the most fun Resi game yet. But it still keeps its creepy atmosphere. The spooky mystery is central to the game,as you unearth the hidden secrets of this fresh slant of the resi series. Expand
  80. Ashlyn
    May 26, 2005
    True story: I have a friend who visits me every six months or so. We're both prolific gamers, so whenever he comes over we stay up all night and play video games. Two years ago, being a loyal RE fan despite the increasing staleness of the franchise, I had bought a GameCube for the Resident Evil "Remake" and I persuaded him to try it. He did, and it took two hours of backtracking True story: I have a friend who visits me every six months or so. We're both prolific gamers, so whenever he comes over we stay up all night and play video games. Two years ago, being a loyal RE fan despite the increasing staleness of the franchise, I had bought a GameCube for the Resident Evil "Remake" and I persuaded him to try it. He did, and it took two hours of backtracking through the same rooms and firing at monotonous off-screen enemies before he lost interest and lamented my decision to get a GameCube in the first place--said pigs would fly before he got one. This year I bought "RE4" and realized that it was one of my favorite games of all time. On game night, I hooked up the GameCube despite his protests and handed him the controller. Within five minutes, he was on his feet trying to keep Leon alive in the first village stage, and after his first chainsaw death we yelled incoherently for two minutes. Then he sat down, pressed "yes" to continue, and remarked to me, quite casually, "I'm gonna buy a GameCube." I was completely floored. So he now has his own GameCube with RE4 decals on it, and he's on his fourth round. We talk about RE on the phone and he keeps me updated on all the cool things he's been finding out with each play-through. So congrats, Capcom--you made pigs fly. Thanks for having the balls to re-invent an established series for something far better. Both my friend and I will be waiting with bated breath for "RE5". Expand
  81. IanC.
    May 9, 2005
    This game is worth buying a Gamecube for!!! Never a dull or frustrating moment. Breathtaking in presentation. If you like video games at all, Resident Evil 4 is for you.
  82. RolandL.
    Jun 1, 2005
    An amazing game... I bought it because of the high rating enjoyed every frustrating seconds of it. I have since lost a lot of sleep over it just playing and playing. I'm not into violent game type but this one stands out!
  83. CozoniW.
    Jun 11, 2005
    An unexpected pleasure. My faith in the series and the genre has been restored. And thank God RE4 is being released on PS2 as well because it deserves to sell by the bucket load.
  84. S.F.
    Jun 13, 2005
    The most innovative game in the history of the series.
  85. BrandonE.
    Jun 14, 2005
    What can I say? This game is absolutely incredible. I almost soiled myself at various points in the game, both at the sheer terror that it induced in me and the utter coolness of it all. I played it whenever I could for about 5 hours during the week, then when the weekend came, I played it non-stop for over 18 hours, stopping only for a shower and a brief snack. I just couldn't put What can I say? This game is absolutely incredible. I almost soiled myself at various points in the game, both at the sheer terror that it induced in me and the utter coolness of it all. I played it whenever I could for about 5 hours during the week, then when the weekend came, I played it non-stop for over 18 hours, stopping only for a shower and a brief snack. I just couldn't put it down until I had beaten it. I've never had a comparable gaming experience, the closest perhaps being when I played Ocarina of Time back in college. This game really expanded my notions about what a gaming experience could be like in terms of the visceral experience. I don't know necessarily if this will stand the test of time like a Zelda, but at the moment, all I can say is that this game is THE BOMB! Expand
  86. Jim
    Jun 17, 2005
    I just got the game I am still in the 1st chapter sec 3 and I am loving every bit of it it is quite possible the best game I have ever played. It just so intense.
  87. JesseS.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Easily one of the best games I have ever played. It has almost anything a gamer would want - incredible graphics, awesome gameplay, a great story, its all here. Another highlight would be how the boss battles are never tiring or dreadful - they are very entertaining, for the most part. A lot of Resident Evil fans bashed this game for all of the changes, but either way, the changes were Easily one of the best games I have ever played. It has almost anything a gamer would want - incredible graphics, awesome gameplay, a great story, its all here. Another highlight would be how the boss battles are never tiring or dreadful - they are very entertaining, for the most part. A lot of Resident Evil fans bashed this game for all of the changes, but either way, the changes were for the best. If you own a GameCube and haven't played this game, you have no idea what you are missing. Expand
  88. Cory
    Jul 12, 2005
    This game proves that Gamecube isnt a joke. This is the best horror/survival video game ever! I cant get enough of blowing a Ganado's head off with the shotgun. The cut scenes are some of the best I've ever seen. This deserves game of the year more than Halo and Half-life.
  89. SFC
    Jul 18, 2005
    I'd never have thought that it'd take a new RE to prove once and for all the brilliance of the series. It's amazing to see it achieved such greatness. I've asked myself whether it's lost some of the RE individuality, becayse that seemed to be one of the few issues at hand when talking about RE, and I believe it didn't. The producers just made some sacrifices I'd never have thought that it'd take a new RE to prove once and for all the brilliance of the series. It's amazing to see it achieved such greatness. I've asked myself whether it's lost some of the RE individuality, becayse that seemed to be one of the few issues at hand when talking about RE, and I believe it didn't. The producers just made some sacrifices which paid off really well.They may not be zombies, but they're more ferocious, the story is a la RE and you've still got Leon, for all that counts. It's the same universe, just another planet. Expand
  90. BenH.
    Jul 19, 2005
    This game rocks.. i give it 10 because i cant really expect any better then this.. Its is a massive improvement on all the previous RE installments. Only one thuing that i think would be good. A STRAFE BUTTON.. or something like it. Maybe it does exist.. if it does email me.
  91. TroyE.
    Jul 23, 2005
    I had never played a Resident Evil game before. Then i got this, the most amazing game of 2005. After beating it a couple of time with the Handcannon, Infininte Rocket Launcher, and the Chicago Typwriter, I played my frinds copy of Resident Evil 3: Nemisis and was AMAZED by the difference. All in all, Resident Evi 4 kick ass.l
  92. JoeM.
    Jul 7, 2005
    Kool fatalities, kool enemies, brilliant graphics, long long gameplay, best game ever, need i say more?
  93. BurimB.
    Jul 9, 2005
    The best game ever.
  94. JakeR.
    Aug 4, 2005
    It's sweet.
  95. DragonKnightofFinalFantasy
    Aug 5, 2005
    Almost a perfect game. The graphics are top notch and are absolutely stunning to look at. The control scheme as been heavily improved upon the old tired RE formula to a much easier control set-up. The gameplay is the best there ever could be for horror games. The escort missions don't even bother you. Its just so fun. The AI is much much smarter and the button pressing during Almost a perfect game. The graphics are top notch and are absolutely stunning to look at. The control scheme as been heavily improved upon the old tired RE formula to a much easier control set-up. The gameplay is the best there ever could be for horror games. The escort missions don't even bother you. Its just so fun. The AI is much much smarter and the button pressing during cut-scenes make you feel much more invloved and keep you on the edge of your seat, I don't get scared by the horror genre and this is no exception but this is the best of its kind especially since the camera angles are good. The bosses are very very cool as well and it'll excite you. I have few complaints 1. You can't move while firing which is huge for me and 2,. The acting is pretty bad. This is a buy without a doubt. Now go by a cube and get RE4! What PS2 version? Don't wait! Besides it'll have worse graphics and its a good guess it'll have long load times. Trust me this is one of the best games of 05' Expand
  96. OmarR.
    Sep 17, 2005
    O my god!!!!! This game is banging. It's the best game I've ever played. Who ever gives it a 9 or lower is a ratarted nerd.
  97. TaylorK.
    Sep 21, 2005
    If you haven't played this game, you missing out on a game that will always be remembered as one of the greatest games made. Truly One of the best of the best games ever made, trust me its worth buying a game cube just to get this game, Just one thing, why can all games have this much intensity and passion like this game has unleashed?!!!!!
  98. FredB.
    Oct 16, 2006
    I played it about 6 times all the way through and I loved it as much the 6th time as I did the first.
  99. SkaterAce
    Feb 24, 2006
    Excellent the game is a mind blowing experience with a clever use of the over the shoulder camera. I love it.
  100. CristianC.
    Mar 11, 2006
    this game is the best game ever. i can't stop playing it it's that good it kicks ass! The unlockable weapons are so cool and makes the game so fun.I hate the ps2 it sucks and wanted resident evil4 only because it's the best game out there. the only problem is Ashley she dies way! to easily and also leon he also easily. but other than that anyone who thinks this game sucks this game is the best game ever. i can't stop playing it it's that good it kicks ass! The unlockable weapons are so cool and makes the game so fun.I hate the ps2 it sucks and wanted resident evil4 only because it's the best game out there. the only problem is Ashley she dies way! to easily and also leon he also easily. but other than that anyone who thinks this game sucks they're just idiot, like my friend aaron, he thinks it's geeting but that hell of not true the resident evil series is great and a classic. Expand

#1 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2005
#1 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2005

1. Weekly Famitsu
    10 / 9 / 9 / 10 - 38 platinum [Jan 2005]
  2. Simply put, Resident Evil 4 is the tightest, most accessible game in the series and one of the best games out there.
  3. Magnificent. It's a terrific, if tardy, showcase for the GameCube, and it's every bit as worthy as the Halos, the GTAs, and the MGSes of this generation. This is a stunning return to form. (Happy Trails, GMR staff!) [Feb 2005]