9.4

1. Jan 27, 2015
    The game that changed the RE formula forever (for good or bad), doing it with deep and immersing gameplay, a long and fun campaign and great replay value.
    The cheesyness is here as it always has been, and the voice acting is great.
    The cheesyness is here as it always has been, and the voice acting is great.

Changes to inventory, save features (and checkpoints) and control felt new and were (and are) a succesful choice. One of the best games of the GC, PS2, XBOX generation.
  2. Dec 24, 2014
    Seriously!! Some people gave this game a zero! I know some would say that it was the end of the whole RE franchise, but to me it was the perfect mix of both horror and action. So giving it a zero is nonsense. This game fixed all the flaws with previous resident evil games like the shooting mechanics. When I was playing it for the first time it felt as if I was in a journey. The graphicsSeriously!! Some people gave this game a zero! I know some would say that it was the end of the whole RE franchise, but to me it was the perfect mix of both horror and action. So giving it a zero is nonsense. This game fixed all the flaws with previous resident evil games like the shooting mechanics. When I was playing it for the first time it felt as if I was in a journey. The graphics are also pretty good, and the game has a lot of scary moments that made me feel really tense. The only thing I didn't like were the enemies at the end of the game, because they could use guns which did not feel like RE at all. Expand
  3. Dec 9, 2014
    I don't know where to start. RE4 disappointed me. I don't know know why many idiots out there says it's the best survival horror game. Re4 was NEVER in a million years a survival horror game. RE 4 is the reason why the series is in a bad shape nowadays. The game was so action oriented. It introduced many things shouldn't have been introduced like:
    _it turned into a third person shooter
    _it turned into a third person shooter game (doesn't have a dynamic camera angles like RE 0- CV).
    _There are no puzzles, and the game relied only on shooting, killing enemies, and the weapons have so many ammos (like COD).
    _It introduced Quick Time Events (no need for it).
    _enemies dropping items like ammos and money (why the hell is that?) this is one of the main reasons why it's not a survival horror game.

Besides, It has a crappy story that didn't feel it belongs to re universe and because of that I think it was better be off a spin off or perhaps it should have another name.

Shinji Mikami went to the wrong direction with this game. He blamed the poor sales of Re remake on it, and thats why he made it an action game. Well, if he was smart enough, he would have made ps2, and xbox version of re remake, and this way the sales would had been improved, and he would have to turn re4 into an action game, and the series wouldn't have turned into a disaster.

Utterly disappointed. If you have a deep love for the survival horror genre. I recommend you not to pick this game up and praised it the wrong way like most critics did.
  4. Oct 21, 2014
    This game is a total dissapointment, one of the worst resident evil ever made! The worst of course is 6, but this one has ruined the series. This game erase all the surival horror elements, erase zombies and all other scary creatures, and put a lame combat system. a bunch of farmers, and that's it, most repetitive enemies in the whole series. What a shame, because i love so much theThis game is a total dissapointment, one of the worst resident evil ever made! The worst of course is 6, but this one has ruined the series. This game erase all the surival horror elements, erase zombies and all other scary creatures, and put a lame combat system. a bunch of farmers, and that's it, most repetitive enemies in the whole series. What a shame, because i love so much the series, i love RESIDENT EVIL 2 IS THE BEST GAME OF THE SERIES. also resident evil 0,1,3 and code veronica, those are real survival horror games, not focused in the action but in the horror and suspense.
    Resident evil 4 in totally focused in action and combat, each step you make it's an enemy, the puzzles are very easy, and the whole game is very easy for me, the only difficult thing is some combats wich involve rapid shootings, and judgin by the bad controls, the combat system is ****
    What is the need to arm yourself constantly, this game looks more than a war game than a survival horror game. The rpg elements sucks.
    Most repetitive combat mechanichs and quick time events i have ever saw in my life, after the first half of the game, this crap becomes too boring, always the same things happens, this is a game for play it 1 time and then throw ir away.

Positive(+):
    + This game is one of the longest games i have ever played in my life.
    + Some graphics improvements.
    + Some good effects.

Negative(-):
    - The worst combat mechanics i have ever seen in an horror game.
    - Poor quick time events, just to fill a gap, because the lack of ideas.
    - No memorable moments in the game.
    - 100% ACTION FOCUSED
    - This game is the one who started to destroy the entire series.
    - Worst camera angles i have ever seen, you NEVER can see what's behind you.
    - This game is without a doubt, one of the worst titles i have ever played in the series.
    - No good music whatsoever.
    - Too much content, but the lack of quality is evident in this game.
    - Worst voice acting ever.
    - When the enemies die, they dissapear, that shows how poor the design of this game is.
    - This trash deserves less, but i give it the 6.
    - Too much useless weapons, that shows you how far from the survival horror this game is, it's like call of duty with zombies, explosions everywhere, bullets everywhere, this game is a **** mess.
    - First resident evil title that abandoned the survival horror genre, too easy puzzles, and too bad cinematics scenes.
    - Lack of creativity, the enemies looks all the same.

SAY NO TO RESIDENT EVIL 4!
    SAY YES TO RESIDENT EVIL 0,1,2,3 CODE VERONICA!
    Greetings
  5. Aug 14, 2014
    In my opinion Resident Evil 4 is the best survival horror game and the best out of the RE series followed closely by Resident Evil Remake. The great story and the outstanding character/enemy design just flashed me back then. I guess it's needless to say that RE 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. The GC version was the first one I played (obviously). Today I own 4 versions of thisIn my opinion Resident Evil 4 is the best survival horror game and the best out of the RE series followed closely by Resident Evil Remake. The great story and the outstanding character/enemy design just flashed me back then. I guess it's needless to say that RE 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. The GC version was the first one I played (obviously). Today I own 4 versions of this game (GC, Wii, Xbox 360 and Ultimate HD for PC). Expand
  6. Jul 22, 2014
    A well made game. Sadly it is the only good resident evil. But anyway the gameplay is good and intense and the story is also good and the boss fights are memorable.
  7. Jul 21, 2014
    Que recuerdos me trae RE4... cuando lo jugué por primera vez desconocía la saga completamente. Que importaba eso, estaba ante un juegazo. La historia no tenía el mejor guión de la historia pero la trama te absorbía y no podías parar de jugar. Gráficamente era brutal, en 2005 había pocos juegos tan detallados. La jugabilidad, muco mejor que la de los primeros resident, era exquisita. NuncaQue recuerdos me trae RE4... cuando lo jugué por primera vez desconocía la saga completamente. Que importaba eso, estaba ante un juegazo. La historia no tenía el mejor guión de la historia pero la trama te absorbía y no podías parar de jugar. Gráficamente era brutal, en 2005 había pocos juegos tan detallados. La jugabilidad, muco mejor que la de los primeros resident, era exquisita. Nunca me había adentrado en un juego así antes, fue una experiencia única. Hoy día sigue siendo uno de los mejores juegos que he jugado. Expand
  8. Jul 9, 2014
    STILL, my favorite game of all time all these years later! I still turn on my old Gamecube just to play it. Incredible game, simply unbeatable. Any gamer who hasn't played this yet shouldn't consider themselves a gamer.
  9. May 28, 2014
    Graphics: 10 Sound: 10 Gameplay: 10 Fun/Story: 10

Side-by-side with Wind Waker and Metroid Prime, this is the best GC game and onde of the best all time. Gorgeous graphics. Played it almost 10 years ago and it´s still clear in my mind.
  10. Apr 28, 2014
    My favorite game of all time. Perfect controls, gameplay, atmosphere and setting. Just immersive and riveting from start to finish. The only downfall of this game is creating the worst female character in gaming histrory, Ashley Graham. But, even SHE wasn't enough to destroy this game.
  11. Feb 25, 2014
    Simply, one of the fifteen best video-games of all time; and one my three favourites video-games.

I've to assume that the script was quite bad because it has some story failures and the reflection of Spain is simply absurd; but we've to think that it's a Japanese game, told as an USA game, so it's acceptable. About the technical section, considering the year it was released, I could

About the technical section, considering the year it was released, I could say that is technically one of the best games ever made. The mechanics can become a little bit uncomfortable sometimes, but they're wonderful. It has also a great design of levels, enemies and characters.

In terms of gameplay, for me it is the best game out there in this century. It's highly creative, well thought out, the tense moments occur at appropriate times, excellent amount of ammunition, and the soundtrack complements all this dramatically. Ladies and gentlemen, this is the ultimate gaming experience.

We have to be critics, so we shouldn't give 10 to all video-games that we like, but this one deserves it.
  12. Feb 16, 2014
    Easily the last greatest RE title to have ever been created. However, this was the game that put the series in the wrong direction...

The gameplay is excellent and more action oriented which is a drawback IMO. RE should not be an action game...ever...BUT they managed to pull it off in a balanced way, so I can applaud their honest effort. However, the story was really weak... I found

However, the story was really weak... I found myself enjoying the atmosphere and the creepiness and the oldschool gaming vibe. To elaborate, I've finished the game and I realised there was absolutely no story, no interesting plot or twists...nothing to connect you to the characters emotionally like in RE1,2,3.
    Or I would have given this game at least a 9/10...

If Capcom returned to this formula, and remove all action elements or at least tone it down to RE4's level. They would be back in business!

I absolutely enjoyed the bosses, they truly felt epic but like mentionned, they were empty and had no background or compelling story at all.

Make a good RE game: focus on the story/characters, reduce action, augment creepiness.

All in all this game does deserve praise.. You can tell Shinji Mikami was definately part of the game development... you feel the quality and love. As opposed to the new "tae bo/ infomercial" RE5,6 call of duty shooter.
    You young generations have no clue what makes a good game.... Capcom thanks for turning your back on your LOYAL fans who supported the series.
  13. Feb 7, 2014
    Best resident evil I've played. Action, suspense and thrilling scares and excitement all the way. Gritty and immersive, even the OTT bosses fights fit this amazingly atmospheric world that Capcom have built. Play this.
  14. Jan 2, 2014
    This game is pure brilliance. So simple yet so great. For those who think there are no minigames or anything other than the main quest line, you have to actually complete the game to get there. Anyway, this is one of those games that, if I was allowed to only play five video games for the rest of my life, would make the cut. This game has the greatest bosses of any game that will ever comeThis game is pure brilliance. So simple yet so great. For those who think there are no minigames or anything other than the main quest line, you have to actually complete the game to get there. Anyway, this is one of those games that, if I was allowed to only play five video games for the rest of my life, would make the cut. This game has the greatest bosses of any game that will ever come out. The early bosses are even better than the vast majority of final bosses in most games. A true masterpiece. GO BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  15. Dec 29, 2013
    Truly a legendary game. Not only is it insanely good, but it inspired nearly every other shooter afterward. If only the series could capture this type of story and environment again...

Easiest 10/10 i've ever given.
  16. Dec 17, 2013
    Undoubtedly one of the best games I've ever played. The graphics are spectacular, the gameplay is seamless, and for a good percentage of the game it's legitimately scary. This game succeeds as both an action and horror game. The storytelling is outstanding, and I care about the characters.
  17. Dec 7, 2013
    El juego perfecto, con una historia bien fundamentada y larga, monstruos increíbles y únicos. No es tan fácil pasarlo y lo mejor de todo es que te dan ganas de jugarlo de nuevo. Un 10 para este maravilloso juego.
  18. Nov 30, 2013
    I know It's late to review this, but screw it: RE4 is both considered the "last" good resident evil, or the "first" fail in the franchise.

In my opinion, this is a great merge from both the original series and a new style, and simply because it has still the atmosphere of the first games, but without being too sluggish on the movement. Sure, it's more action packed and that wasn't what RE was about, but the monsters, the atmosphere, and the feeling was STILL similar to the original RE.

Few examples are the monsters, which are still some of the most scary and also varied monsters in the game (the Regeneradores are the creepiest ever), with maybe the ganados being not the usual sluggish zombie, but an intelligent one that can also use weapons...well the solution already came up: they are not zombies, but real people infected with the virus, and the fact that they can use weapons also means a bigger threat. Luckily they aren't the only monsters, or it would have been far worse, but they were creepy, very dangerous and, unlike zombies, they could easily reach you through ladders, doors, windows, everywhere.

Zombies wouldn't do that...except maybe a few (RE1?)

Second: the game has still a RE feel, and by feel I mean it's dark, dirty, gorey and very "gothic" in a way, and still gives you the impression of being trapped despite being in a very large village (if anything, only RE1 managed to get the dark and gothic feeling, while RE2 and RE3 tend to be more modern but gorey). Infact, newest installments fails on that because they don't use the same atmosphere (RE5 is set IN THE LIGHT, while RE6 is too modern, and also more action packed).

RE was about atmosphere, music, gore...and also tons of jumpscares: RE4 managed most of these components and added more action and more freedom of movement.

This is where a lot complain but, if I have to be honest, it feels good to be able to move more freely and to aim your shots.

I admit, I love the limited movements of the original games, but they were still pretty limited and frustrating, especially since most of the time you're supposed to be a soldier/cop, yet being unable to even aim your shots was kinda silly and so unnatural, and just aiming "up or down" wasn't enough(without mentioning being unable to move while aiming...although RE4 does that still).

In here, you actually got to aim specific parts and some enemies require aiming to be killed or some specific tactic that involve aiming in some parts (the previously mentioned Regeneradores are one) and it felt much more intringuing and involving like that. I'll still love how the original way is done, mostly for nostalgia moments, but RE4 still did some good improvements on the movements (minus some obvious exceptions).

In my opinion, this is the melting pot of the old and new RE: the old for its gothic (or just dark) atmosphere, and the new for better movements, more freedom of exploration, better controls and less constraints.

Of course I won't agree with some of the changes (being able to get ammo easily, selling stuff and etc), but I still think this is probably the last new/old RE we will ever get, as the newer games are going more for more action and less atmopshere.

Haters are gonna hate, but I think it's worth a check (maybe on other consoles, but this is the version I have).
  19. Oct 18, 2013
    a masterpiece of the resident evil franchise
    a masterpiece of nintendo and capcom
    an innovative game of action and survival horror
    an excellent gameplay,an exciting story and the best...
    a brave hero
    LEON KENNEDY FOR SMASH BROS!!!!
  20. Sep 30, 2013
    One of the best game ever made, and probably the best of the franchise, it's a Masterpiece.
  21. Aug 30, 2013
    One of the greatest games ever created. I was not a fan of the Resident Evil series until this game. I was blown away on every level imaginable. Nothing short of a stroke of genius.
  22. Aug 22, 2013
    Un des meilleurs jeux-vidéos auquel j'ai pu joué Une réalisation impeccable, une immersion immédiate et un gameplay jouissif Je suis un gamer depuis plus de 20 ans et Dieu sait le nombre de jeux que j'ai pu tâter J'ai fini ce jeu 3 fois, et toujours avec le même plaisir
  23. Aug 8, 2013
    Resident Evil 4 is my favorite game of all time. The scariness of foreign mindless zombies that you can't understand plotting to eat your brains are scary enough without the parasitic things popping out of their heads. The most perfect gaming experience I have ever experienced.
  24. Jul 28, 2013
    This is a really fun game.......... ..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

NOT
  25. Jul 10, 2013
    honestly whoever gives this game anything lower than a seven is obviously blind when it comes to seeing what a great game is. this is one of the best games i have ever played.
  26. Jun 26, 2013
    Resident Evil 4 was the rebirth and re imagining of a aging franchise. The controls are tight, the graphics are stunning even to this day, and the gameplay is addictive. It really is a spectacular game, full of excellent boss fights, a chilling atmosphere, and a pretty decent story (although the quick time events suck). It's definitely one of the best games on the GameCube. This game is aResident Evil 4 was the rebirth and re imagining of a aging franchise. The controls are tight, the graphics are stunning even to this day, and the gameplay is addictive. It really is a spectacular game, full of excellent boss fights, a chilling atmosphere, and a pretty decent story (although the quick time events suck). It's definitely one of the best games on the GameCube. This game is a bit overrated, but it's definitely worth your time.

9.4/10
  27. Jun 9, 2013
    Six years after the tragedy of Raccoon City Leon Kennedy is tasked with leading a top secret government mission to rescue the President's daughter from a remote location somewhere in Europe.

The first thing players will notice is that this latest instalment in the highly regarded survival horror franchise takes the series away from its roots. The zombies of previous games are gone and replaced with an all together more dangerous foe. The pre-rendered cut scenes and backgrounds have also been removed. Everything now uses the in game graphics, thus making for a more seamless and immersive experience.
    The pacing of the game is set right from the start. Following a brief cinematic intro Leon is attacked by an axe wielding figure and then trapped inside a building by a village mob intent on tearing him limb from limb. These quicker, more intelligent enemies induce a greater feeling of panic and fear than virtually anything else in the Resident Evil franchise so far. Of course the usual scares still associated with the series are still present with all manner of twisted creatures lurking in the dark ready to jump out on you.

With gun play a more important aspect of the game Capcom have also seen fit to evolve the traditional control scheme in order to help defeat these new enemies. Controlling Leon can still be awkward at times but providing the player with an over the shoulder view and the ability to aim in first person in order to target individual body parts are much needed additions.

Overall Resident Evil 4 proves to be a much needed and successful revamp of a series that had started to become a little stale and will hopefully encourage more developers to be a little more creative with their long running franchises.
  28. Jun 9, 2013
    Great premise, creative creature design, memorable deaths, creepy atmosphere and incredibly fun, precise mechanics, Resident Evil 4 was where Capcom took a risk with IP to only prevail, expanding survival horror into an area once thought of as incompatible: action. The potential for this to be a misstep was enormous, as exhibited with Resident Evil 6 the most in a sad copy of RE4'sGreat premise, creative creature design, memorable deaths, creepy atmosphere and incredibly fun, precise mechanics, Resident Evil 4 was where Capcom took a risk with IP to only prevail, expanding survival horror into an area once thought of as incompatible: action. The potential for this to be a misstep was enormous, as exhibited with Resident Evil 6 the most in a sad copy of RE4's success, but RE6 revolutionized the new field where it emerged, action, along with propelled the whole of survival horror into a new dimension of playability. Expand
  29. May 6, 2013
    A dia de hoy sigue siendo ejemplo de como un titulo puede envejecer como un buen vino. A los mas clasicos puede no gustarle pero pese a quien le pese y Resident Evil 4 junto a Resident Evil 2 y Remake son autenticas obras maestras y los mejores titulos de esta mitica franquicia de Shinji Mikami
  30. Mar 25, 2013
    While I have also played the PS2 & XBLA versions, I will review it based on the first version I played on the Gamecube. This game is the reason I bought a Gamecube. It was a step in the right direction a nd a very bold movie from Capcom. The action is good, the graphics are great, voice acting is fantastic (mostly.) RE4 manages to adapt a new approach and still remain loyal to it'SWhile I have also played the PS2 & XBLA versions, I will review it based on the first version I played on the Gamecube. This game is the reason I bought a Gamecube. It was a step in the right direction a nd a very bold movie from Capcom. The action is good, the graphics are great, voice acting is fantastic (mostly.) RE4 manages to adapt a new approach and still remain loyal to it'S survival horror roots. A truly remarkable game that is only slightly marred by annoying QTEs. But these aren't too often and do add a little to the atmosphere. Ashley is annoying as a companion and really only serves as a plot device. But she is likable at least. Overall: RE4 is a great game that marks the turning point in the franchise (and the genre as a whole.) Expand
  31. Mar 11, 2013
    This game flawlessly redefined the genre without straying too far from its survival horror roots. When I look back at my childhood, this is definitely one of the games I instantly think about. There's such a great atmosphere, and it proves to be genuinely scary. The fact that you have a liability the entire time just makes the game that much harder and more enjoyable.
  32. Feb 28, 2013
    As a survival game with an intense atmosphere and great graphics, the moment you put RE 4 in the console it sucks you in and let you forget time and space.
  33. Dec 12, 2012
    J'ai adoré cet épisode; j'y rejoue encore de temps à autre et il est encore aujourd'hui excellent. Un must have que ce soit sur PS2 ou GC/wii surtout qu'il est possible de l'avoir a petit prix; bref foncez.
  34. 4DI
    Nov 13, 2012
    an atmospheric and revolutionary game that surpasses every other game within the survival horror genre ti'll this day.
    My only complaint about RE4 is the lack of a quick select for weapons and items.(instead of pausing for the inventory)
    but it's all because of the gamecube controller's limitations.
    so
  35. Nov 11, 2012
    One of the best games of all time. Controls: I've noticed a lot of people complain about tank controls... well if the game didn't have tank controls it wouldn't be as scary, is operation raccoon city/ re6 scary? Horror: The game isn't completely horror but it has quite a few moments that satisfy. Regenerators, iron maidens, garradors, novistadors, most boss fights, those enemiesOne of the best games of all time. Controls: I've noticed a lot of people complain about tank controls... well if the game didn't have tank controls it wouldn't be as scary, is operation raccoon city/ re6 scary? Horror: The game isn't completely horror but it has quite a few moments that satisfy. Regenerators, iron maidens, garradors, novistadors, most boss fights, those enemies really do the job. On the other hand there are action moments, like the fight with krauser. These moments, even though they weren't horror, were really fun. Gameplay: The best thing about this game is the use of environments to take out enemies and the use of environments the enemies use to take you out. For example, you use ladders, doors, and explosive barrels on most enemies and bosses. On the other hand the enemies place bear traps in dark places, behind something to jump over, in tall grass, or in sand, they use high ground, they use giant boulders, etc. Speaking of boulders, QTE. This game is the perfect example of when it is appropriate to use QTE. QTE are used in CUTSCENES, and used sparingly in gameplay. The AI. A lot of people give Ashley crap, but her AI is better than any AI I have ever seen, maybe because her job is simple, but that's a good thing, whenever designers feel the need to add people to the combat aspect of gameplay, they fail. There are many examples of this across gaming. Halo ODST has invincible allies, sheva in re5 is a failure, the AI in re6 is a failure, it ruins the fun. Ashley will do exactly what you want to her do, hide, follow, wait. And that is all you need from her. She is an unarmed person, she can't fight, her role in the game is for YOU to protect her and if you complain about her dying then you just aren't playing the game good enough!

This game is quite possibly my favorite game of all time. It most definitely makes top 5.
  36. Oct 29, 2012
    Good game, but not survival horror!Fans of the old school is not very pleasant, and a little too easy puzzles and scary moment.resident Evil 4 Resident Evil is not already, and just excellent and linear game!
  37. Sep 13, 2012
    One of the best games ever made, in my opinion. Survival horror at its very best. I must have beaten this one 50 times between all the systems and replays. The replayability is amazing with new game+. I enjoyed every playthrough of this game. I'm not sure how to explain it but the game is just fun every time. The first time through it also manages to be scary at certain parts due to theOne of the best games ever made, in my opinion. Survival horror at its very best. I must have beaten this one 50 times between all the systems and replays. The replayability is amazing with new game+. I enjoyed every playthrough of this game. I'm not sure how to explain it but the game is just fun every time. The first time through it also manages to be scary at certain parts due to the setting and the fear that you may not be able to handle the next group of enemies. If you keep replaying it you can go through with overpowered weapons and it becomes fun in a different way, more like an action game, its almost an entirely different experience on newgame+. All around AMAZING game, one of the best ever made of any genre. If you havent played it pick up RE4HD on 360 or PS3 market place, or pick up an old copy for whatever system you have lying around. Expand
  38. Aug 12, 2012
    I feel that this game has moved away from the survival horror genre with this game. Its because of this game that i actually became interested in survival horror and have loved this series as well as the Silent Hill series. Anyway the game is really good on its own. The story has started fresh in my opinion by moving away from zombies and introducing new types of enemies. the gameplayI feel that this game has moved away from the survival horror genre with this game. Its because of this game that i actually became interested in survival horror and have loved this series as well as the Silent Hill series. Anyway the game is really good on its own. The story has started fresh in my opinion by moving away from zombies and introducing new types of enemies. the gameplay itself is really good. The new laser aim is a nice addition but i believe it takes away from the horror element of the game. Besides there are way to many weapons in the game and too much ammo to be considered a survival horror game in my opinion. The graphics are nice but i think that they could have done a little better. The game does get boring on replays mostly because you know what to expect and you know what lurks behind every corner. I believe its with this game that Resident Evil started to drift away from survival horror and lean towards more action/shooter styles. Anyway this is a great game to play and own if you have been a Resident Evil fan since the beginning or are new to the series. Expand
  39. Feb 16, 2012
    Simply, Resident Evil 4 is the greatest video game of all time. I personally have put more time in this game than all other games I've played, put together, and multiplied by 100. I've beaten Resident Evil 4 around 70 to 75 times, and I'll tell you why. Resident Evil 4 is strong, simple, and does everything that it wants to do perfectly. The problem with most games is that they focusSimply, Resident Evil 4 is the greatest video game of all time. I personally have put more time in this game than all other games I've played, put together, and multiplied by 100. I've beaten Resident Evil 4 around 70 to 75 times, and I'll tell you why. Resident Evil 4 is strong, simple, and does everything that it wants to do perfectly. The problem with most games is that they focus lesser than they need to on CORE gameplay. The greatest video games ever do some things perfect, and nothing more. Resident Evil 4 is simply addictive because it's focused greatly on what makes a game a game: putting you into a moment and making it as on edge and smooth as possible to invest you and get your attention. RE4 has very little things to do regarding the controls. You have the sticks to move (the right stick moves the camera and is virtually useless), you have a button to aim, a button to shoot whence you aim, a button to knife, a button whence held moves you into a jog, and your standard all around action button. See, whence Capcom created this game they spent less time on features, and more time on making the game's simple gameplay absolutely perfect. I've beaten the game as much as I've had and I've yet to even think about the control scheme, movement and flow of the action until now. There is nothing to say about it, it's just simply perfect. Controls aside, the game forces you into itself. What makes a game good or bad is it's ability to make any moment an exciting one. In RE4 there are no dull moments. You are alone the majority of the game, beside a couple moments (one where you are hold up in a village house and are bombarded by masses of enemies, and another where you are aided by helicopter fire), and there are always enough enemies to go around. RE4 focuses on pushing as many enemies toward you at once in order to test your ability to survive. I can tell you right now that there is no other game that you'll play that is as on edge as this game. This game scares you to death, and not in the case of gimmicky monsters, but pure intensity. The game also has it's fare share of great boss battles, all different and puzzling, and not in the typical boss battle fashion of shooting a clearly indicated hot spot. All the enemies in this game are well varied and equally entertaining to fight. Aside from gameplay, the game is amazing to look at. Every environment is dark and well atmospheric. The graphics were some of the best on the 6th generation of consoles, and are still to this day great to look at. The story is cheesy, but you get invested in it's chessyness. They did a fantastic job of allowing some to get invested in it's gimmicks, and for others to get a good laugh out of. There's just not much to say about this game; it runs without a flaw, it's systems are perfect, it's graphics are great, it's story is well entertaining. This game has been spread across, I believe seven consoles, and for understandable reasons. Personally I believe the Gamecube version is the best, but if you own an Xbox 360, PS3, PS2 etc. you also have a chance to obtain and play this masterpiece of entertainment history. Expand
  40. Jan 21, 2012
    I've completed this game 3 times since it first came out, and each time has been thoroughly enjoyable. See, it's one of those games that is so deep, so diverse in its environments, that you enjoy something new about it each time through. I remember the first time playing it thinking..ok...I bet it's about to end, only for it to continue on chapter after chapter. That's a good thingI've completed this game 3 times since it first came out, and each time has been thoroughly enjoyable. See, it's one of those games that is so deep, so diverse in its environments, that you enjoy something new about it each time through. I remember the first time playing it thinking..ok...I bet it's about to end, only for it to continue on chapter after chapter. That's a good thing because this is a great game!

The graphics are amazing for 2005 on the gamecube. The environments, as mentioned previously, are incredibly diverse. One scene you're outdoors in a rundown village and the next you're fighting your way through an enormous stone castle. It's a nice mix of creepy survival horror and traditional RE-style turret (stop and shoot) 3rd person shooter. There's plenty to kill alright, but you also have a fair share of puzzles to solve. I gave this a 10 but would, given the opportunity, score it a 9.8. Why shave the .2 points? Cheapness. As in, you are guaranteed to DIE a few times due surprise button-mashing combo sequences you don't see coming. First time thru without a walkthrough telling you what's coming up? Prepared to be frustrated a bit by this--and resign yourself to some cheap deaths. Outside of that, it should be a fun ride.
  41. Nov 14, 2011
    A Masterpiece in gaming , Capcom I salute you for this amazing game.I have never been through a 1 player game so many times , Would love something like this to turn up again with a new look, story and multiplayer online.but nevermind i can safely say this hasn't been beaten yet in my honest opinnion:) Bar zelda ofcourse ,ocarina of time :) 10/10
  42. Sep 20, 2011
    THE best action game of all-time. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  43. Sep 10, 2011
    Resident Evil has never been a franchise I've been that interested in, except for this one, since I'd been seeing it on so many best games of the decade and GameCube lists so i got it a game store for 5 bucks and got home played it, and is now one of the best games I've ever played
  44. Aug 27, 2011
    I don't know why but I prefer the Raccoon city games. This game is great though. Played so many times, just loved it like the previous RE. I can't wait to play RE5 on ps3!
  45. Jun 28, 2011
    By far the best RES game to date, so much better than RES 5. A gripping and horrifying game that will keep you guessing to the end, crazy boss fights and graphics that astounded everyone at the time. Lots of guns to collect and upgrade. The new camera scheme is a great change to the series. One of the best game on the console, BUT the controls are a little awkward like you cant run andBy far the best RES game to date, so much better than RES 5. A gripping and horrifying game that will keep you guessing to the end, crazy boss fights and graphics that astounded everyone at the time. Lots of guns to collect and upgrade. The new camera scheme is a great change to the series. One of the best game on the console, BUT the controls are a little awkward like you cant run and shoot or reload while running but overall a great game. Expand
  46. May 27, 2011
    Ever changing environment, a unique storage system, and REAL action commands, RE4 has definitely been a trademark to horror games now. This game is surprisingly forgiving to even new players getting into RE (including me) when you first start off, as most would say you can die easily when playing the RE series.
  47. Jan 4, 2011

Metroid Prime (Trilogy)
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Resident Evil 4
    Tetris DS
    Words with Friends (Scrabble)
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Mike Tysonâ
  48. Dec 30, 2010
    this is one of the few games that surpased the hype it had . i knew it was gona be great but wow not this damn great . this game was the only reason i bought a Gamecube and it was money well spent. the controls are solid and no more bad camera angles as it switches to the 3rd person mode . a great gun slection with upgradable guns . the action is top notch i mean i was grining ear to earthis is one of the few games that surpased the hype it had . i knew it was gona be great but wow not this damn great . this game was the only reason i bought a Gamecube and it was money well spent. the controls are solid and no more bad camera angles as it switches to the 3rd person mode . a great gun slection with upgradable guns . the action is top notch i mean i was grining ear to ear playing this game . i must have beatin this game around 100x since the day it came out and i will still pop it in from time to time and play it again. the boss fights simply put are EPIC and some of the best in gaming history . the only down side to this game is story wise its abit holey i felt some things like krouser and his past with leon where not explained well at all and the puzzle set up was way way easy it took no brains to figure them out. still though the thrill ride this game provides is second to none. Expand
  49. RicardoP
    Jan 11, 2010
    Resident Evil 4 is an Evolution of the Series, but ultimately not an evolution to Survival Horror, sure the games is a solid 10 -- revolutionary and awesome but horror elements in the game started to go downfalll in this entry (compared to the old ones of course), nevertheless a 25 hour rush videogame greatness!
  50. DaveH
    Dec 7, 2009
    Seriously, a masterpiece. I have the admit the storyline is not the best thing about this game (rescuing the president's daughter?) but the gameplay and the graphics are awesome. The main character Leon Kennedy is unarguably one the best protagonists in video games, alongside with Master Chief and Link. I wish to write more about this game in this short review, but if I started Seriously, a masterpiece. I have the admit the storyline is not the best thing about this game (rescuing the president's daughter?) but the gameplay and the graphics are awesome. The main character Leon Kennedy is unarguably one the best protagonists in video games, alongside with Master Chief and Link. I wish to write more about this game in this short review, but if I started taking it seriously, I'd end up writing a Yottabyte of data. Expand
  51. XinhuaZ
    Sep 16, 2009
    I got about 25 hours to complete the best action-adventure game in history,and found it amazing to enjoy the horrible tour in the such a real game.i think its graphic is above all other games in history.real action and continuous plot makes it game of the year.strongly expecting the next generation in ps3 and xbox 360.i doubt if it will be any other games can match this game lah! the game I got about 25 hours to complete the best action-adventure game in history,and found it amazing to enjoy the horrible tour in the such a real game.i think its graphic is above all other games in history.real action and continuous plot makes it game of the year.strongly expecting the next generation in ps3 and xbox 360.i doubt if it will be any other games can match this game lah! the game contains so many things amazing enough to surprise me to continue the game and makes it fantastic!all the surroundings are so well difined that you think you are playing in the real world. Expand
  52. Residentevilnutreisawsome
    Sep 5, 2009
    RE4 the best in its siris.Capcom really did it out with this one. I am really the biggest fan of resident evil. resident evil will live on. (like michal jackson did) go resident evil and go capcom!
  53. DieselC
    Aug 21, 2009
    A must play and must have game. It is everything you'd want in a game. while not perfect it is a rare gem.
  54. LuisL
    Jul 22, 2009
    Slugish start: check! Awesome enviroments: check! Best boss fights ever in a survival horror game: check! The more you play this game and understand the mechanics of this truely gem of a survival horror game. PRICELESS! There are survival horror games. & THERE IS RE4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  55. MenachemR
    Mar 19, 2009
    To Bryan S: You smiled the entire time? Really? Even when you were being decapitated by guillotines and iron clad monsters were gouging your eyes out with their claws? If the answer is yes you have some serious emotional problems my friend ;) Also, to ensure that the editors of Metacritic will post my comment, I'll add my opinion that this is one of the best videogames ever
  56. xmywong
    Feb 26, 2009
    The original Resident Evil was a landmark for the Survival Horror genre. The game pretty much revolutionized and at the same time, perfected the mechanics and elements of the "scary" game experience. After all, nothing quite like a big corporation being behind what essentially throws a city into a zombie apocalypse. After a stellar remake of the original Resident Evil and a great prequel The original Resident Evil was a landmark for the Survival Horror genre. The game pretty much revolutionized and at the same time, perfected the mechanics and elements of the "scary" game experience. After all, nothing quite like a big corporation being behind what essentially throws a city into a zombie apocalypse. After a stellar remake of the original Resident Evil and a great prequel in Resident Evil Zero, Capcom decided to finally move forward with the series. And the way they did it was by getting back into the driver's seat and hitting the gas until they ran through every idea and gameplay element they could enhance and improve on. Resident Evil 4 looks, feels, and plays completely different from every game before it. Gone are the fixed camera angles and some clunky control issues, or the lack of really knowing where you're shooting. The new over the shoulder camera gives this a very nice perspective and surprisingly has no issues. Never did I have to use the right stick to get the camera under a little control as it followed me very well. Bravo, Capcom, bravo. The same basic mechanics of combat remain. You hold a button to run, and you hold another to raise your gun and shoot. This has been a hallmark of Resident Evil gameplay and it works better than ever with the new laser sight. You will be able to very accurately pinpoint wherever you'd like to shoot on the enemy, and they will respond accordingly. You can blast weapons out of their hands, take out their legs, or like usual, just pop off those heads. New to the franchise is a handy action button. Not only does this give you much more freedom in where you can go, but you will be very surprised at the lengths Capcom has taken this. You will be able to jump over fences, through windows, climb ladders, or knock them down as enemies are climbing. You can even push tables or shelves in front of doors and windows to barricade anything from coming through while you set up a fort. The perfection of gameplay here is just one aspect of what makes this game so brilliant. The setting is very different as well. Gone are the zombies and Umbrella Corporation. Resident Evil 4's plot surrounds Leon Kennedy (from Resident Evil 2) as an agent for the government sent to find the whereabouts of the president's missing daughter somewhere in Europe. What you're up against is far different from the slow moving, moaning zombies of previous games. These are humans, infected humans. They speak, they tell each other what to do (if you speak spanish, you'll actually know exactly what they're planning during attacks), they will run and chase after you, try to cut off where you're going, and carry weapons. The story behind Las Plagas (the parasite infecting them) becomes more and more interesting as you go on. What I enjoy most about Resident Evil 4 is change. Capcom has boldly changed the gameplay and it's better than it has ever been. What pairs up nicely with this is that the gameplay itself in the game changes as well. You will come across new weapons and have the option to upgrade them, you'll have various approaches in boss fights, there is another companion you'll get mid-way through the game and will have to protect. It's all very well done and they certainly kept this from being a game where you just walk from level to level and shoot everything in sight. Especially with the added game modes. Not only can you go through multiple completions with your old weapons, but after completing the game players will be able to play the Assignment Ada and Mercenaries modes. Assignment Ada puts you in Ada Wong's perspective throughout the story. You will have to carry out her tasks and it's very well done. Mercenaries is the really big fish here though. It's essentially a Survival Mode, but with a slew of different characters (all with different weapons and abilities) to play as. On four different locations, your job is to get the highest score possible in the allotted time. Scattered (and sometimes hidden) across the levels will be health and time pickups for you to attempt to keep the carnage going for insane amounts of time. Resident Evil 4's main story mode is good enough, but this is just tasty frosting atop a delicious cake. After all my experiences with Capcom and their games, I have always found it a little annoying how they will release quick sequels with small changes to the gameplay. They will maintain quality, but Resident Evil 4 is proof that change is not only good, but it can sometimes lead to the single best entry in the series. Expand
  57. NewFaceofRev
    Feb 13, 2009
    Perhaps it's the fact that I got round to buying it late, maybe by the time I played it most of it's innovations had been stolen by other games, but i'm just not into it. The graphics while nice are incredibly dull, It showed me shades of grey i never even knew existed. It's a relatively easy game which I suppose is to be expected given it's mainstream popularity, Perhaps it's the fact that I got round to buying it late, maybe by the time I played it most of it's innovations had been stolen by other games, but i'm just not into it. The graphics while nice are incredibly dull, It showed me shades of grey i never even knew existed. It's a relatively easy game which I suppose is to be expected given it's mainstream popularity, but how anyone got to grips with the controls just baffles me. The hardest part of the first 30 minutes of gameplay was trying to make Leon move through a door! Surprisingly it seems to be a common complaint but i'm always told "If you just overlook the controls the game is AMAZING" well sorry but I can't overlook the controls, that's the one thing I can't overlook, the controls ARE the game. Most enemy encounters can be handled by alerting the enemy to your wherabouts as soon as you enter the area by firing your gun to get their attention, and then picking them off as they come towards you in single file. Apparantly this is playing the game wrong as most people I watch play this simply charge into the enemy any then claim it's scary when they become surrounded, well of course it is, but your not MEANT to let the bad guys surround you. Despite the camera shift Leon still seems to move like he did in the old Resident Evil games which is hardly a good thing. The story is quite good in comparison to other Horror games, the voice acting is competant and the sound design is actually masterful. Honestly there is very little I can say against the production values of this game, it really does seem like a labour of love from capcom that the game seems so polished. You will probably enjoy this game immensly, but for an old school gamer like me, the fact that it's so clunky and unweildy to move around, aim your gun and generally interact with the environment is a major turn-off. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea. This is my girlfriends favourite game of all time, and somehow she takes it as personally offensive that I don't share her love of it. Then again she doesn't get what I see in Bioshock so perhaps we aren't very compatible. Collapse
  58. PaulW
    Nov 16, 2008
    The level of overblown praise for this game went too far. Yes, it has some good rollercoaster-style moments. The maze, the sewers and the mine cart particularly stand out. But it starts out looking like a bad Stella Artois advert, the character models are worse than the remake's, any attempt at exploration will leave you disappointed compared to Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and The level of overblown praise for this game went too far. Yes, it has some good rollercoaster-style moments. The maze, the sewers and the mine cart particularly stand out. But it starts out looking like a bad Stella Artois advert, the character models are worse than the remake's, any attempt at exploration will leave you disappointed compared to Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and many parts are simply bad, eerie kitsch- being chased by a giant stone statue? The trader popping up in the most unlikely situations with his comedy accent- was he meant to be a joke because it's frightening if he wasn't? There must be some more people who were looking for an action adventure that STILL also had a Lovecraftian gothic horror feel. If you love video nasties you will love this game but the sad thing is that there are subtle scenes in here as well eg meeting the regenerators for the first time, but subtlety went out the window for the most part in responses to this game. Expand
  59. AGuy
    Apr 11, 2008
    a much needed shot in the arm for the resident evil series this is one of the best games ever made period. its not very scary and most resident evil purists will hate it but the fact remains resident evil 4 is a must own game
  60. AlexA.
    Feb 27, 2008
    I would like to start by saying that all the other people who say the story is amazing are wrong. For me the story was awful and extremely repetitive, guy saves girl, guy attempts to return girl to her father, girl gets captured, guy saves girl etc. The reason i like this game is because the gameplay is amazing the controls are so simple a monkey could play it. I don't see anything I would like to start by saying that all the other people who say the story is amazing are wrong. For me the story was awful and extremely repetitive, guy saves girl, guy attempts to return girl to her father, girl gets captured, guy saves girl etc. The reason i like this game is because the gameplay is amazing the controls are so simple a monkey could play it. I don't see anything wrong with repetitive gameplay as long as its good gameplay. The boss battles are awesome, its not like most other games when you die you get pissed but in RE 4 if you die your like you son of a bitch and then you want to go back and beat it. The weapon upgrades were also a nice touch in most other games you can just by new better weapons rather than upgrading the ones you already have. All in all this is (despite it's annoying story line) one of the best games i have ever played. Expand
  61. DaveC.
    Nov 12, 2007
    Resident Evil 4 is THE best game i have played for any system yet. Although i dont have an xbox 360, PS3 or Wii yet. I am sure Resident Evil 4 will always be regarded as the game that gave life back to the series. If you played a Resident Evil in the past and didnt like it try out this game. It WILL change your views on the series. I can't stop playing it! From the amazing graphics Resident Evil 4 is THE best game i have played for any system yet. Although i dont have an xbox 360, PS3 or Wii yet. I am sure Resident Evil 4 will always be regarded as the game that gave life back to the series. If you played a Resident Evil in the past and didnt like it try out this game. It WILL change your views on the series. I can't stop playing it! From the amazing graphics and sounds to the story. Play the greatest survival horror game of all time and the one that re-invented them forever. Expand
  62. BryanS.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Sexy, secret, female agents. More blood than an abattoir. Absurd dialogue. Glaring cultural inaccuracies. Leon's funny hair-cut. Parasites that somehow find their hosts in empty suits of armor. Outrageous storyline. Absurd impracticalities like a GIANT animated statue of Salazar that can run and crush buildings. Every one of these excesses does nothing but enhance the experience that Sexy, secret, female agents. More blood than an abattoir. Absurd dialogue. Glaring cultural inaccuracies. Leon's funny hair-cut. Parasites that somehow find their hosts in empty suits of armor. Outrageous storyline. Absurd impracticalities like a GIANT animated statue of Salazar that can run and crush buildings. Every one of these excesses does nothing but enhance the experience that is Resident Evil 4. Truly an awesome game. I smiled the entire time. Expand
  63. DavidV.
    Sep 30, 2007
    By far the best video game for Gamecube I've played. It was exciting, addictive, and extremely fun.
  64. TeuT.
    Sep 17, 2007
    Fun action, gameplay feels somewhat restricted, story is lame duck, not sure what some people are smoking.
  65. TomG.
    Aug 17, 2007
    Hands down the best GameCube game. Ever. The graphics are eye-pleasing beautiful, the sound quality is amazing, and the once-archaic control scheme has been redone into an addictive "second-person" shooter. I would also like to point out a post I saw when I came here. I think he's too focused on a mixture of realism, and Battlefield games. Who gives a rat's ass if Leon Hands down the best GameCube game. Ever. The graphics are eye-pleasing beautiful, the sound quality is amazing, and the once-archaic control scheme has been redone into an addictive "second-person" shooter. I would also like to point out a post I saw when I came here. I think he's too focused on a mixture of realism, and Battlefield games. Who gives a rat's ass if Leon can't move like Bruce Lee ingame? The scenes are interactive meaning you don't have to stare at your screen bored. The game is not that linear. I never thought this much detail would be possible on a GameCube. It's a definate buy. Expand
  66. ZohaibA.
    Jul 30, 2007
    This is probably the only game i've played more than two times. One of the most fun games i've ever played and THE best (not the scariest) Resident Evil game. The action was very intense. However it wasn't that scary which disappointed me, but the gameplay made up for that.
  67. BenB.
    Jul 9, 2007
    A Masterpiece of the video game genre. A must have for any fan.
  68. ThomasK.
    Jul 2, 2007
    First I'ld like to point out that Pippin B. is the biggest idiot ever and that you don't need to reload when running because the guns reload quite fast and the enemies are usually slow. Also, who cares if he can do crazy flips, it's a game and it just makes it more exciting!
  69. ThomasB.
    Jun 23, 2007
    Yes, RE fans, the time has come. RE4 delivers an incredible and frightening experience, filled with gory action, a lengthy story mode, and enough extra features to keep you up all night--keep the lights off and admire the gorgeous graphics and stunning sound, all the while crapping your pants with fear and anticipation. This is one game you can NOT miss out on.
  70. JasonC.
    Jun 14, 2007
    Quite possibly the greatest video game ever. They took a franchise that was already great, changed almost everything, and it's better than ever. The interactive cut scenes are intense and a nice touch.
  71. PippinB.
    Jun 5, 2007
    Why can a highly-trained government agent do all sorts of martial arts and crazy flips when fighting one guy in a cut scene, yet only be able to stand still and shoot when a group is chasing him down during the actual game? Even if taking out all the puzzles and turning Resident Evil into a pure action game was a good idea (it wasn't), why keep the sluggish tank controls? He Why can a highly-trained government agent do all sorts of martial arts and crazy flips when fighting one guy in a cut scene, yet only be able to stand still and shoot when a group is chasing him down during the actual game? Even if taking out all the puzzles and turning Resident Evil into a pure action game was a good idea (it wasn't), why keep the sluggish tank controls? He can't even RELOAD while moving! Fortunately for Leon, this game is so mind-numbingly linear that his limited moveset is all you need. This game is basically a shooting gallery, but with Spanish townsfolk instead of ducks. Expand
  72. DannyT.
    May 14, 2007
    This game is so awesome! There are things that jump out of nowhere and scare the living crap out of ya but over all the game is worth a 10 because of its shooting style (not like the old 007 games lol) and story line.
  73. SamG.
    Mar 25, 2007
    This game is the best game ever made to me, the other people that don't like this game pretty much does have no good taste in games. Now I can't wait for "Resident Evil 5".
  74. J.Valliere
    Mar 23, 2007
    One of the best video games I've ever played. It was a great gaming experience that lasted much longer than previous RE games. I loved the new controls, the new inventory system, and the over-the-shoulder camera angles. I LOVED the use of actions in the midst of cut-screen movies; very innovative. My favorite RE game by far!
  75. BenjaminB.
    Mar 22, 2007
    If you are looking for a masterpiece, this is the game. great control scheme, great graphics, great sound and a feeling of suspense which makes you feel you are in a really great horror-movie. buy it.
  76. WilliamG.
    Feb 6, 2007
    I can't for the life of me understand what everybody felt was so hypnotic and atmospheric about this supposed "Resident Evil" game. It's about as generic as a shooter comes, spruced up with some nice graphics. After thirty minutes of shooting everything that moved, picking up bullets, kicking open a door and repeating, I realized this game would get really old, really fast. I I can't for the life of me understand what everybody felt was so hypnotic and atmospheric about this supposed "Resident Evil" game. It's about as generic as a shooter comes, spruced up with some nice graphics. After thirty minutes of shooting everything that moved, picking up bullets, kicking open a door and repeating, I realized this game would get really old, really fast. I wasn't wrong. By half way through the second disc, I couldn't wait to see the credits roll so that I could get back to the Resident Evil remake, which actually has tense and scary bits. I didn't jump or cringe once throughout the entire Resident Evil 4 experience. I'd like to know how Resident Evil: Dead Aim and Devil May Cry could receive such average opinions from gamers, whot at the same time, praise this title as a gift from God, Himself. It's exactly the same premise as the aforementioned two, complete with ridiculous plot, pathetic puzzles (Which sword goes where!?) and weapons upgrades, using money instead of orbs. I'm glad so many people loved this game so much, but personally, I feel that it's a shame to see that Resident Evil has spiraled from a completely unique, atmospheric and thought-provoking experience, to just another brainless shooter amongst a myriad of other brainless shooters. Give me Half-Life 2 over this anyday, at least it's fun and even remotely scary. Expand
  77. AndrewC.
    Jan 10, 2007
    Generally, I'm opposed to games that are this gory, but taken in context, RE4 couldn't really be done any other way. The gameplay simply blows my mind (why can't all games be this intense and well-made?!?) and the attention to every little detail is fantastic. The boss fights are epic and wonderful, too, and the game is really authentically freaky. Be careful, though: this Generally, I'm opposed to games that are this gory, but taken in context, RE4 couldn't really be done any other way. The gameplay simply blows my mind (why can't all games be this intense and well-made?!?) and the attention to every little detail is fantastic. The boss fights are epic and wonderful, too, and the game is really authentically freaky. Be careful, though: this game is the very definition of the M rating. By the end of the game, you'll have decapitated countless mindless fiends (and you probably will have been decapitated, or mutilated, or crushed several times too) Language is minimal, though (what's up with the warning before the title screen?) and there's no sex or drugs. Most of the violence is aimed at inhuman beasts or possessed kind-of-humans. But still, nobody below 18 should even consider playing this game. For all those who meet that criterion ought to at least check RE4 out - it's simply stunning. Expand
  78. Derek
    Dec 24, 2006
    After 5 years of hard work, Capcom releases Resident Evil 4, the anticipated sequel towards the series. But this game takes the series in a whole new direction. It doesn't matter if you are a hardcore Resident Evil fan or never played any Resident Evil game before. This is a hardcore, blood pumping, action packed game and if you can stomach the bloody gore, this will be one of the After 5 years of hard work, Capcom releases Resident Evil 4, the anticipated sequel towards the series. But this game takes the series in a whole new direction. It doesn't matter if you are a hardcore Resident Evil fan or never played any Resident Evil game before. This is a hardcore, blood pumping, action packed game and if you can stomach the bloody gore, this will be one of the best games you have ever played in your entire life. Leon Scott Kennedy, a wise-cracking government agent from Resident Evil 2 goes to a mysterious island where the president's daughter, Ashley, is being held captive. As he goes there, he meets people who have the urge to kill foreigners, but seem like they don't have a mind of their own. Though they are not zombies and there are no zombies in this game, these enemies are twice as intellegent as those rusted zombies. That brings me to my next point. The enemies are extremely intellegent and it's really hard to look and them and say someone programmed them. The enemies carry plenty of weapons such as spears, axes, pitchforks, dynamites, scythes, swords, chainsaws, miniguns, They can sidestep and change their speed level to make themselves unpredictible to the player. The enemies have a wide range of diologue and can think on their feet as well as counteract against many of the things your player does. Many of you may question why this was given a 10. Simply because it is perfect. It has everything a person could ever want in a shooting game. The weapon arsenal includes many things such as Hand Grenades, Flash Grenades, Handguns, Shotguns, Rocket Launchers, Magnums, Combat Knives, Chigaco Typewriter, Rocket Launchers, TMP's, and plenty more. The controls of this shooter are refined for the better. You aim with the right trigger and shoot with the X,A button. You sprint with the Square,B button and pull out your knife with the left trigger. The Triangle,Y button lets you edit your inventory. The controls may seem a bit clunky at first, but when adapted, these will be the best controls possible. The save points in this game are frequent and no matter where you are, there is always a save point available for you. The game knows exactly what items and how much items to give you at what time. In this game, your object is to protect Ashley, so making sure she doesn't get killed while playing this game will make circumstances tougher. The gameplay differs from many other cookie cutter shooters. You store guns, but it's size, not by it's quantity. Resident Evil 4 uses laser point precision target aiming to aim for enemies. The puzzles are challenging and are a nice break from shooting and button mashing scence are great to get the adreneline flowing. This game is not to hard or not to easy, but you can always set a challenge for yourself. There are two versions (Gamecube and Playstation 2). Playstation 2 has 2 new guns, a brand new set of costumes, and another mini-game. The Gamecube has better detailed and higher defenition graphics and lower loading times. Take your pick, but Gamecube really has what matters. This is a game which will never get old and will be fun to beat at least 3-10 times. There are mini-games to play and things to unlock. People have been debating about the lack of multiplayer or online play, but the game is fine how it is and 50+ hours of single play is better than a couple hours of multiplay. In this game you will raid castles, defeat giants, burst villagers, explore islands, and do countless other things. You may be skeptical about all the hype this game has been receiving, but go ahead and buy this copy if you want a nice action thrill to get your day going. This is a game which will leave a giant dent in the current generation and even if that dent fades, the dent will always be there. Expand
  79. Zack
    Nov 21, 2006
    Truly spectacular. Blows away all other Resident Evil games. Easily the best game on PS2 or Gamecube. Just a few years ago I was convinced that my favorite game was and always would be Kingdom Hearts, and that nothing could be better. Then four years later...I played RE4. I couldn't deny the fact that this simply is the best game I've ever played. The Krauser fight alone was Truly spectacular. Blows away all other Resident Evil games. Easily the best game on PS2 or Gamecube. Just a few years ago I was convinced that my favorite game was and always would be Kingdom Hearts, and that nothing could be better. Then four years later...I played RE4. I couldn't deny the fact that this simply is the best game I've ever played. The Krauser fight alone was worth my money. The only flaw, or the closest thing to a flaw anyway, is that they sacrificed the whole element of fear (except for the regenerators, which are at least creepy) that RE used to have. The thing that took its place however is a new style of gaming that will easily be influencing games for years to come. It's already influenced the gameplay of MGS4, and it will be the first of many. I don't think any game will stand up to it until RE5. If you own a PS2 or GC and you don't buy this, you are a fool, plain and simple. Even if you aren't a fan of RE games, buy it anyway. It's won't be anything you expected. You can be sure of that. Expand
  80. MeNotU
    Nov 14, 2006
    Don't understand what the hype is about. Same controls, but with worse graphics. RE remake and RE 2 are my favs. RE4 is frustrating, and hardly revolutionary, especially with the same fighting techniques as before. Mini-games are good, and the individual aiming is nice - but you can't blow off any other part of the Ganados except their head! OVERATED GAME! Change the control Don't understand what the hype is about. Same controls, but with worse graphics. RE remake and RE 2 are my favs. RE4 is frustrating, and hardly revolutionary, especially with the same fighting techniques as before. Mini-games are good, and the individual aiming is nice - but you can't blow off any other part of the Ganados except their head! OVERATED GAME! Change the control style and bring back zombies and you'll have a winner. Expand
  81. SpencerH.
    Nov 8, 2006
    This game is superb, an excellent example of what a truly great game is.
  82. FredB.
    Oct 16, 2006
    I played it about 6 times all the way through and I loved it as much the 6th time as I did the first.
  83. JamieP.
    Aug 29, 2006
    The absolute greatest game ever.
  84. AJPowell
    Aug 3, 2006
    WOW, in my opinion the greatest game ever made on any console. I love the action, the story, the sound, the graphics, everything! This game also has one of the greatest replay values ever. If you have a gamecube or playstation 2, you must own this game. Its worth every penny.
  85. RyanD.
    Jul 30, 2006
    Resident Evil 4 is the best game i have played for a while. Personally i think you should make them as scary as possible. example: (Cold Fear)the video game.
    Jul 27, 2006
    Fantastic and addictive gameplay. Stunning sound and visuals, smart AI and a great new control system. RE4 is a must buy.
  87. RandyM.
    Jul 17, 2006
    Resident Evil 4.....wow. This is the game that got me into the horror genre. I love getting scared now. This is the first horror game I picked up. And I loved it. This game is frighteningly spectacular. With simple controls, insane boss fights, and very clever enemies. This game is a true masterpiece and cannot be missed.
  88. JonnyB.
    Jun 15, 2006
    If I could I would give this game a 20. This is my favorite game ever made. I didn't really care much for the old Resident Evil games but this one is great. I wish that there was a co-op mode though, my friend and I are always looking for fun multiplayers on the Game Cube. The Game Cube version is better than the PS2 version even though the PS2 version has extra stuff. If you have a If I could I would give this game a 20. This is my favorite game ever made. I didn't really care much for the old Resident Evil games but this one is great. I wish that there was a co-op mode though, my friend and I are always looking for fun multiplayers on the Game Cube. The Game Cube version is better than the PS2 version even though the PS2 version has extra stuff. If you have a G Cube and you don't have this game, you might as well not have a G Cube. Beat the game and then beat assignment Ada and save your money for the Chicago Typwriter is is freakn awesome! Expand
  89. ShaneS.
    May 12, 2006
    Look folks. I'm one picky ass-gamer. Please don't confuse me with the legions of 12 year old kiddies rating all decent games a 10. Windwaker was short, and boring. Metroid Prime lacked the arcade feel of old metroid games and the bosses were way too easy. Pikmin 2 is a sad primitive clone of PC strategy games wrapped up in a cute little world. But RE4. Ahh RE4. Never in my life Look folks. I'm one picky ass-gamer. Please don't confuse me with the legions of 12 year old kiddies rating all decent games a 10. Windwaker was short, and boring. Metroid Prime lacked the arcade feel of old metroid games and the bosses were way too easy. Pikmin 2 is a sad primitive clone of PC strategy games wrapped up in a cute little world. But RE4. Ahh RE4. Never in my life have I seen context sensitive actions, FPS (only behind the back) gameplay, challenging boss battles, challenging unique varied enemies, and constant change of action blended together into such perfection!! Context sesitive actions are added at just the right time, to give a lifelike feel to the game. You can "check" many items in the game to get a eerie discription of what's going on. It addes gread atmosphere. The behind the back view is great. You can only shoot when standing still which means you cannot run from the zombies.. You have to kill them before they get to you!!! It makes for intense gameplay. The boss battles are all challenging and unique. From facing a berserk soldier gone mad, to spearing a giant salamander which being tugged along in a tny rowboat, to running for your life from Salazar's right hand man. The enemies are varied and challenging. Some enemies have crossbows and shoot from a long way off. Some pepper you with dynamite sticks. Some blow flames at your carnaval style. Some just run towards you with a chainsaw, and near invincability, some are blind with good hearing and the ablity to hack you to peices if they discover your location. Some sneak attack you from above, to hurl acid onto you. Some are invincable to all but the most careful avenues of attack. Oh the list goes on and on. Plus the mere zombies attack you en mass. It's not a FPS game at all. It's a game of crowd control. 10-30 enemies are all after you at once. They aim to corner you in and smother you. You must use your wits, and guns to keep them at bay. Merely shooting random enemies will only get your killed. You must outthink your zombie opponent's or simply die. Anyway in conclusion this one of the best games ever made. It stands right up there with Ocarina of Time, as one of the best. I'm not kidding you. I'm the world's most picky gamer and even I love it. Expand
  90. KenM.
    Apr 27, 2006
    Amazing game for the Gamecube. Must have game!
  91. JoseA.
    Apr 26, 2006
    I have never been so entertained by a video game(Trust me i've played them all) in my whole life. This is in my opinion the best game of all time.
  92. BrooksG.
    Apr 17, 2006
    RE4 is the best friggin game ive ever played,i mean them not being dumb friggin zombies,but smarter and stronger villagers and awesome bosses.Point is,the game is flawless,beautiful graphics,awesome ai,and 3rd person views.if u have a ps2 or gamecube,i suggest u try this game out.
  93. MarkL.
    Mar 29, 2006
    This game is completely different to any previous Resident Evil games and is all the better because of it. The incredibly simple control system is a joy to use, the graphics are excellent and it's just really great fun.
  94. I.Lynch
    Mar 25, 2006
    this game shouldnt be called resident evil, it's so completly different from the others. but its definatly the best. and pretty damn scary too, watch out for those regenerators!
  95. BrendanO.
    Mar 25, 2006
    This game kicks vombie-creature-BUTT!!! It's the best console game out and it rocks! Seriously, the reply value is incredible. You can beat the game over and over and it never gets boring. You just have a blast pumping 100s of rounds into those....well...creatures. It's just a heck of a riot! BUY THIS GAME...it's the most fun you'll have on any console!
  96. LeonK.
    Mar 20, 2006
    Perfect game.
  97. DavidG.
    Mar 20, 2006
    I read about video games much more than I actually play them. The only system I own is the GameCube and I enjoy Puyo Pop from time to time. I had heard an awful lot about RE4, but was wary about spending $40 for a new copy of a game that's a year old. Thank god it came out at $20 last week. This is, quite honestly, the best adventure game I've ever played, taking that title from I read about video games much more than I actually play them. The only system I own is the GameCube and I enjoy Puyo Pop from time to time. I had heard an awful lot about RE4, but was wary about spending $40 for a new copy of a game that's a year old. Thank god it came out at $20 last week. This is, quite honestly, the best adventure game I've ever played, taking that title from Half-Life. In terms of atmosphere, graphics, sounds, and control, I can't think of a more immersive game. My only complaint is Ashley. I hate games where you have to protect someone, but she's kind of important to the storyline. A recommended must-buy. Expand
  98. CristianC.
    Mar 11, 2006
    this game is the best game ever. i can't stop playing it it's that good it kicks ass! The unlockable weapons are so cool and makes the game so fun.I hate the ps2 it sucks and wanted resident evil4 only because it's the best game out there. the only problem is Ashley she dies way! to easily and also leon he also easily. but other than that anyone who thinks this game sucks this game is the best game ever. i can't stop playing it it's that good it kicks ass! The unlockable weapons are so cool and makes the game so fun.I hate the ps2 it sucks and wanted resident evil4 only because it's the best game out there. the only problem is Ashley she dies way! to easily and also leon he also easily. but other than that anyone who thinks this game sucks they're just idiot, like my friend aaron, he thinks it's geeting but that hell of not true the resident evil series is great and a classic. Expand
  99. ArthurJ.
    Mar 4, 2006
    This Is one of the most action-packed Resident evil Games Out there. I love the Bosses and the Weapons and the whole story itself.
  100. SkaterAce
    Feb 24, 2006
    Excellent the game is a mind blowing experience with a clever use of the over the shoulder camera. I love it.

1. 10 / 9 / 9 / 10 - 38 platinum [Jan 2005]
  2. Simply put, Resident Evil 4 is the tightest, most accessible game in the series and one of the best games out there.
  3. Magnificent. It's a terrific, if tardy, showcase for the GameCube, and it's every bit as worthy as the Halos, the GTAs, and the MGSes of this generation. This is a stunning return to form. (Happy Trails, GMR staff!) [Feb 2005]