• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Apr 30, 2002
  • Also On: PC
9.2

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Loved this game. This might be the best game ive played.i love all the horror,puzzles,and mysteries in this game. That is what makes resident evil...resident evil.i think its the best resident evil
  2. AustinY.
    May 5, 2002
    WOW thanks Ryan that sure is kind of you to speak so highly of me but everyone knows your the best at the game. Quit trying to make me feel good. Anyway this game kicks is the best. Great graphics great sound and a big improvement over the original. I love this game. Thanks again ryan!
  3. Jeremy
    Jul 20, 2002
    This game is THE SH*T!!!
  4. Mark
    Sep 20, 2002
    That loser that gave the game a one, I bet the game kicked his ass. I bet he sucks at videogames so bad that the game kicked him were it herts. What a dum ass. The game has the sweetest graphics of the year. That guy really made me mad. But the game is sweet. I love it.
  5. BenD.
    Aug 11, 2005
    This is one of the best games on the gamecube. The game is incredibly atmosphereic and occasionaly frightening at times thanks to some of the best graphics on the gamecube. The controls are cumbersome at first and its hard to aim when you are being attacked, but you will get used to them. I actually found that after I got used to them, I sort of liked the controls is a sick, masochistic This is one of the best games on the gamecube. The game is incredibly atmosphereic and occasionaly frightening at times thanks to some of the best graphics on the gamecube. The controls are cumbersome at first and its hard to aim when you are being attacked, but you will get used to them. I actually found that after I got used to them, I sort of liked the controls is a sick, masochistic kind of way. Expand
  6. AlexP.
    Dec 8, 2007
    One of the finest and most terrifying experiences in computer game history. I have to build myself up before I play this, get myself in the zone. Fantastic, intriguing storyline and a brilliant revamping of the ol' haunted mansion deal. RE4 may have the pick up and play gameplay but because REmake is one of the most absorbing and horrifying 12 hours you'll ever spend, this has One of the finest and most terrifying experiences in computer game history. I have to build myself up before I play this, get myself in the zone. Fantastic, intriguing storyline and a brilliant revamping of the ol' haunted mansion deal. RE4 may have the pick up and play gameplay but because REmake is one of the most absorbing and horrifying 12 hours you'll ever spend, this has the edge for me. Lisa Trevor still sends shivers down my spine. Expand
  7. DannyA.
    May 1, 2002
    Resident Evil for gamecube is truly a masterpiece! The graphics are unbelieveable and the gameplay is superior. If you already haven't gone out and bought a gamecube for this great game I strongly reccomend you do!
  8. JoeM.
    Nov 21, 2007
    My favourite RE of all time. When I think upon the franchise called, 'Resident Evil', I think about this particular remake. I got this when I was 12 years old, and I didnt enjoy it because it scared the absolute hell outta me, but now I'm 17. I bought a gamecube again just so I can relive the experience. I am now back in the mansion with all the hunters and I AM LOVIN' My favourite RE of all time. When I think upon the franchise called, 'Resident Evil', I think about this particular remake. I got this when I was 12 years old, and I didnt enjoy it because it scared the absolute hell outta me, but now I'm 17. I bought a gamecube again just so I can relive the experience. I am now back in the mansion with all the hunters and I AM LOVIN' IT. Just like what a previous reviewer said below me, you have to relax and let the game engulf you. Expand
  9. AlphaTeam
    Oct 2, 2003
    Only one word "excellent. "
  10. DanA.
    Jun 2, 2002
    Just wicked.
  11. Dario
    Aug 7, 2002
    I played this game in the dark, my speakers all the way up, it scared the *beep* out of me. A MUST for GC owners!
  12. SamJ.
    Mar 6, 2007
    Truely... a masterpiece. sure you can run around and finish the game in about 5 or six hours or whatever... but if you take it slow... sit back, and experience, LIVE resident evil you will enjoy the game so much more!! let all the creepy sounds and shadows get to you a bit... You will not go wrong with resident evil gc!!
  13. KyleD.
    May 3, 2002
    The games graphics are the best on any console, period. There is 70-80% new areas, puzzles, redone area's, monsters, etc. The cut scenes are in real-time and look better than the PSone versions FMV scenes. And as for the same old control style, there is a reason. The controls make it harder to move around, and escape zombies. This makes the game that much more challenging and heart The games graphics are the best on any console, period. There is 70-80% new areas, puzzles, redone area's, monsters, etc. The cut scenes are in real-time and look better than the PSone versions FMV scenes. And as for the same old control style, there is a reason. The controls make it harder to move around, and escape zombies. This makes the game that much more challenging and heart pounding! A must have for any GCN owner. Should tide you over until Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is released! Expand
  14. FunkayG.
    Mar 9, 2003
    Best version of Resident Evil yet, the gamecube finally provides the platform to view the game as it should be seen.
  15. JamesT.
    Apr 25, 2003
    The best resident evil out there at the moment, zero is no comparison. This game is quite possibly the best one ever created.
  16. DanielM.
    Nov 2, 2004
    Old but still one of the best games ever.
  17. FANBOY
    Aug 4, 2004
    This is the scariest game I have ever played... Period! I never played any of the PSone versions, but who cares. One of the 10 best games of all time in my opinion.
  18. WilliamG.
    Feb 6, 2007
    You can't go wrong with this title. It's got everything a "survival-horror" lover could ever want. The graphics are the icing on the cake, but this "REmake" retains all of the glory of the original (and best) Resident Evil release thus far. As a big fan of the earlier titles, none too pleased with the overrated and boring mess that was Resident Evil 4, I can assure you that if You can't go wrong with this title. It's got everything a "survival-horror" lover could ever want. The graphics are the icing on the cake, but this "REmake" retains all of the glory of the original (and best) Resident Evil release thus far. As a big fan of the earlier titles, none too pleased with the overrated and boring mess that was Resident Evil 4, I can assure you that if you feel the same way, this is the game to buy if you're still hunting for a REAL Resident Evil title on your GameCube. Expand
  19. MarcusM.
    Jul 13, 2003
    Its the better than every game in the world put together the graphics are sweet the part when the dogs jump out of the window gives you a heart attack nearly best played inthe dark on your own.
  20. ConorM.
    Jul 6, 2004
    BRILLIANT! Great graphics and heart-stopping horror!
  21. DanMan
    Mar 1, 2005
    Second ONLY to Eternal Darkness.
  22. MarcB.
    Mar 23, 2005
    The first one scared me absoloutly sh**less. But the re-released version is 10 times scarier. The graphics, gameplay and atmosphere are all even better. It really is one of the top five games I have ever playd. Buy it!!!!!!
  23. SFC
    Jul 18, 2005
    A great remake to a great game! Good graphics was that which made the old RE's less scary and somewhat unplayable. It's sad to know that RE 2 and 3 won't be remade as well.
  24. MichaelD.
    Sep 6, 2005
    This games is really hard at first it rocks thow i sugguest this game for hard core fans!!!
  25. MikeP.
    May 21, 2002
    Xengamers = Ass.
  26. RyanP.
    May 4, 2002
    This game stinks. Actually I just stink at it. I played it for about 23 hours! But I can't beat it, I'm probably only about half way through it! But I am getting help from my friend Austin who has beat it sveral times with each charactor, he's really good, Well anyway, its a good game..... if you are good at it (like Austin), but if you are like me and you stink at it then This game stinks. Actually I just stink at it. I played it for about 23 hours! But I can't beat it, I'm probably only about half way through it! But I am getting help from my friend Austin who has beat it sveral times with each charactor, he's really good, Well anyway, its a good game..... if you are good at it (like Austin), but if you are like me and you stink at it then you probly want to look somewhere else because it is very hard. Expand
  27. MitchellM.
    Jun 3, 2002
    This game was so good the effects cant get any greater and the gameplay is amazing it had me on the edge of my seet the whole time i played.
  28. BradyC.
    Jun 4, 2002
    It just simply kicks @$$ there where a couple of parts in the middle of the night where i nearly crapped myself. PS. if u lean down to light one unfire if its not dead u will find out and the those dam one that dissapear come back and scare the crap out of u so watch ur back.
  29. LeiH.
    Jun 8, 2002
    Being a girl I enjoyed playing as jill in this horror game. this is the best way to get u scared so bad that u might have an accident.
  30. AngieF.
    Aug 30, 2002
    This game was AMAZING. I love the game, and I think Rebecca and Chris are wicked. And for all your CG owners, get off your couch and buy this game! Wicked game. Just....absolutely wicked. I played the game a few times, and got Chris in another costume, along with Rebecca with her alternate costume. So, enjoy the game everyone!
  31. JohanO.
    Jun 6, 2003
    I löve Resident Evil! One of the best games ever created and now with the best graphics!
  32. BrendanB.
    Sep 15, 2003
    This game is one of the best games of all time it deserves 10 simply awesome game one of the best games ever made. resident evil is the best.
  33. JoshB.
    Sep 1, 2004
    Upon playing nearly every survival horror game out there, I've decided that this one is, hands down, the best...period.
  34. JesseS.
    Jun 18, 2005
    One of the best games the GameCube has to offer. The graphics are nothing short of AMAZING. Prerendered backgrounds all look lush and full of detail, with fantastic lighting. The character models are nothing short of superb, and the zombies look terrific. Gameplay is what you would normally expect out of Resident Evil, but with a few new features, such as the defensive items and the new One of the best games the GameCube has to offer. The graphics are nothing short of AMAZING. Prerendered backgrounds all look lush and full of detail, with fantastic lighting. The character models are nothing short of superb, and the zombies look terrific. Gameplay is what you would normally expect out of Resident Evil, but with a few new features, such as the defensive items and the new 'crimson head' zombies. There are also quite a few new areas for you to explore in this remake. The controls almost feel like they were MEANT for the GameCube's controller, although people will still have their complaints of the 'tank-like controls'. The sound is nothing short of amazing, also. All in all, this is one of the greatest games done even better than it was, and its a joy to play through, with great replay value. A must-have for any Resident Evil fan. Expand
  35. JoshK.
    Jul 24, 2006
    Ugh, the inverted controls, camera angles and limited ammo were pants, but after 30 minutes of play you found yourself immersed in a fantastic remake of a landmark survval horror game, far more chilling and panic-inducing than it's sequels.
  36. WesM
    Feb 16, 2009
    The controls are done as they are on purpose. For one thing, the game uses a prerendered background, therefore the camera must be set. You can't praise the graphics but put down the controls and camera because of this. Secondly, the controls add to the atmosphere. The creators of the game will tell you that they are like they are to be suspenseful. If you God of War style controls, The controls are done as they are on purpose. For one thing, the game uses a prerendered background, therefore the camera must be set. You can't praise the graphics but put down the controls and camera because of this. Secondly, the controls add to the atmosphere. The creators of the game will tell you that they are like they are to be suspenseful. If you God of War style controls, then zombies would be REALLY easy to avoid, and the game would be boring. It's about the ATMOSPHERE people! Expand
  37. A.T.
    Oct 12, 2002
    AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  38. Oct 29, 2012
    Resident Evil is a real non-linear, full of sharp and scary moments.Eta masterpiece. Plus many endings and punch atmosphere terror.Game one in a billion!
  39. Dec 2, 2012
    Just played this game today. This is a true RE game, Not RE5-6. The fixed cameras which boosted the overall atmosphere. Moody and beautiful soundtrack. The infamous controls. Very limited items. The puzzles. Zombies that could turn into crimson heads if you didn't burned them/decapitate them or blew out their knee caps. Increased random Zombie encouters on harder difficulties. RealJust played this game today. This is a true RE game, Not RE5-6. The fixed cameras which boosted the overall atmosphere. Moody and beautiful soundtrack. The infamous controls. Very limited items. The puzzles. Zombies that could turn into crimson heads if you didn't burned them/decapitate them or blew out their knee caps. Increased random Zombie encouters on harder difficulties. Real Survival & Invincible enemies. This was i.m.o. the best Resident Evil. Resident Evil devs today must buy a Gamecube with this game and Zero, play the crap out of it and then make a new RE game. We want to go through hell again! At least I want to after DS2 Hard Core difficulty :D Expand
  40. ewm
    Dec 30, 2012
    Rebirth resident evil -super riddle and graphics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Best resident evil from all !!!!!!Must buy all fans on GAMECUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  41. Sep 14, 2014
    Reviewers should play games more before reviewing. I've played games for 20 yrs & a lot of "professional reviewers" either have no skills or give me the impression that they don't even like video games.

When it comes to games on the Gamecube & during that generation, this game offers a very interactive experience over more "movie" like games of today like Tomb Raider on PS3. Compared to even a lot of the story based RPGs on the system it pulls you in.

The graphic presentation isn't really what makes the game. It's the creepy mansion setting and layout that has made this game an instant classic when it first came out and what makes it still a memorable experience today.

I'm playing this game in 2014 and looking at it from a modern interpretation of video gaming & this game really is an entertaining game. Though on paper it's a fairly simple system of combat, item collecting, & map memorization, each aspect doesn't ask you to do more than needed so the controls never feel limiting except for one...

In this game you cannot leave an item or pick up an item if your inventory is full. People say play Jill because she has 2 extra inventory spaces. This is horrible until you find the storage chests in the various rooms. In the beginning it will be annoying but later on it does mean some backtracking but load times are quick & the mansion isn't that big that you'll dread going back and forth. This flaw though has a justifiable reason though so KEEP READING:

In RE Zero ( a top favorite of mine that was designed specifically for the gamecube) you can leave objects anywhere and come back later to pick them up & the game memorizes where you leave everything until you progress onto the next main area. In this RE the ZOMBIE POSITIONS are MEMORIZED BY THE GAME.

Why that is because in this new RE the zombies never die until you luck out and their head explodes while shooting them or you have to burn them with kerosine in your inventory!

All the zombies you kill eventually rise again but with more durability & the run & lunge fast at you!

The only hint to this is in a paper you have to read.

In fact most the game is like this. You have to utilize & master all the different systems in place like reading, examining up close your inventory, attacking with your knife, modifying your control scheme etc...

This is a very detailed game that provides a great sense of control & accomplishment once you get used to it. AND NO MATTER WHAT pro reviewers say these controls worked for people almost a decade ago when it was it first came out on the Playstation 1 and it's not that difficult or clunky as some suggest & it would be a shame to miss the game based on that.

Most reviewers talk about the looks and controls. I'm going to write that it's much more than these... It's about a classic game environment & atmosphere that's still better than what you will find since it's release. It's also very challenging because you have to remember everything & it's a great game to play with my girlfriend watching in a dark room as she helps me keep track.

It's not perfect so I'm giving it a 9... because I think though the developer's focus on having the game memorizing the zombie positions and them resurrecting harder is definitely intense it does remove some sense of realism & common sense that our heroes should be able to leave things to pick up stuff that's more important but despite this you get a game that has different difficulty levels, two playable characters to play through with & it's a fairly long adventure.

I keep this game in my top 30 list of must have Gamecube games & I honestly feel you should too, right next to RE4, RE Zero & Code Veronica
  42. Aug 17, 2013
    I am a huge fan of the old-school resident evil series (1-3) and this gaI really believe this game should be the benchmark and starndard for all horror games. Even a simple zombie stalking the corridors would give you the chills as regardless of how much weapons you have available to you, you still feel so much underpowered and it has never been so good to feel that way in a game theseI am a huge fan of the old-school resident evil series (1-3) and this gaI really believe this game should be the benchmark and starndard for all horror games. Even a simple zombie stalking the corridors would give you the chills as regardless of how much weapons you have available to you, you still feel so much underpowered and it has never been so good to feel that way in a game these days. From start to finish i dreaded every corner I turned and every door I opened. If you are the gamer that enjoyed Resident Evil 1 released in the 90's then you are in for a shock. All in all I would recommend this game to everyone who isn't easily frightened and strongly hope this is the standard Capcom will reach to regarding the Resident Evil series life after Shinji Mikami. Expand
  43. May 10, 2014
    I am a huge fan of the old school resident evil series since from the beginning and i must say this remake puts the title to the top and shows what and how resident evil exactly is ...! and tells what we want from the CrapCom in the next survival horror puzzle triangle
    Apr 30, 2002
    Wow, a 5 year old game redone....brilliant!
  45. BlancoA.
    May 7, 2002
    Ok, so I started playing the game as Chris at about 3:30 a.m. to scare the crap out of myself and found the control system to be hugely counterintuitive (not a RE veteran, obviously). I also realized that survival horror is much more adventure-oriented than action, which is fine, but not really my cup of tea. The mansion is absolutely beautiful, and the music is perfect. I soon made the Ok, so I started playing the game as Chris at about 3:30 a.m. to scare the crap out of myself and found the control system to be hugely counterintuitive (not a RE veteran, obviously). I also realized that survival horror is much more adventure-oriented than action, which is fine, but not really my cup of tea. The mansion is absolutely beautiful, and the music is perfect. I soon made the switch to the chick after I read that she's easier (to play as, that is....). And I realized that trying to confront & kill every zombie & mutant dog is an exercise in futility. So I'm on my way. Definitely a good time if played in the DARK, late night. I'm trying to resist the urge to go for the walkthrough..... Expand
  46. ChrisD.
    Jul 5, 2002
    This game stinks in my opinion, which im SURE no one cares about.
  47. TimH.
    Apr 2, 2003
    Looks great. Controls BLOW! Maybe I wouldn't be so harsh if I hadn't just played Eternal Darkness.
  48. JamesN.
    Mar 21, 2003
    It's sh.t.
  49. KrammittheFrog
    Jun 2, 2003
    I am mainly a first-person shooter fan. I decided to purchase a used copy of Resident Evil hoping to jump into a new genre of videogames. I made RE my choice because of the outstanding graphics and the interesting puzzle-solving gameplay. I have to admit, it has the best graphics of any Gamecube game, thus far. However, once I started playing it, I realized how boring it was not being I am mainly a first-person shooter fan. I decided to purchase a used copy of Resident Evil hoping to jump into a new genre of videogames. I made RE my choice because of the outstanding graphics and the interesting puzzle-solving gameplay. I have to admit, it has the best graphics of any Gamecube game, thus far. However, once I started playing it, I realized how boring it was not being able to see the action take place in first-person. I also found it frustrating because of the fixed cameras and not being able to see where the character is going. I believe that the game is not creepy at all, like many critics have said. Maybe if it was in first-person I'd be able to feel the creepiness better. I have come to a conclusion. I didn't like third-person games on previous consoles, and I still don't like them. I don't know, call me a die-hard FPS fan, I guess. If I was a 3rd-person fan, I would most likely give this game the 10 it deserves, but obviously I'm not a 3rd-person fan. Expand
  50. DemonicAngel
    Sep 25, 2004
    Pros: Graphics are extraordinary, with gorgeous prerendered backgrounds and immensely detailed 3D characters. The atmosphere is palpable. -- Cons: The controls are awful, horrible, detestable. They may have been OK for the original Resident Evil, but the world has moved on since then, and frankly I expect to have more control over my gameworld avatar when he/she's being attacked by Pros: Graphics are extraordinary, with gorgeous prerendered backgrounds and immensely detailed 3D characters. The atmosphere is palpable. -- Cons: The controls are awful, horrible, detestable. They may have been OK for the original Resident Evil, but the world has moved on since then, and frankly I expect to have more control over my gameworld avatar when he/she's being attacked by zombies and rabid dogs. And as you know, any game lives or dies by its controls. The gameplay (when you're not frantically battling against the stupid controls in order to defend yourself against zombie attack) is tedious in the extreme, consisting basically of wandering around the mansion until you figure out (without any noticeable clues) what you're supposed to do next. As much as I wanted to like this game, after a while I just could not summon up the will to continue. Not worth the effort unless you loved the original. (And for the record, I never played the original.) Expand
  51. AndrewC.
    Mar 3, 2007
    Woah. I played through RE4 and was stunned and amazed. I played this one and saw...that Capcom truly did revolutionize their series. The camera angles and horrible controls here are so bad I couldn't play for more than ten minutes without shaking my head in disgust and going back to RE4. The graphics may be some of the best on the GameCube, but the controls are seriously bad, Woah. I played through RE4 and was stunned and amazed. I played this one and saw...that Capcom truly did revolutionize their series. The camera angles and horrible controls here are so bad I couldn't play for more than ten minutes without shaking my head in disgust and going back to RE4. The graphics may be some of the best on the GameCube, but the controls are seriously bad, especially in the light of RE4. Seriously. Pressing up to go forward, regardless of the direction you're facing is atrocious. Forget this game, I'm going to go play RE4 right now. Expand
  52. WalterO.
    Nov 19, 2005
    Played the first RE, loved it. Played the second, loved it. Played #4 and loved it. Now, I can't bring myself to sit down with this one for any real ammount of time. Why? Because it uses a cumbersome control system and poor camera angles. Combine that with the tough (HP wise) monsters and you have a bit of a frustrating time ahead of you. The maps have been changed significantly, but Played the first RE, loved it. Played the second, loved it. Played #4 and loved it. Now, I can't bring myself to sit down with this one for any real ammount of time. Why? Because it uses a cumbersome control system and poor camera angles. Combine that with the tough (HP wise) monsters and you have a bit of a frustrating time ahead of you. The maps have been changed significantly, but the addition of "Red" zombies and lack of improvements to gameplay make me reticent to suggest the acquisition of this particular offering. I suggest rental before purchase. Expand
  53. Jun 29, 2014
    With its slow paced gameplay and fixed camera angles Resident Evil was a truly scary survival horror title and this is a superb update of the PSone original that improves the graphics and adds in a few extra elements as well. Of course the flaws, such as the clunky controls and terrible voice acting are still present but even today this is a game still worth playing.
  54. Jun 27, 2012
    This is, in my opinion, a shining example of a remake done right. It stays almost completely parallel to the original except with updated graphics, cinematics, and voice acting. None more was really needed, as the original resident evil's core was just fine and didn't need to change... with the exception of the bad gameplay mechanics.
  55. MarcusK.
    Apr 12, 2003
    Of course this game deserves a 10, any R.E. fan would rate it at that. I know some people prefer different types of games and this may not suit anybody, but just look at it!Excellent Graphics, Superb Sounds and mood music,excellent gameplay and one-of-a-kind storyline, no-one could match the brilliance of this game. (except of course, Capcom)Another thing, it has to be the scariest game I Of course this game deserves a 10, any R.E. fan would rate it at that. I know some people prefer different types of games and this may not suit anybody, but just look at it!Excellent Graphics, Superb Sounds and mood music,excellent gameplay and one-of-a-kind storyline, no-one could match the brilliance of this game. (except of course, Capcom)Another thing, it has to be the scariest game I have ever played, and that's just Playing as Jill,the sounds of the creatures stirring in a room, out of view due to the excellent position the cameras are placed to create the ultimate amount of tension were enough to make me almost have an accident, especially the "jump"moments where creatures jumped out from places that you didn't expect.I could go on and on about how this game kicks other games asses but I think I'll have to go and oogle over Jill in her military costume some more. Expand
  56. PaulH.
    Nov 8, 2002
    Chris D. u aint got a clue. How can a game as brilliant as resident evil in looks, gameplay and just about everything be a 1.
  57. ZombieLover59
    Dec 24, 2002
    One of, if not the BEST looking games ever created...And to those who have no clue...the control is supposed to be like that! It DOES add to the tension. I find myself dreading every blind corner in fear of engaging in combat with the zombies simply because they are so realistically frightening. Definitely one of the creepiest games ever made...bravo capcom!
  58. TonyJ.
    Aug 6, 2003
    Great Effects, Great Story, Just GREAT!!
  59. MikeyC.
    Jun 18, 2002
    Can't get better than this...
  60. MikeM.
    Jul 23, 2002
    Hands on, this game (i'm sad to say) looks better than xbox and is the only game to ever make me jump, it felt my heart race as i tried to kill a zombie that just came back.
  61. SueM.
    Sep 22, 2002
    This game really scared the crap out of me, I LOVED it, the deatails were unbelivable!!! This is one game you should have!!!
  62. Apersonwholovesthisgame
    Mar 13, 2003
    Talk about a challenging game!!! What I love about this game is that it scares the freaking hell out of me everytime I play it!!! I seriously reccommend this game for anyone who own a Nintendo Gamecube (GC)!!!!!!!
  63. O.CERVANTES
    Jun 29, 2003
    TERRORIFIC, EXCELENT, ITS THE REAL DRESCRIPTION.
  64. KevinR.
    Nov 11, 2004
    This game is amazing. i have played re games, and was never really that scared, but this one just blew me away. its beautiful graphics and great story make a perfect combination, but thats only half of it. its the suspense that really sucks you in. its not like there are 10 zombies in every room and things are popping out everywhere. they get you when you least expect it, and they dontThis game is amazing. i have played re games, and was never really that scared, but this one just blew me away. its beautiful graphics and great story make a perfect combination, but thats only half of it. its the suspense that really sucks you in. its not like there are 10 zombies in every room and things are popping out everywhere. they get you when you least expect it, and they dont take every oppurtunity to scare you. instead of that they make you scared of what could be around every corner, and that is way better than having monsters everywhere. the only downside is that sometimes it just seems impossibly hard and you kind of get pissed, but for the most part i was sucked in and my heart was pounding out of my chest. a must have for gamecube. Expand
  65. ALeXG.
    Nov 8, 2004
    This is one scary game. The graphics are some of the best ive seen on any consol. although the environments can look a bit static at times they are still really good looking. especially the outside areas. as for the camera angles and controls i dont have a problem with either. by not bein able to see a zombie through a certain camera angle the tension goes up. yeah as for This is one scary game. The graphics are some of the best ive seen on any consol. although the environments can look a bit static at times they are still really good looking. especially the outside areas. as for the camera angles and controls i dont have a problem with either. by not bein able to see a zombie through a certain camera angle the tension goes up. yeah as for 'xengamers'' no one has heard or wants to hear of u so stop giving great games like this rubbish scores. u are the rubbish. Expand
  66. PaulW
    Nov 29, 2008
    The Gamecube Resident Evil remake is one of the great success stories in videogaming. This game was created afresh, from the bare structure of the original game, as an AAA experience. It is so good that Metroid Prime has continued to have serious competition as to which is the best Gamecube game (sorry The Wind Waker, you have quite a few flaws in my book). Resident Evil shares some The Gamecube Resident Evil remake is one of the great success stories in videogaming. This game was created afresh, from the bare structure of the original game, as an AAA experience. It is so good that Metroid Prime has continued to have serious competition as to which is the best Gamecube game (sorry The Wind Waker, you have quite a few flaws in my book). Resident Evil shares some similarities to Metroid Prime- - both start off relatively quietly (well, after MP's short first level). Both have areas that need to be opened by solving puzzles/obtaining items. Both have calm areas (eg the save points) and very tense areas, which is emphasised by very different music throughout. Both have big bosses. Both have rooms that do not need to be entered to finish the game but may contain great extras. Both have maze-like maps. The lighting and fire effects in this remake are only rivalled on the Gamecube by Luigi's Mansion (a game that is a bit like a child's introduction to the mechanics of Resident Evil). Entering each room is sometimes a bit like gazing upon an Old Master, full of rich detail and nuance. Moths buzz around a lampost outside the mansion. The central staircase has gleaming polished wood. This elegant environment is slowly found to be torn by furious zombies and merciless Hunters. Part of the charm of this game is that, at some point you will find a trapdoor or an entrance outide leading to some entirely different aspect of the game. You will stumble upon all the trappings of a 1950s science fiction B-Movie, except lavished with all care and attention of a main movie. To me, this game is more timeless than Resident Evil 4. The remake's character models, cut scenes, voice acting and general attention to detail are superior . RE4 is a broader, more gore and action filled game that concentrates on quickly getting you from A to B, wthout ever going back to A or B, and without giving you much of interest to stop for.. The remake is an inherently classier game that tells a story in time honoured tradition and lets you soak in its gothic horror atmosphere. Sadly, it seems that RE5 will conitnue to neglect the puzzle solving aspect that was found in the remake. By RE6 the time will come for reinvention and I hope that it will involve returning to the more detail-driven, house-based nature of the earlier games. Expand
  67. MeleeMaster
    Dec 18, 2002
    This is the only game that will actually make you jump straight out of your seat! It is incredibly scary and I recommend it to anyone.
  68. Leviathon
    Nov 15, 2003
    Wow, I have only 1 time ever bought a gaming system for 1 title...Until now..again. RE remake maybe a REMAKE of a 5 year old game, but with the leaps and bounds in the storyline, camera angles, graphics (I never thought pre-rendered environments could look so stunning) & the game itself it's like an entirly new game.Not enough good things can and will be said about this rare gem in Wow, I have only 1 time ever bought a gaming system for 1 title...Until now..again. RE remake maybe a REMAKE of a 5 year old game, but with the leaps and bounds in the storyline, camera angles, graphics (I never thought pre-rendered environments could look so stunning) & the game itself it's like an entirly new game.Not enough good things can and will be said about this rare gem in video game history. props to capcom again on the emvironments, can't wait for the fully 3-d backgrounds said to be on RE4. Expand
  69. DaveB.
    Nov 18, 2003
    This game is not only scary while you play it, but i found that it stays with you after you've shut off your system. I hadn't played any of the PSone versions of Resident Evil with sh.tty graphics, so the game was all-new to me. It was an awesome game experience, like seeing a really good and scary movie!
  70. Jan 19, 2011
    I loved this game and was one of the most compelling reasons to buy a Gamecube and if you own a Wii now you should try this game out. The graphics aged well because at the time they were simply incredible.
  71. Jan 1, 2011
    I love how they redid resident evil 1 but, I felt like the game was a real challenge wear the zombies come back to life if you didn't head shot them or burn them on fire. Also trying to find ammo was very difficult but, overall i loved the game and the whole resident evil story. Resident evil 5 is a joke. Love most resident evil games obviously :P
  72. Jan 2, 2011
    Amazing remake. Has the 180 turn, lightning effects, redesigned cutscenes/.graphics. Okay, the bad voice acting was what made RE1 good but revamped it's just better. Literally, as a GC exclusive it's owrth getting one just for this game. I have played all of the other Resident Evils and this is definitely the best. Jill
  73. Mar 9, 2011
    The overall ambiance of this game is astounding! Though the camera angles can get annoying sometimes, this game is definitely one of the best survival-horror titles I have EVER played. The plot, music and visual effects are some of the best I've ever seen on the GameCube.
  74. Nov 5, 2011
    Best RE game, hands down. Excellent atmosphere, great visuals, tight controls. Kept me on the edge of my seat all the time, and still do reruns from time to time. Amazing, one of Capcom's last great games.
  75. Oct 12, 2011
    By today's standards this is by far not a perfect game... the controls need getting used to... the writing is sometimes worse than in old Norris movies... but this is an oldy in trendy clothes... and despite all of its archaic shortcomings this is a great game - if you like the Resident Evil games, that is. After playing only Resident Evil 5 I really wanted to expierience the older games,By today's standards this is by far not a perfect game... the controls need getting used to... the writing is sometimes worse than in old Norris movies... but this is an oldy in trendy clothes... and despite all of its archaic shortcomings this is a great game - if you like the Resident Evil games, that is. After playing only Resident Evil 5 I really wanted to expierience the older games, the origins... and I got what I wanted. This is of course a completly diffrent expierience than the newer games. It is more about building a suspensefull atmosphere, where even one random zombie encounter could be your last. The music supports this almost on every occasion (the exeption is the horrible shark fight score)!
    The biggest issue I had, was the terrible inventory... not enough slots... which cqused endless needless backtracking, the same is to say about saving the game... those limited saves are a real pain. But in the end you get an interesting and suspensfull origins story on characters you care... couse if you don't care for them... move along... this might not be the right game for you.
  76. Jun 11, 2011
    I am a huge Resident Evil fan. I've been playing the game since it first came out on the Playstation back in 1996. When I heard that they were remaking the first game, I first thought that it would be horrible. Remakes usually are. However when I played this game, I got an enormous rush of fun and fear that I had not felt since the first time I played the original. This game is pretty muchI am a huge Resident Evil fan. I've been playing the game since it first came out on the Playstation back in 1996. When I heard that they were remaking the first game, I first thought that it would be horrible. Remakes usually are. However when I played this game, I got an enormous rush of fun and fear that I had not felt since the first time I played the original. This game is pretty much flawless. The story is still great, and the little expansions to the story they added between this and the original were great as well. The graphics blew me away, considering it is coming from the Gamecube. The sound is great and the music is perfect. Everything comes together smoothly and creates one of the scariest and best games I've ever played. The only flaw I saw was the controls. The controls do retain the stationary camera scheme and the controls do take getting used too. As a Resident Evil fan though, the controls didn't bother me, and instead gave me a feeling of deja vu from my days on the original game. I do sympathize though with people who do criticize the controls, because I too think it is time to move on to a better control scheme with moving and shooting. I rarely give a 10 in my reviews, but I will not hesitate with this game. This game definitely deserves a 10 and Capcom has proven that remakes are not always a bad idea. Expand
  77. Jun 13, 2014
    El juego lleva la fórmula clásica hasta niveles de casi fotorealismo. No sólo es que sea bonito, sino que tiene una de las mejores ambientaciones, situación de cámaras y detalles que se haya visto en un juego de terror de cualquier generación (incluidas ps3-360). RE es la despedida de un estilo de juego que vivió su esplendor en la primera ps1 y que también es uno de los mejores juegos deEl juego lleva la fórmula clásica hasta niveles de casi fotorealismo. No sólo es que sea bonito, sino que tiene una de las mejores ambientaciones, situación de cámaras y detalles que se haya visto en un juego de terror de cualquier generación (incluidas ps3-360). RE es la despedida de un estilo de juego que vivió su esplendor en la primera ps1 y que también es uno de los mejores juegos de terror hechos en cualquier época. Expand
  78. Jun 28, 2012
    This along side RE4 are the ultimate Resident Evil games with Resident Evil 2 not to far behind. This full on Remake updates everything from the original, whilst adding tons of new features and areas. The results is that REmake improves over the original in every single way. Amazing visuals and updated acting/cutscenes. This game is a classic within a classic.
  79. May 27, 2012
    A masterpiece. When I think of Resident Evil, this is the game I think of. The epitome of Resident Evil. This game is still masterful today and one of the best if not the best survival horror game. I daydream about this game so much. One of the best experience ever that will stick with you for a lifetime.
  80. Aug 12, 2012
    This game, even by todays standards, is still amazing. The graphics are still some of the best i have ever seen and the over scare factor is great. This isnt just a remake, its a reimagining. There are so many differences to the original, and so much added in. The game is just great. You have to burn zombies or decap them or they'll come back as crimson heads and they are tough. TheThis game, even by todays standards, is still amazing. The graphics are still some of the best i have ever seen and the over scare factor is great. This isnt just a remake, its a reimagining. There are so many differences to the original, and so much added in. The game is just great. You have to burn zombies or decap them or they'll come back as crimson heads and they are tough. The new defensive items are a big help to escape getting hurt and the game is still just so good looking its impressive. Why cant they make all games look like this? The atmosphere is fantastic and the controls ( though most people dont like them) are great because thats how this game is meant to be played. I really suggest this game to anyone whos a fan of survival horror just cause of how great it really is. Expand
  81. Jan 13, 2013
    One of my personal favorites. Its a simple but engaging story filled with choices and goals that could change the fate and outcome of the characters( to my knowledge this is the ONLY RE game that does this). If you like the tank controls and classic camera angles then you'll like the game play. I've played most RE games but this one is no doubt the scariest. This game is tough, but itsOne of my personal favorites. Its a simple but engaging story filled with choices and goals that could change the fate and outcome of the characters( to my knowledge this is the ONLY RE game that does this). If you like the tank controls and classic camera angles then you'll like the game play. I've played most RE games but this one is no doubt the scariest. This game is tough, but its compelling and truly makes you feel the need to survive. And finally, the graphics....they are stylized beautifully. They truly make the game atmospheric and creepy and they are what EVERY horror game should look like.

This game is fantastic, if you like horror, you must play it.
  82. Jan 25, 2013
    A fantastic remake. To be honest, I think this is better than the original in every regard, graphics, voice acting, combat, atmosphere, etc. pretty much everything. Most importantly it generally stays true to the original, with few minor alteration. New elements are just an improvement. The Zombie shark is just AWESOME!! Overall: Just utterly brilliant. I love this game, I wish all remakesA fantastic remake. To be honest, I think this is better than the original in every regard, graphics, voice acting, combat, atmosphere, etc. pretty much everything. Most importantly it generally stays true to the original, with few minor alteration. New elements are just an improvement. The Zombie shark is just AWESOME!! Overall: Just utterly brilliant. I love this game, I wish all remakes would be given this kind of care and attention. Expand
  83. May 4, 2013
    Best remake ever. All of the additions are of essence. Graphics hold up really nice even today (11 years after release). Brings back all of the chills of the original and even adds a really great sidestory.

Controls feel clunky these days and the voice acting is from a B movie (although better than the original). Still best in the series... probably.
  84. Jan 28, 2013
    This is by far one of the scariest games that i have ever played. When i bought it i was expecting nothing was going to be change just a graphics boost but boy i was wrong (well some things were sort of the same from my previous play through on the PS1) there were some new puzzles which i liked and new zombies which scare the crap out of me this game. To make the review short i wouldThis is by far one of the scariest games that i have ever played. When i bought it i was expecting nothing was going to be change just a graphics boost but boy i was wrong (well some things were sort of the same from my previous play through on the PS1) there were some new puzzles which i liked and new zombies which scare the crap out of me this game. To make the review short i would recommend this title to any horror fan out there give it a shot. :) Expand
  85. Mar 11, 2013
    This is one of my favorite games of all time. The atmosphere is so great, and it terrified me as a child. The characters are truly dynamic but cliche at the same time. I like that they give Jill lots of extra skills to make up for her lesser strength and stamina. Also, the puzzles were so challenging the first time I played it, but it just made the game that much more enjoyable once IThis is one of my favorite games of all time. The atmosphere is so great, and it terrified me as a child. The characters are truly dynamic but cliche at the same time. I like that they give Jill lots of extra skills to make up for her lesser strength and stamina. Also, the puzzles were so challenging the first time I played it, but it just made the game that much more enjoyable once I actually figured out the gist of all the puzzles. Expand
  86. Aug 9, 2014
    Isso sim é Resident Evil, no estilo survival horror ,onde você pensa em economizar munição, deixando no clima de terror ,ótimo gráfico naquela época, tomara que a franquia volte nesse estilo de terror, um dos melhores jogos.
  87. Sep 30, 2013
    A masterpiece. Probably the best survival horror game ever made.
  88. Jan 27, 2015
    The ultimate horror game. Silent Hill 2 was for years my favorite survival horror game, until this game showed and schooled every developer on how to do a survival horror.

The game makes you feel vulnerable: you are slower than some (many) of your enemies, your ammo is scarce, you cannot move or jump like Rambo, you have a very limited supply of healing items and (the first time at least) you have no idea what is behind each corner.

You will find yourself returning to this game over and over again, and not only because of the nostalgic factor, but because of the quality it has even for today standards.

1. This remake could almost be described as a new game. But is it really Resident Evil without the laughably bad voice acting? [Feb 2003, p.96]
  2. An incredibly impressive re-imagining of a gaming classic.
  3. The graphics are some of the best we have ever witnessed in a game to date, the storyline has been refined giving you more information about Umbrella and STARS, the game itself is pure genius.