• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Apr 30, 2002
  • Also On: PC
9.3

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Loved this game. This might be the best game ive played.i love all the horror,puzzles,and mysteries in this game. That is what makes resident evil...resident evil.i think its the best resident evil
  2. Oct 29, 2012
    Resident Evil is a real non-linear, full of sharp and scary moments.Eta masterpiece. Plus many endings and punch atmosphere terror.Game one in a billion!
  3. Dec 2, 2012
    Just played this game today. This is a true RE game, Not RE5-6. The fixed cameras which boosted the overall atmosphere. Moody and beautiful soundtrack. The infamous controls. Very limited items. The puzzles. Zombies that could turn into crimson heads if you didn't burned them/decapitate them or blew out their knee caps. Increased random Zombie encouters on harder difficulties. Real Survival & Invincible enemies. This was i.m.o. the best Resident Evil. Resident Evil devs today must buy a Gamecube with this game and Zero, play the crap out of it and then make a new RE game. We want to go through hell again! At least I want to after DS2 Hard Core difficulty :D Expand
  4. ewm
    Dec 30, 2012
    Rebirth resident evil -super riddle and graphics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Best resident evil from all !!!!!!Must buy all fans on GAMECUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Sep 14, 2014
    Reviewers should play games more before reviewing. I've played games for 20 yrs & a lot of "professional reviewers" either have no skills or give me the impression that they don't even like video games.

When it comes to games on the Gamecube & during that generation, this game offers a very interactive experience over more "movie" like games of today like Tomb Raider on PS3. Compared to
    even a lot of the story based RPGs on the system it pulls you in.

The graphic presentation isn't really what makes the game. It's the creepy mansion setting and layout that has made this game an instant classic when it first came out and what makes it still a memorable experience today.

I'm playing this game in 2014 and looking at it from a modern interpretation of video gaming & this game really is an entertaining game. Though on paper it's a fairly simple system of combat, item collecting, & map memorization, each aspect doesn't ask you to do more than needed so the controls never feel limiting except for one...

In this game you cannot leave an item or pick up an item if your inventory is full. People say play Jill because she has 2 extra inventory spaces. This is horrible until you find the storage chests in the various rooms. In the beginning it will be annoying but later on it does mean some backtracking but load times are quick & the mansion isn't that big that you'll dread going back and forth. This flaw though has a justifiable reason though so KEEP READING:

In RE Zero ( a top favorite of mine that was designed specifically for the gamecube) you can leave objects anywhere and come back later to pick them up & the game memorizes where you leave everything until you progress onto the next main area. In this RE the ZOMBIE POSITIONS are MEMORIZED BY THE GAME.

Why that is because in this new RE the zombies never die until you luck out and their head explodes while shooting them or you have to burn them with kerosine in your inventory!

All the zombies you kill eventually rise again but with more durability & the run & lunge fast at you!

The only hint to this is in a paper you have to read.

In fact most the game is like this. You have to utilize & master all the different systems in place like reading, examining up close your inventory, attacking with your knife, modifying your control scheme etc...

This is a very detailed game that provides a great sense of control & accomplishment once you get used to it. AND NO MATTER WHAT pro reviewers say these controls worked for people almost a decade ago when it was it first came out on the Playstation 1 and it's not that difficult or clunky as some suggest & it would be a shame to miss the game based on that.

Most reviewers talk about the looks and controls. I'm going to write that it's much more than these... It's about a classic game environment & atmosphere that's still better than what you will find since it's release. It's also very challenging because you have to remember everything & it's a great game to play with my girlfriend watching in a dark room as she helps me keep track.

It's not perfect so I'm giving it a 9... because I think though the developer's focus on having the game memorizing the zombie positions and them resurrecting harder is definitely intense it does remove some sense of realism & common sense that our heroes should be able to leave things to pick up stuff that's more important but despite this you get a game that has different difficulty levels, two playable characters to play through with & it's a fairly long adventure.

I keep this game in my top 30 list of must have Gamecube games & I honestly feel you should too, right next to RE4, RE Zero & Code Veronica
  6. Aug 17, 2013
    I am a huge fan of the old-school resident evil series (1-3) and this gaI really believe this game should be the benchmark and starndard for all horror games. Even a simple zombie stalking the corridors would give you the chills as regardless of how much weapons you have available to you, you still feel so much underpowered and it has never been so good to feel that way in a game these days. From start to finish i dreaded every corner I turned and every door I opened. If you are the gamer that enjoyed Resident Evil 1 released in the 90's then you are in for a shock. All in all I would recommend this game to everyone who isn't easily frightened and strongly hope this is the standard Capcom will reach to regarding the Resident Evil series life after Shinji Mikami. Expand
  7. May 10, 2014
    I am a huge fan of the old school resident evil series since from the beginning and i must say this remake puts the title to the top and shows what and how resident evil exactly is ...! and tells what we want from the CrapCom in the next survival horror puzzle triangle
  8. Jan 19, 2011
    I loved this game and was one of the most compelling reasons to buy a Gamecube and if you own a Wii now you should try this game out. The graphics aged well because at the time they were simply incredible.
  9. Jan 1, 2011
    I love how they redid resident evil 1 but, I felt like the game was a real challenge wear the zombies come back to life if you didn't head shot them or burn them on fire. Also trying to find ammo was very difficult but, overall i loved the game and the whole resident evil story. Resident evil 5 is a joke. Love most resident evil games obviously :P
  10. Jan 2, 2011
    Amazing remake. Has the 180 turn, lightning effects, redesigned cutscenes/.graphics. Okay, the bad voice acting was what made RE1 good but revamped it's just better. Literally, as a GC exclusive it's owrth getting one just for this game. I have played all of the other Resident Evils and this is definitely the best. Jill
  11. Mar 9, 2011
    The overall ambiance of this game is astounding! Though the camera angles can get annoying sometimes, this game is definitely one of the best survival-horror titles I have EVER played. The plot, music and visual effects are some of the best I've ever seen on the GameCube.
  12. Nov 5, 2011
    Best RE game, hands down. Excellent atmosphere, great visuals, tight controls. Kept me on the edge of my seat all the time, and still do reruns from time to time. Amazing, one of Capcom's last great games.
  13. Oct 12, 2011
    By today's standards this is by far not a perfect game... the controls need getting used to... the writing is sometimes worse than in old Norris movies... but this is an oldy in trendy clothes... and despite all of its archaic shortcomings this is a great game - if you like the Resident Evil games, that is. After playing only Resident Evil 5 I really wanted to expierience the older games, the origins... and I got what I wanted. This is of course a completly diffrent expierience than the newer games. It is more about building a suspensefull atmosphere, where even one random zombie encounter could be your last. The music supports this almost on every occasion (the exeption is the horrible shark fight score)!
    The biggest issue I had, was the terrible inventory... not enough slots... which cqused endless needless backtracking, the same is to say about saving the game... those limited saves are a real pain. But in the end you get an interesting and suspensfull origins story on characters you care... couse if you don't care for them... move along... this might not be the right game for you.
  14. Jun 29, 2014
    With its slow paced gameplay and fixed camera angles Resident Evil was a truly scary survival horror title and this is a superb update of the PSone original that improves the graphics and adds in a few extra elements as well. Of course the flaws, such as the clunky controls and terrible voice acting are still present but even today this is a game still worth playing.
  15. Jun 11, 2011
    I am a huge Resident Evil fan. I've been playing the game since it first came out on the Playstation back in 1996. When I heard that they were remaking the first game, I first thought that it would be horrible. Remakes usually are. However when I played this game, I got an enormous rush of fun and fear that I had not felt since the first time I played the original. This game is pretty much flawless. The story is still great, and the little expansions to the story they added between this and the original were great as well. The graphics blew me away, considering it is coming from the Gamecube. The sound is great and the music is perfect. Everything comes together smoothly and creates one of the scariest and best games I've ever played. The only flaw I saw was the controls. The controls do retain the stationary camera scheme and the controls do take getting used too. As a Resident Evil fan though, the controls didn't bother me, and instead gave me a feeling of deja vu from my days on the original game. I do sympathize though with people who do criticize the controls, because I too think it is time to move on to a better control scheme with moving and shooting. I rarely give a 10 in my reviews, but I will not hesitate with this game. This game definitely deserves a 10 and Capcom has proven that remakes are not always a bad idea. Expand
  16. Jun 13, 2014
    El juego lleva la fórmula clásica hasta niveles de casi fotorealismo. No sólo es que sea bonito, sino que tiene una de las mejores ambientaciones, situación de cámaras y detalles que se haya visto en un juego de terror de cualquier generación (incluidas ps3-360). RE es la despedida de un estilo de juego que vivió su esplendor en la primera ps1 y que también es uno de los mejores juegos de terror hechos en cualquier época. Expand
  17. Jun 28, 2012
    This along side RE4 are the ultimate Resident Evil games with Resident Evil 2 not to far behind. This full on Remake updates everything from the original, whilst adding tons of new features and areas. The results is that REmake improves over the original in every single way. Amazing visuals and updated acting/cutscenes. This game is a classic within a classic.
  18. May 27, 2012
    A masterpiece. When I think of Resident Evil, this is the game I think of. The epitome of Resident Evil. This game is still masterful today and one of the best if not the best survival horror game. I daydream about this game so much. One of the best experience ever that will stick with you for a lifetime.
  19. Jun 27, 2012
    This is, in my opinion, a shining example of a remake done right. It stays almost completely parallel to the original except with updated graphics, cinematics, and voice acting. None more was really needed, as the original resident evil's core was just fine and didn't need to change... with the exception of the bad gameplay mechanics.
  20. Aug 12, 2012
    This game, even by todays standards, is still amazing. The graphics are still some of the best i have ever seen and the over scare factor is great. This isnt just a remake, its a reimagining. There are so many differences to the original, and so much added in. The game is just great. You have to burn zombies or decap them or they'll come back as crimson heads and they are tough. The new defensive items are a big help to escape getting hurt and the game is still just so good looking its impressive. Why cant they make all games look like this? The atmosphere is fantastic and the controls ( though most people dont like them) are great because thats how this game is meant to be played. I really suggest this game to anyone whos a fan of survival horror just cause of how great it really is. Expand
  21. Jan 13, 2013
    One of my personal favorites. Its a simple but engaging story filled with choices and goals that could change the fate and outcome of the characters( to my knowledge this is the ONLY RE game that does this). If you like the tank controls and classic camera angles then you'll like the game play. I've played most RE games but this one is no doubt the scariest. This game is tough, but its compelling and truly makes you feel the need to survive. And finally, the graphics....they are stylized beautifully. They truly make the game atmospheric and creepy and they are what EVERY horror game should look like.

This game is fantastic, if you like horror, you must play it.
  22. Jan 25, 2013
    A fantastic remake. To be honest, I think this is better than the original in every regard, graphics, voice acting, combat, atmosphere, etc. pretty much everything. Most importantly it generally stays true to the original, with few minor alteration. New elements are just an improvement. The Zombie shark is just AWESOME!! Overall: Just utterly brilliant. I love this game, I wish all remakes would be given this kind of care and attention. Expand
  23. May 4, 2013
    Best remake ever. All of the additions are of essence. Graphics hold up really nice even today (11 years after release). Brings back all of the chills of the original and even adds a really great sidestory.

Controls feel clunky these days and the voice acting is from a B movie (although better than the original). Still best in the series... probably.
  24. Jan 28, 2013
    This is by far one of the scariest games that i have ever played. When i bought it i was expecting nothing was going to be change just a graphics boost but boy i was wrong (well some things were sort of the same from my previous play through on the PS1) there were some new puzzles which i liked and new zombies which scare the crap out of me this game. To make the review short i would recommend this title to any horror fan out there give it a shot. :) Expand
  25. Mar 11, 2013
    This is one of my favorite games of all time. The atmosphere is so great, and it terrified me as a child. The characters are truly dynamic but cliche at the same time. I like that they give Jill lots of extra skills to make up for her lesser strength and stamina. Also, the puzzles were so challenging the first time I played it, but it just made the game that much more enjoyable once I actually figured out the gist of all the puzzles. Expand
  26. Aug 9, 2014
    Isso sim é Resident Evil, no estilo survival horror ,onde você pensa em economizar munição, deixando no clima de terror ,ótimo gráfico naquela época, tomara que a franquia volte nesse estilo de terror, um dos melhores jogos.
  27. Sep 30, 2013
    A masterpiece. Probably the best survival horror game ever made.

1. This remake could almost be described as a new game. But is it really Resident Evil without the laughably bad voice acting? [Feb 2003, p.96]
  2. An incredibly impressive re-imagining of a gaming classic.
  3. The graphics are some of the best we have ever witnessed in a game to date, the storyline has been refined giving you more information about Umbrella and STARS, the game itself is pure genius.