• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jan 27, 2003
9.4

1. Jan 30, 2011
    Skies of Arcadia is nothing short of a masterpiece. I'm not even sure where to start. Everything from the bright colorful visuals with in a charming world with distinct towns and cities. The soundtrack while slightly gimped on the GC version (DC version is superior in this aspect), is the best I have ever heard in a video game. For example the boss battle music will actually shift depending on how well (or bad) the fight is going for you. I sometimes found my self just hanging around town so I could listen to the music. The characters are lovable and interesting and I found my self so into their stories and the story at large that I sometimes had to just put the controller down so I didn't rush through the game.

Phew, I haven't even talked about game play yet. It is a standard old school JRPG and if I could get one complaint out of the way is that the random battles can sometimes get excessive. Other than that the gameplay uses a unique system where all the characters share a single action bar with different moves and attacks subtracting from that bar. Special attacks have some great visuals and it's satisfying finishing off a boss with them. I really could go on and on about this game. Go on Ebay and buy either the GC or DC version and play it, if you are even a remote fan of RPG/JRPGS you will not be disappointed
  2. Oct 6, 2011
    Can you name a more exciting JRPG with twists and turns at every corner? Skies of Arcadia is a game that pulls off everything flawlessly: the writing, gameplay, visual style, music, and last but not least, the controls. And as a port of the underrated Dreamcast version, Skies of Arcadia: Legends improves upon the story by adding a new side-quest. So do yourself a favor and pick up this rare gem today! Expand
  3. May 15, 2012
    Simply a masterpiece. The sound track, the visuals, the RPG aspects of it... it's all.... so perfectly blended together. This is actually my favorite game. I think I played through this like... 5 times.
  4. May 17, 2012
    This is a great game. The huge, open world gives a very non-linear feel to a genre drenched in linearity. The battle system is turn based, although the tactics and planning it gives room to make the system very exciting. The game is massive, the gameplay is addictive, the writing is fun and interesting. It's a shame it stay to so many tropes of the genre, but for newcomers it is a revelation. I may have a pair of nostalgia goggles on, since this is one of the first JRPGs I played, but give this game a chance. It's a keeper. Expand
  5. May 19, 2012
    Skies of Arcadia is without a doubt the absolute greatest game I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The music is incredible, the graphics are still quite nice today, the storyline is simply a glorious masterpiece of gaming, the characters are fantastic, the combat is fun, and the setting is nothing short of immersive. The music is slightly altered in the Gamecube version, but it still sounds nice. In short, this game is one of the greatest games ever made, and you are doing yourself a favour by playing it. Expand
  6. May 29, 2012
    Perfection A++++++ this game is incredible one of the best or perhaps the best RPG I have ever played. Of all the video games I have played this is the only one that I never wanted to conclude. Skies has all the ingredients to be by far the best GameCube game. There must be a sequel for this game gladly would pay $100 for it.
  7. Aug 3, 2013
    An 'enhanced' port of the original Dreamcast game Skies of Arcadia: Legends remains one of the best RPGs available on consoles. Set in a world of islands that float amongst the clouds the player takes on the role of sky pirate Vyse. Initially setting out to loot a band of less likable pirates you soon discover more than you bargained for and thus is set in motion a plot that will take well in excess of thirty hours to complete.

Most of what Skies of Arcadia does is fairly traditional. Side quests can be discovered through exploration, turn-based battles use a mixture of weapon based attacks and magic and levelling up is crucial if you are to defeat the games bosses. Everything is done with such charm and assurance however to ensure that the majority of RPG fans will be hooked from the start.

1. A one-time sleeper hit [has] evolved into a bona fide classic. Quite possibly the finest next-gen RPG thus far. [Feb 2003, p.70]
  2. If you're looking for an enjoyable but fairly traditional RPG with a cracking storyline and likeable characters, Skies of Arcadia Legends comes about as highly recommended as any game can.
  3. A definitive RPG. This is the killer RPG app for GameCube. No, it isn't "Final Fantasy" (nor does it try to be), but in this writer's opinion, it's something even better.