Sonic Heroes GameCube

7.8

1. Agamecritic
    Feb 18, 2004
    Where's the plot? The awesome plots that existed in the Sonic Adventure games, (as well as the Sonic fast speeds) are not present here at all.
  2. Liz
    Jul 31, 2005
    It's all right, the graphics are ok and the sound is fine, but it is repetitive and chauvinist. team rose is the one that centers around girls and is a heck of a lot easeir then team sonic and the rest,the BOY is the powerfull one.Amy may be the leader but she is far from importent.and if your going to be feminist, at least put antother girl in there instead of big!and the otherIt's all right, the graphics are ok and the sound is fine, but it is repetitive and chauvinist. team rose is the one that centers around girls and is a heck of a lot easeir then team sonic and the rest,the BOY is the powerfull one.Amy may be the leader but she is far from importent.and if your going to be feminist, at least put antother girl in there instead of big!and the other girl(Rouge)is big breasted and has hardly any importance!i know all of the other games are like this but come on!and aside from that it has a crappy camra angle,rent,do NOT buy. Expand
  3. Dec 24, 2010
    It's an okay linear adventure game, but at the same time it kinda sucks. Which makes the fact that it's the best 3D Sonic game I've ever played seem even more tragic. There was a little fun to be had but otherwise you should avoid Sonic Heroes if you can.
  4. Jul 13, 2011
    Colorful graphics but bland in detail, to crude. Sometimes the unresponsive control slips away and make undesireable deaths, boring platforms and awful voice is avoidable. So, what now? fun? maybe a little.....
  5. Apr 14, 2011
    I loved playing this back when the Gamecube was the **** but now, after growing pretty high standards, this game comes off as tedious and mediocre. The teamwork aspect seems pretty cool at first, but then you realize that the levels are built around exploiting it as much as possible. It's not only flow-breaking to constantly change characters to do a task like defeating airborne enemiesI loved playing this back when the Gamecube was the **** but now, after growing pretty high standards, this game comes off as tedious and mediocre. The teamwork aspect seems pretty cool at first, but then you realize that the levels are built around exploiting it as much as possible. It's not only flow-breaking to constantly change characters to do a task like defeating airborne enemies and breaking walls in these long levels, but there are little to no alternate paths that can be taken with the teamwork ability. In other words, it's a pointless gimmick.

The enemies themselves are also tedium. I praise Sonic Team for making enemies harder to defeat, but they come across it the wrong way. Every enemy has a health bar, making defeating them longer and more tedious, ESPECIALLY when you're stuck in a room where it is mandatory to defeat a horde of enemies. The most frustrating session near the end where you fight the giant, hammer-wielding robots back to back, sometimes THREE AT ONCE.

However, the biggest flaw is having to replay all the levels over again in each story in the same exact order. Not only are these levels long (ranging from three to twelve minutes), but playing them over and over again for each team gets boring after a while (may I remind you that all the teams play remotely the same). The only team gameplay with a notable difference is the Chaotix Team story, and sometimes it's even worse. It involves accomplishing missions in each stage, ranging from the nice "collect-a-thon" to the challening "get through the stage unnoticed" to the anger-enducing "DESTROY EVERY ENEMY IN THE **** STAGE"

Positives? Well, the graphics are beautiful and colorful. Also, the soundtrack kicks ass, with my favorities being Ocean Palace and Hang Castle music. The special stages is also fun for the most part. The gameplay does get fun once you put aside the frustrations, but going through stages over and over is unforgivable. Also, the voice acting sucks, with characters like Cream and Big being the worst (speaking of which, why are all these characters here anyways? The Chaotix gang? From the 32X game Knuckles' Chaotix.......really?).

To wrap things up, this game isn't really a bad game, but it does have a lot of annoying problems here and there that makes it hard to recommend to the general videogame community. My suggestion is to play a copy your friend already has.

Overal Rating: 6.5/10
  6. Apr 4, 2012
    sonic heroes sonic best of gc, pathetic graphics, the game succeeded, emerald fashion a bit difficult but enjoyable. mode has 2 person disappointing story mode successful battle against the boss as successful
  7. May 5, 2013
    This game has been positively mixed for me. The concept of having three characters on a team makes this game extraordinary and fun to play with, there are levels that provide a completely new stage look for graphics and the re are not to many load screens and cgi content. The thing that bugs me the most is the amount of glitches that I keep encountering on the GCN. The stages in the SonicThis game has been positively mixed for me. The concept of having three characters on a team makes this game extraordinary and fun to play with, there are levels that provide a completely new stage look for graphics and the re are not to many load screens and cgi content. The thing that bugs me the most is the amount of glitches that I keep encountering on the GCN. The stages in the Sonic and Dark stages are like marathons that take forever and all the teams have to go through the stages at the exact same time and the bosses. The voice acting is decent, with the exception of Tails, who ruined the experience. This game is highly satisfying and is highly recommended for a good experience. Expand
  8. Aug 19, 2017
    Much like the "Sonic" games in the "Dreamcast Era" (in others word, the two "Sonic Adventure" games), "Sonic Heroes" was a gigantic part of my childhood, and I remember being a very vocal defender of the game. I remember saying that I liked "Sonic Heroes" in spite of its slippery controls and awful voice acting (those were my exact words). At the time, I hadn't played much more than theMuch like the "Sonic" games in the "Dreamcast Era" (in others word, the two "Sonic Adventure" games), "Sonic Heroes" was a gigantic part of my childhood, and I remember being a very vocal defender of the game. I remember saying that I liked "Sonic Heroes" in spite of its slippery controls and awful voice acting (those were my exact words). At the time, I hadn't played much more than the first few levels for each team. Now that I've played the game more, I couldn't disagree with my adolescent self anymore.
    "Sonic Heroes" has some really good things going for it. Visually, it's sound: the graphics may not be "breathtaking" or anything like that by today's standards, but they're pretty colorful and nice, and the voice acting, while definitely poor, has some moments of narm charm that actually end up being really memorable. That and, in my opinion, the soundtrack is incredible, and many of the songs stand as some of my favorites in the entire Sonic series. The idea of team-based gameplay is also really interesting and it adds a layer of strategy to the game: switching between characters that play differently really creates what is, in theory, a really interesting gameplay mechanic.
    However, the game lacks in a number of areas, all related to gameplay. For starters, as I mentioned earlier, the controls are absolutely awful. Slippery, cumbersome and all-around annoying to deal with, especially when it comes to grinding sections. Not only that, but the game has four separate stories but, unlike the "Sonic Adventure" games where there are enough differences to set them apart, the four stories in "Sonic Heroes" don't set themselves apart from each other well enough, making it incredibly repetitive and boring (honestly, feel satisfied if you even get past one of the stories). And look, I'm fine with a game being difficult, but there's a good kind of difficult and a frustrating kind of difficult. A good kind of difficult is when a game is very challenging, but it's well-made and fun enough that you're okay with the fact that it's so difficult. In the case of "Sonic Heroes," it's a bad kind of difficult, where you'll be asking yourself "how the hell did that happen?" more times than you should, you'll be frustrated by the controls, and you'll constantly be asking yourself "why do I have to play this four times?!?!?!"
    All things considered, I can't in good conscience say that "Sonic Heroes" has held up well over the years. In my eyes, I feel like "Sonic Heroes" is frustrating, sloppy, and in my eyes, the point in time where Sonic began his slump. Don't get me wrong, it's not necessary a "bad game," but it's one of those cases where, it does a lot of things REALLY well, but it also does a lot of things REALLY badly, and while those good things really add to the experience, the bad things heavily detract from it. If you're a big fan of the "Sonic" series and you really want to try it, go ahead, but otherwise, I'd say there are far more enticing options out there than "Sonic Heroes."
    Final rating: 5 out of 10 "Hmm..."
  9. Mar 9, 2014
    I finished Sonic's story only, and did it because it was a Sonic game.

The team mechanic is a great thing that gives tons of depth to the gameplay without adding weight or annoyance. The visuals and sounds are pretty good, nothing very noteworthy in the music department though. The story is nonexistent, they put no effort in it at all. As for the gameplay, there's just two
    I finished Sonic's story only, and did it because it was a Sonic game.

The story is nonexistent, they put no effort in it at all.

As for the gameplay, there's just two things: one, you have to redo the same levels four times. Sure it's different with Team Chaotix, but even with only Team Sonic, Rose, and Dark, redoing the same levels 3 times is already a ridiculous way to pad the game.
    And then the big problem is that past the first levels which are fine, the controls show how wild and brutal they are. You almost always fall off and die due to controls that overreact terribly to your commands. You have to keep pacing yourself at all times. Use Knuckles' punches and see yourself immediately fly off the platforms in the later levels. The camera is also not that great, albeit better than SA2B.

For the casino levels, control is extremely unresponsive. For Rail levels, the wild control will make you die tons of times. The levels all have rides, although I think it's a bit better than SA2B. The bosses are usually piss easy but the bad control can still make you fall off the edge of a platform or such.

The bad controls and padding make an otherwise very fun game into a pretty annoying and repetitive mess.
  10. Nov 27, 2014
    not the best sonic game but not the worst either, there were definitely elements of the game that were enjoyable. the game ultimately felt broken in the same way sonic adventure battle two was, but sab2 made up for it in great level design and gameplay, neither of those things are as great in this game but not s awful a sonic 06.
  11. Nov 22, 2014
    Having Knuckles, Tails and Sonic and being able to switch through the characters is a good idea and I think is fun. or the other characters, that are not them. However this game has crappy level design sometimes and game breaking glitches that make the game unpleasant. Is Sonic fast enough? Yes. But you have to switch through characters a lot. Also sometimes Sonic is too fast he's hard toHaving Knuckles, Tails and Sonic and being able to switch through the characters is a good idea and I think is fun. or the other characters, that are not them. However this game has crappy level design sometimes and game breaking glitches that make the game unpleasant. Is Sonic fast enough? Yes. But you have to switch through characters a lot. Also sometimes Sonic is too fast he's hard to control. An alright game, but there are certainly better Sonic games. Expand
  12. Dec 27, 2015
    This was my first sonic game. Until today i like it very very much, and it quite hurts to say it's not as good as i thought back when i was a child. I still think it doesn't get the compliments it deserves, but i can see why. The game itself is good, pretty good. Lots of sonic games tried to change the classic mechanic of the speedrun sessions of the blue hedgehog by adding other styles ofThis was my first sonic game. Until today i like it very very much, and it quite hurts to say it's not as good as i thought back when i was a child. I still think it doesn't get the compliments it deserves, but i can see why. The game itself is good, pretty good. Lots of sonic games tried to change the classic mechanic of the speedrun sessions of the blue hedgehog by adding other styles of gameplay, but most of them weren't successful, and that's what made the franchise fall in crises. Sonic Heroes is an exception, because the group mechanic is so good that i can almost say is as good as, or even better, than playing the classic speedrun sonic stages. I wouldn't bother the negative point if that was the case for all stages of the game, but it isn't, which bring some of the biggest flaws of the game. The gameplay is very good, both mechanics and most of the stages are very well designed, but there are some disappointments here and there: the controls can be very slippery and broken, which brings to a very frustrating experience more times than it should. Also, some stages are superb, but one third of them are quite tedious, and that wouldn't be a problem if you didn't have to play them 4 times to complete the game. That's the point where the game stinks. You have 4 different teams to play, with various difficulties. By itself, that's a nice idea, mixing different stories that eventually come together, and if it had been made as good as it was in Sonic Adventure 2, i would probably score this game way higher, but the fact that it is not is its biggest problem. The stories do not differ in any significant way, as you play through the same stages and experience the same events 4 times, repeatedly, together with a really bad voice acting and dumb scenes that could be removed without second thoughts. I can make two explanations to why sonic team decided to make such a tedious replay element: First, they wanted Sonic Heroes to be a very casual game, which you would eventually pick again after some months without playing it and, when you did it, you could choose different stories and experience (slightly) different gameplay. This can be an interesting idea for the replay element. Second, sonic team is just dumb and thought making the same game be played 4 times would be a nice idea (honestly i don't doubt it that much, they've made some pretty bad **** these days). But back to the first theory, by itself that's just an interesting idea for a replay element, but it's not good, and in sonic heroes is horrendous. Something like Mario Galaxy, for an example, is a game perfect for casual players, because it's not so hard and it has a variety of stages that makes it very enjoyable to play at any time. Casual gamers would play, for example, the sonic story and, eventually, like it, making them go play the dark team story after it. When they realize it's the exact same thing and that the uninteresting story doesn't attach the player by any means to the characters or their motivations, they would turn off the console and go back to the game when they next feel like doing it, but still having the notion the game would repeat itself 4 times, they would need 1) to be interested in playing the game again to get to its final, 2) to be interested in playing it again without motivation to get to any ending, which requires them to REALLY like the game, and eventually be surprised when they get there. In both cases the game or fails to be interesting as it makes the player go through the same thing again, making it a monotonous replay, or fails to be engaging in a short period of time, which is the second case, considering that, event loving the game, gamers wouldn’t reach the end in their first playthrough (I don’t think anyone would enjoy repeating the same thing 4 times in a row). Things get worse: the simple plot of the 4 teams has an element that, theoretically, creates a kind of cliff-hanger (but it’s so poorly made no one cares much about it), which is never solved in this simple plot. If the game wanted to be casual like it seems to be, trusting so much in itself that would make gamers go through it lots of times with different teams, it wouldn't put a cliff-hanger into that stupid plot, it would simply admit it is a stupid plot with some stupid conclusions and that's it. The game is not built for the final boss, but it throws a cliff-hanger and, with that, doesn't make itself so much a casual game that it's meant to be. It’s just a mess.
    Overall, again, the gameplay is very good and the stages are awesome, you can play with any team (except Chaotix) and it will be a very nice, but getting to the end requires a lot of patience, or an indescribable love for the game. Since you are not technically obligated to play all the 4 stories, i can say this game is pretty good, but since it's made with much more than just playing it once with any team, i can't help but shout those stupid flaws that it has.
  13. Apr 26, 2016
    While it isn't the worst Sonic game I have ever played, it could've been better. The main issue I have are the controls- sometimes it's a bit clunky with the Gamecube version atleast. I do like the idea having three characters with different abilities- speed, strength and flight. It can help with balancing the different characters depending on the situation.
  14. May 11, 2017
    I don't get the hate for this game. Yes, there are some glitches and questionable level design, but the voice acting is hilarious, the graphics are alright, the music is tolerable, and I didn't mind playing through the four campaigns to get the real ending.

#5 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2004
#2 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2004

1. Weekly Famitsu
    8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - 32 gold [Vol 786]
  2. The glorious 3D speed rush is still broken by moments where you will csream with rage inspired by whatever sadism or idiocy has kept Sonic Team from fixing its camera and control schemes after five years of 3D Sonic games.
  3. The camera is crap, the scale is awkward, the story and characters are basic and cringe-worthy, the combat is tedious, the platforming and puzzling is too basic, and I was well bored of it by the time I conquered the final level with the first of the four Teams, which wasn't even that long after I first grabbed it out of the shrink-wrap.