8.2

1. RyanM.
    Mar 10, 2006
    Spartan: Total Warrior can be summed up in simply one word...meh. But that wouldnt be a review, and Spartan is worthy of atleast a rent and a single playthrough. To start off, the game is reasonably long, and sporting flashly gorgeous graphics for the Gamecube. The game has widescale battles, and the swarms of enemies you mow over can become extremely entertaining...for an hour. See, that Spartan: Total Warrior can be summed up in simply one word...meh. But that wouldnt be a review, and Spartan is worthy of atleast a rent and a single playthrough. To start off, the game is reasonably long, and sporting flashly gorgeous graphics for the Gamecube. The game has widescale battles, and the swarms of enemies you mow over can become extremely entertaining...for an hour. See, that little devil known as tedium clicks in, and you soon realize your doing the same thing over and over. The game is good though, with presentation rivalling those of other big titles, and it is not a bad entry in the total Rome series. yet, the game is simply too repetitive too be granted a purchase at the moment. the game does not fail, and its fun in brief plays, but overall the experience is left unfullfilled. verdict? Its a gorgeous game with top notch production values, but falls short when presented with "top-notch" gameplay. Collapse
  2. JCB.
    Nov 8, 2005
    Fun mission based game just it is frustrating during some of the boss battles. Objectives keep it entertaining. Should buy if into action games. One of the best i've played since God of War.
  3. Dec 23, 2010
    I played this game, out-of-the-box on hard. And i got stuck a few places because of the difficulty, but by the time I was finished with it, I thought it was the most underrated game of all time. This game turned out to be so good, that when I later tried God of War, it was hard to get into it, because it reminded me so much of spartan. But it wasn't the spartan sequel that i was longingI played this game, out-of-the-box on hard. And i got stuck a few places because of the difficulty, but by the time I was finished with it, I thought it was the most underrated game of all time. This game turned out to be so good, that when I later tried God of War, it was hard to get into it, because it reminded me so much of spartan. But it wasn't the spartan sequel that i was longing for. anyway, great fun. I can't say this game would've been as much fun on normal or easy- but playing it on hard is the way to go: 10/10. Expand

1. The combat is satisfying, the setting is grand and the amount of troops on screen is amazing - this is war on a scale rarely seen in games and it puts the likes of "Dynasty Warriors" to shame for its combination of sheer numbers and exceptional graphics, with an outstanding soundtrack that completes the atmosphere of this historical adventure.
  2. It only betrays itself completely once – in a dismally conventional boss battle around halfway through – though at times Spartan threatens to become routine, it never does, thanks to its strong character, handsome looks and sheer, irrepressible verve. [Nov 2005, p.96]
  3. If "God Of War" never happened, Spartan: Total Warrior would have been a great example of a simple, gratuitous action game. As it is, it's merely a good one. [Nov 2005, p.124]