SSX On Tour GameCube
7.4

1. Sep 14, 2014
    Reviewers should play the games they're reviewing more thoroughly before writing. In the case of this game it's a real shame that it seems most reviewers only had criticisms which really limits the future of the SSX series.

It's so strange the world we live in... On game before on SSX 3 everybody & every magazine was practically putting it as the top game of the year. Even on YT where
    the real gamers review they all love it but then comes this one and it's made by the same team & it scores lower.

At first I felt this wasn't as good but I kept playing into it to see what & why the developers did what they did & I can reassure you this one doesn't ever feel as vibrant and neon as SSX 3 but a lot of traces of that game come up in ON TOUR once you get past the first few events.

A little in and you'll be going down hills with colorful lighting & this time lots of fireworks & big screens showing your character & you'll remember the SSX you love.

OKAY SO HERE'S SOME DEAL MAKERS OR BREAKERS:
    Style: It doesn't run in progressive scan like SSX3 & your characters are smaller so you don't see them as much. SSX3 had lots of personality because your characters were pre made with voice actors, they'd speak while you're racing along with the DJ always talking. The game felt alive. In this new game it feels more vague. You can't pick out the details on your character while moving, they don't really talk or have distinct personas. I think the developers failed to realize that the characters made the game. Yes in this one you can create your own but it's very much based in reality with even name brand stuff like Burton but that doesn't always translate well into a video game.

What I do like is the inclusion of pedestrian traffic. This is big because most people never realized playing the old game that you were alone on the mountain until you entered into a race.

In this game there's skiers, children, people falling down, doing their own thing the whole time & in FREE RIDE MODE ( which a lot of reviewers were stupid and didn't read the instruction manual that tells you it's accessible from the quick play menu) you can still pick a peak and snowboard down the whole mountain with no loading.

Gameplay: Lots to unlock in this game. Different paths to take when FREE RIDING down the mountain. Purchasing abilities now is now a point system but actual abilities like in an action adventure game and it costs a lot of money so it extends the game. What people will notice is the game moves much faster, along with the ability to boost like in SSX3 but in ON TOUR it really speeds you up & the screen does a cool blur effect.

Overall it's going to preference between SSX3 or ON TOUR. I like the music in ON TOUR and also the more interactive mountain. I like the speed also. But SSX3 has the cool characters and colorful higher resolution visuals that pulls me in. Both are good but probably for most people the favor is leaning towards SSX 3.

Regardless if you were a fan of the series don't miss this one. It's heavily influenced by Guitar Hero I think but as a game it's still as solid & also an improvement in terms of gameplay over SSX3. It just loses some character in exchange for build your own set up.
  2. Mar 6, 2014
    Although sharing many similarities with its precursor, and many improvements as well, such as skiing and Ai skiers, the game lacks the epic, clean cut professional feel that SSX 3 had. The Ai can constantly mess up your runs by crashing into you, and the game just feels too dirty and "punk" to stand up to hype.

Overall, while still a decent title with improved graphics, it is at most a
    decent entry into the ssx franchise, but not really what we were expecting. Expand

1. Even when the game begins to repeat itself, it never ceases to be fun. The initial wonderment may wear off slightly, but the engine is so solid and the gameplay mechanic is so enjoyable that SSX On Tour never drops below stellar status. [Dec 2005, p.102]
  2. You'll definitely enjoy the On Tour mode for a good while, but don't expect to love the entire game like you might have loved the previous titles in the series; it feels more like an odd but amusing experiment for the series that won't be back for the next iteration, which will most likely return to the roots that the series was most successful with.
  3. The most exhilarating ride down the slopes you'll have this generation.