Star Fox: Assault GameCube

8.3

1. Jan 19, 2016
    Literally almost everything about this game is just sick epic, from the gameplay itself to the soundtrack, to the story. Actually surpassed 64 as my favorite StarFox, never once regretted the purchase. The multiplayer is a blast too, you'll have trouble finding shooters with similar level of fun in the multiplayer. Just a great, great game. Well done, Nintendo and Namco.
  2. Jan 1, 2016
    OVERVIEW = 2
    A 3D Corridor Shooter.
    Star Fox 64 is possibly my favorite game of all time. It was the first game to have constant voiced characters talk to you throughout the missions, the first to offer any kind of touch feedback, looked amazing and controlled perfectly. 8 years later, Star Fox Assault is a pile of garbage. Seriously, it’s like a design document for how to ruin sequels.
    OVERVIEW = 2
    A 3D Corridor Shooter.

PRESENTATION = 3
    It looks bland, like Metroid crossed with Halo. N64 graphics had a certain charm because the low-polygon count meant developers had to apply aesthetic creativity to construct shapes. Graphics are sharper now, but look worse. And, aside from the space level, all of the environments are boring. There’s nothing as in SF Assault as amazing as the N64’s Solar (i.e., the surface of the sun), no underwater levels, no videogame remakes of famous movie scenes (SF64’s Katina mission was essentially a better Independence Day videogame than the official one). The explosions lack weight and there are no physics.
    The plot is unwatchable but skippable. Star Fox 64’s only flaw was the unskippable entry and debriefing cutscenes before and after each mission, and I’ll grant that Star Fox Assault does at least let you skip these. That is the only way in which Assault has improved upon its predecessor.

MECHANICS/CONTROL = 0
    Star Fox 64 was one of the few flight combat games I liked, because most games in that genre are all about achieving homing missile lock-on. SF64 was one of the few games where the machine gun manual fire mattered just as much.
    Step 1 of ruining the best game ever made was screwing up the previously perfect vehicular controls. Back in the N64 days, when there were no post-release patches, developers had to get the “feel” of a game right the first time. SF Assault’s movement feels wrong; in particular, the vertical movement speed feels too slow. It gets even slower when you brake, which is bizarre, because you should be turning FASTER when you brake. Even weirder, the vertical movement speed starts off just slightly too slow, and then after the first level it gets even slower even when piloting the same aircraft. It also feels like it takes too long to achieve homing lock-on.
    But that’s just the Arwing spaceship. The Landmaster tank has been totally ruined. You no longer control the left and right jump-jets separately, and the aiming is all off. I would have played an entire game based on just the SF64 Landmaster levels, but the SF Assault Landmaster is unplayable.
    There’s no submarine in this game, a nice change of pace in SF64, but not my favorite.
    But Step 2, the absolute worst design decision possible, was to make most of the game a third-person on-foot shooter. You’re flying only 1/3 of the time (some of the on-foot sections supposedly let you jump into an Arwing, but only in areas without enemies). That wouldn’t be so bad if the on-foot sections didn’t have the worst implemented controls ever coded. You move slow, with tank controls (i.e. turning instead of strafing), and you aim slower. It’s like an early Resident Evil game, except the enemies attack as if it were an action-FPS.
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike made the exact same stumble when it redesigned half the missions to have you play on foot with awful, awful on-foot controls, but at least RS3 kept the excellent vehicular controls from SW:RS2:Rogue Leader. The GTA series ruined their vehicular controls when moving from the Playstation 2 era to GTA IV, but at least GTA IV compensated somewhat by making it a decent on-foot shooter, and GTA V now drives okay. Star Fox Assault is just ruined its flight combat for nothing, and added on-foot sections so horrible that those levels are literally unplayable to me. I only got through it by using someone else’s save file and playing only the flight levels.

DESIGN = 2
    The flight levels are okay at best, never as great as the SF 64 levels. And, sadly, there are only 4 flight missions out of the 10 total levels. The last level is unreasonably difficult, even on “easy”: lots of cheap hits and no healing items. Also, you never get to fight Star Wolf, this series’ main antagonists. They show up, but completing the missions always means ignoring them and going for the critical targets.
    The game is just a mess, through and through. How hard would it have been to make a decent sequel? Take the same exact mechanics from Star Fox 64, without tweaking, and build more levels? Maybe improve the graphics? I realize that sounds like releasing an expansion pack as a sequel, but my point is that that should be your starting point. No one who enjoys video games can hold the Gamecube controller with SF:Assault running and deny that it feels awful compared to its 8-year-old prequel.
    Instead of a true sequel, the world got Star Fox Adventures, a Zelda clone in Star Fox clothing, and then this. Maybe Nintendo keeps rereleasing the N64 classics on modern handhelds because they’ve given up on ever doing better.
  3. sdc
    Jun 24, 2015
    Incredibly underrated; they do something different, fanboys will hate in every way shape or form. I don't give a damn about your nostalgia boners; it's different, unique, and still fun. I don't care if these foot sections reappear; I'm more than happy with them. Throw in a pre-apocalyptic atmosphere, amazing Arwing sections, graphics that'll knock your socks off, and an orchestral scoreIncredibly underrated; they do something different, fanboys will hate in every way shape or form. I don't give a damn about your nostalgia boners; it's different, unique, and still fun. I don't care if these foot sections reappear; I'm more than happy with them. Throw in a pre-apocalyptic atmosphere, amazing Arwing sections, graphics that'll knock your socks off, and an orchestral score that packs a punch; we have what I believe to be Star Fox' greatest adventure. 64 not withstanding. Expand
  4. May 25, 2015
    This is a really fun game ya its not the traditional star fox game with the on foot missions but those are fun too.One big thing people is that its 50% on rails and 50% foot missions which is not true because in almost all of those on foot missions you can get into a landmaster or airwing to help out you friends in the air.Dont get me wrong the game is not perfect when your on foot theThis is a really fun game ya its not the traditional star fox game with the on foot missions but those are fun too.One big thing people is that its 50% on rails and 50% foot missions which is not true because in almost all of those on foot missions you can get into a landmaster or airwing to help out you friends in the air.Dont get me wrong the game is not perfect when your on foot the camara can be a little bit of a pain but that rarely happened to me.The story is very good it has new enemy called the aparoids which are bugs that can take over robots and machines. The story does take some sad moments which im glad they did.when i wrote this its this games 10 year aniversary so happy aniversary. Expand
  5. Dec 9, 2014
    Love it or hate it, it's my favorite game out of the entire series. Sure, the controls may be annoying and the story may be way too short, but honestly, these things didn't really bother me that much. Despite it's length, The story mode was well made and fleshed out , filled with emotional and epic moments that made me realize that this series can be so much more than just Star Fox 64 overLove it or hate it, it's my favorite game out of the entire series. Sure, the controls may be annoying and the story may be way too short, but honestly, these things didn't really bother me that much. Despite it's length, The story mode was well made and fleshed out , filled with emotional and epic moments that made me realize that this series can be so much more than just Star Fox 64 over and over again. The multiplayer was forgettable in my opinion and I never played it that much (probably because I had no friends). The land segments were awesome despite all the hate it got. I thought they were unique and original. Despite it's flaws, Star Fox: Assault is a great game that was criticized because it wasn't Star Fox 64.5. This was a bold step for this series and I would gladly have a Star Fox: Assault 2. Expand
  6. Mar 12, 2014
    Everything about this game is amazing. It shows heart breaking moments, like with General Pepper, and Peppy, and it is very good, and I love this game, my opinion, its the second best one. Best one is Star Fox Adventures, but this one was just AMAZING!
  7. Sep 5, 2013
    First off, I want to get something out of the way. I have constantly heard people bash the land segments in this game due to poor controls. I agree that the default control scheme is balls, but if you change it to the twin stick control scheme, everything is fixed. With that said, this is a fantastic game. The story is greatly executed, the characters are more believable than in previousFirst off, I want to get something out of the way. I have constantly heard people bash the land segments in this game due to poor controls. I agree that the default control scheme is balls, but if you change it to the twin stick control scheme, everything is fixed. With that said, this is a fantastic game. The story is greatly executed, the characters are more believable than in previous Star Fox games, the voice acting is good, the gameplay is fun whether you are on foot, in the seat of an Arwing or at the controls of a Landmaster tank. And, to top it all off, it's easily one of the best looking games on the Gamecube, next to Resident Evil 4 and Star Fox: Adventures before it. While the campaign is rather short, it has a good amount of replay value with medals to earn and collectables to find. If you have a Gamecube, and are a fan of the franchise, pick this game up. Expand
  8. Aug 10, 2013
    I do not understand why people complain so much about this game.
    This is a great Star Fox game, I have only played the 64 remake on 3DS along with the SNES one.
    It is by far better than the 64 one. The combat on foot is a lot of fun, and multiplayer is GREAT!

7 out of 10, since it could be longer.
  9. May 25, 2013
    Its not better than Star Fox 64, but...
    It definitely is an original after StarFox Adventures, adding air and ground combat to the franchise. After this one, I can't wait for Nintendo to make the next Star fox game.
    (Rumor has it its an FPS, which sounds cool!)
  10. Apr 19, 2012
    i bought this game yesterday and i wasted months trying to find a copy after the junky one i got off line.....this is yet one of my favorite games...im really impressed...the ground missions and landmasters may be a little challenging now and then but i still find this game fun....this game has a very short appeal it lasted me about four hours in bronze....and te multi player is prettyi bought this game yesterday and i wasted months trying to find a copy after the junky one i got off line.....this is yet one of my favorite games...im really impressed...the ground missions and landmasters may be a little challenging now and then but i still find this game fun....this game has a very short appeal it lasted me about four hours in bronze....and te multi player is pretty good....i can now never stop playing this game...if i could i would give this game a twelve....i highly recomend this game for fun star fox fans.... Collapse
  11. Mar 27, 2012
    i don't see how people can hate on this game. this game is the most advanced star fox game yet. it had a great story, some slight humor the boss battles were great, if only the game was longer. also, i liked the on land levels. they make good multiplayer.
  12. Dec 11, 2011
    The on-rail shooter levels gave me everything I hoped for. Beautiful graphics, smooth controls, plenty of enemies to shoot at (and Slippy getting shot at, like always), and challenging bosses. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, there were only 3 of them. Wing riding was was a creative new addition, but there were only 2 levels with that, too. The rest are ground levels, for which theThe on-rail shooter levels gave me everything I hoped for. Beautiful graphics, smooth controls, plenty of enemies to shoot at (and Slippy getting shot at, like always), and challenging bosses. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, there were only 3 of them. Wing riding was was a creative new addition, but there were only 2 levels with that, too. The rest are ground levels, for which the controls I found to be, frankly, lacking. It was a good idea, but they simply didn't execute it properly. One thing that helped the game overall was it's epic soundtrack. So to wrap it up, they needed a greater emphasis on traditional rail shooter levels, less ground levels, AND better controls for them. Expand
  13. Sep 13, 2011
    Bloody hell. This is not good. What started off as a classic space shooting franchise has now turned into half-arsed cross-over attempts. I do admit the graphics are very good and Krystal and Wolf's voices are pretty much bang on, all other voice actors didn't seem to care, even Grant Goodeve, who did a very good job of voicing Team Fortress 2's Engineer. The game is too short, PantherBloody hell. This is not good. What started off as a classic space shooting franchise has now turned into half-arsed cross-over attempts. I do admit the graphics are very good and Krystal and Wolf's voices are pretty much bang on, all other voice actors didn't seem to care, even Grant Goodeve, who did a very good job of voicing Team Fortress 2's Engineer. The game is too short, Panther should die in a fire, somebody should teabag the on-foot missions, the controls in the in-flight modes appear to be made to feel like balsa wood and just simply, it's no fun. If the franchise keeps on going at this rate, another beloved franchise will fall into a pit of lost dreams and hopes. Thanks a lot Namco. Expand
  14. Jul 3, 2011
    I've lost all respect for Star Fox when they released this game. I wanted to feel the old school Star Fox while i played this game, but the bulky mechanics and downgraded vehicles was a sad panda. And once again, the romance between the two foxes were very distracting to the game itself. I hope to see Star Fox 64 material soon...
  15. Jun 7, 2011
    I'm baffled by how low of a score this got. Star Fox Adventures was an awful Star Fox game (note it wasn't a bad game generally speaking). This game lived up to my expectations as to what a star fox game should be. The Arwing and Landmaster controls feel very familiar and I had no trouble adjusting to them. Since it was extremely difficult to unlock the On-Foot mode for multiplayer inI'm baffled by how low of a score this got. Star Fox Adventures was an awful Star Fox game (note it wasn't a bad game generally speaking). This game lived up to my expectations as to what a star fox game should be. The Arwing and Landmaster controls feel very familiar and I had no trouble adjusting to them. Since it was extremely difficult to unlock the On-Foot mode for multiplayer in star fox 64 (yes, that exists...) I only got to try that out a little bit. But it wasn't too far off from what they had in this game when you were on foot. The single player story, while not as good as star fox 64's, was very enjoyable. As a star fox fan I felt very gratified when I finished it. I actually thought it was a bit long for a star fox game, but it wasn't too long that you couldn't play through it in a sitting. This is important because with the first two (released) star fox games they have high replay values and play more like arcade games.

In short, if you are a fan of star fox or simply a fan of 3rd person rail shooters....you should check this game out.
  16. Guy!
    May 24, 2007
    This game has the best sci-fi concept since star wars. The special affects threw me and the game was almost too exciting. The third person shooting on foot is a good idea, but the weapons on foot are almost as stupid as the gadgets on spy kids. Also, the lame anime junk has got to go. On the whole, definently worth playing.
  17. meyeah
    Apr 5, 2007
    This game was ok but it should have been in first-person and they should have gotten rid of teh lock on with evrey gun.
  18. AndrewC.
    Feb 20, 2007
    I absolutely love Star Fox and Star Fox 64. I absolutely hate this game. What went wrong? Well let's see here...Star Fox is supposed to be a SPACE SHOOTER, not some half-baked third-person shooter. The only redeeming quality in this game is the flight stages, but even those don't live up to the SF name. A truly disappointing effort in almost every way.
  19. JoshuaH.
    Sep 15, 2006
    I'm glad I just rented this game. It's an insult to the entire Star Fox franchise in its entirety--even worse than SF Adventures. I completed it in less than 4 hours--and there was no incentive to go back and relive it all again like SF64 (which had multiple paths you could take). I cannot believe Namco. They have let down Star Fox fans everywhere and SF should be totally I'm glad I just rented this game. It's an insult to the entire Star Fox franchise in its entirety--even worse than SF Adventures. I completed it in less than 4 hours--and there was no incentive to go back and relive it all again like SF64 (which had multiple paths you could take). I cannot believe Namco. They have let down Star Fox fans everywhere and SF should be totally forgotten in the closet of bad games (including E.T. for the NES). It's a shame Star Fox Command had to pick up where this storyline left off, because they practically sent it spirally down into a sewage system that smelled of poor gameplay and storyline. Do yourself a favor; screw Namco and pick up Star Fox Command in its stead. Expand
  20. NessaA.
    Jul 23, 2006
    I love this game, especially the multiplayer mode. I know it's short, but the graphics and gameplay make up for it!
  21. StarfoxRoxYurSox
    Jan 31, 2006
    It pwns, multiplayer is awesome, i dont no y u dissapointed ppl thught it was going to be Halo, but it works for me. Ill bet all you "dissapointed people" play xbox anyway
  22. Puffy
    Nov 22, 2005
    star fox assut is more like the n64 n super nintendo versions of the game .. its ok .... but really not as good as star fox adventure...the mutlyplyer aspect is pretty fun... but it is easy to get lost... the missons are ok... lot of the ground missons remind me of star wars... the sounds n all.....u can tell it even the look of star fox reminds u of star wars on the ground ....i like star fox assut is more like the n64 n super nintendo versions of the game .. its ok .... but really not as good as star fox adventure...the mutlyplyer aspect is pretty fun... but it is easy to get lost... the missons are ok... lot of the ground missons remind me of star wars... the sounds n all.....u can tell it even the look of star fox reminds u of star wars on the ground ....i like star fox adventrue better...but if ur lookin for a flyin game like the n64 n super nintendo one this one has it ......but ito me i really didnt like it .... i rent this first if i were u ......i boarrowed from a friend for few days ....its just a average game.. nothin speaial. Expand
  23. MylesP.
    Jul 6, 2005
    Star fox is ok in all, but i could not find a computer mode in the multiplayer section. this game is sorta like halo and halo2 because of the type of vehicles you can hop on and come out of. I hope they come up with another star fox with computer mode in the multiplayer section and more weapons and vehicles you can use in the game.
  24. YoYo
    Jun 27, 2005
    This game rocks. I thought that they should've put a co-op in the story mode. That would've been cool. Anyways, this game I definetly recomend to people who have or havent played a Star Fox game. The multiplayer i awesome. I'm sort of glad there is no online, because I like to play with someone I know like my friends. Great game, get it if you dont have it.
  25. BenG.
    May 28, 2005
    Honestly, this game is just above average. It has good flying missions, mediocre on-foot missions, mediocre multiplayer, and a retarded story. Not nearly as great as the epic Starfox: 64. Just buy something better that Nintendo has to offer, like Resident Evil 4 or Metroid Prime.
  26. EdgarB.
    May 13, 2005
    Great Game. People complain that it is short, but yet again think about it people. Every StarFox was short but good! Good story thats different from Andross usual. AWESOME AND ADDICTIVE MULTIPLAYER. You can use Arwings, LandMasters, and walk on foot with an array of weapons and switch between them all. A pretty good bit of unlockables playing VS mode matches. ALl in all a great game.
  27. FoxMcCloud
    Mar 15, 2005
    Star Fox: Assault is a very fun game. It is a bit short, but almost all of the levels are fun enough to enjoy several more times on different difficulty settings and trying to get new medals. The multi-player is a blast with about twelve different weapons, all of which fill their own niche. The weapons are fairly well balanced and while none of the weapons are obsolete, some are obviously Star Fox: Assault is a very fun game. It is a bit short, but almost all of the levels are fun enough to enjoy several more times on different difficulty settings and trying to get new medals. The multi-player is a blast with about twelve different weapons, all of which fill their own niche. The weapons are fairly well balanced and while none of the weapons are obsolete, some are obviously better than others. The game would have much better replay value though if it had bots in the multi-player and coop in the story mode. That and the fact that it's short are my only three knocks against it. It is for most a good purchase, especially if there is another person you can play against regularly. The multi-player is really what will keep it entertaining months after you get it. Expand
  28. Diego
    Mar 13, 2005
    I dont know why you hate this game.The on foot missions are pretty fun and the controls rock. I love this game and I think that this game is the best in the series.
  29. PaulW.
    Mar 4, 2005
    This game is great! If there were more missions i would give it a 10. I believe that this game is clearly underrated. I looked at some of the reviews and they just kept on saying it is a so-so game. The multi-player is excellent, and the space grahics are NICE! The Arwing and Landmaster are awesome. Walking is so-so. And about the no online, it's better playing games against friends. This game is great! If there were more missions i would give it a 10. I believe that this game is clearly underrated. I looked at some of the reviews and they just kept on saying it is a so-so game. The multi-player is excellent, and the space grahics are NICE! The Arwing and Landmaster are awesome. Walking is so-so. And about the no online, it's better playing games against friends. Online there's some people who play a game so much and so often that they are masters, but have no life. I'd rather go without online. Expand
  30. RogerC.
    Feb 28, 2005
    An excellent game, who's only fault is the length. Don't base your purchase off of the average "71" score. This starfox is much like starfox64, tons of action, amazing graphics, and solid voice acting.
  31. Scott
    Feb 27, 2005
    There's a really weak trend as of late when reviewers take a look at a new game. They tend to focus on the things the game didn't do. There's no LAN support, no online support, and it's a linear game. All the star fox games are linear, with the exception of a couple small deviations in paths in the original two games. There is nothing wrong with this game. The controls There's a really weak trend as of late when reviewers take a look at a new game. They tend to focus on the things the game didn't do. There's no LAN support, no online support, and it's a linear game. All the star fox games are linear, with the exception of a couple small deviations in paths in the original two games. There is nothing wrong with this game. The controls (like metroid prime) take a bit to get used to. Afterwards it becomes very easy to play, and I actually love the landmaster. The low reviews for this game is just another attempt by video games reviewers to knock nintendo down a couple notches for not being sony. Has anyone even tried multiplayer? There's almost no comments on that. I think everyone is so caught up in playing online they've forgotten they have real friends and it's way more fun to play with three of your good friends. Much more so than playing with a bunch of 14 year old kids on Xbox Live. For all the people who cherish online play and don't remember what it's like to have fun playing video games, rent it at least. You might be surprised. But for the rest of us, who miss the days when games were fun, buy it, you won't be dissapointed. Expand
  32. DerekH.
    Feb 18, 2005
    I really enjoyed star fox for snes and i loved star fox for 64. so i expected a bad ass star fox for game cube. i was wrong, star fox adventures blew chunks. it was like playing a sorry zelda. i hated it!!! but it seemed like they finally got it back together with star fox assault. the running around part wasn't too hot, but it was still fun. the arwing and landmaster kick ass!! i
  33. AB
    Feb 18, 2005
    Recently Namco has been doing very well in making great games for the GameCube, so what happened here? Star Fox: Assault is a devastating disappointment that shouldn't bear the Star Fox name, the Nintendo logo, or anyone's time. The game is short. The game is dull. The game is boring. The only good things about Assault are the good graphics and nice music and sound effects. But, Recently Namco has been doing very well in making great games for the GameCube, so what happened here? Star Fox: Assault is a devastating disappointment that shouldn't bear the Star Fox name, the Nintendo logo, or anyone's time. The game is short. The game is dull. The game is boring. The only good things about Assault are the good graphics and nice music and sound effects. But, then again, those aspects aren't as important as gameplay. Basically, they failed on the parts that mean something and did a decent job on those that don't. Expand
  34. NintendoPSBox
    Feb 6, 2005
    It's a decent game, but not as impressive or good as Metroid Prime 2 or Ratchet and Clank 3.
  35. BReilly
    Feb 4, 2005
    Worst Star Fox game ever. Huge disappointment.
  36. BenK.
    Feb 3, 2005
    OMG THIS RULES!!!! If it isn't broke why break it? Star Fox didn't need to be free roaming because it's Star Fox. IGN sounds like they expected Grand Theft Star Fox ,rather than a classic title that builds on what captivated audiences in the first place. This is an all around fun game that most everyone can enjoy over and over again.
  37. Apr 19, 2012

#5 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2005
#9 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2005

1. Weekly Famitsu
    8 / 8 / 7 / 8 - silver [Vol. 846]
  2. While certainly not perfect – the game is short and could have benefited greatly from LAN or online multiplayer support – there really isn't a more versatile arcade-style shooter for the GameCube system.
  3. Undone by the clunky and unpolished on-foot missions. Star Fox: Assault is a missed opportunity for the developers to resurrect the series, which means you probably should give this a miss too.