Super Mario Sunshine GameCube

8.5

1. DemonicAngel
    Nov 26, 2003
    I want some of what these reviewers were obviously smoking. Either that, or I must be playing the wrong game. Graphics and sound are lovely, but the controls seem too loose for a Mario game, and the third-person camera is the single worst third-person camera I have ever experienced. Combining these faults makes accurate control no more than a crazy dream, and a platformer lives or dies by I want some of what these reviewers were obviously smoking. Either that, or I must be playing the wrong game. Graphics and sound are lovely, but the controls seem too loose for a Mario game, and the third-person camera is the single worst third-person camera I have ever experienced. Combining these faults makes accurate control no more than a crazy dream, and a platformer lives or dies by the accuracy of its controls. This one is dead and buried. Expand
  2. Uter
    Jul 10, 2003
    Hugely Disappointing - while it's fun at times I must say that I was expecting a lot more from the Mario series. The part that I find most disappointing is that you've got to load up the level for each star separately. If 1 goal stumps you, you've got to exit and reload the level if you want to attempt another. I just don't understand why they took a step backward from Hugely Disappointing - while it's fun at times I must say that I was expecting a lot more from the Mario series. The part that I find most disappointing is that you've got to load up the level for each star separately. If 1 goal stumps you, you've got to exit and reload the level if you want to attempt another. I just don't understand why they took a step backward from Mario 64. Another gripe is with the control, especially during the underwater and pinball machine areas. Yet another problem is with Yoshi. Quite frankly, he stinks. The Yoshi music is awful and cluttered; Yoshi dies if he touches water (hmm i seem to remember kinda liking water in mario world 1 and 2). Using Yoshi is more of a chore than a reward, which is just plain wrong. I dislike how Nintendo decided to ditch the 1st Bowser kids in favor of a generic one. Remember Wendy, Morton, Lemmy and the rest from Mario 3? What happened to them? It just seems poorly conceived on the whole. I'm sure others have probably mentioned this, but the levels all have the same theme which becomes a bit tiresome. Oh 1 final gripe is with the camera - my gosh, it's the worst ever in any game I've seen. It's also de-evolved from Mario 64 and become much worse. It's always wandering and adjusting by itself which can be frustrating while making tricky platfroming jumps. On the bright side, I was entertained enough to play through and beat it (109 shines!). I think die hard Mario fans will be very disappointed Mario SUnshine, but I could see newcomers thinking it's a quality title. Expand
  3. Fremenwarrior
    Apr 27, 2003
    I liked this game but I was very disappointed. It wasn't like the other mario games, you don't get to use koopa shells and throw them at stuff or get a fire flower. It just didn't seem like a mario game at all much like Luigi's mansion. At least that had boo's but it still wasn't a classic mario game. Am I the only person that was disappointed?
  4. RyanB.
    Jul 10, 2005
    Feels like it's lost the magic; the rhythm of the game is all wrong, and compared to the previous 3D Mario encounter, Sunshine is extremely restrictive on the player's actions in favor of telling a coherent plot - something Mario games have never, ever needed. The game holds your hand far too much, forcing you to complete events in a preset order rather than allowing you to go Feels like it's lost the magic; the rhythm of the game is all wrong, and compared to the previous 3D Mario encounter, Sunshine is extremely restrictive on the player's actions in favor of telling a coherent plot - something Mario games have never, ever needed. The game holds your hand far too much, forcing you to complete events in a preset order rather than allowing you to go anywhere and do anything as the level design suggests. Controlling Mario is amazing, though. The portly plumber stops on a dime - it's too bad most of the levels never really put his skills to the test. The game is full of boss encounters that look tough but aren't, and vice versa - bosses that you'd think to be easy are often times the hardest ones in the game. Overall - fairly unpolished, a Mario game that fires on all the wrong cylinders. It's not BAD, persay, but falls way below the standard we've come to expect from Nintendo. Expand
  5. JasonC.
    Jun 14, 2007
    Maybe as a fan of the old 2D Mario, I am biased, but this game just seemed like a mess of poor controls, unresponsive camera, and mindless repetition. A couple of the boss fights were original, but mostly the game was frustrating. It seems to cater to kids, but would be way too hard for younger kids to beat.
  6. ShawnT.
    Feb 23, 2003
    Im sick of seeing Mario kick bowser's ass. Yes besides that this game is very bad. I rented it and i couldn't stand it!!! It got a 4 because i thought it had amazing graphics........dont buy this game it's like foreign Dilbert for preschoolers.
  7. MichaelF.
    Aug 23, 2002
    He uses water for his attack and he uses it to clean the island. i wouldnt waste my time playing a fake world.
  8. Jul 19, 2013
    I think, that this game is the most bad mario game I've ever played (I don't count Games like "Mario teaches typing" or "Hotel Mario"). For me as Ultimate Mario Fan, I can count myself to one of those who were disappointed. Why do you have a watercannon? And what's with the synchronisation of everyone?
    If you want to play a good 3D-Mario-Game: Buy Super Mario 64.

#2 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2002
#2 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2002

1. The FLUDD system is used throughout the game and can either be why the game is so great or why the game is so mediocre.
  2. To say that the camera in this game is atrocious is like saying being kicked in the teeth kinda hurts-it gives the person an idea about how bad it is, but it doesn't even begin to describe the agony in detail.
    A masterpiece of superior game design, infinite gameplay variety, creativity, and life-and it's got a water cannon…and a damn brilliant one at that.